The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 10/15/2019 at 11:23 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Starting to make some comparisons & will look in around 3 weeks to see what price drops are out there.  I imagine in this price point there's probably gonna be max $ 75.00 off.

As noted before, I've got enough longarms for this size, a 16 & under.

1st up is the Stack-On Steel, pricing is around $ 370 to $ 400.... Academy is the lower price @ the moment.  The Academy site says "Ships for $ 149" (let's call it $ 150) & I don't know if that's an added cost to every safe or if you want a direct 3rd party consignee they add the one-fitty.

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoors/shooting/gun-storage--safety/gun--safes/gun-safes?facet=ads_f37009_ntk_cs%3A"Under+24"&facet=product_prc_facet%3A"6"

stack-on-gun-safes-ss-16-mb-b-64_1000.jpSS-16-MB-C_RF-Open_1024x1024.jpg?v=15623

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next we have a Winchester 12 gun for $ 400.00.

Tractor Supply:  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-12-gun-ts12-30

1360472?$456$

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Didn't find this as an "in store" from the Cabela's site, but it does show up on the Bass Pro page, another $ 400 product.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-mechanical-lock-10-gun-safe

s7_231183_imageset_01?wid=300&hei=230&op

15113d58-6b1a-555b-b9ed-5aa348614a94

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, discussion?

I’ve handled the Winchester, TSC has good deals on Black Friday for them.  The door comes off to help move (greatly reduces weight) if you decide you need a bigger one (you do).  Stack on has poor reputation.  Pro Vault is well thought of for their beside safes, really highly regarded actually. I’m thinking about getting that Winchester for a second safe in my bedroom closet for the ones with real nice wood, the safequeens as it were. 

On 10/16/2019 at 11:13 AM, BabaYaga said:

They're also not that hard to move, provided you have a friend.  We just used a furniture dolly, then is slid on the carpet in the bedroom closet easily. 

Sheeeeeeiiiit.  My 54 gun safe door flung open while me and a friend were moving it one cold Friday AM after Thanksgiving. Still hung over and sleepy from getting the damn thing, tired from getting it out of the bed (somehow); I guess I wasn’t paying close enough attention.  Anyhow, as the door flung open, the safe tilted then shot that little dolly out from under it. I can’t believe it didn’t crack my sidewalk or kill my buddy. We regrouped, got it inside, and got it in its final position.  It’s going to be sold with the house...  We are getting hardwood in the first story In the next 2 weeks and I have to move it. Godammit.   *i understand it’s not a “safe”. 

4 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Anyone in the area with kids should grab that NEF 410 for $150. Think they're tits up and no longer making that very handy, snake killing / kid training firearm.

I have one of their 20 ga’s that was long ago relegated to barn duty.  I have several Wbys that kick less than that mule. A .410 would be sweet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve handled the Winchester, TSC has good deals on Black Friday for them.  The door comes off to help move (greatly reduces weight) if you decide you need a bigger one (you do).  Stack on has poor reputation.  Pro Vault is well thought of for their beside safes, really highly regarded actually. I’m thinking about getting that Winchester for a second safe in my bedroom closet for the ones with real nice wood, the safequeens as it were. 

Sheeeeeeiiiit.  My 54 gun safe door flung open while me and a friend were moving it one cold Friday AM after Thanksgiving. Still hung over and sleepy from getting the damn thing, tired from getting it out of the bed (somehow); I guess I wasn’t paying close enough attention.  Anyhow, as the door flung open, the safe tilted then shot that little dolly out from under it. I can’t believe it didn’t crack my sidewalk or kill my buddy. We regrouped, got it inside, and got it in its final position.  It’s going to be sold with the house...  We are getting hardwood in the first story In the next 2 weeks and I have to move it. Godammit.   *i understand it’s not a “safe”. 

My house is on a hill that slopes down to a lake, so you have to navigate steps down just to get to my front porch. I ordered my 51 gun safe off Amazon and had it delivered to my driveway, but there was no way I was going to be able to get all 935 pounds of it down the steps without having to add french doors to cover the hole. I ended up spending $300 to have a safe company come out and put it in the house for me. They had a fancy dolly that could basically walk down stairs. Probably saved me some money, and they probably regretted not asking for more.

18 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

They wanted $ 120 for that plastic Plinkster 2 over to the L, that damn thing only retails for $ 130 new.

