Chris Samuels has passed away

Mitch Cumsteen

After graduating from Judson in the mid-1980s, Samuels accepted a scholarship to play football at UT, where he was joined by fellow San Antonio high school stars Johnny Walker and twin brothers Keith Cash and Kerry Cash from 1987-90. Samuels played in 43 games for the Longhorns, rushing for more than 1,000 yards.

hell of a group, all from SA. RiP, may your demons finally lay to rest 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I didn't see anything posted about this but this is terrible news. RIP.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/longhorns/article/Former-Texas-teammates-stunned-by-Chris-16655740.php

Tom Orsborn, Staff writer.  Nov. 27, 2021 4:40 p.m.

Former Texas teammates stunned by Chris Samuels’ death at 52

Chris Samuels (23), a former Judson High School star, played running back for Texas from 1987-90.

600x0.jpg

Former Judson and Texas running back Chris Samuels was found dead Friday at his home in a neighborhood near Alamo Heights.

Samuels was 52.

Officers investigated it as a sudden death after they were called to 421 Rittiman Rd. just after 6 a.m., according to a San Antonio Police report. When they arrived, police found Samuels on the floor in a bathroom with an apparent gunshot wound to his chest.

A woman inside the home told police she heard one shot before entering the bathroom and finding Samuels on the floor.

EMS declared Samuels dead at 6:37 a.m., according to the police report. As of late Saturday afternoon, the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s office had not issued a ruling on Samuel’s death.

An employee at the medical examiner’s office said it could not release any information regarding the death.

After graduating from Judson in the mid-1980s, Samuels accepted a scholarship to play football at UT, where he was joined by fellow San Antonio high school stars Johnny Walker and twin brothers Keith Cash and Kerry Cash from 1987-90. Samuels played in 43 games for the Longhorns, rushing for more than 1,000 yards.

The San Diego Chargers selected Samuels in the 12th round of the NFL draft 1991. He appeared in three games that season before his football career came to an end.

After his brief stint in the NFL, he attended the Texas Tech University Health Science Center in Midland, where he graduated from with a physician assistant license in 2009. Most recently, Samuels was working at a local hospital, Walker said.

Walker said news of Samuels’ death spread quickly Friday morning among stunned former teammates who considered him “like a brother.”

“If there was a problem in his life, you never would have known it,” Walker said. “That’s the kind of personality he had. He loved life.”

WOW...  RIP 🙏🙏🙏 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

How many have there been? I only remember hearing about one guy doing it that way. Most people despondent enough to kill themselves aren't going to care about the future exploration of CTE research. Very unusual, just hope the PD tested both their hands for GSR and did everything properly to eliminate her as a suspect

16 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Fuck your fantasy team

Yeah, they say the same thing. Not doing too well this year. 

I admit I shouldn't have said it, but it was the truth. I own up to it so I left it for anyone to neg me for my insensitivity to a man who lost his life. My apologies to anyone I've offended. 

• Like 1

I watched them in hs, that offense was deadly 

Wilber Odom was the QB and went to Michigan where I believe he fucked around and got booted off the team. That Holmes hoops team was a monster too. I think East Central took them out in the regionals in a high-scoring, wild-ass game.

Anyway, sad news about Samuels. RIP.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Wilber Odom was the QB and went to Michigan where I believe he fucked around and got booted off the team. That Holmes hoops team was a monster too. I think East Central took them out in the regionals in a high-scoring, wild-ass game.

Anyway, sad news about Samuels. RIP.

Saw samuels play against Victoria high on a playoff game. Judson was a machine back then. VHS was no match

sa Holmes played my cousins hs team way back when, I think the winner went to state semis. Tough game but Holmes was too much for the coyotes that night 

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

That east central team was very good. They knocked out a very good Victoria high team years later, very high scoring game 

East Central had the best HS team I ever saw. Possibly the best Texas has ever seen. 35-0 averaged over 100 points a game with 8 minute quarters and no shot clock. Stanley Bonewitz looked like an accountant but was a monster. 

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

East Central had the best HS team I ever saw. Possibly the best Texas has ever seen. 35-0 averaged over 100 points a game with 8 minute quarters and no shot clock. Stanley Bonewitz looked like an accountant but was a monster. 

no three point line either ? 

that playoff game vs Victoria high was crazy. 128 to 124 or something like that. VHS had a very good team 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

no three point line either ? 

that playoff game vs Victoria high was crazy. 128 to 124 or something like that. VHS had a very good team 

The one I was talking about was the 1995 team so definitely a 3 pt line. I was too young to see the 80s teams and remember them. That 1995 team would press and run and shoot the lights out with Bonewitz orchestrating the show at point. There was a story of opposing fans giving their own team a standing ovation in the rare event they held that East Central team under 100 pts.