Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

Wow.  He actually wasn't lying when he said he wouldn't be the next coach of LSU last night, LOL.

I think this will be a good move for him.  Pac-12 is a shitty conference whose best team didn't even bother to show up last week and got fucking steamrolled by Utah.  If Riley gets most of the SoCal talent to stay at home and implements his offense at USC, they could become a real juggernaut in that conference in a few years.  They will probably need to schedule some SEC teams to bolster SOS for the CFP, though.

• Haha 2

Just looking at his wiki page. Pretty amazing story, honestly. Goes from a walk-on at Tech (after being a QB at a tiny West Texas high school) to making likely $10 million as a coach at one of the most historic programs in the nation. 

Great coach, and also got lucky being at Tech when Leach was there and falling into that coveted coaching tree. Seriously, he's done more by 38 than most coaches do their entire careers.

Who’s crying?  Fans were ok w him leaving even before you guys worked his offense.  

You caught me. I really want to read vitriol about today’s move and then transition into the tears from last night. Something tells me if I don’t enjoy reading officiating threads, I may be disappointed in my 2nd endeavor. Still, where does one go for such entertainment?

I'm sure he asked for like 20 billion dollars so that it wouldn't look like he was just bailing (was he smartly is), but more like it's on ou.

Media etc, desperately want SC or a west coast school in the playoffs to keep the interest up, and they'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt with rankings etc. Plus he has the mammoth media market of L.A. Riley just traded in a ball-busting path for screwdrivers on the beach. 

Granted, I know how hard it must be to leave Norman... HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Edited by phdhorn

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yeah…that sounds off. 

Yeah, I have family/friends/co-workers who went to OU, and while none of them are BMDs, none of them have been too thrilled with Riley.

Me pointing out last night on FB that Okie State was liable to win a CFP game before OU does drew some angry responses, not aimed at me, but at Riley.

And if you were an OU BMD, watching OU getting worse during Riley's tenure...this was an easy out for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

You caught me. I really want to read vitriol about today’s move and then transition into the tears from last night. Something tells me if I don’t enjoy reading officiating threads, I may be disappointed in my 2nd endeavor. Still, where does one go for such entertainment?

Dirtburglars? Spoiler:  Most are content if not downright happy.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Much better move for Lincoln. Going to LSU would have been extremely stupid and I never believed it. Going to SC came out of left field. Bad for Texas in that OU isn’t slowing down, and Lincoln will recruit Texans out west - hard. 

I dunno, I think the notion of filling your roster with Texas talent isn't the bonus it was 10-20 years ago.

Working primarily out of Cali and cherry-picking Texas and elsewhere is probably a better deal than taking Texas second-tier blue chips.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This second tweet is exactly what I've been saying. They've been getting steadily worse. He is not an elite championship coach, but he is certainly a very good one. Oklahoma could do worse, certainly, but they could also do better. Oklahoma has been getting steadily worse under him even while the other supposed-to-be elite program has been total crap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, orangebird said:

I think this will be a good move for him.  Pac-12 is a shitty conference whose best team didn't even bother to show up last week and got fucking steamrolled by Utah.  If Riley gets most of the SoCal talent to stay at home and implements his offense at USC, they could become a real juggernaut in that conference in a few years.  They will probably need to schedule some SEC teams to bolster SOS for the CFP, though.

He was handed a solid team by Stoops, and then things got worse.  Beating up on sisters-of-the-poor does you no good if you embarrass yourself nationally.

So now he's going to be handed a shit-show team in a shit-show conference and somehow magically do better?

The only reason this is a good move for him is that:

A) He got a shitload of money out of USC

B) He got that money before he really exposed himself as a mediocre coach

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mac8111 said:

Not able to as in they weren’t given the chance to counter

I'm sure the convo went something like this:

Oklahoma AD:  "Hey Mr. Big Cigar, USC is offering Coach Riley a bajillion dollars to coach there, do you want to counter?"

Oklahoma Big Cigar:  "LOL Nope"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think he'll fail there, tbh. His ou teams have been getting worse, and I don't believe he'll do anything significant. He's a very flawed coach. Good recruiter, but his system has been pretty much figured out. 

Huck post yesterday and this post sum it up.  He’s soft.  

• Hook 'Em 2