Man in Texas killed trying to pick up kids from ex-wife

Jive Turkey

our gun fetish has not been 'normalized', it is the core of our American DNA.

we had a French exchange student stay with us a few years back (working on her PhD at UT). we were discussing the latest mass shooting here and she asked to see some of our handguns. she was quite in awe.

this-is-america-childish.gif

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Normalized ?  That ship sailed 200 years ago. Guns, and hunting have been a part of our culture since it's inception.  Making them boogie men, and some horrible thing is the problem.  Being scared of firearms is a horrible way to go thru life.

Being so scared you think you need a firearm is a horrible way to go thru life.

• Hook 'Em 4

Apparently mchookem was so terrified of some young french female nerd that he went out and bought a bunch of guns before she arrived.  We are a frightened and violent culture.  

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Where is this coming from?  Has a grand jury no-billed him?  DA declined to take it to grand jury?

Here's an article from a few days ago indicating that the investigation commenced last month by the Texas AG's office is still ongoing.  So I don't think any final decisions have been made with respect to whether criminal charges will be filed against Carruth.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/man-who-shot-girlfriends-ex-husband-on-front-porch-in-texas-asks-judge-to-move-lawsuits-out-of-concern-that-he-cant-get-a-fair-trial/

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I imagine there will be a civil suit. 

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

He seems like the kind of guy who has a lot of assets to satisfy a significant judgment.

8 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Make him sell his guns / Ford pickup to pay for it. Hit him where it hurts.

He lives with his parents and recently divorced, so probably yeah. It could actually hurt worse since he doesn't have much that can be shielded from judgement and could end up paying it off for years.

Edited by TexasEd

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Looks like a candy store to me.

Seriously, the Las Vegas gun stores with shooting ranges are packed with Asian & European tourists who pay exorbitant fees to shoot all kinds of firearms, including full auto machine guns. Two of of my English friends visiting in recent years put shooting sessions near the top of their must do list.

A018B612-5C56-405A-93B7-E457280A666D.jpeg

image.thumb.png.32b47697047e2111149d0f2bc842e4f0.png

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, TexasEd said:

He lives with his parents and recently divorced, so probably yeah. It could actually hurt worse since he doesn't have much that can be shielded from judgement and could end up paying it off for years.

Texas law exempts certain assets from creditors, including an automobile, some guns, and household furnishings up to a certain amount. And you can’t garnish wages from an employer. So a judgment of any amount might really not hurt that much, unless his career earnings suddenly take off.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/8/2021 at 8:07 PM, used2b said:

A few years ago in Midland a homeowner shot and killed a police officer who entered his home after a false security alarm. He was charged with murder and just acquitted today. That is a non-guilty verdict I can get behind in a castle doctrine case.

https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/crime/trial-david-wilson-midland-police-officer-nathan-heidelberg/513-1e34dfd5-86ab-4384-898f-921bc8103f64

The one this thread is about however, I cannot at this point.

Interesting case, I had not heard about that one.

The defense had a hell of an expert in Albert Rodriguez, he is a retired DPS commander, director for training, and is about as good as it gets for an expert in defensive use of force. He probably had a hand in training the Rangers who testified for the state. 

On 1/7/2022 at 5:38 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Here's an article from a few days ago indicating that the investigation commenced last month by the Texas AG's office is still ongoing.  So I don't think any final decisions have been made with respect to whether criminal charges will be filed against Carruth.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/man-who-shot-girlfriends-ex-husband-on-front-porch-in-texas-asks-judge-to-move-lawsuits-out-of-concern-that-he-cant-get-a-fair-trial/

Stop DT'ing up the CR.  Off topic.  

On 1/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, DanRydell said:

Being so scared you think you need a firearm is a horrible way to go thru life.

Yeah, I own several guns (handguns and rifles), but I don't understand the feeling that you need to have one on your person at all times.  I'm 47 years old and can't think of one time in my life that I would have needed a gun on my person.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Yeah, I own several guns (handguns and rifles), but I don't understand the feeling that you need to have one on your person at all times.  I'm 47 years old and can't think of one time in my life that I would have needed a gun on my person.  

And that’s why you lost your planet:
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I thought the Wookie home planet, although devastated by the Empire, was still in tact...as in they didn't blow it up?  

I think that was Chewie's old adage though, "I live on the greatest planet in the Galaxy, but I need to constantly be packing because it's the most dangerous place ever." 

Han eventually appropriated it simply as, "nothing like a good blaster at your side, kid."  

Still Chewie's juxtaposition raises a good point. 

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Obviously you've never met Chip Brown.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

I thought the Wookie home planet, although devastated by the Empire, was still in tact...as in they didn't blow it up?  

I think that was Chewie's old adage though, "I live on the greatest planet in the Galaxy, but I need to constantly be packing because it's the most dangerous place ever." 

Han eventually appropriated it simply as, "nothing like a good blaster at your side, kid."  

Still Chewie's juxtaposition raises a good point. 

Well it wasn't blown to shit like Mandalore, but the wookies kidnapped and sold into slavery around the galaxy would be considered losing their planet.  From a certain point of view.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Well it wasn't blown to shit like Mandalore, but the wookies kidnapped and sold into slavery around the galaxy would be considered losing their planet.  From a certain point of view.  

Well according to the point of view of Admiral Tarkin, the whole incident should be called "The War of Wookie Aggression" and the empire was just exercising inter-stellar, inter-species rights.  I mean how long is Chewie gonna complain about it?  Enough with that shit already, time to move on.  

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2022 at 11:37 PM, Chewbacca said:

I'm 34 and own a dozen guns. I haven't needed them up until now. However, my daughter will start dating in about ten years

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Kavinsky said:

I'm 34 and own a dozen guns. I haven't needed them up until now. However, my daughter will start dating in about ten years

What's happening right now you need a dozen guns?  Click twice if you need help.  

The presentation of the case to a special grand jury “included several eyewitnesses, family of Chad Read, and additional evidence that was not previously released to the public

assume this additional evidence was to attack the character of the victim

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/no-criminal-charges-against-texas-man-who-shot-and-killed-girlfriends-ex-husband-during-front-porch-custody-fight/

Chad Read was involved in a heated discussion with his ex-wife concerning custody of his son. The video shows that Kyle Carruth injected himself into that discussion. We believe there was no legitimate reason for Kyle Carruth to bring a deadly weapon to an argument that he wasn’t even a part of. Chad Read died unarmed, shot and killed while simply trying to determine the whereabouts of his son

Edited by pacman

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wonder if that was a legitimate presentation no-billed by a bunch of retrograde rednecks or a sandbag by a retrograde DA.

Answered by the lawandcrime.com article:

The office of Ken Paxton (R), the Texas attorney general, announced Wednesday that a special grand jury voted not to indict Kyle Carruth, who shot and killed Chad Read in November.

5 hours ago, po elvis said:

Health insurance is a waste of money right up until the point that it’s not.  That’s kind of how insurance works.  It protects you from a catastrophic financial event that is unlikely to happen.  My health insurance ripped me off for 20+ years. I got my revenge last year.  Didn’t get a whole lot of satisfaction out of the deal, but if you add up the premiums paid versus the expenditures on my behalf, I’m winning bigly.

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Answered by the lawandcrime.com article:

The office of Ken Paxton (R), the Texas attorney general, announced Wednesday that a special grand jury voted not to indict Kyle Carruth, who shot and killed Chad Read in November.

this seems odd ?