2022 Off-Season Thread: No Kool-Aid, Just Flavor-Aid

BurntOrange&White

Wednesday Update: Both proposals have been approved.

Tuesday

NCAA Football Oversight Committee recommends two changes to spring practices

The proposals, which would both further limit tackling during the spring session, could be approved Wednesday and would go into effect immediately.

ZACH BARNETT   JAN 18, 2022

The NCAA on Tuesday announced two changes to spring practice regulations recommended by the Football Oversight Committee.

One proposal would limit full contact to no more than 75 minutes of a non-scrimmage practice.

The second proposal would ban full contact from occurring on two consecutive spring days.

The proposals are not tied to each other. One or the other could pass, or both, or neither.

The recommendations must be approved by the Division I Council, which meets Wednesday at the NCAA Convention in Indianapolis. 

The changes were suggested by the Playing and Practice Season Subcommittee. The FOC unanimously supported pushing the recommendations for approval by the D-I Council.

If approved, the changes would go into effect during the 2022 spring football session.

As a reminder, spring practices can occur over a 34-day period, with no more than 20 hours of team activities per week. Teams may practice 15 times over those 34 days; of those 15, 12 may involve contact; of those 12, eight may involve tackling; and of those eight, three may involve 11-on-11 scrimmages. 

Wednesday Update: Both proposals have been approved.
Tuesday
NCAA Football Oversight Committee recommends two changes to spring practices
The proposals, which would both further limit tackling during the spring session, could be approved Wednesday and would go into effect immediately.
ZACH BARNETT   JAN 18, 2022
The NCAA on Tuesday announced two changes to spring practice regulations recommended by the Football Oversight Committee.
One proposal would limit full contact to no more than 75 minutes of a non-scrimmage practice.
The second proposal would ban full contact from occurring on two consecutive spring days.
The proposals are not tied to each other. One or the other could pass, or both, or neither.
The recommendations must be approved by the Division I Council, which meets Wednesday at the NCAA Convention in Indianapolis. 
The changes were suggested by the Playing and Practice Season Subcommittee. The FOC unanimously supported pushing the recommendations for approval by the D-I Council.
If approved, the changes would go into effect during the 2022 spring football session.
As a reminder, spring practices can occur over a 34-day period, with no more than 20 hours of team activities per week. Teams may practice 15 times over those 34 days; of those 15, 12 may involve contact; of those 12, eight may involve tackling; and of those eight, three may involve 11-on-11 scrimmages. 

My sense is that this will further the divide between the dauntless and the rule followers. Unless the NCAA has a plan to uniformly enforce rules, they should consider the unintended consequences of rule changes.

CSB - I took a tour of the Ohio St football stadium (kind of a dump). Their band facility was also a dump, but I noticed they gave band members 24-hour access to practice. I can only imagine the red-asses practicing at all hours until their lips bled, so they’d get the privilege of dotting the i.

10 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Since it’s off-season related, does anyone have this?

Cliff notes are:

• Bush to ILB
  • Collins back to DT
  • Cook to safety
  • Jerrin Thompson to nickel but that spot will go to Brini if he chooses Texas. Also mentioned Thompson taking on a leadership role. 
  • Leaders so far in workouts are Majors, Ojomo, Roschon and Coburn
  • Their sources think Watts is going to be a stud 
  • Terrance Brooks is passing the eye test
  • Ewers is just going about his business right now. On the quiet side but wants to earn respect. Mentioned that Card has been more vocal than last offseason.
  • Two other early enrollees who were singled out were Guilbeau and Hutson
  • Bledsoe is likely to start his career at Jack
Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

• Fuckin' Coburn needs a fire lit under his ass -- not much of a leader last year...
  • Not sure what to think of a guy (Thompson) taking on a leadership role that might not start if Brini comes to Texas
  • PK has to develop more accountability and leadership on defense...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I have a feeling this will be a more enjoyable QB competition to follow since there won’t be any helicopter dads involved or Chip Brown/Anwar induced spin.

Card only has about 10 quarters of football under his belt and should hopefully be better prepared to just cut it loose and play more freely having been through this entire process last year. 

And Ewers is Ewers. If everything clicks he should run away with it and I’m hoping his time at Ohio State and being in meetings, film room, etc means he won’t miss a beat from barely playing football in 2 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

And Ewers is Ewers. If everything clicks he should run away with it and I’m hoping his time at Ohio State and being in meetings, film room, etc means he won’t miss a beat from barely playing football in 2 years.

Ewers last started in FB games in December 2020, plus practiced at ohio state during the fall of 2021 so he hasn't actually missed 2 years of football right ??

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Ewers last started in FB games in December 2020, plus practiced at ohio state during the fall of 2021 so he hasn't actually missed 2 years of football right ??

With the first game being September of 2022 it would be almost 2 full years since he's played in a competitive game.

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Fuckin' Coburn needs a fire lit under his ass -- not much of a leader last year...
  • Not sure what to think of a guy (Thompson) taking on a leadership role that might not start if Brini comes to Texas

Thompson probably moves back to safety if Brini comes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

With the first game being September of 2022 it would be almost 2 full years since he's played in a competitive game.

