Ohio State. Michigan. 11 am. FOX. The Game.

Parliament

• Parliament changed the title to Ohio State. Michigan. 11 am. FOX. The Game.
33 minutes ago, Blotto said:

As horns fans we're no stranger to being on the wrong end of recent series history against our rival, but damn....

Series is akin to TX-OU.  Michigan had amassed a huge lead in wins over the first 75 years or so, but Ohio State slowly started winning the majority since the 60's -the series since 1960 is 33-23 (or abouts).  When I was in school at Michigan in the early 80's, it was still Michigan ~+20ish on win margin.  Even with Ohio State's dominance the past 15 years though, Michigan still has a 7 game lead in the series.

Likewise, UT had a huge lead on the meth kings (like 35-40 games) even thru the 80's, but in the last 30 years they've shaved off about 15ish games off the lead and now only trail by about 12 games.  Which sucks.

Anyway I give no shits about this game, even as a Michigan (M.A.) alum.  Ohio State will always be the lower class dirt eaters but other than that, I don't openly root for Michigan, never have.   Too damn cold to root for anyone. 

That said, I think Ohio State will win by 20+.  Michigan has a Texas-like shitty offense for a Top 15 program, they're going to get eaten alive - again.

Edited by phdhorn

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Series is akin to TX-OU.  Michigan had amassed a huge lead in wins over the first 75 years or so, but Ohio State slowly started winning the majority since the 60's -the series since 1960 is 33-23 (or abouts).  When I was in school at Michigan in the early 80's, it was still Michigan ~+20ish on win margin.  UT had a huge lead on the gomers (like 35-40 games) but in the last 30 years they've shaved off about 15ish games off the lead and now only trail by about 12 games.  Which sucks.

Anyway I give no shits about this game, even as a Michigan (M.A.) alum.  Ohio State will always be the lower class dirt eaters but other than that, I don't openly root for Michigan, never have.  Too damn cold to root for anyone.

How would you rank your experiences with College Park, Ann Arbor, and Austin?

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

How would you rank your experiences with College Park, Ann Arbor, and Austin?

College Park - my hometown, so it was like going to Super High School.  Lived at home.  At that time, UMd was where all the dumb people in the mid-Atlantic who couldn't get into Ivies went.  Lots of horrible-looking, loud New Jersey chicks.  Ugh.  But the school's gotten very good - the Bias era was a major wake-up call to the campus and the chancellor especially from about 1995 to about 2010 did a stellar job of putting Maryland on the academic map, and today it's certainly one of the best public schools on the East Coast (IMO).  My own experience was okay I guess considering my staying at home (I ordered my kids to go live on/near campus for their own schooling).  But UMd is still I guess close to my heart, like your first "done it" girl.   Also very much enjoyed watching Jerry Claiborne's offense, one of the first spread offenses in college football, air it out at half-full, laid back games.  Today I'd highly recommend it - it's gotten very good academically and attracts good students (i.e. chicks who are hot and put out).

Ann Arbor - Michigan has a massive inferiority complex about not being an Ivy.  They used to sell tees - maybe they still do - saying "Harvard of the Midwest".  Lameass.  I didn't like the atmosphere there  - tweed jacket, we're oh so intellectual.  That said, the girls were gorgeous and after study events great.  They had a very cool strip of clubs and things like that, and Ann Arbor is insanely pretty.  Just so fucking cold that you want to shoot yourself by Feb.  The years I was there it went below freezing around Thanksgiving and made it above it for maybe 10 total days before mid-March.  We had 90 inches of snow that year, and after the 12th snowstorm, it's not so cute and cozy.  You bundle up like you're climbing Everest, slip about 20 times in 9° weather on the way to class, then your mud/ice melts on your boots and gets all over your coat that you've draped over the back of your chair.  I loved the town but the academic experience was too stuffy.  Still I'd recommend it - just bring your fuckin' duffel bag of Antarctic clothing.

Texas - holy shit it was like being taken from a foster home and being plopped down into a benevolent, rich family who lived in Miami.  The first year I was there it was 65 degrees - 65! - during December finals.  Yeah the summers were hot but who cares. I also started teaching there.  In every way, shape, form Texas was the best place I've gone.  Academics were tight (getting tighter) but the school had a relaxed, casual feel.  Plus although the women were hot at Michigan, there might be 3 on a good night you'd see, while at Texas there's like 203 every freaking turn. I guess I liked it so much I settled down here.  My kid just graduated from UT and it was so life-transforming it's unreal.  My experience in Texas was partly driven by my time and age (the 80's were absolutely incredible for everything), but man it was awesome.  In later years since I've left it's gotten so freaking huge and built up I barely recognize it.  But I had such a good time I still feel pretty good about supporting the school.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

College Park - my hometown, so it was like going to Super High School.  Lived at home.  At that time, UMd was where all the dumb people in the mid-Atlantic who couldn't get into Ivies went.  Lots of horrible-looking, loud New Jersey chicks.  Ugh.  But the school's gotten very good - the Bias era was a major wake-up call to the campus and the chancellor especially from about 1995 to about 2010 did a stellar job of putting Maryland on the academic map, and today it's certainly one of the best public schools on the East Coast (IMO).  My own experience was okay I guess considering my staying at home (I ordered my kids to go live on/near campus for their own schooling).  But UMd is still I guess close to my heart, like your first "done it" girl.   Also very much enjoyed watching Jerry Claiborne's offense, one of the first spread offenses in college football, air it out at half-full, laid back games.  Today I'd highly recommend it - it's gotten very good academically and attracts good students (i.e. chicks who are hot and put out).

