The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

2 hours ago, 686 said:

Reloading Endeavor Update:

After exhaustive(ing?) research, I decided to go with the Redding Big Boss 2, and their slide bar automatic primer feed system. This seemed to combine a magnum cartridge sized press with what looks to be a well designed primer feed system (I don’t want to handle primers individually if I can avoid it).

I’ve also picked up a set of RCBS dies for 375 WBY, some Lyman case cleaning and prep accessories, and a Hornady reloading manual (only published source with 375 WBY I could find)

Probably going to go with an RCBS Chargemaster Lite powder dispenser.

My rifle really liked the Hornady Superformance ammo, so I’m going to try that powder with the Barnes 270gr LRX working up from minimums ( nothing published with this combo so going to have to interpolate some).

Pics to come at some point when I get all this stuff set up. Lots of strands in ol’ Duder’s head....

Good deal.  Hodgdonreloading.com has info for 5 different powders for 270gr 375Wby loads.

Good deal.  Hodgdonreloading.com has info for 5 different powders for 270gr 375Wby loads.

You are correct, the only problem is the velocities they are showing are a little less than what I’d like (2850+) and they don’t have Superformance data published:

7575892543b4a5b2755dc4003ddf0f00.jpg

Hodgdon shows Superformance as being a little slower than H4831, so I thought I’d start around that minimum for loading.

I’m also interested in Alliant Reloader 26, but I’ve seen no data on that for 375 chamberings, but folks are saying they like it in most longer range chamberings. Here’s the R26 published data for 300 WBY:

6600f9f92d3c66c3797bd25e109e5c09.jpg

Lastly, here’s Hornady’s published 375 WBY loadings, which seems to me like it’s all faster powders than what would be optimal, granted they were using a 24” barrel and I’ve got a 26”:

bed527a46cf020efd987c4b48cae82c2.jpg

Lots of ins and outs. Luckily, I’m adhering to a strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber...

I was going through my old Photobucket and came across these from 2008 or so. I remember posting this on shaggy.  It was when people were taking photos of guns with steaks and stuff.

I’m putting the Fritos in the sandwich in that situation amigo.

I got this range bag at bass pro and was pretty excited about it for 5 minutes, the then a strap came loose (lower left in the photo). I am disappoint.

a3271c6c243e8bf3277622ec1248b767.jpg
  • Like 1

The 20% off coupon has been going for about a week. Looks like they turned it off on guns, but ammo still works. I have several orders that are still pending. It's like they ship one thing, then once you get it, ship another.

1100 copper plated hollow point works out to just under 4c each delivered with tax to me.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/federal-premium-byob-22-lr-36-grain-cphp-rimfire-ammunition#repChildCatid=5206322

Edited by Robin Masters

30 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

52aff045207059b0a442777e98bd6c7e.jpg
My deer rigs:
Sako 75 .270 WSM, Swaro z5 5-25x52BT, waiting on a mcmillan edge stock
Sako 85 .300 WM, Swaro Z5 5-25x52BT, mcmillan sako hunter stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Socko are such classy rigs/solid accoutrements on those two beauties....

On 4/11/2018 at 5:21 AM, 686 said:

My tax stamp came today in for my first can.

I ordered a can for my 1911 at the same time, but haven’t got the call on that yet

A little odd, typically applications mailed together are processed and returned together.

A little odd, typically applications mailed together are processed and returned together.

They actually were, the lady at the shop just didn’t see the second one until I was there to pick up the one she called me about

52aff045207059b0a442777e98bd6c7e.jpg
My deer rigs:
Sako 75 .270 WSM, Swaro z5 5-25x52BT, waiting on a mcmillan edge stock
Sako 85 .300 WM, Swaro Z5 5-25x52BT, mcmillan sako hunter stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbb7c4777f90137185d9236a9c57decd.jpeg

And everything else. Beautiful rigs.

I hit my steel from 550 today with the 300WM, it’s just to the left of the galvanized feeder. The best part was I setup some binos on a tripod so my wife could watch/spot and she was nice enough to refrain from knocking it over and breaking them.

b0f22f4e5bc94e13310cde85e48c8726.jpg

I wish I could build another setup further back but I’m going to lose LOS pretty quickly due to topography. I might be able to get to 600 yards.

I’m looking forward to going to a 1000 yard range.

Also got some practice with the 375 off of shooting sticks, and broke in the new cans as well. It was a good day.

Hopefully I can get my reloading operation going in the next few weeks, get my 375 load worked up and then get my ballistic turret doped and get consistent out to 400 with it.

• Like 3

You can stack the Academy coupons today- 10% sitewide plus the 20% off.  Can’t get it to work on firearms for me but ammo and optics have worked.

