Man in Texas killed trying to pick up kids from ex-wife

Jive Turkey

No idea what’s gonna happen with the law, but dude was not in imminent danger at this point when he made the decision to fire.  Dunno if the assault getting slung off his porch matters, but at the time he pulled the trigger, he was in the least amount of danger of any point while he was outside the house with his gun.

6C56833F-08C4-49E1-A4B3-4CE37231E3CF.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Chad Read’s widow has filed for custody of his kids with his ex. It’s way too long to post but the widow contends that this was all orchestrated on purpose. She was present in Chad’s truck along with another child. He was there to pick up his youngest son per court order at 3:15 pm and ex-wife refuses to comply. Then the ex-wife goes to the yard to start filming and her current boyfriend the shooter goes into house and comes out with a gun. Widow was alleging this was all done on purpose to get rid of Chad. 

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/11/24/attorney-chad-reads-widow-files-petition-take-custody-his-children-their-mother-releases-video-shooting/

It is pretty shocking/damning stuff. But I really hate it when parents play games with custody and custody/court orders. If all that is true. You can read the widow’s affidavit in the link above. Damn. I realize it was heated and all of that but the ex wife sounds like a cunt. Pardon. 

It's how we lost Zork. God rest his soul. Divorce seems to be terrible when you marry a psycho.

Edited by workswithseed
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Goredho said:

No idea what’s gonna happen with the law, but dude was not in imminent danger at this point when he made the decision to fire.  Dunno if the assault getting slung off his porch matters, but at the time he pulled the trigger, he was in the least amount of danger of any point while he was outside the house with his gun.

6C56833F-08C4-49E1-A4B3-4CE37231E3CF.jpeg

What’s crazy is that he is shooting toward the people in the house. Some of whom are kids (his kids?).   Wtf. Even if i was scared for my life i would never shoot towards kids who are 10 feet away. 

Edited by ONE YARD
  • Hook 'Em 7

22 minutes ago, Goredho said:

This was the point where the shooter was in the most danger, and it’s only because he brought a gun into the confrontation.

Well we just saw in another trial that bringing a gun into a confrontation is your right, and someone reaching for that gun constitutes assault and justifies """self defense""". Surprised to see an about-face from some folks in this thread about that. 

To me, it looks like manslaughter at the least and probably murder, but we'll see if the local DA thinks so

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m usually pro-Castle doctrine but I agree with the recent posts. There never seemed to be a imminent threat of death or serious harm, the shooter never (on film) attempted to contact the police, and escalated by leaving, getting a rifle, and bringing it back to re-engage. The deceased was also stupid to put his hands on the nut job’s rifle. If he knew his ladyfriend was video recording from the truck, I think he has golden ticket level evidence at their next custody hearing. His ex-wife who is remarried but having an affair with a guy who brandished a rifle and threatened the father in front of the children with no objection by the mother. Instead he is dead. 

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What does he have on it to keep it that quiet? Or is that the terrible recording?

I read somewhere it’s a 9mm low power something or other.  It’s not suppressed but with the long barrel it just doesn’t have much of a report. That’s why the lady recording in the car didn’t think the guy got shot.  She thought he got tased or something and started to realize something was wrong right at the end of the video. 

18 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

At 0:06 and again at 1:24 when they are face to face on the porch, you see and hear the shooter fire the gun at the victims feet and he doesn't even flinch. Was that his idea of a warning shot? Idiot

At that point, isn't the victim acting in self-defense?

Fucker just fired a gun at his foot.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas self-defense statute is https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-9-31.html.

It requires basically that the actor believe that force is reasonably necessary to protect against the other's use of force.

The key term there is "reasonably necessary."  The statute erects a presumption that the force was reasonable under various circumstances (in or entering home, etc.) that I don't think are present here, so it's a pure jury question.

• Like 1

I don’t care how pissed I am at someone.  They come out of the house with a gun, I am backing up and leaving. Both those idiots were acting like there wasn’t a gun involved until the end.  I suppose this is why I’ve never been involved in a gunfight despite owning lots of them since childhood.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When the ex doesn't comply you have a printed copy of the decree and you call the cops.  You get the kids and go eat turkey a little later than you planned.  I'm lucky to have a very reasonable ex who wouldn't pull that shit but damn, there's a right way and a wrong way to act if the decree is on your side.  What a waste.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don’t care how pissed I am at someone.  They come out of the house with a gun, I am backing up and leaving. Both those idiots were acting like there wasn’t a gun involved until the end.  I suppose this is why I’ve never been involved in a gunfight despite owning lots of them since childhood.

The key words right there >>>>>>^^^^^^^^

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Kid exchanges are rough. They are even more stressful when one party is violating the decree. Adding a boyfriend into the mix is just throwing gasoline onto fire. Breaking the decree while keeping the kid at boyfriend's place who is a gun nut is all kinds of dangerously stupid. So many red flags.

This woman who is ultimately responsible for creating this situation is probably many levels beyond psycho bitch.

