Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

University of Houston has a lower acceptance rate. i know this bc my niece just got accepted to UH. 

she did not apply to aggy. i took her on a tour last year. she thought the campus was ugly, the 'special family' spiel was weird and cult-like, and she was confused/amused by the corps.

bless her heart.

• Like 1

• Replies 71.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

4 hours ago, Leanderman said:

One of my friends on Facebook was talking about how their grandchild was recently accept into a and m. One of their friends posted in response, "How much harder it was to get into that great university these days". I almost spit out a mouthful of Jameson on my computer screen.

Maybe he was talking about TAMU-Commerce?

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

University of Houston has a lower acceptance rate. i know this bc my niece just got accepted to UH. 

she did not apply to aggy. i took her on a tour last year. she thought the campus was ugly, the 'special family' spiel was weird and cult-like, and she was confused/amused by the corps.

bless her heart.

holy fuck

the acceptance rate is 67%?! Texas is at 39% according to USNews rate rankings - top of their list is Rice at 11%, SWAGU at 29% and A&M Commerce at 34%

for God's sake, SFA is at 65%, Baylor at 52%, SMU at 51%, TCU is 41%

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

holy fuck

the acceptance rate is 67%?! Texas is at 39% according to USNews rate rankings - top of their list is Rice at 11%, SWAGU at 29% and A&M Commerce at 34%

for God's sake, SFA is at 65%, Baylor at 52%, SMU at 51%, TCU is 41%

It's a fucking trade school. Trade schools pretty much admit anyone capable of handling the classwork, which at A&M is rote learning of trade school related shit.

Also, look at the funding per student. A&M is funded at lass than half the rate as UT Austin. Both schools charge about the same rate for tuition ($10,300/yr). In total funding, UT Austin receives over $54,000/student. A&M receives $31,000/student. If it was possible to deliver the same quality of education at the rate A&M is funded, UT Austin and A&M would be funded at the same rate. The reality is that it is impossible to deliver the quality of education offered at UT Austin at the rate A&M is funded, which is why UT Austin's operating budget is roughly $3.2B/yr and A&M's is only $1.8B/yr.

The two institutions are fundamentally different and produce a fundamentally different caliber of graduate.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leanderman said:

One of my friends on Facebook was talking about how their grandchild was recently accept into a and m. One of their friends posted in response, "How much harder it was to get into that great university these days". I almost spit out a mouthful of Jameson on my computer screen.

Several years ago a woman told me that her son was accepted by MIT and Stanford, but not A&M, because it is so hard to get into.  She did not appreciate my laughter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Kind of off topic but, the University of Tennessee has an acceptance rate of 77%.  That's insane.  My wife (Vol alum) was not happy when I told her that her school was easier to get into than my daughter's school - MTSU - despite the fact that MTSU actually has more students.

people never seem to understand that acceptance rate has absolutely ZERO to do with how difficult a school is to get into

acceptance rate only tells you the % of unqualified applicants to a school vs the % of qualified applicants

but it says absolutely nothing about the difficulty of getting into a school or the quality of who was admitted or not admitted

to make this simple without giving examples we can look at the US News "rankings" and The State of Texas specifically

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/tx?_sort=acceptanceRate&_sortDirection=asc

one can see from there that acceptance rate is meaningless it just means some schools are much better at recruiting unqualified applicants to apply

On 12/19/2019 at 9:25 PM, lemonandaturd said:

John Sharp is an idiot.  He spoke at a convention full of administrative lawyers back in the 90's and decried the Government Code prohibition on ex-parte communications for an agency decision maker in a contested case.  He railed that as a state agency head, he should be able to get a complainant in a back room and find out the "true facts" without having to deal with agency lawyers or the provisions of that that pesky Administrative Procedure Act.  

Wow. A non-attorney lecturing an auditorium full of lawyers about ex-parte communications. I'm sure that went over incredibly well. I'd be disappointed if they didn't laugh him off of the stage.