Offered $ 100 put the door, ca$h, they countered w/ $ 110+ TTL.

Walked.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Did you get the scattergun?  My dad still uses his Wingmaster that he bought when he graduated college in 1971.  I have one too, that I bought when I graduated high school in 1997.  My dad's is a classic firearm.  There's a balance and feel to it that mine doesn't have, even though it's several decades newer.  

There used to be a day when I thought my 12 gauge 870 wingmaster was the perfect dove gun. Now it sleeps in my safe and I've moved on to a 20 gauge 1100. That big pump gun feels like a cannon in comparison. Also doesn't help that is has a fixed modified choke, which makes it less versatile. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

There used to be a day when I thought my 12 gauge 870 wingmaster was the perfect dove gun. Now it sleeps in my safe and I've moved on to a 20 gauge 1100. That big pump gun feels like a cannon in comparison. Also doesn't help that is has a fixed modified choke, which makes it less versatile. 

Lol.  I broke my fixed choke 870 out last season.  It's a beast.  Didn't help that I ran out of shells and borrowed buddies extra high-brass.  Those shells.  That gun.  Felt like an AA emplacement.  

I've moved on to my old 20g Browing B-80 for the most part.  

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Lol.  I broke my fixed choke 870 out last season.  It's a beast.  Didn't help that I ran out of shells and borrowed buddies extra high-brass.  Those shells.  That gun.  Felt like an AA emplacement.  

I've moved on to my old 20g Browing B-80 for the most part.  

I did a charity sporting clays tournament in the cold 20 mph north wind at GHGC this morning. Almost all of the presentations were high peakers that were blowing all over the place once they cleared the trees and all I had was my skeet gun with 20 gauge tubes and an IC in one barrel and IS in the other. I was seriously undergunned and spent most of the day wishing for a 12 gauge with tighter chokes. That old 870 of mine would have actually been a good choice for once. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 1:08 PM, thestud said:

Dad tells me stories of pawn shop firearm finds back in the 80’s and 90’s. Evidently Pawn shops aren’t what they used to be. I went into one a couple years ago looking for a cheap throw down weed eater for the farm. They had it used for $15 more than brand new a half mile down the road at Higginbotham’s. I laughed and walked out just like you did.

The internet killed most of the pawn shop gun deals (along with other special items).  In the 80's and 90's, if you knew what to look for you could find some absolute steals and even walk out with some really valuable stuff.

1) Sellers of nice weapons can now easily get an idea of the value......no more widows walking in with rare or classic guns wrapped in bed sheets wanting to get a few bucks for "these old guns my husband had in the closet".

2) Similarly, pawn shop owners now can easily identify what they get in and quickly price it to market based on a simple search of gunbroker, etc.  In the old days they guessed on a lot of things or didn't pay close attention to the gun values catalogs we used to have.  They'd miss identify the age or series of a lot of guns and price them too low.

A lot of pawn shops run their inventory simultaneously on line and in the shop, so they have the values down pat.....even higher than market or new in some cases because they do the layaway deals and bake that into the price.

Live auctions (in person or online) are where the deals are now.

Last night i picked up a 1940's Remington A5 (Browning Patent) 16ga with a Polychoke for $200 including buyers premium.  Gun is probably still 85-90% .

You have to be selective and know what you'd be willing to pay in advance, but a lot of guns slip through the cracks in those auctions vs. when they sit there for days or weeks in Gunbroker.

I’ve bought my last 10+ guns on gunbroker and others.  I’m very (maybe too) particular about the wood on my long guns, so that works best for me.  Also, the sheer amount of volume on the sites help.  When I buy, the plan is to keep for life (or to hand down later in life) so paying $100 premium on a $1500-3500 rifle that has the wood I want, makes the premium minimal to me. 

Yeah- I use gunbroker plenty.  But, I like to scour the estate auctions on line and mark special items of interest and then watch them.... I find some nice collectible pieces there.  But, if I have something specific in mind Gunbroker is damn near guaranteed to have it and have it priced at FMV. 

