The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

8 hours ago, RPM said:

2nd wife wanted a gun for protection. Bought her a little Taurus .380 I thought she could handle. When I tried to train her on it, I fired a few rounds to demonstrate then handed the weapon over to her. She held it like a hand grenade about to explode and naturally lost control as soon as she pulled the trigger and dropped it. That was it, she was done with training, it was all bullshit, but still wanted to carry the gun. I sold it an hour later. Got rid of her not long after that.

LOL.  Keep the gun man.  Keep the gun!

Seriously, wife wanted to learn to shoot so I took her up to the new Frisco Gun Range.  Similiar situation.  Rented a PPK/S (metal frame, .380, heavier, etc) as what I thought was a great first choice for my dainty 214/"M" streets wife (Dallas people will get the reference).

Started with dry fire exercises.  Then one round in the gun.  Fire.  Lay gun down on rest.  Step back.  Repeat.  Then 2, then 3, etc.  Gradual exposure to more and more rounds.  She loved it.  Never did decide to carry, but the experience was good and her attitude has change considerably.

Fear is neither rationale nor easily overcome.  Guns can be scary to the uninformed.  It's all about gradual exposure.  We are all steward's and have the responsibility to pass on what we know and train people properly.  

On 1/22/2019 at 8:04 AM, Jkwellborn said:

It was a response to Lat. he said that TN chl holders wouldn’t have a TX address on them. I was wondering how TX residents with an out of state chl got around that. I’m assuming all license have the home address on them.

I don’t think you can “get around it”. If you live in Texas, you need to get a Texas LTC.  I’ve always thought of reciprocity being for travelers/visitors.

Of course I could be completely wrong. 

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

(Edit - the following is in no way a slam on you)

I always strongly recommend a female only intro to firearms class. I'm all about reviewing safety prior, dry firing at home (toward a safe target that's okay to destroy), and general guidance.

In my experience however, far too many husband, boy friends etc, actually don't know WTF they are talking about. Taking an all female class empowers the woman to start make choices for herself and not feel "guided" (forced) in a general direction.

In firearms selection, I recommend a similar process.

Go to a gun range with a shit load of rentals (after she has taken an all female intro class that provides firearms).

Shoot a bunch of different pistols and calibers, after walking through the reloading, and operating aspects prior.

Take a breather, and go back again and narrow it down to 3-4 of her choice. 

Then ask her which is the least intimidating operationally and take note of which she shoots most accurately.

Then, purchase that gun.

It's HERS, not the one someone bought for her.

Then offer to buy, usually at the same place but maybe not, some all female intro to defensive shooting courses.

Something great happens. They find community, outside of the relationship, in the gun community.

They sometimes run with it, even independently. Let them.

I'm not slamming your approach at all, but if you'd like your significant other to go that direction, empower them. Make it their process not yours, then get the fuck out of the way.

It doesn't always work but it's a lot better in most cases than choosing the "right" gun for them and "teaching" them how to shoot.

The all female aspect is something that I had not thought about, but it makes sense.  All men, husbands, fathers, boyfriends whatever are just trying to show our superiority and make them look bad.   Bunch of chauvinist bastards we are.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

(Edit - the following is in no way a slam on you)

I always strongly recommend a female only intro to firearms class. I'm all about reviewing safety prior, dry firing at home (toward a safe target that's okay to destroy), and general guidance.

In my experience however, far too many husband, boy friends etc, actually don't know WTF they are talking about. Taking an all female class empowers the woman to start make choices for herself and not feel "guided" (forced) in a general direction.

In firearms selection, I recommend a similar process.

Go to a gun range with a shit load of rentals (after she has taken an all female intro class that provides firearms).

Shoot a bunch of different pistols and calibers, after walking through the reloading, and operating aspects prior.

Take a breather, and go back again and narrow it down to 3-4 of her choice. 

Then ask her which is the least intimidating operationally and take note of which she shoots most accurately.

Then, purchase that gun.

It's HERS, not the one someone bought for her.

Then offer to buy, usually at the same place but maybe not, some all female intro to defensive shooting courses.

Something great happens. They find community, outside of the relationship, in the gun community.

They sometimes run with it, even independently. Let them.

I'm not slamming your approach at all, but if you'd like your significant other to go that direction, empower them. Make it their process not yours, then get the fuck out of the way.

It doesn't always work but it's a lot better in most cases than choosing the "right" gun for them and "teaching" them how to shoot.

