2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Right but why else would it occur post-playoffs. No reason for other teams to wait.

Playoff Team X knows they're losing their DL coach for some reason after the season.

Their planned replacement is from non-playoff Team Y.

Team Y then hires Bo Davis and gives him DC tag.

I dunno, not that far-fetched.

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

I would not let Bo Davis call the defense to keep him if that's what this hypothetical offer is. HIs recruiting is lights out, and we'd have to find a stud to replace him.

we can make him co-DC and pay him more.  If he wants to call plays then I guess Sark better start looking fast.

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

For sure on titles and money. I wasn't thinking you'd include calling plays in "by any means necessary."

I said at all costs and I was literally meaning money.  fucking pay him more than PK at this point.  that guy hasn't done dick to earn his pay and we are talking to Gary Patterson because of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I would not let Bo Davis call the defense to keep him if that's what this hypothetical offer is. HIs recruiting is lights out, and we'd have to find a stud to replace him.

Has he failed at calling a defense or just no experience?

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And Banks. 

Fair point. Think it falls flood bo banks in that order. Mainly because our OL has been such a shitshow for 10+ years that I hope he can fix it. Our DL seems to have been reasonable thru multiple coaches and if flood doesnt fix the OL then sark fails anyway.

1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I would agree, but he’s gone from volunteer assistant, to asst player personnel guy, to director of recruiting, to Temple RB coach in 5-6 years. Obviously his bosses have been happy with something 

He's going to Temple? Hallelujah, we can seriously upgrade recruiting on the staff.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

For all the talk of Carrington being overrated, has even 1 single signee mentioned Harris as a positive factor in their recruitment? 

Carrington was used as a crutch by the last staff because they had so many coaches who couldn't hold their weight in recruiting. I honestly don't want 15 kids in my class naming the director of recruiting as a reason they signed here and that's what it turned into with Carrington. I think Carrington is partially to blame for the awful mental evals/bust rate of the last few Herman classes. The director of recruiting should be building relationships with kids and then passing them off to position coaches and the head coach to close the deal.

This staff actually has dudes who can go to toe to toe with other staffs in high profile recruitments. Harris' twitter games he tries to play is weird and he isn't as good with connecting with some recruits as Carrington was. He has some learning to do and Sark would be smart to beef up Harris' department to get him additional help or let him walk to Temple and get a fresh start.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

For all the talk of Carrington being overrated, has even 1 single signee mentioned Harris as a positive factor in their recruitment? 

Well, Arch manning likes him and so did guys like Evan Stewart, Derrick Brown, Finkley, and Malik Murphy. He is just not as good as Carrington and lacks the creativity necessary for his position. I do not think he would be a terrible hire, we could do worse, but we can definitely do better. In reality, our entire support staff apparatus needs to be improved. Other SEC programs have multiple guys like Harris and Carrington. 

Gilbert also wouldn't be so bad because he would be a real force with guys in state, hes not only well connected with coaches but I know for a fact that hes been reaching out to trainers too. He is a really well liked guy by all. And he is very organized in his approach. For an example, at Lancaster High, he had it set up to where guys were on multiple year waitlist to get on staff under him. He would build everything to where it was like a constant chain of internal promotions so he always maintained his culture. Many of his guys are now head coaches. I personally know a lot about Gilbert and im just telling you that would be very well received by THSFB coaches. He has the all relationships established that you could hope for.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Boot PK.  Make GP DC.  Play his aggressive 4-2-5.  Bo turns the DL loose.  Extend Bo, Flood and Banks.  We have an opportunity for concrete progress, but we need those guys.

Pretty sure that ain't happening to PK.  Sark has said several times some of these players are on their 3rd or 4th DC.  Instability in coaching/philosophy has been a big problem at Texas for the roster.

Having GP advise/consult over PK's shoulder is a best-case scenario.  He continues to fuck up, he's gone.  But Sark is not going to force another DC with different philosophy onto these players yet after 1 season.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Probably just echoing Rod Babers since Rod made the case for this guy yesterday on the radio yesterday. Says that guy has taken some kid without much talent and made him an award finalist at WR. He also talked about the guy gaining respect for innovative approach. I would assume Rod was the first to put the name out there and Roach is just compiling of list of names he has heard in different places.

Marion has been a hot name for a couple years.  Very innovative offensive mind and young so the jury was out.  Sounds like Pitt gave him a shot... no idea on his recruiting chops but a lot of folks thought he was a future OC somewhere

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

Marion has been a hot name for a couple years.  Very innovative offensive mind and young so the jury was out.  Sounds like Pitt gave him a shot... no idea on his recruiting chops but a lot of folks thought he was a future OC somewhere

If he is so great why isn’t Pitt promoting him to OC after Mark Whipple left?

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

If he is so great why isn’t Pitt promoting him to OC after Mark Whipple left?

no idea?  I just remember hearing about him a few years ago as "an up and comer".  He was OC at a couple of FCS schools, then WR coach at Hawaii and Pitt the past 2 years.  Maybe he aint all that...my point was, I had actually heard of him and there was buzz around the dude the past few years.  I have no idea if he is any good

35 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

no idea?  I just remember hearing about him a few years ago as "an up and comer".  He was OC at a couple of FCS schools, then WR coach at Hawaii and Pitt the past 2 years.  Maybe he aint all that...my point was, I had actually heard of him and there was buzz around the dude the past few years.  I have no idea if he is any good

Sorry, wasn’t calling you out specifically. Rod Babers has been pushing this guy as well and is enamored with his X’s and O’s chops, which isn’t really what we need in a RB coach anyway. Even assuming he is a great offensive mind, it begs the question of why Pitt wouldn’t just promote him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would think Gilbert left Lancaster wanting a less involved, off-field role. Also has he ever coached RBs / can he add value on-field? It's not all about recruiting.

I'm actually not opposed to the Harris promotion if he can actually coach, which I have no clue on. He may not be a plus Director of Recruiting, but he'd likely be a good recruiter relative to other position coaches (like Drayton).

I'm liking this Pitt name although he seems like a better WR coach candidate tbh.

Edited by Tex-19

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Pretty sure that ain't happening to PK.  Sark has said several times some of these players are on their 3rd or 4th DC.  Instability in coaching/philosophy has been a big problem at Texas for the roster.

Having GP advise/consult over PK's shoulder is a best-case scenario.  He continues to fuck up, he's gone.  But Sark is not going to force another DC with different philosophy onto these players yet after 1 season.  

Yeah, heard that song and dance before with Hand.  Fuck that.  I would rather lose PK than Davis.  We don't need these stud DLs coming here only to provide roadblocks for our - checks notes - inept LB play.  At this point, I have the same amount of fucks to give about the optics of firing him as I do the optics of our NIL deals to the rest of the country.  Zero. Zip.  Zilch.