Man in Texas killed trying to pick up kids from ex-wife

Jive Turkey

8 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

This is all very confusing. I’m sure a podcast will come out of this that clears things up and fills in more details. 

Chad Read: Deceased

Kyle Carruth: Boyfriend of ex wife, Christina

Christina: Ex-wife

Jennifer: Widow of Chad. 

Chad went to see his son per a 3:15 pm Court ordered visit. He drives to her current boyfriend (I think she is also married to someone else? And dating the shooter?) parent's home. Deceased is understandably upset son isn't there and not available for visit. Ex confirms that she violated the court visitation on video. His now widow is in the truck filming on her phone with her son in the truck outside the residence. Argument happens (which is in the video  and I got the play by play of what was said above.) Widow is now petitioning for custody of her dead husband's kid and also another child claiming that the situation is dangerous and also the kids don't want to be around their mom's current boyfriend the shooter. Its confusing as fuck but I posted a link that somewhat clears up most of it...I think? 

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

During the argument, Christina could be heard saying the child was not home and that she was going to fetch him.  She also said that she didn't abide by the court ordered deadline because she wanted to see their son. 

"I don't care if you wanted to see him or not," Chad Read said. "I get him at 3:15 p.m. If you want to see him, you see him up until 3:15. You keep trying to keep my son from me."

Chad Read threatened to subpoena multiple people in response, including Kyle Carruth's ex wife, Judge Anne-Marie Carruth. At that point, Kyle, who previously told Chad to leave the property, emerged from the home with a rifle.

The two can be seen bumping chests as they argue. Chad Read challenged Kyle Carruth to use the weapon.

"Do it," Read can be heard saying. "You better ******* use it ************."

The two continue arguing. Jennifer Read, who is filming the altercation from a vehicle, tells someone off camera to call the police. Carruth is seen firing a shot on the ground at Read's feet.

Read places his hand on the gun, propelling Carruth away from him. Carruth then spins around and fires twice at Read, who could be heard saying, "think I'm ******* scared?"

The camera pans at Read who has dropped on the ground as Jennifer Read calls again for someone to call 911. 

Jennifer tells Kyle she has the incident on video.

"You did it, not him," Jennifer Read says.

Kyle responds, telling her "I told all of y'all to leave."

"None of you all should be here. I asked you to leave. I did everything ... I did not want to do any of this."

Responding officers arrived to find Chad dead at the scene.

"The children are aware that Kyle Carruth shot and killed their father in front of their mother, step-brother, and myself," Read's affidavit states. "Christina's decision to allow either of these children to be in Kyle Carruth's presence has caused, and continues to cause, significant impairment of their emotional well-being. The oldest child has expressed to me that he blames his mother for the shooting, and that he will run away from home if he sees Kyle there again."

Lots more at the link: https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/news/2021/11/26/chad-read-shooting-kyle-carruth-lubbock-judge-case-investigation/8765295002/

Divorced men reading this post.

angry-fist.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, F250 said:

Divorced men reading this post.

angry-fist.gif

I was fortunate enough not to go through that in my brief marriage. No kids but I think my ex would have been an amazing dad. I have no ill will there. But there are just so many horror stories going in in custody cases (women and men getting screwed over by the courts), foster kids getting screwed by the system, kids begging for adoption...its just a shit system where the kids aren't first and foremost. Sorry...not trying to derail. I do understand how awful it can be and often is. I just felt like this was a set up. there are a couple of articles I didn't feel comfortable linking that say the ex-wife was escalating all of this to a point where the deceased was pushed in a direction we'd all like to believe we wouldn't go in.

She is a real POS this Christina (might as well call her Christine after the car/Stephen King novel.) A cunt. And normally, I would try to keep an open mind but a cunt is a cunt and bitch is too good a term for her. Again, I am pretty fair when it comes to rape allegations/sexual harassment etc...will always be fair. All of the stuff I have read (regardless of whether or not people think the deceased acted wrongly or even was unfit) suggests she and her boyfriend the shooter were escalating this shit. I am not saying the deceased acted correctly, I am just saying when it comes to family of all things people can get upset about...damn...we have people killing each other at four-way stops. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The wife used her children as a tool to fuck with their dad, her ex.  There is NEVER a time when that's acceptable other than the dad being a dead beat dad, and even then she should use the courts, not her kids unless there’s imminent danger.

