The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 9/19/2019 at 2:01 PM, Gladeite said:

I have the Shield RMSc on my 365.   Really helps with accuracy.   Not very quick on dot pick up though.  I "hear" the xl has a different grip angle?  

At 15 yards my RMR'd Gen 5 19 is much more accurate.  

I got a trijicon rmr from the wife a year ago for my bday and I popped it in my HK .45  and now that it’s dialed in it just not fair. It’s just incredibly easy to identify, draw and sight practically without thinking. 

15y

C5473E8B-B1DE-4A19-9F3A-56C9EF1D79D4.jpeg

Issue:

Remington 1187 Super Magnum, 12 ga.  I have had it for over 20 years now & only recently started using it again; I had a limited availability to shoot & now have gotten the time & opportunities to go out.  The problem is in finding appropriate loads.  This gun apparently takes High Brass & "High Velocity" or "Max Dram" are the same thing.  A "regular" dove, waterfowl or skeet load won't cycle through & I get a shell hung up to where I have to take off the stock, barrel & plug so the unused shells will come forward through the plug tube.

I ordered some Fiocchi Waterfowl 3" 1-1/8oz. #3 Steel Shot Ammo & also Browning Dove & Clay 2-3/4" 1oz. #8 Shot Ammo, both from AmmoToGo.com.

The rep I spoke to said both qualified as the type that would cycle correctly... shells arrived in perfect order... took both boxes out back for some shots & the Fiocchi does fine.  Tested well, went through 1/2 a box & not really any need to go further.

The Browning shells?  Locked upon the 1st shot.  I was short on time, so after I disassembled, removed the fouled shell & reassembled, I had other shit to do.  I will go after a totally different box & try that out, but I'm not feeling confident.

Bottom line: it is difficult to get High Brass type shoot-gun shells. Not @ Academy, anyway.

Thoughts, other than me doing my own reloads?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Finished my first powder horn to go with my Great Plains Rifle. Still gotta make a strap for it.

spacer.png

Closer shot of my crappy first attempt at scrimshaw

spacer.png

The file work on the tip

spacer.png

And the plug and staple. 

spacer.png

Made entirely with hand tools, but I did use modern glues and I started with a predrilled horn.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

What's the specifics on a "Special Purpose" Mag?

Originally - Low gloss wood, matte finish on receiver and barrel.

3" until the 3 1/2" came out then variations on that too.

Duck hunters gun before camouflage synthetic stocks became the norm. 

Also make some Special Purpose 870's as the Marine Magnum version which are nickle to fight corrosion.

Suggestions on an "OK" gun cabinet?

I already use MasterLock combo locks for all my guns + a shotgun cable lock for my 30-30 lever action.

I'm in the hunt for something that will merely slow someone down but not be too heavy to move when the time comes to shift locations.

Generic price point you have paid?

2c96180c30784a115377519b8e66a95e.jpg

I would just go for a cheapie gun safe from academy or wherever when they go on sale. A small one isn't that much trouble to move, and at least gives you a little more measure of security.

I’ve always heard a bunch of people buy the cheapie ones and put like a .22 and ammo in it while placing it in an obvious bedroom closet. As a hey look at me in a break-in situation.

For me, I have a pier and beam house so I’d kinda like to see if a floor safe could be some kind of option...

Very few RSCs are going survive a attack by skilled person with lots of time.   What they will do is deter the quick, smash and grab burglaries and keep out persons (kids, etc) that are not supposed to have access.    The higher the quality, the more time it buys.   

The best place for one is in a exterior wall corner with the hinge side to the room.  This prevents a prybar against the non-hinged side.  Bolt it down to the slab to keep from being tipped over which gives an attacker to ability to apply lots of leverage to pry open the door.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Shot both again today, Fiocchi did fine.

Browning f'd up again, however I _was_ able to manually cycle the shells vs. a total lockup like before.

I need a lower priced skeet round that won't cause me problems with this gun.

I would clean and lube the gun really well as a first check.  Almost every cycle problems I've seen with a shotgun is related to clean/lube issues.  Look up on youtube  or get the owners manual off the Remington website if you don't have it. 

Then try a couple of different 2 3/4", 1 or 1 1/8 oz field load  and see what happens after you clean it.  Just go to Academy and by a box of each to see.

Also, off of Wikipedia :

Some 11-87 shotguns, especially those with barrels shorter than 26", or Magnum models, may have issues cycling light target and birdshot loads consistently. The 12 gauge 3-1/2" SuperMag and 20 gauge Magnum models come with an extra component on the magazine tube called a "barrel seal activator" that helps cycle lighter loads. Failure to remove the barrel seal activator before firing 2 3/4" magnum, 3", and 3 1/2" loads may bring pressure to dangerous levels which could damage the gun.