Do they not carry LEM stuff online? I was gonna get a tenderizer/jerky sliced for my grinder. Got a gift card too. Would have been a great opportunity.

On 4/21/2018 at 7:25 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Not from my understanding. I haven’t read of anyone mailing two off together and getting them back at the same time.

See 686's post immediately after yours.

Unless the transferee is different, applications generally are processed and returned together IF mailed together (same envelope). I and many firsthand acquaintances have had a lot more than 2 come back together many times.

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn I could use some affordable 30 carbine ammo. 

Buy some of the Israeli I.M.I. stuff from Southern Ohio Gun.

I got a couple of cases of this on the shelf and it runs well.   You can buy FMJ cheaper, but not so much cheaper that it offsets the versatility of inexpensive SP rounds.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammunition-1/30-caliber/israeli-military-industries-new-production-30-carbine-ammo.html

AMO-30IMI.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Buy some of the Israeli I.M.I. stuff from Southern Ohio Gun.

I got a couple of cases of this on the shelf and it runs well.   You can buy FMJ cheaper, but not so much cheaper that it offsets the versatility of inexpensive SP rounds.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammunition-1/30-caliber/israeli-military-industries-new-production-30-carbine-ammo.html

AMO-30IMI.jpg

that a great price, particularly for soft points, thanks

Edited by 4th and 5

Reagan, it runs clean?

nvm - I hadn't clicked link yet. My .30 is probably the favorite rifle I own. Was what I learned to shoot as a kid (after .22) and just so much history. General Motors stamp. Really cool gun just expensive to shoot. 

Edited by fattyflattie
I was lazy

Time to start making a cartridge belt to match my holster I made.

First I cut out a two inch wide and a one inch wide strap. The one inch wide strap has to be thinned out, but I didn't have the proper tools for that so I had to improvise. I used a wood planer to thin it out, which probably would have worked better had it been sharper. Still, it worked well enough. Then I stitched up a test loop on a scrap of leather.

vGTFtXpI_o.jpg

The loops a little flatter than you usually see because I didn't thin the leather out as much as I could have. It should work just fine though. I cut the thread out of my test loop and used the measurements from it for spacing and began punching holes. Lots of holes. This will be real fun the stitch. A little trimming, and I had this.

4H0ZAErA_o.jpg

After that I added some border stamping to match my holster.

2pVswgqZ_o.jpg

And that's as far as I'll get tonight.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

I just ordered a phone case from Magpul and it shipped from Colorado. It thought they moved out of state ????

Check that, I misread the shipping info. Origin was Cheyenne, WY and it is currently in Commerce City, CO.

IMG_5860.pngfrIMG_5859.pngiend just sent this to me. might be interesting to some of yall. i dont have anything for 1000 yards..

this is this saturday. i dont know exacty where mr. webster's place is but i think out by Pontotoc.

edit: rest of text came thru

Edited by llanoflash

This is probably the wrong place for serious opinions, but here goes anyway: I'm looking to sell a custom AR and not sure how to value it, so I was hoping to get some serious opinions as to what you all think it's worth. Platform is a Noveske N6 Gen 1 chainsaw upper/lower/BCG, with mostly Troy components/furniture (13" Bravo quad Battlerail, folding tritium sights, Battle Ax CQB stock, sling mounts, muzzle brake, etc.) but exceptions are Giessele 2-stage trigger (think it's the SSA), Ergo grip, BCM Gunfighter 3B charging handle, and EOTech 512. Parted out it's probably worth $1,750-$2000 give or take, I'd guess. Brand new, I think it was about $2700 before the EOTech but that was four years ago and I don't remember. There's maybe 50 rounds through it and not a scratch. I just never really used it. Noveske still sells the Gen 1 u/l and complete rifles.

What do you all think? Is it worth $2500? More? Less?

8 hours ago, AnotherLawyer said:

This is probably the wrong place for serious opinions, but here goes anyway: I'm looking to sell a custom AR and not sure how to value it, so I was hoping to get some serious opinions as to what you all think it's worth. Platform is a Noveske N6 Gen 1 chainsaw upper/lower/BCG, with mostly Troy components/furniture (13" Bravo quad Battlerail, folding tritium sights, Battle Ax CQB stock, sling mounts, muzzle brake, etc.) but exceptions are Giessele 2-stage trigger (think it's the SSA), Ergo grip, BCM Gunfighter 3B charging handle, and EOTech 512. Parted out it's probably worth $1,750-$2000 give or take, I'd guess. Brand new, I think it was about $2700 before the EOTech but that was four years ago and I don't remember. There's maybe 50 rounds through it and not a scratch. I just never really used it. Noveske still sells the Gen 1 u/l and complete rifles.

What do you all think? Is it worth $2500? More? Less?

Rules...