Share Your Trauma Here

ctrl+alt+del

Dark subject, yes. Just thought I would start a thread to see if anyone wants to share any personal trauma they've experienced that they want to share. It can be hard to shake, but sharing it may be somewhat cathartic.

For me, mine is going to seem pretty lame compared to most, but my mom was a hard person to be around when I was a kid. She would blow things way out of proportion. Any time we would be in public and she perceived herself being slighted in any way she would cause a scene. She would scream and berate the employee she thought was causing her angst and then transfer that to his or her manager. I just wanted to hide and die. She couldn't care less about how it made people around her feel, but whatever - she got her pound of flesh. She would get mad at my little brother and me for running off and "not having her back" - we were 12 and 10.

She was also the worst aim with the belt. I came home with a bad progress report in 6th grade. I think I had earned a D in every subject on that progress report and when she read it, she laid me across my bed, took a belt and destroyed my legs and back. My grades did improve, though, so I guess I have her to thank. Confronting her about it as an adult, she says it's the only way she knew how to deal with it.

• Like 2

Uhh, if you want to dig into this over at the mental health thread we're willing to hear you out. 

In the spirit of the surly though. I was traumatized as a young Longhorn by Joe Montana in the Cotton Bowl. I've hated that fucker ever since. It's tough, because now he seems like he's ok and all, but I still manage to work up a good hate for all things ND.

Edited by cactusflinthead

Dark subject, yes. Just thought I would start a thread to see if anyone wants to share any personal trauma they've experienced that they want to share. It can be hard to shake, but sharing it may be somewhat cathartic.
For me, mine is going to seem pretty lame compared to most, but my mom was a hard person to be around when I was a kid. She would blow things way out of proportion. Any time we would be in public and she perceived herself being slighted in any way she would cause a scene. She would scream and berate the employee she thought was causing her angst and then transfer that to his or her manager. I just wanted to hide and die. She couldn't care less about how it made people around her feel, but whatever - she got her pound of flesh. She would get mad at my little brother and me for running off and "not having her back" - we were 12 and 10.
She was also the worst aim with the belt. I came home with a bad progress report in 6th grade. I think I had earned a D in every subject on that progress report and when she read it, she laid me across my bed, took a belt and destroyed my legs and back. My grades did improve, though, so I guess I have her to thank. Confronting her about it as an adult, she says it's the only way she knew how to deal with it.
Not nearly to that extent but I can relate to a parent having no qualms to escalating an inconvenience into a public scene. When I was a tot me and my sister were in the back seat of our car during a Sunday drive. Looking back on it now, I have a good idea what happened.

Waiting at red light, light turns green. The story goes car in front didn't move. My gut is my dad had a trigger palm on the horn. Both doors fly open. Panic. Lock doors. In a snap, both guys are jerking at our car doors, rocking our car back and forth. Me and sis are crying. Dad takes off. These guys chase. Instant insanity. Mom freaking and remembers seeing a constable earlier so hauling ass with strangers in hot pursuit and through sheer dumb luck find him and pull over and babble the 411 just as weirdos hit the brakes and roll by all nonchalant. Constable takes off, followed by the Family Truckster, pulls them over, and 98 pound Constable has to divert his attention restraining my dad (with assist from Mom), from going Alabama fan on Oklahoma fan. End story, both guys had been released from Huntsville that week. I have no memory of it.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Not nearly to that extent but I can relate to a parent having no qualms to escalating an inconvenience into a public scene. When I was a tot me and my sister were in the back seat of our car during a Sunday drive. Looking back on it now, I have a good idea what happened.