If this barrel seal activator has been removed from your gun,  if might not cycle light loads.  Do some research on this and it may solve your problem.  Kind of sucks to have a gas gun that you have to change a part to use light or heavy loads.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

For the sake of expedition, I'm doing a copy / pasta of the email I sent back to AmmoToGo.com.
. . . . . .
Robert,

I had the gun into a well regarded gunsmith located in Austin, Hank Fleming, & retrieved it from him approx. 1 week prior to placing my order with A.T.G.  Y'all are welcome to check with him to confirm.  I had been told that it is possible that the seals were in need of attention & this is what prompted me to bring the gun to him.  512.445.6339 (only answers the phone or accepts work on Monday & Wednesday).

Hank said "No problems found @ all, have it a deep cleaning. All you need is High Brass." [That'll be $ 138, sucka.]

I did not run any ammunition through the gun after picking up from Hank & prior to receiving your shipment. 

When I called & placed my order, the specific conversation was about "High Brass" & the A.T.G. representative made specific recommendations based on those needs, hence my order for 2 different products, (1), Fiocchi, for waterfowl & (1), Browning, for what he said was skeet / trap & an added bonus of the product being appropriate for dove.

After my test shots last week when I called (hopefully there are notes), I ran a BoreSnake through the gun & thoroughly cleaned the breech, minus a full "pin removal" teardown.  This DID include a barrel removal once back to my cleaning station & rest.

If the Fiocci operates as intended (tested 2×), I don't see any need to try the Browning in a different 12 ga. auto, however I can ask some friends if they have one I can test out on.

I do understand the nature of ammunition sales; no retailer typically accepts any returns on ammo, even if you change your mind while standing @ the register & have 2 seconds prior completed your transaction & payment.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

ROFL the Boxx

On 9/23/2019 at 4:48 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Suggestions on an "OK" gun cabinet?

On 9/23/2019 at 8:51 PM, fattyflattie said:

6-7 years ago I bought the $700-ish 48 gun Canon that tractor supply sells every Black Friday.  Zero complaints.  Need to get another in the next year or two. 

This. I bought a Winchester safe at TS last year and I love it. It was $300 off and I paid a tad over $500

I haven’t visited my winter home in the mountains yet. 1% pics coming once Jeeves drops me off from the private airport.

Edit: rocking a Winchester 20? gun rsc in the garage. I need to get a smaller bio type safe for the bedroom to hold two different ltc type pistols. Any suggestions? Bump in the night duty goes to 300bo 10.5” pistol with can if I can find a way to secure from children.

10 hours ago, davidg said:

I'm kind of disappointed the Surly 1%ers haven't dropped some pics of their walk-in vaults with rows of Purdeys and custom safari guns inside. SMH

I actually had architectural plans for a vault in the new house we were going to build and then we decided that the construction estimates were too expensive and we tabled the project because we are poors. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

17 hours ago, davidg said:

I'm kind of disappointed the Surly 1%ers haven't dropped some pics of their walk-in vaults with rows of Purdeys and custom safari guns inside. SMH

I only know 1 person with a setup like this (a true high end type) but he is aggy .01% and I’m certain doesn’t post here. It’s pimp af tho. Should be full of  Westley Richards, but I’d venture to guess it’s probably full of Rem 783’s.  Because aggy. 

• Like 1

I have an old Rem Model 7 in .223 that my father bought me when I was 9.  I am planning to rebuild it for my son...and have a question for the Surly hive.  I want to do the basics, like a trigger job and true the action...but would like opinions on a barrel change.  Would you stick with .223, or go .223 AI, or perhaps 300 BO?

I like the ease of finding ammo for .223, but find myself going in circles when I start dreaming about the improved rounds. One thing I like about 300 BO, is the possibility of going subsonic.  I am looking for some practical feedback on utility of the varying rounds, as well as how folks have deployed them and whether they are satisfied with those scenarios.  Also...kid friendliness of said improved rounds?  Appreciate any feedback / thoughts to help guide this build, as it is an important rifle to me with a lot of good memories that I hope to pass down to the little man.

If it's important to pass down, I would keep it as close to it was when you had it.  As needed, a stock refinish, barrel re-blue, trigger job, new optics and recoil pad would be my options.   That, a stack of good ammo and the opportunity to shoot it is where I would focus to build memories.

• Like 2

If it's important to pass down, I would keep it as close to it was when you had it.  As needed, a stock refinish, barrel re-blue, trigger job, new optics and recoil pad would be my options.   That, a stack of good ammo and the opportunity to shoot it is where I would focus to build memories.

