2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

57 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

More smoke on Cutcliffe

Reveal hidden contents

Chris Hummer, 247 National Writer:

There's a "good possibility" former Duke head coach David Cutcliffe joins Texas' staff in an off-field capacity, a source tells 247Sports. 

The 67-year-old Cutcliffe retired from Duke on Nov. 28 following a 14-year run as the program's head coach. If Cutcliffe does join the Longhorn staff it would likely be in a role as senior offensive analyst.

Best known for his quarterback development, Cutcliffe has produced a quartet of first-round quarterbacks in his career. That list of course includes Peyton and Eli Manning; Cutcliffe was Peyton's offensive coordinator at Tennessee and was Eli's head coach at Ole Miss. 

That connection could give Texas a big bump with Peyton and Eli's nephew, Arch Manning, the No. 1 overall recruit in the 2023 class. Arch visited Texas last June. The Longhorns are in the thick of it for Arch along with Alabama, Georgia and Ole Miss, according to 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong. 

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has been aggressive in adding experience to his staff this offseason. Last month Texas announced long-time TCU head coach Gary Patterson would join the Longhorns as special assistant to the head coach. Combined, Patterson and Cutcliffe would have 43 years of head coaching experience.

Cutcliffe is responsible for the two winningest seasons in Blue Devils history. He's the only Duke head coach since 1960 to have Duke ranked in a postseason AP Poll. 

C769F41A-3EF9-4B64-8617-14A98C895736.thumb.jpeg.0bdc47b43587e76315d1d1fb06e32cbb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

IT Scoop (mostly team news but more Cutcliffe talk)

Spoiler

We’ll have some recruiting notes up later.

1. Team chemistry: Many focus on new arrivals, but the portal is a two-way street and the program appears to have benefited from it already. While there might be a bit of a team-wide leadership vacuum, there aren’t negative examples around the program. There are less bad habits and attitudes.

2. Establishing good habits: New arrivals are a big part of the program reset. The focus for the staff is for them to establish good fundamentals, not just on the field, but also off. The staff found out last year the team didn’t have good enough habits — didn’t have good enough football character. In some ways, they’re starting from scratch to instill that football character. Obviously this ties into No. 1 above.

3. Not done in the portal: While they’re not done with the portal, expect them to be selective. The needs are known, LB, S, maybe WR, maybe OL, but they don’t want to reach and sacrifice developmental time for more talented players. If a player the quality of Ochaun Mathis becomes available, then that’s a no-brainer. Speaking of which, all signs are still favorable for UT and the former TCU defensive end.

4. Spring ball injuries: On Friday IT reported status for Troy Omeire and Jaden Alexis was uncertain. Tight end Brayden Liebrock will be non-contact during the spring but should be good to go for fall camp. He has had an injury marred career but is certainly a talented receiver. Off the top, the only other injury of importance is Luke Brockermeyer who will clearly be out after suffering an injury in the team’s last full practice in November.

Spring ball starts on March 22nd.

5. The secondary: The staff is excited about all the young DB’s, to include players who red-shirted last year. Those players are going to be thrown into the mix early and often as the staff searches for the right combinations and positional fits. While there is excitement, there is a lot of work to be done and they need young guys to step up this spring.

6. Brennan Marion: The reputation the new WR coach has for innovation seems to be holding true behind the scenes and that will influence both the running and passing game. IT believes Keilan Robinson could stand to benefit, along, obviously, with Roschon Johnson. Expect to find them with different roles, though. Marion’s addition to the staff may make it easier for true freshman Jaydon Blue to carve out an early role as a receiving threat.

7. The story du jour: David Cutcliffe has been mentioned as someone who may join the Texas program in some capacity. Cutcliffe has had a solid coaching career, but this is most noteworthy because of his close ties to the Mannings. He served as Tennessee’s offensive coordinator while Peyton Manning was there, and after winning a national championship the year after Peyton departed, he assumed the head coach position at Archie Manning’s alma mater, Ole Miss. While in Oxford, he coached Eli Manning.

IT doesn’t view this as a Gary Patterson situation where it’s only a matter of time before it’s announced. From our vantage, Cutcliffe joining UT is a real possibility but it isn‘t done yet. IT believes Cutcliffe has other options on the table.

• Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

so that would mean, if rumors be true, that we'll have two analysts on staff with better head coaching resumes than our actual head coach

shit like this is how I fool myself into thinking Sark knows what he's doing

Would you rather him have a big ego and only bring in people with worse résumés?🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

FWIW, FCB was literally in the luxury suite brown nosing and watching UT basketball with GP and CDC. If he is reporting coaching staff hires then its probably well sourced. If not, then he is an even bigger doofus than we previously thought.

Hasn't he still been pretty hedged on Cutcliffe? I haven't seen him say anything super confident that it's happening, more just "rumors that there's a chance" type stuff. I may have missed what he said though.

