Unbelievable-but-true things

TexArcher

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's an optical illusion. They look bigger when they're closer to the horizon and you're viewing them next to trees, buildings, hills, etc. They look bigger by comparison.  When they're higher up in the sky you lose that frame of reference and they seem smaller. You can test this by holding a piece of string at arm's length and "measuring" the diameter of the moon at different heights in the sky. 

This doesn't explain why the phenomenon holds true at sea. Try again.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Test it for yourself. 

Test what? Look at the moon while at sea? Been there done that countless times thank you very much. Still looks larger when near the horizon. Parliaments explanation may hold water but I'd have to see the source for that. The "comparison to buildings and trees" you offered is horseshit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Test what? Look at the moon while at sea? Been there done that countless times thank you very much. Still looks larger when near the horizon. Parliaments explanation may hold water but I'd have to see the source for that. The "comparison to buildings and trees" you offered is horseshit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

Multiple theories why. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

Seems like with virtual reality you could create an environment where variables could be added or eliminated and get a better idea as to what causes it. I suspect the Chinese of playing a part, they're an especially tricky people.

22 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Iirc, Jimmy Johnson went to hs in Beaumont with Janis Joplin.

my mom graduated with Janis Joplin, PA Thomas Jefferson class of '60.  Johnson graduated a year behind them, in '61.  however, Johnson did graduate from PATJ with this guy...

sgt-rizzo-mash.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7sVmvtrmEGu_djOWVnaW

thecloser2.jpg

Edited by Kyrie Eleison

On May 30, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Doc Reeves said:

One of my favorite stories from my neuroscience class:

Guy had terrible bipolar depression. Battled it for years with meds and Drs. but nothing worked. One day it became to much and he took gun and put it to his temple and pulled the trigger. 

Incredibly not only does he survive, but the bullet fixes his brain and cures his Bipolar depression 

Would it work for a lot of posters around here?

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Those are obviously photoshopped since we've never been to the moon.  The real answer is because the earth is flat.  The closer the sun/moon gets to the horizon, the closer it actually is to you.  Didn't you study the Pythagorean theorm in school?

Eh, I'm more of an "inverted universe" guy, because it mirrors my nipples.

So what do we need all those fancy spaceships for?  Just start folding some paper.  I bet if we use construction paper or card stock we can get to the moon faster!

And to those of you who say you can't fold paper more than 6 or 7 times in half, I ask, why does Rice play Texas?