Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

I mean it makes sense. USC is a blue blood and that conference can be dominated right off the bat. Still shocking. My guess is he doesn’t like the SEC, and that’s fair. I don’t like him but I do t see this as “running away” from the SEC. Why go through that if you can make just as much money and put together just as good a team in SoCal?

Fans will spin it as running away and ESPN will feed it. But, I mean, how many of us would not take a massive pay increase, easier job, and better location? To win a NC he’s still going to have to go through the SEC (or a team that has) in the playoff system.
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Yeah, that's close, but I don't consider FL a helmet school, but in the next tier down.  In my world there are 7 true helmet schools-TX, OU, USC, mich, ND, USC, bama. Those should all be destination jobs, though we are doing our best to challenge that notion.

Interesting, you don’t think Ohio St is a helmet school?   I mean fuck them and all, but they are every bit a blue blood program.  

7 minutes ago, quigley said:

Yes, terrible offense. Could only win 10 games. Do. Not. Want.

Certainly there are other people here calling him mediocre and implying his offense is terrible, but I'm not. While this board is full of people so ecstatic that this elite unbeatable wizard offensive genius who put up an average of 19.2 offensive points per game against decent defenses will be leaving our rival, a realistic review shows that Oklahoma could actually do better in the end.

Acting like your main rival coach who just left isn't as good as most people think isn't a homer viewpoint. It's the exact opposite.

Edited by Huckleberry

33 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Yeah, that's close, but I don't consider FL a helmet school, but in the next tier down.  In my world there are 7 true helmet schools-TX, OU, USC, mich, ND, USC, bama. Those should all be destination jobs, though we are doing our best to challenge that notion.

You can’t leave Ohio State off that list….

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I mean it makes sense. USC is a blue blood and that conference can be dominated right off the bat. Still shocking. My guess is he doesn’t like the SEC, and that’s fair. I don’t like him but I do t see this as “running away” from the SEC. Why go through that if you can make just as much money and put together just as good a team in SoCal?

Congrats on the win yesterday, firstly.

He's 38 and has lived in the CST for most of his life. I haven't lived in OK since the 80s. May he and his wife did just want to get out of OK? He'll go through a 2-3 rebuilding years, but he'll be able to build a monster there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Even if the “Riley is good but not great” angle is correct, that is enough to win at USC given their competition out west (or OU, as evidenced by his performance).

O, Jumbo, and Mack Brown all won NC’s essentially because they stockpiled talent from recruiting hotbeds. Mack should have one, maybe two more. Riley may not be a Saban or a Meyer but he’s at least on the level of those guys, if not better.

tOSU belongs. By every single metric Gator has had more sustained success than Texas, Michigan, and Notre Dame over the past 40 years. It’s a helmet school if the word means anything. 

Disagree. You can’t “become” a blue blood. You can be the next best thing, which is LSU, Oregon, UF, UGA. That’s pretty good company. Sorry if that hurts any Gator fans feelings, but it’s a fact.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Certainly there are other people here calling him mediocre and implying his offense is terrible, but I'm not. While this board is full of people so ecstatic that this elite unbeatable wizard offensive genius who put up an average of 19.2 offensive points per game against decent defenses will be leaving our rival, a realistic review shows that Oklahoma could actually do better in the end.
Acting like your main rival coach who just left isn't as good as most people think isn't a homer viewpoint. It's the exact opposite.

They could do better. I’m sure they’ll give Urban a call. Maybe they go for Mark Stoops and he’s a home run. But they could also downgrade. That wasn’t on the table in anyone’s mind six hours ago and it creates excitement.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

They could do better. I’m sure they’ll give Urban a call. Maybe they go for Mark Stoops and he’s a home run. But they could also downgrade. That wasn’t on the table in anyone’s mind six hours ago and it creates excitement.

Yes, they could absolutely downgrade. It's possible but it's also unlikely it will be very much if at all because their entire institution and athletic department is run intelligently right now when it comes to fielding a good football team.

So Riley will be joining another Mike Leach disciple, USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell.  The Pirate must be smiling while the Pac-12 coaches that will be facing the Trojans in the next few years will be trying to "Figure Out" this scheme that generates points in bunches.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I don’t think it’s a front. That fan base has expectations that are beyond yours and my comprehension.

This.  And at some point OU will crash and burn badly (again).  But I’m ok tuning those years out.  I’m not some hardcore lunatic or I wouldn’t be so happy hanging out w you assholes and all your hot takes about how much OU sucks.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, they could absolutely downgrade. It's possible but it's also unlikely it will be very much if at all because their entire institution and athletic department is run intelligently right now when it comes to fielding a good football team.

Joe Castiglione is amazing.  If he hires Herman I’d hold my nose and give it a chance.  

13 minutes ago, quigley said:

Nothing against you, but that may be the final straw for my OU fandom. Kelly's sideline behavior portends really poor behavior behind closed doors.

Well we know it has to be something worse than caving a woman’s face in to bother OU fans. I have a feeling you’ll find a way

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, quigley said:

Nothing against you, but that may be the final straw for my OU fandom. Kelly's sideline behavior portends really poor behavior behind closed doors.

Yeah, he might corrupt all those good, church-going young men y'all have recruited since, *checks notes*, forever.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno, I think the notion of filling your roster with Texas talent isn't the bonus it was 10-20 years ago.

Working primarily out of Cali and cherry-picking Texas and elsewhere is probably a better deal than taking Texas second-tier blue chips.

All due respect, that’s horse shit. We are the league leaders in busted evals. College football and pro football is littered with Texans. They just don’t play for the Horns. 

Lincoln is a Texan and has major roots. It may be more of a cherry pick a la Bama and Ohio St, but he won’t be hitting up our 2nd tier blue chips. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Oklahoma has targeted Kliff Kingsbury for its head-coaching vacancy.

Lincoln Riley has left the Sooners to take the USC job. As Schefter notes, Kingsbury is under contract in Arizona for just one more season after this one. It's unclear what Kingsbury's thoughts are, but it's tough to imagine him leaving the NFL for the Oklahoma gig. Wilder things have happened, though. The Cardinals are on their bye week at 9-2 and in first place in the NFC West. They'd be the No. 1 seed in the NFC if the playoffs started today.

58 minutes ago, pch said:

So Riley will be joining another Mike Leach disciple, USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell.  The Pirate must be smiling while the Pac-12 coaches that will be facing the Trojans in the next few years will be trying to "Figure Out" this scheme that generates points in bunches.

Graham Harrell to OU HC?  J/K sorta.

12 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Oklahoma has targeted Kliff Kingsbury for its head-coaching vacancy.

Lincoln Riley has left the Sooners to take the USC job. As Schefter notes, Kingsbury is under contract in Arizona for just one more season after this one. It's unclear what Kingsbury's thoughts are, but it's tough to imagine him leaving the NFL for the Oklahoma gig. Wilder things have happened, though. The Cardinals are on their bye week at 9-2 and in first place in the NFC West. They'd be the No. 1 seed in the NFC if the playoffs started today.

The only one targeting Kliff for the OU job is Kliff’s agent who is trying to get him a new extension in Arizona.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3