• Replies 71.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

Checking in on Texas A&M during Black History Month always provides insight into aggy culture. Today we have a rather well written Op-Ed that offers counterpoint to John Sharp's moment of channeling his inner George Wallace and essentially declaring "Sul Ross today...Sul Ross tomorrow...Sul Ross forever."

http://www.thebatt.com/opinion/a-m-is-still-missing-the-point/article_7ae23c9a-6a7e-11eb-b37a-6754caaf1e0e.html

The money quote from Op-Ed:

"Keeping the statue of a white supremacist at the heart of campus while also increasing funding to promote diversity has an uncomfortable feeling of bribery to it. It is as if A&M is paying marginalized students to ignore the ties to white supremacy now that they have thrown money at the problem."

Being me, I just had to jump up on my soap box and say a few words about Texas A&M:

As always, the aggys deliver in the comments section, turning what others use to promote discussion into a competition to show who is the least educated aggy.

Coming strong out of the gate is "Bobobea" stating (I am guessing the 'all-caps' emphasis is Bobobea's):

"Please do better research. “The VITAL support that Sul Ross as president provided to Prairie View were significant and a true testament to his contributions to African American students.” -Former Prairie View A&M President 2003-2017 and noted historian George C Wright."

The myth that Sul Ross saved Prairie View is a deeply racist trope which not only displays the systemic racism of aggy culture, it also demonstrates just how bad the aggy education is.

Sul Ross took over as head of both A&M and Prairie View in 1890 after two terms as Texas governor. Ross' time in the Governor's mansion saw the complete dismantling of Black elected representation and the birth of Jim Crow laws in Texas. I have explained this is detail in my Sul Ross piece over at aggypedia.com

Texas A&M and Prairie View were both created in 1876 with Prairie View being a branch of A&M. Between 1876 and 1890 Prairie View was completely neglected by the racist "leadership" of Texas A&M. A school upon whose campus professors openly lectured about "the abomination of African citizenship," as they did at Texas A&M at the time (I have no idea when this "tradition" was ended) could not be expected to nurture Black intellectuals.

In 1890, Congress got so fed up with racists holding back Black education it passed the Land Grant Act of 1890 to specifically fund the neglected Black Land Grant institutions.

What "saved" Prairie View wasn't a virulent white supremacist school president suddenly becoming a benevolent and enlightened individual. Legislative intervention and targeted funding from the federal government is what "saved" Prairie View.

Never will you hear an aggy explain how the Land Grant Act of 1890 affected Prairie View. Every single one of those racist fucks insists Sul Ross is the only reason Prairie View exists today when the reality is that Sul Ross, and men like Sul Ross, were the core reasons for the problems at Prairie View.

Texas A&M proudly boasts of a "$13 Billion endowment, the largest of any public university in the nation." Earlier this week, I showed the privately funded endowment of TAMU College Station is only $471 million. So of their supposed $13B endowment, only 3% of that was contributed by aggy alumni. The other 97% was provided by the people of Texas through A&M's status as a branch college of The University of Texas. How much is Prairie View's endowment? It was at $82 million prior to Mackenzie Bezos' recent gift to the school. John Sharp, and the other "traditionalists" at A&M have ensured 100% of the public endowment money provided the school by the people of Texas went to the white university and none of it has filtered down to the TAMU System's Black institution. Yet John Sharp can't understand who Blacks are asserting the Texas A&M System is racist at its corps core.

The systemic racism of aggy culture can't admit white aggys were the problem in 1890. They can't admit white aggys are still the problem in 2021.  So they omit facts, craft an alternative history that glorifies virulent white supremacists, and they teach this twisted fraud of history on gullible rubes who lack the intellectual capacity to discern between history and fairy tales. They continue to do this to this day. This is who the people of Texas A&M are.

As the Op-Ed states, even John Sharp can no longer hide from the reality that Texas A&M is one of the worst performing schools in the nation in terms of diversity enrollment.

Maybe removing the shrine to white supremacy at the heart of your campus would be a good first step in changing that, John.

The people of Texas deserve better than Texas A&M.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 1

Most people don't know tomorrow will mark 163 years since "the cherished design of the Republic and the State of Texas" was realized and The University of Texas, Texas A&M's parent institution, was established by the Texas Legislature.

This will also mark 163 years since the establishment of the Permanent University Fund, the endowment fund overseen by the University of Texas Board of Regents for the benefit of The University and its branch institutions. The PUF was initially funded with $100,000 of the money given to Texas via the Compromise of 1850. During the Civil War, the Legislature raided the PUF leaving just $0.58 in cash and a handful of state warrants (IOUs) of dubious value as the fund's assets.

The Fourteenth Amendment stated "neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States." There was extensive discussion whether the warrants held in the PUF were worthless pursuant to this clause. It was left to the Legislature to determine how The University established in 1858 would be funded. This would be worked out and, in 1883, the first institution of higher education in Texas created "Of the people of Texas, by the people of Texas, and for the people of Texas" opened its doors.

