JJ Watt to pay for funerals of all Santa Fe HS shooting victims- also a thread about KD

Goo Punch

He’s like the KD of the NFL- top 5 player, top 5 person. 

And for those who don’t know, besides being the second best basketball player in the world, KD has pumped millions of dollars into the DC area, Oklahoma City, and UT. Nobody in the NBA gives back like he does. These guys are two really special athletes and people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

And for those who don’t know, besides being the second best basketball player in the world, KD has pumped millions of dollars into the DC area, Oklahoma City, and UT. Nobody in the NBA gives back like he does. These guys are two really special athletes and people.

This thread isn't about KD, numbnuts.  

Props to JJ, guy just continues to amaze. 

JJ Watt is a pretty awesome dude. I loved when the Texans were on Hard Knocks and they would go out of their way to show JJ. While everyone else is finishing up....JJ watt is only getting started. Then cut away to him catching passes with a sprinkler in the foreground. 

And I'm also confused as to how this topic relates to KD. I don't remember JJ ever choking to an all time great team in the playoffs then joining up with them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

JJ Watt isn't out there trying to join the Eagles 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

JJ Watt is a pretty awesome dude. I loved when the Texans were on Hard Knocks and they would go out of their way to show JJ. While everyone else is finishing up....JJ watt is only getting started. Then cut away to him catching passes with a sprinkler in the foreground. 
And I'm also confused as to how this topic relates to KD. I don't remember JJ ever choking to an all time great team in the playoffs then joining up with them. 

Has JJ ever gotten to play in the playoffs? Because he’s gonna be one of those once in a lifetime talents that is wasted on shit teams.

4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Has JJ ever gotten to play in the playoffs? Because he’s gonna be one of those once in a lifetime talents that is wasted on shit teams.

He's played in one although Texans have gotten there twice in his tenure.....

Good on Watt.  Seems like a really solid dude and hope that guy never has to pay for a drink in Houston.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

He's played in one although Texans have gotten there twice in his tenure.....
Good on Watt.  Seems like a really solid dude and hope that guy never has to pay for a drink in Houston.

Stick to the Spurs, Patrick. The Texans have played in 7 playoff games in 4 different years since Watt got drafted.

15 hours ago, txhorns said:

Damn that guy just gets better and better with every article I read about him.

He is the epitome of what a real class citizen should strive to be... Far past just a sports role model, but an outstanding human that cares about issues of society...

17 hours ago, In10se said:
How about making a KD thread where you document the exact instances instances where he does this. Not saying I don't believe you but you're definitely extremely biased. 

Not sure how someone can be “biased” to the point of making something like this up, but here you go:

1b4c4101f6e6b0fe3df5133ab84a06dc.jpg

fd36085bdaccf2dfe1e18900f6304296.jpg

5ce0fc774ed0a26f6f23f353a6bed772.jpg

So to everyone else out there wondering why KD was brought up, first go ahead and remember where you are right now, and then feel free to name another athlete in any sport who’s a perennial MVP candidate type player who gives back to his community as much as these two. I’ll wait.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Also, notice the date on that $57,000 donation to homeless kids in OKC- December of 2016. Not only was KD playing for Golden State at that time, but OKC fans, management, and even some of his former teammates were all shitting on him for leaving OKC, burning his jersey and shit. Meanwhile KD was giving tens of thousands to homeless kids in OKC. And he’s been doing all of this with little to no fanfare. Great guy, great representive, world class player. That describes KD and JJ.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

How many have done it without letting the world know they did it?  I dont have a problem either way, because people needed help regardless. It's just difficult to believe there are only 2 big philanthropists in the world of sports. 

Edited by slorch

42 minutes ago, slorch said:

How many have done it without letting the world know they did it?  I dont have a problem either way, because people needed help regardless. It's just difficult to believe there are only 2 big philanthropists in the world of sports. 

Were talking exclusively about guys at the very top of their sport, like top 1%. 

I understand that.

My point is that there are some Earnhardt Sr's out there who help people too and insist that everyone keeps their yappers shut about it.  The media isn't notified ahead of time, etc, etc.

Again, that doesn't change the ultimate result, which is people getting help.  I just don't believe there are just 2 guys like that out of the mega stars of today.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I’ve been biting my lip about this all weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I understand that.

My point is that there are some Earnhardt Sr's out there who help people too and insist that everyone keeps their yappers shut about it.  The media isn't notified ahead of time, etc, etc.

Again, that doesn't change the ultimate result, which is people getting help.  I just don't believe there are just 2 guys like that out of the mega stars of today.

But....how else would they get all the praise and credit. That’s why people do nice things, right?

I keed I keed. Good on you KD. I mean JJ

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

I’ve been biting my lip about this all weekend. 

We seem to be looking ya the same thing through different lenses. I started out comparing the two for two main reasons.

1)The magnitude of their stardom. Both guys are/have been top 5-ish players in their respective sports for years. This very star power is the reason that we know about KD and JJ’s philanthropy so well- neither of them gets on Instagram and announces their donations to the world, it simply gets widely reported because of their stardom. Yet you can’t say the same of LeBron, or Tom Brady, or Mike Trout, can you?

2)The magnitude of their philanthropy. Similar to Jon Cena with the Make A Wish Foundation, the magnitude of what they give is also of the highest degree. KD has donated millions upon millions to the cities he’s called home, and JJ Watt is like a never-stopping philanthropy machine. There ain’t a whole lot of athletes out here donating $10 million to anything, is there? Nope.

So yeah, I’d say that Cena, KD, and JJ all really stand out as mega-huge athletes with amazing track records of philanthropy. Enough to separate themselves from the pack. 

I think there's value in having some celebrities go public about their contributions. For better or for worse, average Joes look up to these athletes, actors, etc. and are inspired to be generous themselves. Exhibit A is JJ Watt's post-Harvey fundraiser.