The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

5 hours ago, Gladeite said:

I have got to get back to work.  This stay at home is making me crazy.   I have bought over 5000 rounds of 9mm, 1000 of .45,  a Clark custom .45, various spring kits for Glocks, recoil spring assemblies, etc...  Seems like everyday I get something from Brownells, MidwayUSA, AmmoToGo, etc...  Today, I installed a Zev Pro flat face trigger on a Gen 5 Glock 19.  Love it.  Very little Glock sludge in take-up and crisp 3.5 lb wall.  Been shooting a couple hundred rounds per week.  

You and me both, Brother.

19 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Ordered a new Leupold to go on my new Ruger Precision 22lr. Got some more XTac barnes 300 BLK coming. Got 250 round of 410 3" 6 shot in recently.

I've spent a lot on guns and glass.

Today I was shopping for a new fishing rod, real and a brand new fishing Kayak today. This fucking isolation is going to put me in the poor house.

Edit - side note, the yak I want is $4000.00 no, not an error. The super cherry ones are fucking expensive.

Don't yaks eat a lot?

*Ducks and runs*

A couple of years ago I was looking at the Liberty Suppressors Leonidas .300 Blk integral suppressor.  I didn't buy because I didn't want to wait forever for a firearm.  

Well... Looking at the current climate I sure wish I would have bought it.  No cloak room but I'm worried that our AR platform could be in trouble in the future and I'm not going to make the mistake again.  Went ahead and ordered the full upper today.  If stamps are 270 days out that means an early 2021 delivery.  Time to stock up on ammo and just forget about it for a while.  It would make a great January birthday gift.

https://libertycans.net/leonidas/

• Like 2

Debating between a new IWI Galil in 7.62 for $1800 and a new FN Scar-17s in 308 @ $3200.

Anyone willing to do a pros/cons list on those two? I’ve never fired either and am just looking for a clean, simple end of days rifle. 7.62 is obviously cheaper from an ammo perspective, but I’m wondering what the best investment is in the opinion of the board.

The Scar seems a bit pricey, especially once you throw optics and mags into the equation, but I do love it so...

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

Debating between a new IWI Galil in 7.62 for $1800 and a new FN Scar-17s in 308 @ $3200.

Anyone willing to do a pros/cons list on those two? I’ve never fired either and am just looking for a clean, simple end of days rifle. 7.62 is obviously cheaper from an ammo perspective, but I’m wondering what the best investment is in the opinion of the board.

The Scar seems a bit pricey, especially once you throw optics and mags into the equation, but I do love it so...

I used to think that the Scar was one of the ugliest guns out there.  I've never held or even been around one but now that I have a nice little collection of firearms I find myself wanting one.

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Fixed. :)

Yes, much to my surprise they do. 

Who knew a fucking paddle yak could could run close to $5000.00 not me. That's for damn sure.

I thought for sure you were looking at a Hobie. Which paddle yak is $5 grr?

I too want a SCAR, but I’d immediately want to SBR it. 

Edited by Lat22

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Who knew a fucking paddle yak could could run close to $5000.00 not me. That's for damn sure.

So you did mean “pedal” yak. I have a PA14 but they weren’t quite that expensive when I got mine. Hobie sets the prices for their stuff and dealers can’t really come off of them (unless it’s during a boat show). It’s a great fishing platform. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

What do you want to do with it?  If you wanna snipe out beyond 800 yards, the SCAR is better.  (But not as good as a built AR10.)  Wanna blast stuff at shorter range, the much cheaper Galil is better.  Not as cool as a SCAR, but still.  TBH, the only thing a SCAR can do better than an AR10 is be really cool.  Nothing wrong with that.  I covet a SCAR very much.

Also the weight, hard to keep an AR10 at 8lbs like a Scar17.

Even my minimalist AR10 pistol is over 9lbs with a strike eagle mounted. When my can gets mounted it’ll be over 10lbs.

But the Galil like the Fal is just an amazing piece of weaponry.