"One star, one state, one University."

What started in 1858 "Changed the World." (Well, not all the world. College Station is essentially still perpetually doomed to remain mired in the 19th century)

UT Establishment .jpeg

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 1

Still hasn't produced a drop of anything since it was built. One of the most egregious wastes of money in decades. And no one will ever be held accountable.

The federal government announced it has already contracted enough supply to vaccinate every American. If this facility ever produces anything significant related to the Covid pandemic, it won't be for the benefit of any Texan or any American.

And few people are surprised in the least.

Evidently, the facility in College Station uses cell-based technology which differs greatly from mRNA technology. The bottleneck in producing the mRNA vaccines purchased by the federal government is the lack of availability of raw materials. Manufacturing capacity isn't an issue. (Background reading for those interested: https://www.biospace.com/article/harnessing-nature-for-faster-mrna-vaccine-manufacturing/)

So, in short, the reason the College Station site has been useless seems to be the facility couldn't support advancements in science and technology. Before it was constructed, it was already outdated by advancements developed at other universities.

Who would have ever thought something like that could happen at Texas A&M?

Bottom line - It is a complete waste of taxpayer dollars to send money to Texas A&M for innovation or technological advancement. Their culture lacks the intellectual capital necessary to deliver positive outcomes in futuristic or technologically advanced disciplines.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20130326/NEWS/303269670

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has approved the creation of a $91 million influenza-vaccine manufacturing facility in a joint venture between the Texas A&M University System and GlaxoSmithKline in what Chancellor John Sharp described Tuesday as “one of the most significant developments ever in the state of Texas.”

The facility will speed up the research, development and delivery of vaccines and therapeutics in cases of pandemics or other national emergencies.

The center would also supply preventive vaccine for pandemic influenza, and, once it’s up and running, will be able to supply 50 million vaccine doses within four months of receiving a strain of the flu, with initial doses ready in 12 weeks.

The facility will anchor the Center for Innovation in Advanced Development and Manufacturing in Bryan-College Station, establishing what Sharp characterized as “third coast biopharmaceuticals.” A&M is home to one of only three so-called CIADMS being created in the nation.

“It’s a game-changer not just for Texas but for folks everywhere,” Sharp said at a morning news conference with Gov. Rick Perry to announce the effort.

Perry said the center would bring more than $41 billion in in-state expenditures over the next 25 years and directly and indirectly create more than 6,800 jobs.

“More importantly there will be lives that will be saved around the world because of what is happening in the state of Texas,” said Perry.

Edited by Randolph Duke

No CR. I'm posting this here because Perry is an aggy and a freaking idiot. I'm sure all the patients in Hendricks hospital (in Abilene) who had gone without heat or water for 2 days were celebrating our grid independence along with the other 2M+ suffering. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Perry-says-Texans-wiling-to-suffer-blackouts-to-15956705.php

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, bornbama1 said:

I used to wonder why the active constant obsession of The Longhorns hatred of the aggy. Because as much as any good Bama fan hates the barn, it's mostly just understood hate unless/until something happens or game time.

After I have experienced the aggy fanbase on an annual basis I understand it. After the first year where a couple of Johnny 8balls YOLO passes won them a game, suddenly they're part of the conference "elite". Despite the fact they really haven't won a game of importance since. All that win got them was a big contract and buyout for Rumlin.

I don't care enough to look it up, but I don't think they've even went to a NY6 Bowl because they were the Conference runner up and got to go because the other team ahead of them went to the playoffs. They've certainly never been to the conference Championship game

When aggy came to the SEC I was ok with it, but would have rather had Texas. Too bad there is a no return policy on discounted sale items.

If you have had enough of aggy, just wait until you get to know them better.

They get far more unbearable over time.

If you haven't yet, head over to aggypedia.com

People have trouble understand why so many in the state of Texas have completely given up on the thought of aggy ever being anything but an embarrassment of the people of Texas because most people don't believe us when we tell them about those idiot rednecks.

Evidently you are beginning to understand we don't make it up. They truly are as bizarre as we say.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Can you imagine your livelihood being tied to creative ways of keeping aggy football relevant? Now they are riding the coat tails of other teams other sports and equating them to their football team. 

Someone who does the twiyter should remind Billy how aggy did all those years against bdf teams.

On 2/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Honest to god, can't tell if this is fake.  Or if he's kidding.

I am almost certain Vato Loco is a horn. If not, he’s a clever ag. Every post of his is over the top trolling.  He had one recently complaining about how all the women on campus were too beautiful and free of sin, good for marrying but tough to date in college. Went on and on about it in a very satirical way. The satire was not recognized because 90% of that board is ~80 IQ. 

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

As always, Looch and aggy brag about their conference but can never accomplish anything themselves.

aggy lost at home last night to Abilene Christian. 😂

And Billy wants to brag about winning in football even though they're too scared to play.

• Hook 'Em 1