The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Dumb ass open carry bubblebutt bimbo in Huntsville607c0a2d86ed3f553b3625ea87586b7d.jpg

Unfortunately, I live in an area with open carry isn't socially accepted and I'd just get the cops called on me all the time.

And that's too bad. Open carrying is SO much more comfortable. As it is, I have a permanent bruise on my hip where my XD45 rubs.

8 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

The only times I seen open carry is some old timer white dude with a fancy leather owb holster with a fancy 1911 in it.

Everybody round here has revolvers. 

Saw a guy lugging around a snub nosed SW 500 on his belts a month or 2 ago

16 hours ago, Parliament said:

Unfortunately, I live in an area with open carry isn't socially accepted and I'd just get the cops called on me all the time.

And that's too bad. Open carrying is SO much more comfortable. As it is, I have a permanent bruise on my hip where my XD45 rubs.

Get yourself a Kahr CM45. Or a CW45. Considerably smaller.

Oh, some of you will recall that my kid is a soldier.  He's at school in Ft. Jackson, SC.   He's a bit of a gun nut (OK, he's a total gun nut) and he went to Palmetto State Armory today.  He said he's never, ever seen anything like it.  He said he saw a shitload of guns there that he's never seen in a gun store before. 

• Like 1

Oh, some of you will recall that my kid is a soldier.  He's at school in Ft. Jackson, SC.   He's a bit of a gun nut (OK, he's a total gun nut) and he went to Palmetto State Armory today.  He said he's never, ever seen anything like it.  He said he saw a shitload of guns there that he's never seen in a gun store before. 

Lol Columbia Met airport has a lot of DoJ, DoD and contractors going through it every day. Everytime I fly there, the flight is like 75-80% passengers going to some sort of training or to FN, so I’m sure PSA does well locally with that many gun nuts around

On 7/21/2019 at 8:46 AM, Doc Reeves said:

Everybody round here has revolvers. 

Saw a guy lugging around a snub nosed SW 500 on his belts a month or 2 ago

Only time I'd even consider OC is when at the ranch (sometimes carry because of snakes) or hog hunting.  Other than that, it's nobody's business what I'm carrying and when - and I like it that way.

As for that SW 500, got to play with a 454 Casull this weekend.  Ranch work.  Friend came to help and brought a few toys.  Ruger Super Redhawk.  Not as bad as I'd imagined for a round 4x power/kinetic energy of a 44Mag.  Put a few large dents in our steel plates that I'll be swapping out soon.  45LC rounds we then switched to were laughably light and easy to manage. 

Problem with these massive revolvers is the weight.  If I'm packing in bear country (which I have before) I'm obsessive about how much weight I'm carrying (Elk hunting both times prior). 

He also brought a Chiappa .357.  6'in barrel, stainless.  For those unfamiliar, barrels fires from the bottom of the cylinder, not the top as with traditional revolvers.  Gave it interesting balance that I really liked.  Accurate and easy to shoot.  I'm a fan now.  

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Only time I'd even consider OC is when at the ranch (sometimes carry because of snakes) or hog hunting.  Other than that, it's nobody's business what I'm carrying and when - and I like it that way.

As for that SW 500, got to play with a 454 Casull this weekend.  Ranch work.  Friend came to help and brought a few toys.  Ruger Super Redhawk.  Not as bad as I'd imagined for a round 4x power/kinetic energy of a 44Mag.  Put a few large dents in our steel plates that I'll be swapping out soon.  45LC rounds we then switched to were laughably light and easy to manage. 

Problem with these massive revolvers is the weight.  If I'm packing in bear country (which I have before) I'm obsessive about how much weight I'm carrying (Elk hunting both times prior). 

He also brought a Chiappa .357.  6'in barrel, stainless.  For those unfamiliar, barrels fires from the bottom of the cylinder, not the top as with traditional revolvers.  Gave it interesting balance that I really liked.  Accurate and easy to shoot.  I'm a fan now.  

imgur
/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png" />

Edited by Gil Bang

Your pics aren't coming through there, Dude.

I have a question for the reloaders in the group.  I’m soon to start my pup on gun training. The trainer that did her obedience gave the routine he uses, which is primer shotshells, working up the the shotgun “blanks”, then finally to a 209 primer pistol.  

The primer shotshells are expensive for the amount I’m going to be working with her.  What do I need to de-prime a hull, and reprimer?  My brother has a press but is not being helpful. I can get hulls galore and primers are $6 for 100. 

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Rcbs makes a primer tool like what you are talking about. I think Hornady does as well. The only shotgun reloading stuff I’ve seen was MEC.