That Caruth mother fucker needs prison time. Shot into the ground, and then was pushed/ scuffled with, and made it away to a safe vantage point, and then put multiple rounds into a guy not even advancing on him.

Not sure where the fear for your life ever comes into play there, unless you’re a scared, little, Pussy brandishing a weapon. 

The father was a dumb ass for ever engaging someone with a weapon though.  Children should never see what went down in that yard.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I was fortunate enough not to go through that in my brief marriage. No kids but I think my ex would have been an amazing dad. I have no ill will there. But there are just so many horror stories going in in custody cases (women and men getting screwed over by the courts), foster kids getting screwed by the system, kids begging for adoption...its just a shit system where the kids aren't first and foremost. Sorry...not trying to derail. I do understand how awful it can be and often is. I just felt like this was a set up. there are a couple of articles I didn't feel comfortable linking that say the ex-wife was escalating all of this to a point where the deceased was pushed in a direction we'd all like to believe we wouldn't go in.

She is a real POS this Christina (might as well call her Christine after the car/Stephen King novel.) A cunt. And normally, I would try to keep an open mind but a cunt is a cunt and bitch is too good a term for her. Again, I am pretty fair when it comes to rape allegations/sexual harassment etc...will always be fair. All of the stuff I have read (regardless of whether or not people think the deceased acted wrongly or even was unfit) suggests she and her boyfriend the shooter were escalating this shit. I am not saying the deceased acted correctly, I am just saying when it comes to family of all things people can get upset about...damn...we have people killing each other at four-way stops. 

She is a cunt for putting her kids in a dangerous situation and one that lead to their father's murder. Just so fucked up. I lean towards the theory that they were baiting the ex-husband but there is no hard evidence. Either way, she is a cunt.

As previously mentioned the dad was dumb for taking the bait. You just can't let other people manipulate your behavior. Custody exchanges can be tense and I suspect that the ex-wife knew just how to push the ex-husbands buttons to get the desired outcome.

I mentioned this in the divorce thread awhile back during my divorce, my ex-wife showed up at my then 15 year old son's baseball tournament with her new boyfriend. We were pretty fresh into the divorce and I really didn't appreciate her bringing this new person around me and my kids.

Still, I wasn't about to let her trigger me. I was with my teenage sons when she walked up with her scrawny neck beard boyfriend.

Me and my sons interaction went something like this.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Chad Read: Deceased

Kyle Carruth: Boyfriend of ex wife, Christina

Christina: Ex-wife

Jennifer: Widow of Chad. 

Chad went to see his son per a 3:15 pm Court ordered visit. He drives to her current boyfriend (I think she is also married to someone else? And dating the shooter?) parent's home. Deceased is understandably upset son isn't there and not available for visit. Ex confirms that she violated the court visitation on video. His now widow is in the truck filming on her phone with her son in the truck outside the residence. Argument happens (which is in the video  and I got the play by play of what was said above.) Widow is now petitioning for custody of her dead husband's kid and also another child claiming that the situation is dangerous and also the kids don't want to be around their mom's current boyfriend the shooter. Its confusing as fuck but I posted a link that somewhat clears up most of it...I think? 

I believe you left out that carruth’s ex wife is a judge?

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I believe you left out that carruth’s ex wife is a judge?

It was in the link I posted: But...This is a very complicated case, @Pato del Muerto. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in Nicole44's head. Luckily I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind, you know, limber.

