5-7 Bowl eligible?

Steelers Roll Left

Part of me thinks we should take the extra practices if we get a bowl invite. Part of me thinks we're better off calling it a year and starting the defensive staff overhaul + portal acquisition process. I lean towards we're going to lose our last game anyway... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Part of me thinks we should take the extra practices if we get a bowl invite. Part of me thinks we're better off calling it a year and starting the defensive staff overhaul + portal acquisition process. I lean towards we're going to lose our last game anyway... 

Yah might be right...  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Take the extra practices, and then claim a massive COVID outbreak and skip the actual game.

But we're not gonna beat the purple kitties so it won't matter anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Fuck that. Watch Texas lose 8 straight? No thanks. 
Given the expected roster turnover there’s no need for bulk of this shitty team to bother to check back into their dorm room next week let alone put a Longhorn uniform on again. 

To get into a bowl, we'd have to win our last game, so we wouldn't lose 8 straight. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, miguelito said:

If the backup QB starts, we're really fucked. 

this is just Klieman doing the standard coachspeak making us have to prepare for both.  I won't matter though.  Just like it wouldn't have mattered if we did the same thing this year.

20 minutes ago, Chico_SA said:

What bowl is taking a 5-7 team?

It's my understanding that the Big XII runs through its whole bowl agreement series.  Some combination of the CFP/Sugar/Fiesta will take our top two teams.  Alamo gets 3rd pick, Cheez-It gets 4th, Texas Bowl gets 5th, Liberty gets 6th, Guaranteedrate.com gets 7th, and then 8th goes to either (not both) the Armed Forces Bowl or the ServPro Bowl.  We'll very likely have 7 bowl eligible teams (6-6 or better), as I'm guessing WVU can handle Kansas in the season finale.  There actually does appear there may be a shortage of 6-6 "leftover" teams from non-P5 conferences, so first place bowls without two teams look are major P5 programs at 5-7.  It's not out of the realm of possibility one of those would take a 5-7 Longhorn team.  If TCU can't pull off the upset in Ames, we'd be the most attractive 5-7 team in the land, by far.  So we could conceivably get picked up by the Armed Forces Bowl (in Fort Worth) or the ServPro Bowl (at SMU).  

Obviously if we lose this Friday, it's a no-go.  But if we win, I'd say there's a 1 in 3 chance we go to one of those shit bowls.  It's beneath us and I think CDC and Hartzell would agree.  But if Coach tells them we need the extra practice, we'll go.

In OP's fantasy we'd end up facing Hayden Fox and the Screaming Minnesota Eagles in the Pioneer Bowl... 

Fuck it... we should just bring in a dump truck on the 50 yard line at Memorial and just set fire to a bunch of spare tires...

I'd buy a ticket and about 8 tall boys to just sit there and watch it burn.

• Like 1

If you get an invite, you take it. Start the purge and play the meaningless exhibition game to provide who is left some film work and instruction heading into spring. There are only three "bowl" games that matter now, all the rest are simply money grabs to entertain the unwashed rubes. Might as well participate if you can. As long as it doesn't interfere with watching Texas basketball, I'll tune in. It's still Texas football so ride or die.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

If you get an invite, you take it. Start the purge and play the meaningless exhibition game to provide who is left some film work and instruction heading into spring. There are only three "bowl" games that matter now, all the rest are simply money grabs to entertain the unwashed rubes. Might as well participate if you can. As long as it doesn't interfere with watching Texas basketball, I'll tune in. It's still Texas football so ride or die.

I choose death... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Funny you should mention basketball.  Only two bowl games that would take us at 5-7 would be the last Big XII bowl tie-in, either the Armed Forces Bowl (12/22) or the ServPro.com Bowl (12/28).  And what's on both those dates?  No, not Frank Stallone's farewell tour.  Two Longhorn home basketball games.  So yeah, I know where I'll be.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

It's my understanding that the Big XII runs through its whole bowl agreement series.  Some combination of the CFP/Sugar/Fiesta will take our top two teams.  Alamo gets 3rd pick, Cheez-It gets 4th, Texas Bowl gets 5th, Liberty gets 6th, Guaranteedrate.com gets 7th, and then 8th goes to either (not both) the Armed Forces Bowl or the ServPro Bowl.  We'll very likely have 7 bowl eligible teams (6-6 or better), as I'm guessing WVU can handle Kansas in the season finale.  There actually does appear there may be a shortage of 6-6 "leftover" teams from non-P5 conferences, so first place bowls without two teams look are major P5 programs at 5-7.  It's not out of the realm of possibility one of those would take a 5-7 Longhorn team.  If TCU can't pull off the upset in Ames, we'd be the most attractive 5-7 team in the land, by far.  So we could conceivably get picked up by the Armed Forces Bowl (in Fort Worth) or the ServPro Bowl (at SMU).  