All of the hand auto-prime tools I've seen (or own) are for metallic catridge reloading.  Every shotgun shell that I've ever primed was with a press.  You can find an old Mec 600 jr for $50-75 bucks or a new Lee Load-All for the same amount.

I don't know how much "primer" shotshells are but you can always just buy a case of cheap field loads and cut off the crimp and pull the shot/wad and powder.  They would be a 1 time use but for $5 a box of cheap stuff at Academy you can't go wrong.

11 hours ago, 686 said:

Fired up the reloading bench tonight and rolled some 375 Wby, 300 Wby, and 300 Win Mag. Exploring some unpublished high velocity loads with the 300’s and Hornady 212gr ELD-X. should be fun.

5a52f7c8492e745cdb89fe5661532c7d.jpg

Are you just neck sizing those?   It may just be the pic but if only neck sizing  you might be building up a donut  on the ID of the neck right near the case taper/curve.  If you have access to a ball micrometer to check neck wall thickness.  Inside neck ream if you  find this is a issue.

Also, my shoulder is glad I'm only looking at these on the internet and not firing them in a bench session.

• Like 1

I have press availability.  I just go full idiot when I start trying to look up reloading stuff. It just doesn’t click with me.   My brother reloads everything but shotgun, but he lazy. “Fuck it just spend a few hundred on the primed hulls”.   I’ll dig around YouTube see if I can find something that makes sense.  

11 hours ago, 686 said:

Fired up the reloading bench tonight and rolled some 375 Wby, 300 Wby, and 300 Win Mag. Exploring some unpublished high velocity loads with the 300’s and Hornady 212gr ELD-X. should be fun.

5a52f7c8492e745cdb89fe5661532c7d.jpg

When's the trip to Africa scheduled!  Those are a trio of big-boy rounds.  Especially that 375.  JFC, that's a monster.  

*please record you letting the air out of a pig with that!  Please, please, please!

All of the hand auto-prime tools I've seen (or own) are for metallic catridge reloading.  Every shotgun shell that I've ever primed was with a press.  You can find an old Mec 600 jr for $50-75 bucks or a new Lee Load-All for the same amount.
I don't know how much "primer" shotshells are but you can always just buy a case of cheap field loads and cut off the crimp and pull the shot/wad and powder.  They would be a 1 time use but for $5 a box of cheap stuff at Academy you can't go wrong.

Yeah I’ve never seen one for shotgun shells either. But like it’s mentioned, you can buy them fairly cheap.

When's the trip to Africa scheduled!  Those are a trio of big-boy rounds.  Especially that 375.  JFC, that's a monster.  
*please record you letting the air out of a pig with that!  Please, please, please!

I went to South Africa last year, loved it. The 375 was a big hit on that trip, more energy than a 416 outside of 100 yards and great terminal performance with that Barnes LRX. I really want to go to Namibia next.

Magnum shooting can be a little addictive once you figure out a setup that works for you. I was never a magnum shooter until I was getting myself practiced up for that trip, now I really only look forward to shooting magnums. Shooting at the ranch, I’ll take 20 rounds of something big over 20 mags of 5.56 any day.

361733105fa15d3b8072e4a2bf585418.jpg

e9a4762284cf8e640c5c03b17a0dd9bd.jpg

• Like 5

You killed Pumbaa!!!

Was he tasty?

The wild game meat is fantastic over there. The hunting outfitters take great care of their game and have the meat processed both for use at the ranches and also for sale in supermarkets. I would trade kudu for beef any day.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interested in a Burris AR-332 x3 optic?

Been mounted, never fired and sitting in a safe for over a year.

After I got a refund on my eotech 512, I purchased it with the fastfire rebate.

After building my ar10 pistol I just purchased a few vortex optics with my LEO discount, so I’m gonna try and recoup some money...

The fastfire is not included.

Collin county area ftf. $175 for anyone here cause apparently my wife threw the box away with the sun shade in it... probably throw it on TGT next week and try for $200 there.

16983a10435fd7d772812ec45f0d0ca0.jpg
39947d2884599549c210942d9310861c.jpg
3abc79ebe70e728c0cabc06226a1e95c.jpg
fd7ff92e07a44ed5d17bd8f27f621194.jpg
986a7f7015e21cefb65a50150c73880d.jpg
d27d0755861b229336b3ccfe5736392f.jpg

I suck at reticle photos.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Cody, WY a couple of weeks ago, and we stopped by the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. I checked out the gun collection (Cody Firearms Experience, IIRC) which was impressive.

One of the first exhibits I came to had a Remington Fieldmaster .22 rifle just like my dad’s, which is now mine. I graduated from a Daisy BB gun to this, so it naturally caught my eye. 