• Like 1

I was taking with my dad this evening. He said there was an aggy industrial engineer at his job that didn’t know how to use a calculator for fucks sake. Guy was tallying some material and using excel. Dad asked him why he didn’t use the calculator. aggy said he didn’t know what the buttons were for.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

I was taking with my dad this evening. He said there was an aggy industrial engineer at his job that didn’t know how to use a calculator for fucks sake. Guy was tallying some material and using excel. Dad asked him why he didn’t use the calculator. aggy said he didn’t know what the buttons were for.

Well, in middle school, the only thing I used a calculator for was to type “55378008” and then hold it upside down and snicker. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Excel is a calculator.  

It drives me fucking nuts when my students pull out a calculator when they're sitting in front of a computer that has Excel open.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

people never seem to understand that acceptance rate has absolutely ZERO to do with how difficult a school is to get into

acceptance rate only tells you the % of unqualified applicants to a school vs the % of qualified applicants

but it says absolutely nothing about the difficulty of getting into a school or the quality of who was admitted or not admitted

to make this simple without giving examples we can look at the US News "rankings" and The State of Texas specifically

one can see from there that acceptance rate is meaningless it just means some schools are much better at recruiting unqualified applicants to apply

see Stanford

7 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Disagree.  While yes “gaming” your acceptance rate by driving up unqualified applicants happens, there is no way you can game them significantly save for a few points.  The acceptance rate, when compared to similarly ranked schools can be very informative, but yes thinking Rice and Jarvis are comparable by only looking at acceptance rates is dumb.

Excel is a calculator.  
It drives me fucking nuts when my students pull out a calculator when they're sitting in front of a computer that has Excel open.  
It depends on what you're trying to do

It's easier to type into a calculator:

625 (square root button)

Than it is to type into Excel:

=625^0.5[Enter]

On 12/23/2019 at 9:09 AM, Leanderman said:

An appropriate response would have been:   Very true. Thankfully aggy is there to help the other kids, huh?

It's a fucking trade school. Trade schools pretty much admit anyone capable of handling the classwork, which at A&M is rote learning of trade school related shit.
Also, look at the funding per student. A&M is funded at lass than half the rate as UT Austin. Both schools charge about the same rate for tuition ($10,300/yr). In total funding, UT Austin receives over $54,000/student. A&M receives $31,000/student. If it was possible to deliver the same quality of education at the rate A&M is funded, UT Austin and A&M would be funded at the same rate. The reality is that it is impossible to deliver the quality of education offered at UT Austin at the rate A&M is funded, which is why UT Austin's operating budget is roughly $3.2B/yr and A&M's is only $1.8B/yr.
The two institutions are fundamentally different and produce a fundamentally different caliber of graduate.
hqdefault.jpg
I guess 33% of their applicants lost their arms? 
it is HARD to learn to stick your arm up a cow's ass
Several years ago a woman told me that her son was accepted by MIT and Stanford, but not A&M, because it is so hard to get into.  She did not appreciate my laughter.
he prolly refused to take the aggy stick your arm up the cow's ass advanced placement test.

1791be11805603a2103bea343749876f.jpg

885ab89fbce79506bf45f18d649dadc1.jpg
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 5:49 PM, ButtFumble said:

On 12/24/2019 at 12:59 AM, TKthunder2 said:

Disagree.  While yes “gaming” your acceptance rate by driving up unqualified applicants happens, there is no way you can game them significantly save for a few points.  The acceptance rate, when compared to similarly ranked schools can be very informative, but yes thinking Rice and Jarvis are comparable by only looking at acceptance rates is dumb.

Actually you’re both right.  You can use it as a ballpark when comparing very similar schools.  But there are definitely schools who game the shit out the system to prop up that number because so many people take it at face value as some kind of be all end all measuring stick.  Maybe at one time it was a true measure, and it’s just kind of stuck so people still use it as gospel?  I don’t know, but it amazes me how many people still think it’s some sort of precision accurate apples to apples data point.  It is not.