Agreed.  In my case, it was "date night" and she wanted to get a little trigger time, but wasn't sure how/where to start.  She really did like that little stainless Walther and isn't a fan of striker fired platforms.  We'll circle back, but her initial exposure was a good one in here eyes.  

8 hours ago, Parliament said:

So what kinda cool stuff is coming out of SHOT Show?

350 Legend from Winchester-  bolt gun or AR-15 compatible with a lot less recoil than the 450 bushmaster and more thump than the 300 BL 

Dainel Defence has a 10mm AR SBR and soon to be braced pistol

CZ has a bunch of new stuff.

EAA is bringing over some more European stuff that looks interesting 

Hudson is already out of business - they no-showed for their booth and are failing lawsuits from suppliers. 

• Like 2

This PF-9 always stirs the pot but this is a good deal.  I have one for CCW and it's an effective, 7+1, 9mm that can be pocket carried in the summer while in your Bermuda shorts if you're at or over about 5'10".  This is as low as I've ever seen one priced.  

Is it

Pretty? No.

Technologically advanced? No. 

Exuding materials and craftsmanship? No. 

Fun to shoot? No. 

A conversation starter? No. 

Going to impress your buddies/folks at the range? No. 

Going to show up on the next movie, video game, TV show? Only if The First 48 counts.  

Will it

Go bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang? Yes. 

Carry in your pocket as the lightest 7+1 9mm on the market? Yes.  

https://gunprime.com/product/keltec-pf-9-9mm-black-frame-7rd-pistol/?goal=0_0bf02f2930-2ad3c61e9c-65428541&mc_cid=2ad3c61e9c&mc_eid=b94c28ca29

• Like 1

Also I took Mrs. Bigshark to the rimfire range one afternoon to get her some trigger time.  Got her lined up with a Marlin 39 and told her to close her left eye while keeping her right eye open to get a sight picture.  After a few minutes we realized (to my horror) that she was physically incapable of closing her left eye and keeping her right eye open.  Never heard that before in my life.  Eventually got her shooting with both eyes open like an "operator" I guess.  We still laugh about it.  

She claims to be able to access and operate the defensive firearms in the house but I harbor SERIOUS DOUBTS about that.  

Yeah, a large number of right/unfortunate handed people are left eye dominant. And a large portion of those folks are so left eye dominant that the can't even perform basic functions with their right eye if their left is closed. Luckily we recognize this more now and can teach kids to shoot on the side of their dominant eye instead of their dominant hand.

17 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Also I took Mrs. Bigshark to the rimfire range one afternoon to get her some trigger time.  Got her lined up with a Marlin 39 and told her to close her left eye while keeping her right eye open to get a sight picture.  After a few minutes we realized (to my horror) that she was physically incapable of closing her left eye and keeping her right eye open.  Never heard that before in my life.  Eventually got her shooting with both eyes open like an "operator" I guess.  We still laugh about it.  

She claims to be able to access and operate the defensive firearms in the house but I harbor SERIOUS DOUBTS about that.  

Can she close her right eye instead? If so, stick the gun in the other hand and have her shoot left-handed. Most rifles are neutral (straight) cast, so it would probably work the same way.

If she ever got into shotgunning, then you might have a problem with gun fit and sight lines, but I can't see a stationary rifle causing the same sort of issues unless it's some sort of super custom piece. 

Yeah, a large number of right/unfortunate handed people are left eye dominant. And a large portion of those folks are so left eye dominant that the can't even perform basic functions with their right eye if their left is closed. Luckily we recognize this more now and can teach kids to shoot on the side of their dominant eye instead of their dominant hand.

I’m left eye dominant and right handed.

I trained for a long time on keeping both eyes open and squinting with my left eye once I went to actually shoot.

As I’ve gotten older and shoot a whole heck of a lot less, I notice these days that I’ve gotten lazy and often will have my pistol drifting over towards my left eye sight picture so when I squint I’m WAY off aim.

Longarms it has never been a problem mainly pistols

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Parliament said:

LGS has a stainless Sig-Sauer P230 on 38 ACP for $350.

Is that a good deal?

P230 comes in .380 and 32 ACP.  Verify the caliber.  Modern .380 SD ammo ins't awful considering the size restrictions on the casing.  Assuming used?  I think they stop making in the mid 90's?

I’m left eye dominant and right handed.

I trained for a long time on keeping both eyes open and squinting with my left eye once I went to actually shoot.