I’d love me a Scar17 maybe in 6.5creedmore... hmm one day, I can dream

Build your own, and pick the right, light, parts.  V7 Weapons Systems and 2A Armaments are a good place to start. Use an adjustable gas block and higher-end BCG.  Will be just as reliable as a a semi auto SCAR.  

SCAR's aren't perfect either.  Factory triggers are bad, and the buttstock is not universally loved.

Build your own, and pick the right, light, parts.  V7 Weapons Systems and 2A Armaments are a good place to start. Use an adjustable gas block and higher-end BCG.  Will be just as reliable as a a semi auto SCAR.  
SCAR's aren't perfect either.  Factory triggers are bad, and the buttstock is not universally loved.

e4e64c3cccdb8b713c0d73dd57ad9246.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

PSA........ClassicFirearms.com has some Glock 22 and 27s in stock from police trade-ins.

I've had good luck with them in the past and if your looking for a good truck gun or something reasonably priced those are pretty good values considering today's market.

Everything surplus I've ever purchased from them far exceeded the stated condition.  If they list as Good to Very Good, then my experience is that they are hardly used at all.

14 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

The AR10 is NOT superior to the SCAR.

Nothing against an AR10 but that's like comparing a Kimber to a Ed Brown. Different worlds.

This is an apt comparison.  Long story short, I have a good friend that cut his teeth in the special op world, and he has echoed a sentiment I've heard from others that have used the platform in the field - the outstanding accuracy and mechanics of the SCAR, like the ultra-refined tolerances of a high-end 1911 such as the Ed Brown, do not lend themselves well to time in the field.  Feeding issues, specifically.  I'm not dumping on the SCAR.  It's a great platform, but that is just some of feedback I've heard that isn't relevant to us suburban commandos.  

For the AR fanboys, I'd start with:

Build me a AR with:

1) Free floating barrel.
2) Monolithic upper receiver with rails at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.
3) Adjustable gas regulator.
4) Forward gas piston.
5) Folding front and rear iron sights.
6) Adjustable LOP and cheek rise stock.
7) Make it ambidextrous.

Keep the weight under 8lbs and the cost under $2500.  Tall order - so I'd cut the SCAR-boys some slack.  

16 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

The AR10 is NOT superior to the SCAR.

Nothing against an AR10 but that's like comparing a Kimber to a Ed Brown. Different worlds.

Depends on what you're measuring.  An AR10 with a match / free floated barrel w/ good ammo, tight tolerances on the upper and lower receiver, etc (see: well built) would absolutely keep up with a SCAR in the accuracy category.  It would also be around half the price, which would leave enough money leftover for a nice optic.  

As far as field reliability, gas piston, adjustable gas, etc - that's a different story.   If you just want an accurate 308 battle rifle, an AR10 is a good choice.  If you want a completely modernized weapon system built around the 308 - the SCAR would be the best option.  

Edited by krevo
  • Like 1

So.

My gunsafe (Champion) won't open.

Locksmith has tried non-destructive means to open it without success.

Looks like I will be in the market for a gun safe. Anyone have suggestions/recs/reviews for good or bad safes or a dealer with good prices in Austin or San Antonio? 

36 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

So.

My gunsafe (Champion) won't open.

Locksmith has tried non-destructive means to open it without success.

Looks like I will be in the market for a gun safe. Anyone have suggestions/recs/reviews for good or bad safes or a dealer with good prices in Austin or San Antonio? 

Electronic or dial?  Have you checked with the manufacturer?  I know some of the electronic ones have really shitty keypads that they can sometimes help with.  I've heard of them shipping out new ones that you replace on your own if its the ones you can disconnect from the front of the door.

The problem with AR-10s is the fact none of them are standardized. Most Ar15 parts are interchangeable between manufacturers now. Some of them are still proprietary, but you can swap most lowers and uppers and shoot. Who knows about an Ar10.

This is my biggest gripe...

Ar15: mil-spec majority, commercial minority or proprietary rare.
Ar10: armalite, dpms high, dpms low, and 20 others... gen 1 often won’t work with gen 2 or gen 3 etc...