Ann-Marie Carruth

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Dude was a bit too quick on the trigger. He seems like he has wanted this scenario to play out, and I hope he catches some type of charge.  All of that said, if you are on someone’s porch, and they’ve asked you to leave, you should probably leave. When they go inside and come out with a weapon, you should absolutely leave. When they fire a warning shot at you, you should absolutely leave. That’s a bad time to play middle school bump chest and shit talk. Dad made a fuckload of mistakes, and is now dead.   He was considerably bigger than the bf, and was probably thinking little man wasn’t going to do anything.  Little man being little man, wasnt going to handle that physically. I think shooter will face time because this will take off in the twittershepre and I’ll be another political bullshit deal. Without it, probably 50/50 because rural Texas.  Rule 1 is you shouldn’t be aggressive on someone’s property, because legally or not you might end up dead. I weep for the children involved. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Dude was a bit too quick on the trigger. He seems like he has wanted this scenario to play out, and I hope he catches some type of charge.  All of that said, if you are on someone’s porch, and they’ve asked you to leave, you should probably leave. When they go inside and come out with a weapon, you should absolutely leave. When they fire a warning shot at you, you should absolutely leave. That’s a bad time to play middle school bump chest and shit talk. Dad made a fuckload of mistakes, and is now dead.   He was considerably bigger than the bf, and was probably thinking little man wasn’t going to do anything.  Little man being little man, wasnt going to handle that physically. I think shooter will face time because this will take off in the twittershepre and I’ll be another political bullshit deal. Without it, probably 50/50 because rural Texas.  Rule 1 is you shouldn’t be aggressive on someone’s property, because legally or not you might end up dead. I weep for the children involved. 

I think most all of us agree on this. He was baited into a situation I think they knew he'd be drawn into. All the more reason to walk away and call cops and whomever. I think he felt like with this new relationship that his ex had he was fucked. He was at the end of his rope. No one should behave this way. I am just saying there is a bigger story to his behavior. I just won't post it. 

42 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Rule 1 is you shouldn’t be aggressive on someone’s property, because legally or not you might end up dead. I weep for the children involved. 

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think most all of us agree on this. He was baited into a situation I think they knew he'd be drawn into. All the more reason to walk away and call cops and whomever. I think he felt like with this new relationship that his ex had he was fucked. He was at the end of his rope. No one should behave this way. I am just saying there is a bigger story to his behavior. I just won't post it. 

Had the dead guy been a little calmer, he would be alive and could have ended up with full custody of the children.  Their mom was fucking around with custody times, and had a bf who was unhinged enough to ultimately shoot towards the house, putting the lives of the kid(s) inside in danger.

Hopefully the widow ends up with the kids.

Lots of us have multiple guns. We don't act this way. I am certified prone, sitting and standing. Pistol and rifle. It is the type of people. JMO. I go back to the West Wing episode... certain people just hate people who own guns. Most of us  gun owners don't do irresponsible shit. We do not. 

But hey you could say the same exact shit about people who deal and use illegal  drugs. Fentanayl is a death sentence. Or cars. Most people have cars and act as though they are doing all daily activities while driving to work,  All those things kill. People who hate guns just hate people who have them. And likely don't know how they work or how to fire them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Lots of us have multiple guns. We don't act this way. I am certified prone, sitting and standing. Pistol and rifle. It is the type of people. JMO. I go back to the West Wing episode... certain people just hate people who own guns. Most of us  gun owners don't do irresponsible shit. We do not. 
But hey you could say the same exact shit about people who deal and use illegal  drugs. Fentanayl is a death sentence. Or cars. Most people have cars and act as though they are doing all daily activities while driving to work,  All those things kill. People who hate guns just hate people who have them. And likely don't know how they work or how to fire them. 

Note that I didn’t say anything about owning guns. I don’t hate them. I own quite a few myself. My family all knows how to shoot and enjoy doing so. I commented about USING them. Don’t bring your guns to town, that sort of thing.

It’s not about guns. Well, not JUST guns. It’s about our culture leaning more and more on guns as problem solvers. And of course, it’s almost entirely men. There’s probably a whole tangent there about the shitty state of American men, but let’s save it for another thread.

Watch “Friday.” We’re solving problems with lethal force that shouldn’t involve lethal force at all. This whole affair was a shitshow. But it ended that way because someone brought a gun out to play.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Watch “Friday.” We’re solving problems with lethal force that shouldn’t involve lethal force at all. This whole affair was a shitshow. But it ended that way because someone brought a gun out to play.

The dad bears some responsibility. His kid wasn’t there, walk away.  Yes, it wouldn’t have ended that way without the gun, but it wouldn’t have ended that way had he walked off either.  Just a big old shitshow. Also, yeah. Lots of people afraid of a good asswhipping these days. Don’t know how you fix that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Note that I didn’t say anything about owning guns. I don’t hate them. I own quite a few myself. My family all knows how to shoot and enjoy doing so. I commented about USING them. Don’t bring your guns to town, that sort of thing.