As I’ve gotten older and shoot a whole heck of a lot less, I notice these days that I’ve gotten lazy and often will have my pistol drifting over towards my left eye sight picture so when I squint I’m WAY off aim.

Longarms it has never been a problem mainly pistols

I'm in the same boat. It doesn't seem to be a problem with a pistol, but I'm a way better shot with a shotgun when I shoot left handed.

.32 ACP seemed quite capable for the folks between world wars. Did medicine advance enough in that time period to make those calibers fall out of favor, or was it more the effect of the wars on our value of life and suffering that made them fade away? Just something I've been wondering about from watching tv shows and stuff about the era. It's an interesting topic to me.

10 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

was not very impressed with my little Colt Mustang's reliability. It's not a terrible gun, I just have high demands.

I own a G42, but frankly it's too large for most pocket carry. Run it in a smaller own from Comp-Tac just like the G43.

I like my J Frame 340PD and it is at Magnaport getting some holes drilled in it right now but compared to the Pro Series 640, also getting holes punched, that I got for my mother for mother's day, the sites are shit.

So.. when I was in getting my knew performance center LComp, that already has a hole in the barrel I ran into:

https://www.springfield-armory.com/911-series/

Yeah it's only a 380 but it's smaller than the Sig in a 1911 format/style and has way, way better sites than the mustang or 340....

So it came home with me as my new house mouse/pocket carry for shorts and T-shirt type days.

That’s been a longtime recurring issues with compact and sub-compact 1911 models and derivatives.  They are getting better, but they still have their moments.  1911’s bread and butter are their triggers.  Best production pull you will ever find.  Combined with a long sigh radius and a heavy frame.  They lend themselves to accurate shooting and stability.

Still, my EDC for many moons was a Sig P938 for this very reason.  Easily concealable.  Accurate.  No FTE’s or FTF’s. 

Kel-tec and North American make little .32acp pistols. I’ve had both and they were good shooters, but since the LCP .380 is about the same size there wasn’t much point in carrying the smaller caliber. 

I pocketcarry an LCP 75% of the time,  a 9mm IWB the other 25%. Used to carry a compact .45acp, but increased arthritis in my hand & shoulder have nixed that one.

10 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

It's not a good round today. 380 is at the bottom end of the ballistics spectrum for my comfort level.

The 32 acp is less capable, by a goodly amount than the 380. I'd have to do some research but I don't even think it is available in the Barnes. (Well shit buffalo makes one in Barnes)

Finally, because it just isn't popular and is niche I'm confident even the fmj is pricey relative to a 380 or 9mm. Out of curiosity I checked, about to the same as 380. However, I don't know of any major manufacturer making guns for it off the top of my head unless Beretta is still making a bob cat in 32. There was a 25..  and I know there is a 22 lr. (Edit they aren't making the 25 nor 32 anymore,  checked)

So... Why would you?? 

Final edit

Well I found a seacamp in 32 acp.

MSRP is $510

http://seecamp.com/ammunition.htm

So um, to each their own. I clearly know Jack shit about 32 acp, but I'm not buying one.

Agreed.  I’d never run anything smaller than a .380.  It’s a ‘baby’ 9mm.  It is to the parabellum what the .40 S&W is to the 10mm. 

It has limited case capacity.  It’s small, and not very fast (especially out of a short barrel) – giving it expansion issues.  Still, it’s exponentially better than a pocketknife or nothing at all. 

32 and 25 ACP are novelty items.  No longer in production, making ammo, as stated hard to come by. 

If you want to run small, and I mean REALLY small, look at the little NAA revolvers.  They are surprisingly fun.  If you want to step things up, arguably one of the most fun to shoot and all around nasty little pistols made in the Kel-Tec 22mag semi.  30rd mag.  Almost a foot worth of flame blasting out the muzzle.  Zero recoil.  Weight (unloaded) about as much a big cell phone in a case.  Becoming my favorite pistol to shoot.

Ballistics on the 22mag are surprisingly efficient in terms of penetration.  Falls slightly behind the 5.7x28mm (designed as a high-capacity military & LE round to defeat body armor).   

The .327 Federal round has gotten my attention. Pretty damn fast & hard hitting..... more than the 9mm, and equal to standard .357 magnum.

Pro: more rounds can be squeezed in revolvers (SP101), can also shoot .32 H&R and .32 S&W.

Con: factory ammo is scarce, muzzle blast is excessive.