1 hour ago, krevo said:

Electronic or dial?  Have you checked with the manufacturer?  I know some of the electronic ones have really shitty keypads that they can sometimes help with.  I've heard of them shipping out new ones that you replace on your own if its the ones you can disconnect from the front of the door.

Combo is electric (works fine) but the problem is with the wheel, I think something in the door mechanism is disconnected. I checked with the manufacturer, Champion, it is out of warranty. They talked me through it and said it will likely need to be drilled out, compromising the safe and resulting in repairs that make it more efficient to just "brute strength" it for cheap and get a new one.

So I am in the market.

On 4/21/2020 at 3:59 PM, Party_Taco said:

I love IWI stuff so I am definitely biased.  I have an X95 in 5.56, a Galil Ace in 7.62x39 and their newish optic ready 9mm pistol, the Masada.  I did replace the triggers in the X95 and the Ace.  X95 trigger replacement was not worth the price.  ALG makes a version of the AKT for the Ace and that absolutely was worth it.  Also replaced the handguard on the Ace with an MLOK model from RS Regulate.  There is another company that makes them now too, for less.  Forget who they are now.

People say the X95 is not as accurate as the Tavor...that may be true but I am not as accurate as either and neither is the cheap steel I shoot through it most of the time.  I like my X95 a lot and when I let people shoot it, they are smiling when they hand it back to me.

I got my Ace in 7.62x39 because it is about the best factory AK in that chamber around.  Recently suppressed I shot some subsonic 196gr Brown Bear through it.  The pings on a steel target from 100 yards are arguably louder than what you hear when you pull the trigger.  Normally I shoot based on price per round so I like lots of cheap Russian steel for the most part.  This is steel and Russian, but its about 50 cents a round which is not cheap to me.  But it will be hard to go back to full speed cheap from the subsonic.

Masada is an impressive gun at its price point.  I think I paid $500 for a pistol with optic bundle.  Especially considering IWI shit usually is not reasonably priced.  Honestly it reminds me of an improved G19, at least out of the box from the factory.  3 dot sights and trigger are vastly superior to my factory gen3 G19.  Ergonomics are subjective but I think Masada wins there too.  Standard mag is 17 v 15, in favor of Masada as well.  Also, the optics ready slide.  This was my first pistol to mount an optic and I liked it more than I thought I would.  One downside is there don't seem to be any threaded barrels for the Masada.

Never shot or handled a Scar.  

• Like 1

For the AR fanboys, I'd start with:
Build me a AR with:

1) Free floating barrel.
2) Monolithic upper receiver with rails at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.
3) Adjustable gas regulator.
4) Forward gas piston.
5) Folding front and rear iron sights.
6) Adjustable LOP and cheek rise stock.
7) Make it ambidextrous.

Keep the weight under 8lbs and the cost under $2500.  Tall order - so I'd cut the SCAR-boys some slack.  

Add a JP Rifles captured recoil spring and trigger upgrade of your choice.

The problem with AR-10s is the fact none of them are standardized. Most Ar15 parts are interchangeable between manufacturers now. Some of them are still proprietary, but you can swap most lowers and uppers and shoot. Who knows about an Ar10.

This is why I haven't built one. Was close to building on the Mega Arms MA10, and then they sold out to someone who dropped it. Then I was waiting for other companies to jump on DPMS's G2 platform, and then they went out of business.

Now I covet an Aero Precision build. I want a rifle that lets you mount the handguard right to the upper. Other than some very expensive options, Aero is your only choice.

18 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Welp, the Galil was sold 30 minutes before I arrived today because my boss called an impromptu meeting, so my choice was already made. No regerts!

df1fe7d98c67de73343e5b43696c6ae1.plist

Appreciate all the info, fellas - Now, off to buy accessories...

Where'd you pick her up?

15 hours ago, Parliament said:

Add a JP Rifles captured recoil spring and trigger upgrade of your choice.

This is why I haven't built one. Was close to building on the Mega Arms MA10, and then they sold out to someone who dropped it. Then I was waiting for other companies to jump on DPMS's G2 platform, and then they went out of business.

