JJ Watt to pay for funerals of all Santa Fe HS shooting victims- also a thread about KD

Goo Punch

18 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I don’t get the reference. Can someone explain. Trying to tie this to VY in some way?

It's a reference to Kevin Durant because certain people on this thread are trying to make it about him for some reason.

• Like 1

With regard to foundations, charitable causes and the like, it comes down to one question ...

Is it the Power of the Message ... or the Image of the Messenger?

The Power of the Message?  Or, the Image of the Messenger?

Nowhere is this more apparent than the V Foundation for Cancer Research.  Jim Valvano became the face of strength, courage and hope in March of 1993 when in a 9 minute speech, he turned an industry upside down.  He died 6 weeks later.  But to date, the V Foundation has awarded over $200 million in cancer research grants.

With most "celebrities" who give... Power of the Message?  Or the Image of the Messenger?

Valvano’s commitment is pretty undeniable, to the point of martyrdom. His courage inspired multiple generations.

It’s not like he created an infomercial to start things out though.  It grew organically.  The support of Watt around the Harvey relief was similar, even if it was a smaller scale.

Like I said initially, I appreciate folks using their celebrity to help righteous causes.  My point was that there are more than just the 2 guys the OP was discussing who help society.  Some go the public route.  Some choose not to.

Guest Lobo

I'm sure these two aren't getting the accolades they deserve because they aren't Dallas Cowboys and as we know, most Texas high school football players who know work in middle management could have been Dallas Cowboys if only coach had put 'em in more often.

47 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Watt and Mattress Mac: two Houstonians who never fail to ensure that you know about every single one of their good deeds. 

Now that you’ve been dumb, do the other thing Huskers do well... tuck your tail between your legs and run away crying, blaming everyone but yourself.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 2:53 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Has JJ ever gotten to play in the playoffs? Because he’s gonna be one of those once in a lifetime talents that is wasted on shit teams.

He kinda sorta did this in one of his playoff games:

On 5/20/2018 at 10:37 AM, Machinator said:

I think there's value in having some celebrities go public about their contributions. For better or for worse, average Joes look up to these athletes, actors, etc. and are inspired to be generous themselves. Exhibit A is JJ Watt's post-Harvey fundraiser.

I was going to say ..... I think this plus everything jj has done is amazing but i wish he could have done it quietly.....

But thats a great point and would also like to add paraphrasing here but when bill gates  was "confronted" with the fact that he was the most charitable person he said he only gave money the ones that give time do way more than him.

I think we can all agree that jj would trade everything he has ever got not to be in the news for this 

Shaq stepping up in another incident (happened just after Santa Fe) - paying for the funeral of a woman killed in a graduation shooting incident.  Always loved the guy, it's not hard to.

https://www.statesman.com/news/national/shaquille-neal-pays-for-funeral-woman-killed-outside-high-school-graduation-sheriff-says/QcTm3VGqRi6wXB2LN7ZuhI/

Not related to santa fe, but jj related.

My best friend is coach at our old jr high we went to. He applied for a grant through JJs foundation for new jerseys. He received it and got the unis. About 2 weeks ago they came to film a small thing about the jerseys, and JJ showed up (only principal knew) and shot around with the kids for about an hour. They posted all of it a couple days ago on the players tribune

www.theplayerstribune.com