The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 11/12/2019 at 8:36 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Could also be a model that isn’t available to the general public and is only sold to licensed LEO’s. 

But Brat’s probably closer to the truth seeing that they were “mostly 38’s”. Those are old school cop guns right there. 

Yep.  It's an ever contracting list as the state makes it more and more difficult to remain on it.  Take the new micro-stamping requirements (new semi-automatic firearms sold in California must have the capability to permanently stamp shell casings fired through the gun with an identifying mark).  

It takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to pivot each time the state sends out more requirements.  Research and Development, Engineering, tooling, equipment changes, training, testing, etc. They have to redesign a gun to meet the CA "safety" requirements. You can also include having to manufacture (or source) neutered magazines if the non CA model holds more than 10 rounds. Once all this is done and they are ready to submit for testing, I believe they have to send 2 of each model which are not returned.  It's a giant shake down by the state.  A passive ban via unnecessary regulations.  Once it gets to zero.  Or the bio metric technology requirements that we know are coming are no longer cost effective....then there you go.  

17 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Scored a mint condition used Superior safe the other day from a guy moving out of state. It's the Master 40 model, 49 gun capacity.

This thing is a beast, weighs over 1000 lbs. I highly recommend it. Rock solid compared to the cheap cabinets sold at retail stores.
a2c66dcd7bd209a291e48c4b318d2124.jpg

Seems to be a lot of room for more handguns.

Just sayin’.

• Like 1

I moved my 48 gun Canon out of the office and into the garage so we could have the floors redone. Then back in yesterday without dinging the floors at all. That’s at 845#. I couldn’t imagine over 1000#. 

About to do that as well, not looking forward to moving that beast, twice.

REALLY not looking forward to the wifey asking where all the extra guns game from but there’s no way I’m going to be able to move it without emptying it first.

1 hour ago, Flg8rfan said:

REALLY not looking forward to the wifey asking where all the extra guns game from but there’s no way I’m going to be able to move it without emptying it first.

I’ve added five (5)! very unique, (stocks highly figured) rifles since the last one she “knew” about. She made a comment, “I didn’t know you had so many rifles”. Then just shrugged it and walked off.  So, I’m safe? It’s all packed back up and I’m not moving that bitch again, it can go with the house for all I care. 

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve added five (5)! very unique, (stocks highly figured) rifles since the last one she “knew” about. She made a comment, “I didn’t know you had so many rifles”. Then just shrugged it and walked off.  So, I’m safe? It’s all packed back up and I’m not moving that bitch again, it can go with the house for all I care. 

Patrick McManus explained this in one of his columns (or book) a long time ago:

"It is a well known fact that nice rifles, such as 03s, when left in close proximity, such as a gun cabinet or safe, will somehow multiply. The offspring will look similiar, but not identical, to the parents.

This is not conjecture, it is fact, and my wife can bear witness. I will occasionally open one of the cabinets, and to my amazement find a new rifle. She has witnessed this on many occasions.

So, if this happens to you, or your wife gets upset at the appearance of a new rifle, just remind her that this is nothing more than nature at work, and nothing that does not happen to teenagers all the time."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In may have told this story up thread already. My dad is friends with an estate auctioneer who also sells off large collections. Every so often he'll get a call from a widow who says "I just want to get rid of all his darn guns."

So he goes, takes a look and gives her an informal appraisal. It's a quarter million dollars of all kinds of stuff he gathered up over 50 years. Quite a funeral gift for the lady.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

It's a quarter million dollars of all kinds of stuff he gathered up over 50 years.

Yeah I’ll never be able to touch that, but I’d like to have enough to pass several to the future SIL’s and grandkids.  

That’s a great story. Glad some vulture didn’t sweep in and offer her 10k on the spot to “help them off her hands” 

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

In may have told this story up thread already. My dad is friends with an estate auctioneer who also sells off large collections. Every so often he'll get a call from a widow who says "I just want to get rid of all his darn guns."

So he goes, takes a look and gives her an informal appraisal. It's a quarter million dollars of all kinds of stuff he gathered up over 50 years. Quite a funeral gift for the lady.

sell-guns.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Same goes for 1911s and single action revolvers. Damn rabbits they are.