27 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Hasn't he still been pretty hedged on Cutcliffe? I haven't seen him say anything super confident that it's happening, more just "rumors that there's a chance" type stuff. I may have missed what he said though.

Roach:  "More buzz."

Roach:  "A little bit of momentum."

FCB: "Heard possibility/likelihood from different sources."

2 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT Scoop (mostly team news but more Cutcliffe talk)

Hide contents

We’ll have some recruiting notes up later.

1. Team chemistry: Many focus on new arrivals, but the portal is a two-way street and the program appears to have benefited from it already. While there might be a bit of a team-wide leadership vacuum, there aren’t negative examples around the program. There are less bad habits and attitudes.

2. Establishing good habits: New arrivals are a big part of the program reset. The focus for the staff is for them to establish good fundamentals, not just on the field, but also off. The staff found out last year the team didn’t have good enough habits — didn’t have good enough football character. In some ways, they’re starting from scratch to instill that football character. Obviously this ties into No. 1 above.

3. Not done in the portal: While they’re not done with the portal, expect them to be selective. The needs are known, LB, S, maybe WR, maybe OL, but they don’t want to reach and sacrifice developmental time for more talented players. If a player the quality of Ochaun Mathis becomes available, then that’s a no-brainer. Speaking of which, all signs are still favorable for UT and the former TCU defensive end.

4. Spring ball injuries: On Friday IT reported status for Troy Omeire and Jaden Alexis was uncertain. Tight end Brayden Liebrock will be non-contact during the spring but should be good to go for fall camp. He has had an injury marred career but is certainly a talented receiver. Off the top, the only other injury of importance is Luke Brockermeyer who will clearly be out after suffering an injury in the team’s last full practice in November.

Spring ball starts on March 22nd.

5. The secondary: The staff is excited about all the young DB’s, to include players who red-shirted last year. Those players are going to be thrown into the mix early and often as the staff searches for the right combinations and positional fits. While there is excitement, there is a lot of work to be done and they need young guys to step up this spring.

6. Brennan Marion: The reputation the new WR coach has for innovation seems to be holding true behind the scenes and that will influence both the running and passing game. IT believes Keilan Robinson could stand to benefit, along, obviously, with Roschon Johnson. Expect to find them with different roles, though. Marion’s addition to the staff may make it easier for true freshman Jaydon Blue to carve out an early role as a receiving threat.

7. The story du jour: David Cutcliffe has been mentioned as someone who may join the Texas program in some capacity. Cutcliffe has had a solid coaching career, but this is most noteworthy because of his close ties to the Mannings. He served as Tennessee’s offensive coordinator while Peyton Manning was there, and after winning a national championship the year after Peyton departed, he assumed the head coach position at Archie Manning’s alma mater, Ole Miss. While in Oxford, he coached Eli Manning.

IT doesn’t view this as a Gary Patterson situation where it’s only a matter of time before it’s announced. From our vantage, Cutcliffe joining UT is a real possibility but it isn‘t done yet. IT believes Cutcliffe has other options on the table.

Wow I, for one, am SHOCKED a Tom Herman led team had really shitty character.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Could someone get me up to speed on Cutcliffe and how that could possibly put us in a better position to land Arch? I understand he was OC for his two uncles, but could an argument be made that the position has changed quite drastically from the 90s/early 2000s when Eli and Peyton played?

The dude was literally named in Peyton Mannings HOF speech

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Arguing about bringing in extremely knowledgeable people as advisors who have strong ties to a top recruit is weird even for us. Even if Manning didn’t come here, it is still an insanely good get as an additional resource. 

Not arguing about bringing him in at all. His resume speaks for itself and the connection to the family is obvious. My question was regarding whether we are overplaying the impact that his potential hiring has on landing Arch. He clearly made a positive impact on his two uncles, but that was decades ago and college football is not the same game as it was then. More specifically the position is not played the same. 

• Fuck You 6

Position really hasn’t changed. The athleticism of those playing it has changed. And the defensive rules have changed. But the mechanics and understanding of what is needed to read defenses seems to have remained. Honestly, if you are trying to get the next Manning into the NFL, he is likely the guy to get him there. But Ewers is probably the person that benefits the most. 

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Not arguing about bringing him in at all. His resume speaks for itself and the connection to the family is obvious. My question was regarding whether we are overplaying the impact that his potential hiring has on landing Arch. He clearly made a positive impact on his two uncles, but that was decades ago and college football is not the same game as it was then. More specifically the position is not played the same. 

Last I checked, every NFL franchise today outside of a few with generational QBs already would sacrifice their souls for a Manning at QB. Throwing the ball and reading defenses will never go out of style. How has the game changed exactly? Have we gone back to the wingT, The veer? The Wishbone? Did Tom Osborne suddenly resurrect the corpse of Tommy Frazier's knee? If anything it is evolved to put a bigger premium on the skillsets that he teaches. 

29 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Doubling down on the JAQing off maneuver, I see. It's tedious, unrewarding to everyone else, and menial, but hey, every board needs a few guys like you in order to achieve such highly feats as hitting 100 or 1000 pages of content for a thread. 