Now I covet an Aero Precision build. I want a rifle that lets you mount the handguard right to the upper. Other than some very expensive options, Aero is your only choice.

The lack of interchangeable components sucks on the 10. I built an aero and am VERY happy with it. Went B+ to A+ on every component (even scope rings) and including the scope I’m in it for about $2600. The scope is the only thing that isn’t A+ because who knows what you will spend there. Mine is an M-308 which is built for the 10 platform. 

Threading what seems to be an impossible shot on a small animal at range was what my childhood with friends was all about.  From popping a floating turtle head in a stock tank with a Sheridan .177 pellet rifle to taking a squirrel dumb enough to peek around a tree at 70+ yards.  It's so much fun and makes you such a great shot.  

2 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I sniped one off the backyard fence last week with an airgun that did that exact move. It was like something out of the matrix. 

He dead.

I go hard on the YouTube vidoes of the guys using those ultra-expensive air guns with night sights.  From rats to monkeys in S. Africa.  Almost no sound.  Like "Hollywood quiet".  They're so great!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I used to do it. My hide was my bedroom window. It gave me a perfect view of the feeder where they hovered. Cracked the window, kept the barrel of my Daisy Powerline 880 just inside, and went to work. 

We massacred everything.  We'd head to the ranch and spend all day sniping sparrows around the horse barn & pens.  Lizards and snakes.  Rats.  A metric ton of rabbits and stock tank turtles.  I still have that Sheridan .177 and later the upgraded piston spring air rifle from the upstairs room @ McBrides in Austin 

• Like 2

I bought a .45 Sig P320C in a CDNN Redbox sale some time ago, but for many reasons never got together with the FFL guy.   Finally got it Friday, and it's a beauty.   Looks brand new, and it came with two mags and a bore snake and a Sig Kydex holster.  All for $349, I think it was.    It has the new/recall innards and trigger.

Anyone have/shot one of these?   I can't wait for the indoor range to open back up.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2020 at 9:03 PM, BurntEyes said:

I'm not proud of one of mine because of the target. It was a hunming bird. 

However, I was 12. I knew better, but it was easily 60-70 yards on a moving target. I was running a BB gun. I honestly thought there was zero chance. 

I was wrong.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:17 PM, Lat22 said:

I used to do it. My hide was my bedroom window. It gave me a perfect view of the feeder where they hovered. Cracked the window, kept the barrel of my Daisy Powerline 880 just inside, and went to work. 

Shit,. My wife wife just loaded up her BMG gear and is currently running you guys info on residences, habits and location.... tried to talk to her... sorry guys, I tried.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

She's welcome to try and come regulate behavior in my Tennessee Hollar. 

Tell her that the PPE is going to let everyone know she's an invader.  Meth heads and red necks in general aren't keen on outsiders 

She's been warned.

When it comes to her love of hummingbirds, she goes to the Stoopid range.

(Yoj know of course I'm kidding although she does love those colorful little midgets)

On 4/26/2020 at 3:11 PM, Gatorubet said:

I bought a .45 Sig P320C in a CDNN Redbox sale some time ago, but for many reasons never got together with the FFL guy.   Finally got it Friday, and it's a beauty.   Looks brand new, and it came with two mags and a bore snake and a Sig Kydex holster.  All for $349, I think it was.    It has the new/recall innards and trigger.

Anyone have/shot one of these?   I can't wait for the indoor range to open back up.

I don't have the P320C in 45 but I do have a regular P320 45ACP and it's probably my favorite handgun.

Just not as practical or compact as a 9mm so it doesn't do much unless I'm at the ranch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm not even going to guess at the extreme measures, because I'm a man. However, I'll defend the love of them. They are amazing birds, second only to birds of prey on my cool scale.

Grackles round out the bottom, just above squirrels, actual squirrels and right below Cardinals. (Cardinals are a different story for a different thread.)

Fookin grackles are hogging most of the birdseed in our back yard and scaring off the song birds & cardinals. (/Kyler)

Told Mrs. Brat I’m gonna get stealthy on the back patio with the bb gun and lay in wait for those mofos.

• Like 1