Starting a game and missing football set very different. He practiced at tOSU and he’ll be getting full time reps all spring and summer, so he won’t be anywhere near 2 full years without football.

Based on your logic, any guy who rides the bench for two years in college then starts has gone two years without football, which isn’t something anyone would ever say. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, but it's also kinda like Ewers just redshirted one year in college to me... practicing and working out at ohio state hopefully means this spring goes easier for him at Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Thompson probably moves back to safety if Brini comes. 

What are your thoughts (and anyone else on Surly) on how/where Jerrin Thompson fits at Texas??

From my observations last year, he seemed to be out of postion often and a terrible tackler at safety... granted he is young.

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

CDC needs to solve this parking shit for athletes, but here's an example of terrible leadership by Coburn...

Not sure what to think of a guy (Thompson) taking on a leadership role that might not start if Brini comes to Texas

Leadership comes in different ways. And Roschon didn’t start a whole lot last year so you already have an example. Even if he doesn’t start, he’ll see the field.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:48 PM, LTtxfan said:

So, basically there's no change for the defense.

• Haha 1

#2 isnt a bad thing at all. One getting the start doesnt mean the other rides the pine all season. (Assuming the Brini talk is more than a puff of smoke)

If Ewers is what people think he is the 2 years won't mean much.  guys sit for 2 many times, its nothing really different from that.  assuming he wins the job, he'll probably get bama'd in our second game but that won't be because he hasn't started a football game.  after 4 games or so, we'll know what we have with him v. Card.

Fun for discussion purposes, Horns247 post today by "Cedricpitts2" 

Been awhile since I decided to post anything, so let’s go!

So I went to 4 of the 5 games we lost in a row and decided to sit back and see what Sark was gonna do; the fact that the team played well enough to get leads on top teams let’s me know that Sark was on the right path, just needed some different ingredients. Thus, here we are now!

Mr. Ewers…………… the opportunities will be vast if he is who everybody believes he is. His floor should be a “healthy” Casey. If we get that type of play we will overachieve next year. Speaking of Casey “Country Mile” Thompson, great guy and he expected some type of loyalty from what he did when he was healthy, but his ceiling was always going to limit him, and Sark made the right choice, go find “THE GUY!” Card on the other hand, woooooooo, I don’t see how it works out for him at Texas. He had the benefit of the doubt last year because he had the best “arm” on the team, and that’s it! Well……he probably now has the third best arm on the team, both Quinn and Maalik have better arm talent, and neither one of them have shown they will rattle on the college level like Card did. It’s gonna be a tough road for Card.

Underrated moves:

-Getting Bledsoe in as an EE

-Getting LTG committed and EE

Those two players coming in early is going to do wonders for their careers and will help Texas in 2022 one way or another.

Who I wished was an EE:

- Banks

- Campbell

These are the two guys I wished would have been EE’s, one will most likely start early in their career, but both will play. If they would have been EE’s our OL could have been nasty by game 1. If I would’ve added a third, it would have been Williams.

Defense:

I’m on the side of the argument that PK didn’t forget how to coach. I’ve watched every game multiple times and I saw Pk’s scheme stymie offenses in the half only to be hashed in the second half. That was a personnel problem. And I can sum this up with what I called the “triangle of disaster,” Bush, Brockenmeyer, and Ovie. Those three player together caused leaks in the ship when they were on the field together. Bush…….not good enough, Brockenmeyer…….not athletic enough………..Ovie…….toooooo Over zealous on the backside. I mean those 3 players cost Texas on defense every week.

Fast forward to 2022, gone is Bush, insert Mathis, Abiara (more on him in a second), and Finley. Brockenmeyer will be replaced by Ford or someone else, and Ovie will be pushed to play sound defense or sit from the sideline and watch. These 3 upgrades will be massive in the personnel department.

Mr. Abiara………am I crazy or is this the guy (jack) of the future. The one plus about Mathis not coming in the spring was that Abiara will get a chance to develop. My dream scenario is that Abiara is the best jack on campus this spring, Mathis comes in and becomes the starter with Abiara as the backup, and that frees up Finkley to adequately pressure Ovie.

Positions and movement:

Cook to Safety…..Good

Collins to DT……Great, please leave him there!

Watts to BCB……… one of the keys to unlocking PK’s defense

Hopefully Brini to star……. None of the other candidates are ready for that

C. Jones back to RT…….maybe? Hopefully? Please?

C. Hayden should be a starting guard… very big on him this season.

Finally….. they have to give the Angilau to center a go during the spring. Majors is a good kid, but unless he get more functional strength you can not continue to play him. He gets his **** whooped to much in the run game.

Well… that’s all folks!

