2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they've already met.  I can't imagine that the role isn't already decided but don't have any certainty on that.

I did hear he was in over a week ago but strange it hasn't been announced.  I can only assume there may be some contractual/money issue for Patterson if he takes a new job before a certain date.  we'll see.

Only odd thing is that Howe said on his podcast that Gary only wants to be an on-field coach. Not sure if he's changed his reporting on that. Most others think Patterson would fill the Kill role.

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So let me get this straight… we are going to bring in Patterson to in essence help coach the coaching staff ie one of the primary benefactors of this will be Gideon? 

You talk about being groomed long term for a major program spot. Coaching under Sark PK and now GP…

Gideon has a ton of potential and I'd love for us to groom a coach like that to step up in the future. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Only odd thing is that Howe said on his podcast that Gary only wants to be an on-field coach. Not sure if he's changed his reporting on that. Most others think Patterson would fill the Kill role.

Timing it for Thursday obviously creates a ton of smoke around that but I guess we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

my source said the rumor was that it wouldn't just be a traditional analyst role but it wasn't definitive enough for me.  with Howe's info and GP's history with the Kill role it makes sense. Saban broke the mold with the shit ton of analysts and people are pushing the boundaries.  I'm all for it.

It is funny that Kill was wearing a headset on the sideline but wasn't coaching players or coaches.  yeah right..sure.

It is sad we are in such bad shape on D that we need a coach to coach our highly paid coaches but at least CDC is pushing to address it and that Sark realizes he needs it as backup in case PK is complete bust.  too much at stake to delay fixing problems if we want to be ready for the SEC.

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Timing it for Thursday obviously creates a ton of smoke around that but I guess we'll see.

Yeah, hard to know either way, but it seems like there are always weird timing issues with coaches that have been bought out. I can also understand why Sark doesn't want to waste time making changes with the amount of prospects that are hanging in the balance right now.

4 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I didn't know that. That's funny.

to be fair, I'm going with what Howe reported.  (Kill wore a headset for games, for what it’s worth, but he reportedly wasn’t in direct communication with the offensive staff throughout the game). 

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gideon has a ton of potential and I'd love for us to groom a coach like that to step up in the future. 

His dad interim coached our soccer team at Leander once and his best coaching tip was calling us a bunch of retarded fire ants…so the coaching genetics are there for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Was he able to do that on away games or just home games?

good question.  don't know but if he's just wearing a headset I'm sure he was just like those people at the Tennis US Open listening to the radio broadcast, sipping on a smoothie, all while "NOT in communication with players or coaches, nope not once never..."

8 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Guess I'm thinking like him when it comes to this potential hire. Give GP the defense, if he wants to run it and fuck the feelings.

Maybe GP just wants a 6 figure salary to be a non-coaching analyst with no recruiting while he plays music and waits for opening next year.  

Just now, Rhinotx said:

Maybe GP just wants a 6 figure salary to be a non-coaching analyst with no recruiting while he plays music and waits for opening next year.  

Not positive but I think GP is still getting paid by TCU.  I don't think he took a buyout.  That more than likely means that whatever Texas pays him is deducted from his TCU salary.  

4 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Not positive but I think GP is still getting paid by TCU.  I don't think he took a buyout.  That more than likely means that whatever Texas pays him is deducted from his TCU salary.  

Honestly, they should pay GP $1.00 and make sure TCU fucking knows that they are picking up the tab for him not only coaching against them, but also coaching the team that cost them tens of millions of dollars by going to the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 2

What we do not know about Gary is if he is a micro-manger or is he a manager that can teach, guide and delegate. If he is a micro-manager he has to be DC in my view and no other role would work. If he is a manager that knows how to get folks to do things via guidance and delegation then I would love him to have the following responsibilities:

a) In charge of defensive game planning (Worked for TCU vs Baylor this year. Hey guys I have some ideas.)

b) In charge of scheme used by Texas regardless of DC (i.e. Like Saban says this is what we do here now use it and augment it only with my approval)

c) Responsible for teaching coaches Texas' scheme

d) Responsible for end of year defensive staff evaluations and assistant coaching change recommendations.

Practice structure, play calling, game day adjustments and player development all are the responsibility of the DC. Gary needs to stay home on game day and if he does a good job then his baby should be able to drive the car.

My pie in the sky $0.02

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Honestly, they should pay GP $1.00 and make sure TCU fucking knows that they are picking up the tab for him not only coaching against them, but also coaching the team that cost them tens of millions of dollars by going to the SEC.

As nice as that would be, there's usually a clause in the contract that requires the coach to seek employment with reasonable (market average or some shit) compensation.  

I appreciate Vance for who he has been to Texas, but if the thought is that adding Gary Patterson to our defensive staff could possibly result in a worse result than what we fielded last season, it's fucking laughable.

Sure, you need to set it up well so that everyone knows their role, but if you have significant struggles on one side of the ball and a legit top 10 coach waiting in the wings, you don't say no to avoid a crowded room.

If nothing else, Sark has to make this move in case PK starts next season like he ended this one. I know one season is quick to cut a coordinator, but the results were bad enough to suggest you need a safety valve. If he waits two full seasons to replace a failing coordinator hire, he'll be out after three years and we'll be hiring DC number 12 in the last 3 seasons, or something like that.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Jinks name has gotten tossed out seemingly every time there is a RB/WR coach spot available.  I know he's a former THSFC - so the 9.95'ers are going to be all over him - but do we have any idea what kind of recruiter he is?  Can we expect him to recruit other positions?

No and no but hes a great FB coach and talent developer