Waiting at red light, light turns green. The story goes car in front didn't move. My gut is my dad had a trigger palm on the horn. Both doors fly open. Panic. Lock doors. In a snap, both guys are jerking at our car doors, rocking our car back and forth. Me and sis are crying. Dad takes off. These guys chase. Instant insanity. Mom freaking and remembers seeing a constable earlier so hauling ass with strangers in hot pursuit and through sheer dumb luck find him and pull over and babble the 411 just as weirdos hit the brakes and roll by all nonchalant. Constable takes off, followed by the Family Truckster, pulls them over, and 98 pound Constable has to divert his attention restraining my dad (with assist from Mom), from going Alabama fan on Oklahoma fan. End story, both guys had been released from Huntsville that week. I have no memory of it.

I tried to understand it, but I couldn't. Sorry. Sounds rough.

Edited by ctrl+alt+del

20 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

You. I owe you rep. 

I nuclear diarrhea'd a restroom outside of York Pa. when I was seven. My dad probably had the real trauma though, he was begging me to hold it in for at least 10 miles and I couldn't, I got to the restroom, I mean it was everywhere over the wall, sink, mirrors Etc.  Mostly e'erwhere but the toilet.

My dad couldn't believe it, he feebly help me try to wipe up and after about 5 minutes said fuck it let's get out of here.

Turkish prisons are nicer than the condition we left that place.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was REALLY into this chick, Mary.  She was my former HS classmate and was beautiful, of course, but that wasn't it.  Dunno, there was just SOMETHING about her.  Anyway, I somehow got her to go to the prom with me.  Was all psyched up, with my new tuxedo, but it went to shit at the end.  I won't discuss the details.

Now I masturbate in hotel bathrooms.

Early spring 1984.   Garwood, Tx.  I was 17 and had just gotten done with my after school job of cleaning potable water tanks for oil rigs which involved climbing around inside with some simple green and a bunch of rags, and was relaxing on the propane tank of my parents yard with a cigarette.  I’m about 200 yards or so from the high bank of the Colorado river.  Some kids came running down the street yelling “help!”   At first I thought they were fucking around. Then my friend Jesse Rodriguez came running from the other end of the street and we got them to calm down enough to where the told us.  We ran down to the corner and plunged down the steep riverbank. Florencio Ramos, Jr. had gone into the water with a net and rubber boots, and slipped on the clay bank.  Didn’t come back up.  Jesse and I jumped in and started looking.  Water was about eight feet in that eddy and the current swept away from the bank as there was a shoal just downstream.  We couldn’t find shit.  After about 30 minutes Flo’s family was there on the riverbank wailing and a couple other people had jumped in the water to search.  At that point, being a good swimmer, I knew it was pointless. After about 45 minutes Jesse found him.  I remember the look on his face when he broke the surface of the water and he looked exhausted and defeated and just plain mad, but he had an arm in his grip.  He gave that arm to me and we pulled the body up onto the small ledge of the riverbank. I sat there with Florencio’s head on my thigh and this nasty foam came out of his mouth, and I had to swat flies away from his face.  His family was wailing even louder behind me.  It was mind wrenching.   Discussion about having to get a boat and take his body across the river so they could put it in a vehicle.  I had ridden on the school bus that morning with this boy.  

I went back the block or so to my house, and my dad was walking into the garage with a shovel.  I looked at him and he shook his head and walked inside.  He had just finished burying my 14 year old dog.  Pepper.  All in the same fucked up afternoon.  

Yeah that day I was traumatized a bit.   Still remember every moment of it.  Down to the FFA jacket Florencio was wearing.   He just wanted to catch some bait and go fishing.  

• Like 4

Second worse, or maybe tied for first but...   going into my oldest mentally ill sisters house after she committed suicide by eating a bottle of pills. It was like she never cleaned the place.  Not only didn’t clean it but never in 4 years never took out trash or anything. It was quite possibly the most squalid shit I’ve seen outside the internet. She’s in there dead on the mattress, says the constable.  Yeah I get it.   It took 3 days to clean that shit up.  She had two cats.  The first one came out willingly.  The other, was traumatized.   I finally found it on top of a bookshelf and when I tried to get her down she yowled enough to bring me to tears.  