Obviously if we lose this Friday, it's a no-go.  But if we win, I'd say there's a 1 in 3 chance we go to one of those shit bowls.  It's beneath us and I think CDC and Hartzell would agree.  But if Coach tells them we need the extra practice, we'll go.

From the article: “If there are not enough six-win teams, any remaining bowl openings could be filled with 5-7 teams based on the NCAA Academic Progress Rate for football programs. Texas has moved up the APR standings in recent years and is set up well to pick off a bid, if it comes to that.……. Of the 10 spots still available, four will be grabbed by winners of 5-6 vs. 5-6 games. That will make 76 bowl-eligible teams, leaving six slots. But only three other 5-6 teams are favored this week, so if form holds, three bids will go to 5-7 teams based on APR.

Just four potential 5-7 teams are ahead of Texas in the APR pecking order, and two — Middle Tennessee and Rutgers — can get bowl-eligible with wins over fellow 5-6 teams. A third, Washington, needs to upset Washington State in the Apple Cup to reach 5-7. The fourth team, California, is 4-6 and an underdog to UCLA before closing Dec. 4 against USC, which also is 4-6.  Texas' 974 APR is tied with Florida, which will host Florida State in one of the 5-6 vs. 5-6 showdowns. If the Longhorns and Gators each finish 5-7 and one bowl bid is left, maybe they'll do a Final Jeopardy question to decide it.…”

Guess I'm the only one that wants a bowl - especially if they play local and I can go.  Reward the few non-quitters.
Normally I'd be the same way, especially since the Armed Forces Bowl is literally a 10 minute uber away for me, but it will turn my stomach watching another team who likely wants to be there more than we do...push our shit in. Thats no way to cap off the shittiest season in recent memory..ready to flush 2021 down the shitter and start fresh.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Guess I'm the only one that wants a bowl - especially if they play local and I can go.  Reward the few non-quitters.

I will always tune in for 90% of Texas football games as a pretty hard floor. There are at least 5 or 6 I've missed since Charlie took over simply due to being checked out by the end of the season (even then I'm still following the score). And I admit a couple this year I haven't tuned in until midway through the first.

I will 100% watch Texas in a bowl game. I watched the Charlie team put up 59 yards or whatever it was against Pig in a bowl game. I might as well watch the rest until I kick it. 

Maybe in further years I will come to hate myself less and decouple from my obsession for this team but I seriously doubt it. It was and always will be my first love. So what if they suck forever - maybe they won't suck next year. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

From the article: “If there are not enough six-win teams, any remaining bowl openings could be filled with 5-7 teams based on the NCAA Academic Progress Rate for football programs. Texas has moved up the APR standings in recent years and is set up well to pick off a bid, if it comes to that.……. Of the 10 spots still available, four will be grabbed by winners of 5-6 vs. 5-6 games. That will make 76 bowl-eligible teams, leaving six slots. But only three other 5-6 teams are favored this week, so if form holds, three bids will go to 5-7 teams based on APR.

Just four potential 5-7 teams are ahead of Texas in the APR pecking order, and two — Middle Tennessee and Rutgers — can get bowl-eligible with wins over fellow 5-6 teams. A third, Washington, needs to upset Washington State in the Apple Cup to reach 5-7. The fourth team, California, is 4-6 and an underdog to UCLA before closing Dec. 4 against USC, which also is 4-6.  Texas' 974 APR is tied with Florida, which will host Florida State in one of the 5-6 vs. 5-6 showdowns. If the Longhorns and Gators each finish 5-7 and one bowl bid is left, maybe they'll do a Final Jeopardy question to decide it.…”

So you’re telling me there’s a Chance 

2 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

In OP's fantasy we'd end up facing Hayden Fox and the Screaming Minnesota Eagles in the Pioneer Bowl... 

Fuck it... we should just bring in a dump truck on the 50 yard line at Memorial and just set fire to a bunch of spare tires...

I'd buy a ticket and about 8 tall boys to just sit there and watch it burn.

123_1_2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2