This. You can buy a new 300blk and have two guns.

14 hours ago, Izhmash said:

I have an old Rem Model 7 in .223 that my father bought me when I was 9.  I am planning to rebuild it for my son...and have a question for the Surly hive.  I want to do the basics, like a trigger job and true the action...but would like opinions on a barrel change.  Would you stick with .223, or go .223 AI, or perhaps 300 BO?

I like the ease of finding ammo for .223, but find myself going in circles when I start dreaming about the improved rounds. One thing I like about 300 BO, is the possibility of going subsonic.  I am looking for some practical feedback on utility of the varying rounds, as well as how folks have deployed them and whether they are satisfied with those scenarios.  Also...kid friendliness of said improved rounds?  Appreciate any feedback / thoughts to help guide this build, as it is an important rifle to me with a lot of good memories that I hope to pass down to the little man.

Verify the twist rate first.  If tight enough, you can stabilize heavier grain bullets (60-72gr), which are perfectly fine for most any Texas deer and equally effective on varmints, pigs, etc.  The round is efficient enough to do the job, provided the shooter does their part.  Nor is there any recoil.  These two factors are PERFECT for a young hunter (mine started on and continues to use a 22-250).  Larger rounds can hide and/or overcome bad shot placement and the recoil can make them 'flinchy'.  Same thought process of starting a bird hunter on a single-shot shotgun.  Or a single-shot 22lr.  They have to maximize the shots that they have.  Pay an equal amount of attention on the glass.  It will make all the difference.  

If you really want to take a step up, .243 or 260 Rem is damn near perfect

30082d1419031238-223-barrel-length-barre

SGammo is a great place to buy ammo over the internet.

They have a lot of stock and very good prices.  Shipping is by weight and your cart tells you how much you can add before your rate goes up.  I have never had an order not ship next business day.  Downside, place is in OK.  Upside, no Texas sales tax.  I used to shop around with gunbot and ammoseek but they have been my default for years now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hozz said:

SGammo is a great place to buy ammo over the internet.

They have a lot of stock and very good prices.  Shipping is by weight and your cart tells you how much you can add before your rate goes up.  I have never had an order not ship next business day.  Downside, place is in OK.  Upside, no Texas sales tax.  I used to shop around with gunbot and ammoseek but they have been my default for years now.

I buy a lot from them, too. Shipping is very very reasonable compared to a lot of mail order places. 

And they are in Stillwater, so that's marginally better. 

On 9/24/2019 at 5:45 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Thanks for the info.

For the sake of expedition, I'm doing a copy / pasta of the email I sent back to AmmoToGo.com.
. . . . . .
Robert,

I had the gun into a well regarded gunsmith located in Austin, Hank Fleming, & retrieved it from him approx. 1 week prior to placing my order with A.T.G.  Y'all are welcome to check with him to confirm.  I had been told that it is possible that the seals were in need of attention & this is what prompted me to bring the gun to him.  512.445.6339 (only answers the phone or accepts work on Monday & Wednesday).

Hank said "No problems found @ all, have it a deep cleaning. All you need is High Brass." [That'll be $ 138, sucka.]

I did not run any ammunition through the gun after picking up from Hank & prior to receiving your shipment. 

When I called & placed my order, the specific conversation was about "High Brass" & the A.T.G. representative made specific recommendations based on those needs, hence my order for 2 different products, (1), Fiocchi, for waterfowl & (1), Browning, for what he said was skeet / trap & an added bonus of the product being appropriate for dove.

After my test shots last week when I called (hopefully there are notes), I ran a BoreSnake through the gun & thoroughly cleaned the breech, minus a full "pin removal" teardown.  This DID include a barrel removal once back to my cleaning station & rest.

If the Fiocci operates as intended (tested 2×), I don't see any need to try the Browning in a different 12 ga. auto, however I can ask some friends if they have one I can test out on.

I do understand the nature of ammunition sales; no retailer typically accepts any returns on ammo, even if you change your mind while standing @ the register & have 2 seconds prior completed your transaction & payment.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

ROFL the Boxx

Should not need high brass.

Could be a few things, dirty gun creating more resistance, bad seals venting too much gas, or a still return spring that needs to be broken in. If I thought about it or looked at it I could probably come up with other things.

30 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Should not need high brass.

Could be a few things, dirty gun creating more resistance, bad seals venting too much gas, or a still return spring that needs to be broken in. If I thought about it or looked at it I could probably come up with other things.

Hank Fleming looked it over & said all he did was give it a solid, deep cleaning & also said "This gun has to use 'high brass' - that's your problem."