Tulane is a great example.  It’s almost criminal the lengths they’ve gone to in order to inflate their acceptance rate (or deflate technically I guess).  Kid is a senior in high school and we’ve been going through the application process.  Tulane has no application fee and they recruit harder than any other school by far.  Almost more than all the other schools combined.  Mailers, emails, texts, phone calls, etc not just to our kid, but to us as parents.  We’re talking desperation levels.  Especially compared to other schools.  And tons of “easy application process” and “zero application fee” and shit like that kinda language in all of it.  And they’ve got the acceptance rate to show for it so I’m sure a lot of people probably buy into them being some uber-selective school.  They are not.

And back on topic, trust me, UT is the opposite of Tulane so their number is probably really accurate.  Their recruiting efforts have been much more along the lines of “you wanna come here, great...if you don’t want to come here, look out that window...there’s a line a mile long of kids who do.”  Seems like aggy was more in line with other schools, although our kid never had any demonstrated interest in them at all (not allowed to apply there in our house) so I can see where they may not have wasted many resources on it.  But they damn sure worked it harder than UT did by a long shot.

So, in closing my way too long post on the topic, if anything, aggy’s acceptance rate is likely even higher than it really is compared to UT as they definitely market much harder just to get applicants than UT does.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Actually you’re both right.  You can use it as a ballpark when comparing very similar schools.  But there are definitely schools who game the shit out the system to prop up that number because so many people take it at face value as some kind of be all end all measuring stick.  Maybe at one time it was a true measure, and it’s just kind of stuck so people still use it as gospel?  I don’t know, but it amazes me how many people still think it’s some sort of precision accurate apples to apples data point.  It is not.

Tulane is a great example.  It’s almost criminal the lengths they’ve gone to in order to inflate their acceptance rate (or deflate technically I guess).  Kid is a senior in high school and we’ve been going through the application process.  Tulane has no application fee and they recruit harder than any other school by far.  Almost more than all the other schools combined.  Mailers, emails, texts, phone calls, etc not just to our kid, but to us as parents.  We’re talking desperation levels.  Especially compared to other schools.  And tons of “easy application process” and “zero application fee” and shit like that kinda language in all of it.  And they’ve got the acceptance rate to show for it so I’m sure a lot of people probably buy into them being some uber-selective school.  They are not.

And back on topic, trust me, UT is the opposite of Tulane so their number is probably really accurate.  Their recruiting efforts have been much more along the lines of “you wanna come here, great...if you don’t want to come here, look out that window...there’s a line a mile long of kids who do.”  Seems like aggy was more in line with other schools, although our kid never had any demonstrated interest in them at all (not allowed to apply there in our house) so I can see where they may not have wasted many resources on it.  But they damn sure worked it harder than UT did by a long shot.

So, in closing my way too long post on the topic, if anything, aggy’s acceptance rate is likely even higher than it really is compared to UT as they definitely market much harder just to get applicants than UT does.

This was one of David Boren’s lame tactics to try and pretend he could hang with the Big 10 type schools. Didn’t really work since they still have a 70+ acceptance rate. His lamer tactic was publishing a higher “admittance standard” (i.e. sat and gpa) than OSU, but everyone knew in high school there was no difference. You had to have a seriously shitty sat and gpa to get rejected.

9 hours ago, nnm said:

Cross-posted from the LOL image thread:

A gift in the white elephant gift game at our home last night. Yes, there was one aggy in attendance. But he did not give or receive the gift. 
642-BBA3-F-8281-4-E25-841-F-24635-B7-BBC

69-C2-D308-16-D1-46-AE-9-E6-F-10831-BB1-

If you didn't look at that aggy with a

giphy.gif

Then you should feel ashamed. 

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Maybe the hometown of aggy (College Station), never really counted as part of Texas.?!

We can only hope but they're starting to refer to themselves as "Texas Aggies." Just think of them as the regarded white trash cousin that's a smidge of intellect under one Joe Dirt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1