No one is overplaying anything, other you with your pursuit of spewing ignorance masquerading as needed caution for the board, as a self-nominated Team Mom to keep us all grounded and aligned. If Cutcliffe lands for a contender for Arch Manning, that contender becomes the heavy favorite for the player's services.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, The Deuce said:

Would you rather him have a big ego and only bring in people with worse résumés?🤷🏼‍♂️

Fucking A. 

Nick Saban has built a metaphorical Library of Alexandria for college football. It doesn’t matter if you’re the best coach or not, just your ability to harness the force of the information that you possess. He gives guys who are good at football the freedom to have some fun, do what they are good at and then move on to a good spot for their troubles. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Doubling down on the JAQing off maneuver, I see. It's tedious, unrewarding to everyone else, and menial, but hey, every board needs a few guys like you in order to achieve such highly feats as hitting 100 or 1000 pages of content for a thread. 

No one is overplaying anything, other you with your pursuit of spewing ignorance masquerading as needed caution for the board, as a self-nominated Team Mom to keep us all grounded and aligned. If Cutcliffe lands for a contender for Arch Manning, that contender becomes the heavy favorite for the player's services.

The fuck is your problem old man? I’m just asking a question about a coach that I’ve never heard of until yesterday. I didn’t realize it would cause you to explode with anger. Aren't you the cheerful cunt that is claiming that our 2023 class is already fucked, even though it’s fucking February? Settle down douche. Make sure to keep us in the loop with your “sources”😂😂

• Fuck You 19

7 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

The fuck is your problem old man? I’m just asking a question about a coach that I’ve never heard of until yesterday. I didn’t realize it would cause you to explode with anger. Aren't you the cheerful cunt that is claiming that our 2023 class is already fucked, even though it’s fucking February? Settle down douche. Make sure to keep us in the loop with your “sources”😂😂

jack off please GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, you're JAQ'ing the board off, and you're too stupid to avoid immediately walking right into the premise and verifying that you're doing so. It's rhetorical bullshit and BBS clown behavior. Then you cap it off with unimaginative namecalling, poor punctuation and an ad hominem attack attempting to question and sarcastically mock my posting integrity. You do these things because your position can't stand on its own merits and you have a room temperature IQ, so when you get exposed to adverse stimuli, your lizard brain attempts to lash out in a manner that worked in junior high in the hopes that it will make the meanie stop again this time.

Do us a favor and do what I what I said in the first place. Go do you own fucking work and research in an attempt to purify your own weak-minded ignorance and stop shitting up threads with your lazy, powerless, insipid musings. 

Do research on college football coaches? The fuck I look like, some dork that works at ESPN? God forbid you ask a fucking question on this board. We cheer for the same team, asshole. Lighten up. 

• Fuck You 34

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

in order to achieve such highly feats as hitting 100 or 1000 pages of content for a thread. 

I know I said it on another thread, but just way to reiterate that I wholeheartedly support posting of instagram sloots that are loosely base on a topic-any topic- that appear in the thread. 

just sayin

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

The fuck is your problem old man? I’m just asking a question about a coach that I’ve never heard of until yesterday.

We can't fault you for being young, but we can all consider it laziness and/or stupidity on your part for not even taking the effort to use the googles.

It is quite obvious that you have the means and mental capacity to effectively use the internet.

• Hook 'Em 2

Half of the teams that beat us last year fielded a defense of 3 stars and lower and we got smoked by a LB turned RB. I just want more knowledge in the building. Recruiting well is great and all and having a lot of 5 stars is obviously even better but development is what has been missing for way too long. You don’t have that issue with guys like Patterson and Cutcliffe in the building. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Could someone get me up to speed on Cutcliffe and how that could possibly put us in a better position to land Arch? I understand he was OC for his two uncles, but could an argument be made that the position has changed quite drastically from the 90s/early 2000s when Eli and Peyton played?
Well for one, Cutcliffe likely won't be the QB coach for Arch..and unless you think football has totally passed him by, he was very recently head coach of a decent program.

9 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Do research on college football coaches? The fuck I look like, some dork that works at ESPN? God forbid you ask a fucking question on this board. We cheer for the same team, asshole. Lighten up. 

As others have already shown, it was super hard work to get to the bottom of your mystery, were you actually interested in learning something to cure your ignorance.

Regarding cheering for the same team, Vladamir Putin still wears his Houston Oilers sweatshirt on his off days. 

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

So, not a very big college football fan then, I take it.

1995–1998    Tennessee (AHC/OC/QB) (Peyton 94-97)
1998–2004    Ole Miss
2006–2007    Tennessee (AHC/OC/QB)
2008–2021    Duke

To be fair, you can hardly expect many people to have heard of a guy that has been a Power 5 head coach for 19 of the last 23 years.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Bro, just quit football already. You've shown your ass more than we'd like to see.

• Hook 'Em 2