Back in the early 90's I stumbled on a pawn shop deal. Gun was tagged as a 30.06 but on closer inspection it was an 8mm Mauser K98. They wanted $125 but I jewed them down to $100 and throw in a gun case. I still giggle when I think about it.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Back in the early 90's I stumbled on a pawn shop deal. Gun was tagged as a 30.06 but on closer inspection it was an 8mm Mauser K98. They wanted $125 but I jewed them down to $100 and throw in a gun case. I still giggle when I think about it.

Paid $250 for my 1940 mostly matching Russian capture in the early 00’s and still can’t believe I found it for that price at the time. Though passing on a mint SS sniper model with a Zeiss scope for $1850 still gives me heart palpitations.

• 2 weeks later...

WTF is an "off roster" gun?

By FRED SHUSTER, City News Service

Two veteran Gardena Police Department officers participated in a scheme in which they purchased “off-roster” firearms not available to the general public and illegally resold the weapons for profit, a prosecutor told a downtown Los Angeles jury today, but a defense lawyer countered that at least one of the men didn’t realize he was doing anything illegal.

Carlos Miguel Fernandez, 43, of Norwalk, and Edward Yasushiro Arao, 48, of Eastvale face federal charges alleging they conspired to sell about 100 weapons — mostly Colt .38-caliber pistols — without a license.

“Their job was to uphold the law and keep communities safe,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Veronica Dragalin told the jury, alleging that instead, the two officers “used their status to break the law.”

Prosecutors allege Fernandez advertised guns offered by himself, Arao and others on his Instagram account. Arao, who was the CEO of Ronin Tactical Group, a federal firearms licensee, similarly advertised guns on his company’s account, the indictment alleges.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office also contends that both 17-year veterans of the Gardena police force marketed firearms at gun shows although neither defendant was licensed to engage in the business of firearms dealing at the time of the offenses alleged in the indictment.

“Off-roster” handguns are not available to the general public, but can be legally purchased by law enforcement officers.

In his opening statement, Arao’s attorney Ed Robinson alleged that evidence would prove his client innocent.

“He did not know or believe he was violating federal law,” Robinson said.

Attorneys for Fernandez reserved their opening statement for later in the trial.

RELATED ARTICLES

Through messages on Instagram and other means, Fernandez and Arao negotiated the prices and terms of the sales, and accepted payment for the guns once they were delivered, according to prosecutors.

The indictment also alleges that Oscar Morales Camacho Sr., 64, of Salinas, falsely certified that he was purchasing a firearm for himself in a 2017 private-party transfer, when he in fact was buying the gun for his son, Oscar Maravilla Camacho Jr., 35, also of Salinas.

Camacho Jr. has a prior criminal conviction that prohibits him from possessing firearms. The indictment alleges that Fernandez and both Camachos “well knew (that) defendant Camacho Sr. was not the actual buyer of the firearm.”

The indictment also alleges a second “straw purchaser” transaction in which a South Los Angeles woman purchased two firearms for her boyfriend. As in the other straw purchase alleged in the indictment, Bianca Elizabeth Ibarria, 24, and Adalberto deJesus Vasquez Pelayo Jr., 25, also of South Los Angeles, are charged with making a false statement in a federal firearm licensee’s records during purchase of a firearm.

Each count in the indictment carries a penalty of up to five years in federal prison. If convicted of all charges, Fernandez would face up to 15 years and Arao could be sentenced to as much as 10 years behind bars, prosecutors said.

When the officers were charged last year, the then-Gardena police chief said the two men were immediately placed on administrative leave, and the department cooperated fully during the investigation.

A call to the city’s interim police chief to check on the current status of Fernandez and Arao was not immediately returned.

I would guess they are department issued guns that were retired from use and stored.

The disposition policies for such firearms vary from city to city or state to state. Some departments trade them in to licensed dealers/distributors. Buds Guns sells a lot of them online, and so does GT Distributors to name a couple.

Off roster gun is a Cali. term for non-approved guns out there.....they now have a roster of approved or Cali-compliant guns.

There are ways to buy/sell/trade  them legally in private party sales, especially for LEOs, but these guys turned it into a business and ran afoul of a lot of laws.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 3

Off roster gun is a Cali. term for non-approved guns out there.....they now have a roster of approved or Cali-compliant guns.
There are ways to buy/sell/trade  them legally in private party sales, especially for LEOs, but these guys turned it into a business and ran afoul of a lot of laws.

It’s commiefornia. This is the correct answer. Fuck California.
  • Like 5