Hook’em

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fun for discussion purposes, Horns247 post today by "Cedricpitts2" 
Been awhile since I decided to post anything, so let’s go!
So I went to 4 of the 5 games we lost in a row and decided to sit back and see what Sark was gonna do; the fact that the team played well enough to get leads on top teams let’s me know that Sark was on the right path, just needed some different ingredients. Thus, here we are now!
Mr. Ewers…………… the opportunities will be vast if he is who everybody believes he is. His floor should be a “healthy” Casey. If we get that type of play we will overachieve next year. Speaking of Casey “Country Mile” Thompson, great guy and he expected some type of loyalty from what he did when he was healthy, but his ceiling was always going to limit him, and Sark made the right choice, go find “THE GUY!” Card on the other hand, woooooooo, I don’t see how it works out for him at Texas. He had the benefit of the doubt last year because he had the best “arm” on the team, and that’s it! Well……he probably now has the third best arm on the team, both Quinn and Maalik have better arm talent, and neither one of them have shown they will rattle on the college level like Card did. It’s gonna be a tough road for Card.
Underrated moves:
-Getting Bledsoe in as an EE
-Getting LTG committed and EE
Those two players coming in early is going to do wonders for their careers and will help Texas in 2022 one way or another.
Who I wished was an EE:
- Banks
- Campbell
These are the two guys I wished would have been EE’s, one will most likely start early in their career, but both will play. If they would have been EE’s our OL could have been nasty by game 1. If I would’ve added a third, it would have been Williams.
Defense:
I’m on the side of the argument that PK didn’t forget how to coach. I’ve watched every game multiple times and I saw Pk’s scheme stymie offenses in the half only to be hashed in the second half. That was a personnel problem. And I can sum this up with what I called the “triangle of disaster,” Bush, Brockenmeyer, and Ovie. Those three player together caused leaks in the ship when they were on the field together. Bush…….not good enough, Brockenmeyer…….not athletic enough………..Ovie…….toooooo Over zealous on the backside. I mean those 3 players cost Texas on defense every week.
Fast forward to 2022, gone is Bush, insert Mathis, Abiara (more on him in a second), and Finley. Brockenmeyer will be replaced by Ford or someone else, and Ovie will be pushed to play sound defense or sit from the sideline and watch. These 3 upgrades will be massive in the personnel department.
Mr. Abiara………am I crazy or is this the guy (jack) of the future. The one plus about Mathis not coming in the spring was that Abiara will get a chance to develop. My dream scenario is that Abiara is the best jack on campus this spring, Mathis comes in and becomes the starter with Abiara as the backup, and that frees up Finkley to adequately pressure Ovie.
Positions and movement:
Cook to Safety…..Good
Collins to DT……Great, please leave him there!
Watts to BCB……… one of the keys to unlocking PK’s defense
Hopefully Brini to star……. None of the other candidates are ready for that
C. Jones back to RT…….maybe? Hopefully? Please?
C. Hayden should be a starting guard… very big on him this season.
Finally….. they have to give the Angilau to center a go during the spring. Majors is a good kid, but unless he get more functional strength you can not continue to play him. He gets his **** whooped to much in the run game.
Well… that’s all folks!
Hook’em

We’re in the middle of the NFL playoffs. It’s got to be the absolute depths of the offseason before we get to cross posting randos from 247
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Day 2’s workout on Wednesday went for nearly three hours and was the toughest a lot of players could remember.

Day 3’s workout on Thursday at 6:30 a.m. was outside and the temperature was 30 degrees. “That alone made it tough,” said a team source.

Sophomore receiver Troy Omeire is still not medically cleared from the knee injury he suffered last year, but he’s continuing to rehab from the injury.

New mid-year enrollee transfer receiver Isaiah Neyor’s presence for spring football is huge for UT.

Freshman quarterback Maalik Murphy is in a boot, still recovering from an ankle injury suffered last month when he was sacked in the fourth quarter of Serra High School’s third straight CIF State Division I-A championship.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Quinn Ewers so far has been “quiet,” “cool” and “laid back,” according to team sources. “He hasn’t been cocky like some have portrayed him to be,” said a team source. “He’s vibing with his teammates.”

Sophomore Hudson Card, who is now the veteran quarterback on the Longhorns’ team, “has seemed totally engaged and all-out during workouts, which is normal for him.”

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Day 2’s workout on Wednesday went for nearly three hours and was the toughest a lot of players could remember.

Day 3’s workout on Thursday at 6:30 a.m. was outside and the temperature was 30 degrees. “That alone made it tough,” said a team source.

Sophomore receiver Troy Omeire is still not medically cleared from the knee injury he suffered last year, but he’s continuing to rehab from the injury.

New mid-year enrollee transfer receiver Isaiah Neyor’s presence for spring football is huge for UT.

Freshman quarterback Maalik Murphy is in a boot, still recovering from an ankle injury suffered last month when he was sacked in the fourth quarter of Serra High School’s third straight CIF State Division I-A championship.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Quinn Ewers so far has been “quiet,” “cool” and “laid back,” according to team sources. “He hasn’t been cocky like some have portrayed him to be,” said a team source. “He’s vibing with his teammates.”

Sophomore Hudson Card, who is now the veteran quarterback on the Longhorns’ team, “has seemed totally engaged and all-out during workouts, which is normal for him.”

Oh man, you dummies are gonna do this to yourselves again aren't you

• Hook 'Em 2