• Like 3

I have lived a really good life to  never have had to deal with the bad parts of life as directly as some of you. Most of mine have to do with kids I have taught over the years that come from really rough situations. I used to do home visits for kids in a few trailer parks that were especially bad. One had an old refrigerator pushed up into the opening to serve as a door. Another was missing a short side and just had a tarp over it. Completely rat infested. The kids were amazingly normal, all things considered. Resilience in kids is an amazing thing. 

• Like 1

After all the truly crazy and insane shit I've seen, been through, and been a part of, the most traumatic shit in my life happened from a head injury in a car wreck a couple years ago.

I developed post-concussion syndrome very severely, and was ungodly insane, and utterly useless for the better part of a year. It completely devastated my family and I financially, all while I could barely remember why I walked into a room most of the time.

It's fucking insane, but none of the other shit stuck with me like that did

• Like 1

I got that phone call all parents dread, and hope never comes. You think you can imagine what that feels like, but, I promise, you can't.

Four months later, I had a heart attack. The grief almost killed me. It affects me every day. You have no idea how much you can cry as a grown man.

I've always had a positive outlook on life. I can find a positive or humor in just about anything. Most of my posts here are usually short jokes, that probably are only funny to me. I cannot imagine how someone with depression would handle a loss like that.

• Like 5

The details of my life are quite inconsequential.  Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2018 at 5:59 AM, phdhorn said:

I nuclear diarrhea'd a restroom outside of York Pa. when I was seven. My dad probably had the real trauma though, he was begging me to hold it in for at least 10 miles and I couldn't, I got to the restroom, I mean it was everywhere over the wall, sink, mirrors Etc.  Mostly e'erwhere but the toilet.

My dad couldn't believe it, he feebly help me try to wipe up and after about 5 minutes said fuck it let's get out of here.

Turkish prisons are nicer than the condition we left that place.

Having eaten at most of the restaurants in York, PA, I understand. 

After all the truly crazy and insane shit I've seen, been through, and been a part of, the most traumatic shit in my life happened from a head injury in a car wreck a couple years ago.
I developed post-concussion syndrome very severely, and was ungodly insane, and utterly useless for the better part of a year. It completely devastated my family and I financially, all while I could barely remember why I walked into a room most of the time.

PCS is the worst. Dealt with it a couple years ago and it was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced in my life.

21 hours ago, SKJ said:

Seems like you can't remember how to post pics of your wife either.  

5 hours ago, Quasimofo said:

I got that phone call all parents dread, and hope never comes. You think you can imagine what that feels like, but, I promise, you can't.

Four months later, I had a heart attack. The grief almost killed me. It affects me every day. You have no idea how much you can cry as a grown man.

I've always had a positive outlook on life. I can find a positive or humor in just about anything. Most of my posts here are usually short jokes, that probably are only funny to me. I cannot imagine how someone with depression would handle a loss like that.

I can’t imagine how anyone pulls through. I’m sorry for your loss. 

Yeah Quasi, I remember that from Shaggy. I can’t imagine going through it and living it everyday. Props to you for keeping going. It’s all you can do, but I know that must be a whole lot harder than anyone could realize.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, SKJ said:

I can relate. I suffered an acute subdural hematoma, then part of my frontal lobe died as a result of that initial trauma two years later. I have seizures when I sleep and have short term memory issues. It's tough and I hope you are doing better. It sucks.

I am doing a lot better. I think my memory has suffered a bit, and I'm hoping I don't have CTE, but we'll see, I guess. The scariest part about my shit was the loss of executive function. Just the thought that all of my sanity could go away like that...

Sorry to hear about that shit, that sounds scary as fuck.

Of all the shit I've seen and done the one thing that sticks with me is from a hunting trip when I was 12. We were about 3 days in and I'd killed 3 doe, all head shots. Not a pleasant thing to see but they didn't suffer. Then I was a bit too confident and took a shot from way too far out ,but the deer dropped and I was feeling like a total badass.