I carry every day.  I agree with the above poster that .380 is the minimum.  The .327 Federal is an anomaly and not very popular.  The 5.7 x 28mm is one of the most effective fight stoppers there is, however, platforms are limited and the pistols do not conceal well.  The Ft. Hood shooter made 13 one shot kills with the 5.7.  Every shot to the torso resulted in death.  Very unusual for a pistol round.  I carry the Glock 30s.  .45 acp in a concealable package with 10 + 1.  I carry AIWB with Untuckit shirts most days in corporate/bank/office environments and have never had anyone ask if I was carrying.  Use 230 grain HST and recoil is very manageable.  Training rounds are mild reloads.  I run 3-500 rounds a month thru it training.  

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

First, if you can get your hands on the 911 I noted above, do so, and take a look at the site picture. Then compare the size to your Sig. Not a bad on Sig, I like the P938.

Next on 1911 triggers and value, not sure if that was directed at me or more just for general info. If for me ..well, you might have missed the fact that I own 5 Ed Browns so you're preaching to the choir. ;)

HA!  Ed Brown's are 'maybe' my favorite higher-end 1911 platform (Big Dan Wesson fan as well).

My point about the trigger was that the smaller 1911's tried to carryover these larger-frame qualities but just never quite got it right....except for that great trigger.  I have a number of striker fired pistols.  DA/SA., etc.  Nothing comes close on a stock model.  It drove my decision making for a smaller carry gun that cost more than I wanted to spend and hold fewer rounds than I wish it had.  

How do you like to Scorpion SBR? Been looking for a pistol caliber SBR. Thanks
I like it. Run it with a Silencerco Omega 9k, and it's pretty quite with subs. When I SBR'd it, the braces were not as good as they are now. With the tailhook braces, not sure the trouble and cost of SBRing it is even necessary these days.

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Eh.. look at 10 mm over the 327. Hell Ruger makes a GP100 Wiley Clap in 10mm now, and Glock and Colt both have options.

It covers your bases well and is more common than 327 and stacks up even to better than 357 mag. Plus you can run it in Semis.

Good advice.  Ballistics on the 10mm are close to the old .41Mag.  Hits hard. 

Had a love affair with the old Bren 10 when they first came out and I got my first 'Shooters Bible" back in the day.  

• Like 1

Any of you have experience with Tanfoglio? My nephew brought one home, and though I never thought I would like such a pistol it has grown on me.

I have been a 1911 guy all of my life. So change doesn’t come easy. But, the workmanship on the pistol is first rate. And damn the trigger is absolutely incredible for a factory set up. Almost breaks like a Jewel.

This is not my pistol by the way, I just did a quick screen grab so people could see what I am talking about.

577-E8418-FD98-49-D8-99-E3-23-FB0-EC162-

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Any of you have experience with Tanfoglio? My nephew brought one home, and though I never thought I would like such a pistol it has grown on me.

I have been a 1911 guy all of my life. So change doesn’t come easy. But, the workmanship on the pistol is first rate. And damn the trigger is absolutely incredible for a factory set up. Almost breaks like a Jewel.

This is not my pistol by the way, I just did a quick screen grab so people could see what I am talking about.

Some of the Tanfoglios are clones of the CZ-75. I'm not sure if this is what your son has, but I currently have 3 pistols, a CZ-75 and two Dan Wesson 1911's. I own these guns, because for me the trigger feel is very similar across all three. I like the CZ more than the Sigs that I've tried, and feel it compares with the 1911's. CZ's are very popular in competition shooting, and I think the trigger is a good part of the popularity.

In short, I'm not surprised that you like it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

I like the CZ more than the Sigs that I've tried, and feel it compares with the 1911's. CZ's are very popular in competition shooting, and I think the trigger is a good part of the popularity.

Was Sig fanboy for years.  1911, P220, P938.  But man, CZ is turning out some amazing items these days.  From pistols, to rifles, to shotguns, to their new chassis rifles and even AR's .  Talking about coveting a friend's pistol.  Anyone had any trigger time with the new Shadow 2?  That might be the overall finest production pistol I've ever fired....and that includes the whole spectrum of high-end 1911's.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Those are fine handguns.

I'm a 10mm whore and next on my list is either the Witness Elite Stock III or the Witness Hunter   (Why not both?).

As said above, there is a reason they are so popular on the competition circuit.