It’s not about guns. Well, not JUST guns. It’s about our culture leaning more and more on guns as problem solvers. And of course, it’s almost entirely men. There’s probably a whole tangent there about the shitty state of American men, but let’s save it for another thread.

Not arguing with you. You are one of my favorite posters on this whole site. I just felt like this was a trap. He was already angry because he had been denied seeing his son on multiple times. It was more a child custody thing. She shouldn't be allowed to raise that one kid. I feel like. I have read too much. its awful. I feel like the State;s Attorney General's office should forward the case onto the Rangers. Guns should never have come into play here. It was a trap. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

The dad bears some responsibility. His kid wasn’t there, walk away.  Yes, it wouldn’t have ended that way without the gun, but it wouldn’t have ended that way had he walked off either.  Just a big old shitshow. Also, yeah. Lots of people afraid of a good asswhipping these days. Don’t know how you fix that. 

Agreed. I think he was pissed for more reasons than that.  Can't confirm that the ex was married to someone else and living with him and that relationship inflamed the whole thing. Trying to find what the records are saying on the new boyfriend, Judge's ex. 

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve got 3 in the closet and one in the nightstand, and the only time I’ve thought about using any of them outside of hunting was when a convicted murderer was parked in front of my house because he thought I snitched on him in an insurance fraud case.

No doubt - note that my first statement was that a lot of bad decisions happened here. And yeah, it sure smells like a setup.

I’ve got 3 in the closet and one in the nightstand, and the only time I’ve thought about using any of them outside of hunting was when a convicted murderer was parked in front of my house because he thought I snitched on him in an insurance fraud case.

Well, did you? Fucking snitch.

Just now, conVINCEd said:

I like hitting odd metal signs. Not much for hunting or a catch release type fisher gal. I have one picture of 1,000 yards out where I hit the target bullseye. This case breaks my heart because this guy had evidence that his ex was a bad influence but he just didn't have the ability or fortitude or confidence to weigh this one out. Read up on the cunt. 

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

Shooting right?

I’d rather shoot prone depending on the rifle.

I know this one goes in the gun thread and will be deleted...are you left or right eye dominant? I feel the same way, about y'all golf fuckers. I can never get the grip right. I was a golf beer cart driver to make money for a bit in my youth. To go back to this thread...I can't see how this wasn't a set up. Apparently, according to his obit he did have some money. Some type of inventor. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No doubt - note that my first statement was that a lot of bad decisions happened here. And yeah, it sure smells like a setup.

Well, did you? Fucking snitch.

I did.  I got no stitches, but was prepared to blast away on that particular night.  The company I worked for at the time brought in an armed ex-Navy Seal to work the front desk of our office for a few weeks 

You should never bring out a gun unless you are fully prepared to shoot something. Which is why unless you are hunting for recreation you should almost never bring out a gun unless it really is justified.
It totally wasn’t justified here and people need to start suffering consequences for doing so. 

Well said.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You should never bring out a gun unless you are fully prepared to shoot something. Which is why unless you are hunting for recreation you should almost never bring out a gun unless it really is justified.

It totally wasn’t justified here and people need to start suffering consequences for doing so. 

This. 

After thinking about this for a little while and trying to consider all possible points of view, I just can't wrap my head around how the shooter could at anytime feel reasonably threatened for his or anyone else's life.  Especially after he retrieved the firearm.  To me that's straight up murder and the shooter should do hard time for it.  And I'm a very pro 2A, pro right to self defense kind of guy.  But I just don't see how the angry dad did anything to rise to the level of being a genuine threat to hurt or kill anyone.  It's sad that we as a country seem to be moving farther and farther away from learning and using the art of conflict resolution and reason as a means of decision making in situations like this.  It feels like nowadays people see every situation as binary, and think they have to react one way or another in an instant.  Certainly those situations exist, but not nearly as often as we see it play out now.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Don’t really care what the situation is, that’s just A+ advice.  

Watch Halloween Kills and it’s all about what not to do. That would be my favorite of any of all the movies.

Ya if some one is pointing a gun at you walk or drive away. Yes kids are at stake. So is your fucking life.

36 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

So I saw in one post the shooter was a district judge.  But later clarified shooter’s ex is a judge. The ex is the judge correct?   Ann Marie Carruth, not Kyle?

She is the shooter’s ex wife. So the case went to the attorney general…but…rangers also may also oversee video…lots of exes.