By the time I walked to the deer my dad and his buddy were already there after hearing the shot. The thing was down but still alive and looking around scared out of it's mind. Didn't see a wound so i rolled it over and there was the entry wound in it's spine at the base of the neck. I had paralyzed it. 

My dad handed me his giant buck knife after showing me where to cut in order to finish the job. Blood sprayed all over my face as soon as I punctured the jugular, then i dropped the knife, put my rifle down and walked back to the bunk house. Never hurt an animal again after that day.

Edited by MissingInAction

1 hour ago, SKJ said:

I am doing a lot better. I think my memory has suffered a bit, and I'm hoping I don't have CTE, but we'll see, I guess. The scariest part about my shit was the loss of executive function. Just the thought that all of my sanity could go away like that...

Sorry to hear about that shit, that sounds scary as fuck.

Well, to be honest, I have no memory of either of my TBI's. Just the aftermath. I did have loss of executive function, and you're right, that's the worst part. Mine happened 7 years ago, and I have gotten a lot better. I have to take meds twice a day. My neurologist tells me that when you have a frontal lobe injury or when cells die, that after time, your brain redirects and corrects functions as time goes on. Initially I had to wear a leg brace because my foot wouldn't function properly, I had shitty balance, and I could not feel some skin on the left side of my body. 

Then out of the blue, my foot could function and I regained some sensation on my left side.

The brain is complicated as hell and every case is different. You have had a traumatic injury and your symptoms are a lot more complicated than mine.

But don't lose hope man. The brain and body have a biological way of correcting and surviving. Trust your doctors and stay positive. That's the hardest part. I will send good thoughts your way. 

18 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

One time in Emirates First Class they did not have the lobster so I had to settle for some grilled prawns.  That kind of shit never happens on Singapore Airlines.

Totally traumatic.

Thoughts and prayers

3 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Well, to be honest, I have no memory of either of my TBI's. Just the aftermath. I did have loss of executive function, and you're right, that's the worst part. Mine happened 7 years ago, and I have gotten a lot better. I have to take meds twice a day. My neurologist tells me that when you have a frontal lobe injury or when cells die, that after time, your brain redirects and corrects functions as time goes on. Initially I had to wear a leg brace because my foot wouldn't function properly, I had shitty balance, and I could not feel some skin on the left side of my body. 

Then out of the blue, my foot could function and I regained some sensation on my left side.

The brain is complicated as hell and every case is different. You have had a traumatic injury and your symptoms are a lot more complicated than mine.

But don't lose hope man. The brain and body have a biological way of correcting and surviving. Trust your doctors and stay positive. That's the hardest part. I will send good thoughts your way. 

Just chiming in to say that it can get better. Wife was in a car crash in 1988 and the first 5-10 years were pretty rough but her condition has improved to the point that if you didn't know her before the  wreck you might not know she had TBI. Her personality is WAY different than it was before and some of her senses have been jacked with. She can hear a mouse fart from 50 feet but she can't smell a damned thing. Hang in there SKJ.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
Damn memory is bad
  • Like 1

I was 13 and had 2 nephews (ages almost 2 and 3.) One night, as I'm in the living room watching TV, my mother comes out and says we have to go to the hospital. I asked what was going on but she was too hysterical to respond. We get in the car and start driving and I notice we're headed in the direction of where my nephews lived. I asked again what happened and my mother mumbled in between breaths "Dillon is dead." We get to the hospital and my sister and oldest nephew are outside. My sister is crying and tells my mom that "he killed him, mom." I guess in disbelief my mother ran into the ER demanding to see my nephew while I followed. We got to the room and my mom dropped to her knees. There, I saw my 23 month-old nephew laid out lifeless on the bed, blue in the face and fluids coming out of his nose. I went back outside and took my other nephew back to the car to get away from all the commotion. When I asked him what happened he said, "Dillon was crying and Mr. Charlie [a long story but a temporary caregiver] put a pillow on his head." 