Same.  Except I'd like to get a G20.  As a durable, lightweight sidearm for the mountain and/or hunting in western states and Texas pigs.  Carried a 1911, but that was short lived (too heavy, too nice).  And my polymer 9mm's don't pack enough kinetic energy.  

When hiking in the western/northwestern states, I carry a Gen 5 Glock 19 or 30s stoked with Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets.   Well known Alaskan guide Phil Shoemaker was able to protect his clients by killing a Grizzly with his 9mm loaded with BB cast bullets.  Plenty of penetration and wound cavitation is pretty good due to the wide, flat point.  

On 2/7/2019 at 3:51 PM, BurntEyes said:

First, if you can get your hands on the 911 I noted above, do so, and take a look at the site picture. Then compare the size to your Sig. Not a bad on Sig, I like the P938.

Next on 1911 triggers and value, not sure if that was directed at me or more just for general info. If for me ..well, you might have missed the fact that I own 5 Ed Browns so you're preaching to the choir. ;)

who in the hell needs 5 Ed Browns?

errybody

• Like 1

When hiking in the western/northwestern states, I carry a Gen 5 Glock 19 or 30s stoked with Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets.   Well known Alaskan guide Phil Shoemaker was able to protect his clients by killing a Grizzly with his 9mm loaded with BB cast bullets.  Plenty of penetration and wound cavitation is pretty good due to the wide, flat point.  

I’ve heard of people killing grizzlies with .22lr but I ain’t trusting my skin to it in that situation.

Was Sig fanboy for years.  1911, P220, P938.  But man, CZ is turning out some amazing items these days.  From pistols, to rifles, to shotguns, to their new chassis rifles and even AR's .  Talking about coveting a friend's pistol.  Anyone had any trigger time with the new Shadow 2?  That might be the overall finest production pistol I've ever fired....and that includes the whole spectrum of high-end 1911's.  

43419c179ae56d3102f5a37c87d01dca.jpg

Could not agree more. My next purchase is a CZ bold action .22lr rifle. I’ve got boys that will be learning soon enough.
  • Like 2

I’ve gone to CZ over Glock for the most part. I will always have a Glock 19, but I shoot my CZ’s better and love the way they feel. They are ubiquitous on the competition circuit.

If you like the Shadow 2, check out an AccuShadow 2. It is sooooooo sweet.

The guy that runs Fehners Firearms in Gonzalez is assembling quite the CZ inventory. He has more than almost any other shop I’ve been in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 11:10 PM, NYTransplant said:

Some of the Tanfoglios are clones of the CZ-75. I'm not sure if this is what your son has, but I currently have 3 pistols, a CZ-75 and two Dan Wesson 1911's. I own these guns, because for me the trigger feel is very similar across all three. I like the CZ more than the Sigs that I've tried, and feel it compares with the 1911's. CZ's are very popular in competition shooting, and I think the trigger is a good part of the popularity.

I actually do like it. But, to satisfy my desire for a stainless auto I ended up going with the Gold Cup below. After doing some reading I could only find one point of contention regarding the Tanfoglio, but in my mind it was significant. And that is possible cracking of the frame and/or slide.

I shoot a high volume of rounds every year. And shoot competitively on occasion. Even a hint of that type of possible failure causes me pause.

In fairness you take information like that and put it in perspective. Does the person making the claim have a bitch? How many rounds were run through it before the condition was seen? Was the proper ammunition used, etc. Or was it simply a metallurgist error in one batch? Hey, shit happens.

But it reminded me of a PPK I bought shortly after S&W bought the rights to the brand. They too suffered cracking of the frames and to their credit did a call back on all of serial numbers that got through. So they owned up to, and corrected it. But, it was a pain in the ass. So though I may eventually purchase the Witness, I think I’ll wait until a new model year rolls over and revisit what is being circulated by those who like myself run high volumes of ammunition through them.

553-F25-A8-4039-444-C-99-C4-FA33553-DDB2

• Like 5

Picked up a Sig P320 full size over the weekend in 45 ACP. Put 100 rounds through it today and it's already my new favorite handgun. Heavy and wide and fits my meaty hands just right. Very little recoil or muzzle movement because it's so heavy. Loved it. 

I had a feeling after shooting my 1911 enough that a striker fired 45 auto would be nice and it really is. I like the 1911 too but the bite from that hammer is kind of distracting. No hammer on this baby and it is sweet.

It's a big ass gun but I still might try to find a holster just so I could carry it occasionally I like it that much. 

SIGP320-45ACP1.jpg

• Like 3