Yep. That’s why the widow is petitioning for custody of her deceased hubby’s kiddos. His kid/kids with the ex shouldn’t be in the same house as her boyfriend. That’s bullshit. I mean I don’t think court would allow a stepmom to get custody but still…

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Chad Read’s widow has filed for custody of his kids with his ex. It’s way too long to post but the widow contends that this was all orchestrated on purpose. She was present in Chad’s truck along with another child. He was there to pick up his youngest son per court order at 3:15 pm and ex-wife refuses to comply. Then the ex-wife goes to the yard to start filming and her current boyfriend the shooter goes into house and comes out with a gun. Widow was alleging this was all done on purpose to get rid of Chad. 

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/11/24/attorney-chad-reads-widow-files-petition-take-custody-his-children-their-mother-releases-video-shooting/

It is pretty shocking/damning stuff. But I really hate it when parents play games with custody and custody/court orders. If all that is true. You can read the widow’s affidavit in the link above. Damn. I realize it was heated and all of that but the ex wife sounds like a cunt. Pardon. 

Well that’s one way to turn this into a murder charge.  Premeditation and conspiracy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The audio made it sound like he was there to pick up the kids as the agreed exchange spot but the mom left at least one kid (son) at her mother's and did not tell the dad.  The dad is pissed and arguing about the lack of communication and changing plans instead of just documenting it for the court and leaving to go to the former mother in law's.

• Hook 'Em 3

This really just feels like a fucking set up...also there will be other things political etc...and I know the deceased didn't "act" appropriately or whatever the fuck people want to call it but damn. I have heard so many horror stories about people violating their custody orders/court orders when it comes to custody...and damn the dad is dead and I don't doubt he felt like he was at the end of his rope with this bitch and her boyfriend. Sure, he could have called the cops and walked away. And he obviously didn't. But the ex-wife and her boyfriend shouldn't get off without some kind of punishment. It seems like from the Lubbock articles I have read his ex-wife was escalating all this...when you factor in the emotions that custody brings up it really reads like they were trying to bait him into it. Sadly, he took that bait. But fuck the ex wife and her shitass boyfriend too. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

During the argument, Christina could be heard saying the child was not home and that she was going to fetch him.  She also said that she didn't abide by the court ordered deadline because she wanted to see their son. 

"I don't care if you wanted to see him or not," Chad Read said. "I get him at 3:15 p.m. If you want to see him, you see him up until 3:15. You keep trying to keep my son from me."

Chad Read threatened to subpoena multiple people in response, including Kyle Carruth's ex wife, Judge Anne-Marie Carruth. At that point, Kyle, who previously told Chad to leave the property, emerged from the home with a rifle.

The two can be seen bumping chests as they argue. Chad Read challenged Kyle Carruth to use the weapon.

"Do it," Read can be heard saying. "You better ******* use it ************."

The two continue arguing. Jennifer Read, who is filming the altercation from a vehicle, tells someone off camera to call the police. Carruth is seen firing a shot on the ground at Read's feet.

Read places his hand on the gun, propelling Carruth away from him. Carruth then spins around and fires twice at Read, who could be heard saying, "think I'm ******* scared?"

The camera pans at Read who has dropped on the ground as Jennifer Read calls again for someone to call 911. 

Jennifer tells Kyle she has the incident on video.

"You did it, not him," Jennifer Read says.

Kyle responds, telling her "I told all of y'all to leave."

"None of you all should be here. I asked you to leave. I did everything ... I did not want to do any of this."

Responding officers arrived to find Chad dead at the scene.

"The children are aware that Kyle Carruth shot and killed their father in front of their mother, step-brother, and myself," Read's affidavit states. "Christina's decision to allow either of these children to be in Kyle Carruth's presence has caused, and continues to cause, significant impairment of their emotional well-being. The oldest child has expressed to me that he blames his mother for the shooting, and that he will run away from home if he sees Kyle there again."

Lots more at the link: https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/news/2021/11/26/chad-read-shooting-kyle-carruth-lubbock-judge-case-investigation/8765295002/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure what their political stances have to do with this other than people on Twitter wanting their political stances to have something to do with it.

Aaaaaaaaaand this is where we are with the Internet in 2021**, unfortunately.

** For the foreseeable future, as well.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Well we just saw in another trial that bringing a gun into a confrontation is your right, and someone reaching for that gun constitutes assault and justifies """self defense""". Surprised to see an about-face from some folks in this thread about that. 

To me, it looks like manslaughter at the least and probably murder, but we'll see if the local DA thinks so

I’m assuming you’re talking about KR?   That kid was running away the whole time.  He only shot when he was being shot at or being whacked with a skateboard

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Two men with small penises. 

Probably really tiny, like less than 6 inches.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I don’t care how pissed I am at someone.  They come out of the house with a gun, I am backing up and leaving. 

Not only are you leaving, but you are documenting it and calling 911, and getting ready to get full custody of your kids since you can show your ex is keeping them in a fucked up and dangerous environment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1