That wasn't what fucked me up though. A year later, the man who murdered my nephew, was found not guilty by 12 of the stupidest people on earth. The defense had claimed my other nephew was responsible for it and tried to make him out to be a serial killer at age 3. My family was really shocked as even the DA was calling it a slam dunk case. The jury later said in a 48 hour episode that they didn't think my other nephew did it but they had a hard time believing the asshole had done it either. This is with bruising along the back of his neck that the medical examiner had said was caused by an adult sized hand, my nephew's testimony, the fact that no one else was in the house and the cause of death being ruled homicide by asphyxiation.

Ever since, my view of "justice" has been skewed and  hope in people has diminished. 

Of all the shit I've seen and done the one thing that sticks with me is from a hunting trip when I was 12. We were about 3 days in and I'd killed 3 doe, all head shots. Not a pleasant thing to see but they didn't suffer. Then I was a bit too confident and took a shot from way too far out ,but the deer dropped and I was feeling like a total badass.
By the time I walked to the deer my dad and his buddy were already there after hearing the shot. The thing was down but still alive and looking around scared out of it's mind. Didn't see a wound so i rolled it over and there was the entry wound in it's spine at the base of the neck. I had paralyzed it. 
My dad handed me his giant buck knife after showing me where to cut in order to finish the job. Blood sprayed all over my face as soon as I punctured the jugular, then i dropped the knife, put my rifle down and walked back to the bunk house. Never hurt an animal again after that day.
Jesus H. Christ! You're not a writer! You're a killer!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. In contrast, my father passed away on April 24, while I was on the road. I saw him the week before, and I talked to him on the phone from Alaska a few hours before. I got to tell him I loved him, and hear him say he loved me. I began a race against death to get home once I was told his body was shutting down. He passed away while I was on the third of my four flights.

He was 80. He was a great dad, and lived a good life.

I was on a redeye from SEA to DFW on Alaska Airlines when I got the message. Other than that obvious trauma, was the dickhead in the middle seat elbowing me the entire flight, and having to spend a night in the Prudhoe Bay Motel. Look that jewel up on Google. View from my window below. Had to spend the night there because I couldn't get on flight out that afternoon on emergency status.acee0bf23bd96f4258df36480c1c86df.jpg

8 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I was 13 and had 2 nephews (ages almost 2 and 3.) One night, as I'm in the living room watching TV, my mother comes out and says we have to go to the hospital. I asked what was going on but she was too hysterical to respond. We get in the car and start driving and I notice we're headed in the direction of where my nephews lived. I asked again what happened and my mother mumbled in between breaths "Dillon is dead." We get to the hospital and my sister and oldest nephew are outside. My sister is crying and tells my mom that "he killed him, mom." I guess in disbelief my mother ran into the ER demanding to see my nephew while I followed. We got to the room and my mom dropped to her knees. There, I saw my 23 month-old nephew laid out lifeless on the bed, blue in the face and fluids coming out of his nose. I went back outside and took my other nephew back to the car to get away from all the commotion. When I asked him what happened he said, "Dillon was crying and Mr. Charlie [a long story but a temporary caregiver] put a pillow on his head." 

That wasn't what fucked me up though. A year later, the man who murdered my nephew, was found not guilty by 12 of the stupidest people on earth. The defense had claimed my other nephew was responsible for it and tried to make him out to be a serial killer at age 3. My family was really shocked as even the DA was calling it a slam dunk case. The jury later said in a 48 hour episode that they didn't think my other nephew did it but they had a hard time believing the asshole had done it either. This is with bruising along the back of his neck that the medical examiner had said was caused by an adult sized hand, my nephew's testimony, the fact that no one else was in the house and the cause of death being ruled homicide by asphyxiation.

Ever since, my view of "justice" has been skewed and  hope in people has diminished. 

What. The. Fuck. I would’ve killed Mr. Charlie. Goddamnit that is the second worst story I’ve ever heard.