91-C8-CC1-B-4539-46-E1-AEB8-CCF3-F326656

A dad about 45 years old was taking his family on a self-guided tour, and he walked up to the display case, pointed to the Fieldmaster and proclaimed, “Now this is a pump action shotgun, probably a 12 gauge.” He proceeded to pump his imaginary gun.

I kept my mouth shut because he was trying.

• Like 1

Just got back from a 10 day road trip up through New Mexico and Colorado, flying home from Salt Lake (we rented a car one way in Houston and left it in SLC). 

For the hell of it I decided to take along a 9mm pistol locked in the glove box. Never had to use it but am glad it would have been there had I ever needed it for whatever reason. Did all the research and my LTC was reciprocal in all the states, etc etc. 

Flew home today with the unloaded and locked up gun in my checked luggage and it was a surprisingly smooth process. Told the ticket agent I needed to declare a firearm, she gave me a form to sign and  fill out and put inside my bag. I took it over to TSA with no drama - they didn't even ask to look at it. Got home tonight and it was in my bag just like I left it. 

I know, csb. Just wanted to share. I was worried it was going to be a big process and it wasn't at all. 

10 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Just got back from a 10 day road trip up through New Mexico and Colorado, flying home from Salt Lake (we rented a car one way in Houston and left it in SLC). 

For the hell of it I decided to take along a 9mm pistol locked in the glove box. Never had to use it but am glad it would have been there had I ever needed it for whatever reason. Did all the research and my LTC was reciprocal in all the states, etc etc. 

Flew home today with the unloaded and locked up gun in my checked luggage and it was a surprisingly smooth process. Told the ticket agent I needed to declare a firearm, she gave me a form to sign and  fill out and put inside my bag. I took it over to TSA with no drama - they didn't even ask to look at it. Got home tonight and it was in my bag just like I left it. 

I know, csb. Just wanted to share. I was worried it was going to be a big process and it wasn't at all. 

Profile pic checks out!

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

Finally gonna jump in the suppressor boat.

Gonna go this weekend and deal with all the tax form stuff.

So I’m guessing next summer I’ll be the proud owner of a can

Bet you won’t be. Wait times are stupid right now. I had heard they were gone hire more people to help, but evidently that didn’t happen.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:01 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Anyone interested in a Burris AR-332 x3 optic?

Been mounted, never fired and sitting in a safe for over a year.

After I got a refund on my eotech 512, I purchased it with the fastfire rebate.

After building my ar10 pistol I just purchased a few vortex optics with my LEO discount, so I’m gonna try and recoup some money...

The fastfire is not included.

Collin county area ftf. $175 for anyone here cause apparently my wife threw the box away with the sun shade in it... probably throw it on TGT next week and try for $200 there.

16983a10435fd7d772812ec45f0d0ca0.jpg
39947d2884599549c210942d9310861c.jpg
3abc79ebe70e728c0cabc06226a1e95c.jpg
fd7ff92e07a44ed5d17bd8f27f621194.jpg
986a7f7015e21cefb65a50150c73880d.jpg
d27d0755861b229336b3ccfe5736392f.jpg

I suck at reticle photos.

Sold yet? How much shipped?

CDNN has been running a sale on the Ruger SR9 17+1 pistol. I didn't need or even really want another one, but at $299.99, plus $4.99 shipping & tax, then the $25 FFL transfer, it was still $110 cheaper than the first one I bought almost 10 years ago. Ordered it on Saturday, picked it up at GT Dist. this morning.

These are nicer than their RAP and Security 9 series, IMO, and a really great value Tupperware gun. It compliments my SR45 very well, and might even replace it as my nightstand gun. Gonna get some Gold Dot +P 124 grain ammo for it. It comes with two 17 round magazines, but will order two more from Grabagun.

spacer.png

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 10:45 PM, fattyflattie said:

I have a question for the reloaders in the group.  I’m soon to start my pup on gun training. The trainer that did her obedience gave the routine he uses, which is primer shotshells, working up the the shotgun “blanks”, then finally to a 209 primer pistol.  

The primer shotshells are expensive for the amount I’m going to be working with her.  What do I need to de-prime a hull, and reprimer?  My brother has a press but is not being helpful. I can get hulls galore and primers are $6 for 100. 

I know I'm a month late but the easiest option is to have a partner help you and start the dog a way back when the bumper is thrown and the gun goes off.  Just gradually move closer and it won't be a problem

Ed, that’s the plan.  But she’s on the timid side and I don’t want to do anything to make it worse.  So working at distance and light loads should do the trick. What I need to do is pony up the cash and put her thru her trainers hunting program. He did an outstanding job with her obedience training.