Ann Arbor - Michigan has a massive inferiority complex about not being an Ivy.  They used to sell tees - maybe they still do - saying "Harvard of the Midwest".  Lameass.  I didn't like the atmosphere there  - tweed jacket, we're oh so intellectual.  That said, the girls were gorgeous and after study events great.  They had a very cool strip of clubs and things like that, and Ann Arbor is insanely pretty.  Just so fucking cold that you want to shoot yourself by Feb.  The years I was there it went below freezing around Thanksgiving and made it above it for maybe 10 total days before mid-March.  We had 90 inches of snow that year, and after the 12th snowstorm, it's not so cute and cozy.  You bundle up like you're climbing Everest, slip about 20 times in 9° weather on the way to class, then your mud/ice melts on your boots and gets all over your coat that you've draped over the back of your chair.  I loved the town but the academic experience was too stuffy.  Still I'd recommend it - just bring your fuckin' duffel bag of Antarctic clothing.

Texas - holy shit it was like being taken from a foster home and being plopped down into a benevolent, rich family who lived in Miami.  The first year I was there it was 65 degrees - 65! - during December finals.  Yeah the summers were hot but who cares. I also started teaching there.  In every way, shape, form Texas was the best place I've gone.  Academics were tight (getting tighter) but the school had a relaxed, casual feel.  Plus although the women were hot at Michigan, there might be 3 on a good night you'd see, while at Texas there's like 203 every freaking turn. I guess I liked it so much I settled down here.  My kid just graduated from UT and it was so life-transforming it's unreal.  My experience in Texas was partly driven by my time and age (the 80's were absolutely incredible for everything), but man it was awesome.  In later years since I've left it's gotten so freaking huge and built up I barely recognize it.  But I had such a good time I still feel pretty good about supporting the school.

That's some good shit. I've been looking at all 3 for their History PhD programs for when I finish my MA, but I have no idea if they'll end up fitting whatever I decide to pick for my specialty if I do indeed go beyond my MA. Of course, all three seem hard as hell to get into these days too so it would be a crap shoot there too.

14 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This game is one of the most overrated things in college football.....

Hard disagree. Yeah, Michigan hasn't made it a series in a while but it's still one of the best pure hate rivalries out there. It's appointment television each year, just like the Iron Bowl. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Same as it ever was...

Ohio State is the only school with any team speed. B10 team speed, that is. So they kick the rest of the conferences collective asses and then get exposed by a Southern team with overall speed and a roster full of skill position players in post-season.

41 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This is a fucking horrible take. This game is insane. Very close to tx ou on the fun scale. Much louder. Today will be a top 10 matchup winner goes to the playoffs. 

I get it the Longhorns are dogshit but stop projecting your trash onto how badass this is. There will be 115k in the stadium today and no empty SEZ. The student section is 3/4 full rocking already 55 minutes till kick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

It's gonna be a gangbang.  Couchburners win by 20.

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Agreed.  Michigan is a fraud.  Ohio St by at least 21.

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Snow will hold of until the game is almost over, boo. But yea OSU by 24 or so. 

It'll be close in the first half like it was in 2019, but by half way through the 3rd quarter the Buckeyes will flex their arm and start to pull away. 

35 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Hard disagree. Yeah, Michigan hasn't made it a series in a while but it's still one of the best pure hate rivalries out there. It's appointment television each year, just like the Iron Bowl. 

Correct answer. 

This is a banner day of college football watching. Banner. 

Tailgated and went to a game in "The Big House" with my Michigan buddies -- they fuckin' know how to drink up there and the tailgate food was awesome !!!

Would love to go to this rivalry game in person -- Michigan people are for the most part good people... 

GO FUCKIN' BLUE !!!

hCtONfdcoAxg&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Drinking for this game might be the most I've seen for a college game on average - more obvious drunks per section than UT-OU.  Why?  It's cold, shitty, and gray in November.  Drink away.  People repeatedly falling off their bleachers into the aisles, etc.  Also, never see so many people actually cry/more devastated after their team loses this one in a rivalry.

When Michigan comes out with that fight song, it's second only to Notre Dame to grab at your emotions (I went to ND/Mich and when you hear the ND fight song live, you tear up, even if it's the other team - holy shit you feel like you want to rescue a boatload of refugees or something).  Anyway, Mich fight song is only 2nd to that one IMO of stirring you up.  

The rivalry is among the best 3 in football; even if the game itself is not right now, at least in the 21st Century.  When I went there, Michigan was fully expected to win... nowadays I wonder what it's like when you know deep down you're likely gonna get rolled - yet again - as a Michigan fan.  God it must cause massive anxiety nowadays. 

But whatever.. I don't see how they stop OSU which has the best air game in CFB right now.  My god all of those receivers are all-pros.

Oh - and the weather up there today will reach a high of 30°.  And snow.  It snowed for the games I attended.  Thank God I had a seat in the NE End Zone curve... the north wind blowing in must have been horrible to the people sitting on the south half.

30 frickin' degrees.  Drink up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a fucking horrible take. This game is insane. Very close to tx ou on the fun scale. Much louder. Today will be a top 10 matchup winner goes to the playoffs. 
I get it the Longhorns are dogshit but stop projecting your trash onto how badass this is. There will be 115k in the stadium today and no empty SEZ. The student section is 3/4 full rocking already 55 minutes till kick. 

Ok.

24 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Go Blue!  I have to go to Columbus a few times a year for work.  Their fanbase is among the worst I've experienced.

Facts! Fuck Columbus. I visited once and have no intention of returning. Blue Jackets fans are shitty as well. Columbus Crew SC fans are okay though.