Buddy's dad up around Jackson Hole, WY.  SIX giant gun safes.  Filled these days with a ton of original Colt SA's.  He has more than one pair of paired Colt's with matching serial numbers.  Worth about what you'd pay for a small car.  Crazy.  Every grand-kid got their own 1st Gen Colt .22lr in it's own case and owners cert.  Pretty neat.   

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Sounds pretty awesome. Does he post on the best Colt forum?

Coltforum.com

Lots of real Colt experts there including the former Custom Shop manager.

Not sure.  He's a character, that's for sure.  Used to ride in the Rose Bowl parade - they'd do those cowboy reenactments with blanks.  Rebuilds old tractors and cannons as a hobby.  Guy worked for Exxon for 30+ years.  Was helping a friend rebuild his '73 Bronco.  His pops comes in.  Any part we're having issues with - he's just machine it or modify what we have to make it work.  Guy's a wizard when it comes to machining and manufacturing.  

Gave my friend a small cannon years back that we hauled back in his truck.  We were going to try and kill something with it (grapeshot) but never could make it happen

Hold my beer...

*about this size below

The_cannon.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, thestud said:

Given how much shit I caught in high school from the sheriff about my potato gun being considered a pipe bomb by the ATF, I’m pretty sure they’d like to bury you under the jail.

Haha.  He has many larger ones.  His biggest, that has it's own trailer.  He brings to the local HS to fire at kickoff, TD's, etc.  

From what I've been told, black powder cannons are perfectly legal (minus exploding shells.  Considered a muzzle-loader).  I know a few Civil War buffs that also have them.  I wasn't there, and that have known the Warden for years, but he said when we saw it at their place - he just wanted to see it shoot.  Said it was pretty neat and to "be careful".  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Is this true?  Asking for a friend.   I also built some lemon and orange guns when I was you as we had some citrus trees.  Potato gun, what a dangerous idea. 

If you are using propulsion other than compressed air - yes.

Compressed air models like we used to use to launch shark / bull red bait off the beach aren't an issue unless you re-purposing them to destroy property.  Then you just get charged with dipshittery.  Add something that burns or goes boom and the ATF might take an interest.

Looking into it, it a sort of grey area. The ATF doesn't seem to be too concerned if it is clearly not a weapon, but when you start designing it to shoot something other than potatoes (flaming tennis balls, etc.) they definitely consider it to be a destructive device. Also, they meet the definition of a firearm in Texas.

42 minutes ago, thestud said:

I’m a fireman. I work pretty closely with our fire marshal who also happens to be the lead EOD tech. I asked him about it a couple years ago and I got a wide eyed stare back from him and he flatly said “that’s a pipe bomb and a bad idea”.

I’m not saying I agree with it, but that’s just what I’ve been told by two different law enforcement agents that are 200 miles apart from each other. So maybe just be careful where you’re shooting your spud gun and who you do it around. Hell I may or may not still have mine....3’ chamber and 4’ barrel, that fucker could chunk a tater farrrrrrrrr

What if.....hypothetically of course.  A young lad may or may not have entered into some rather epic bottle-rocket wars in the woods.  Using opposing forts made from old plywood.  Get in trouble for this?

Sed hooligan may have stole handfuls of nails from pops, used his grinder to make a flat, chisel-point and duct tape them to the larger rockets.....which when launched via a 2-man "bazooka team" would impale themselves in the plywood of the opposing forces and scare the hell out of everyone....

As a fireman, with EOD experience.  Can we get a call here?  Hypothetically of course....and if not, can we move on to muriatic acid and foil bombs in plastic bottles and pipe bombs from left over black powder?

Edited by BabaYaga

1 minute ago, thestud said:

Probably wouldn’t get in any more trouble than the goobers that threw a half dozen dry-ice bombs in a friends front yard without his knowledge. So when they went off, he freaked and called the cops. Well the big dry-ice bomb in the Gatorade bottle went off about the time two cops were walking up the driveway to the house. Pretty sure they’d like to have a word with those knuckleheads...if of course that were a true story

LOL, best friend in LE in Florence, AL and on the SWAT team.  Stories he's told.  Man.  From the old, drunk  guy that shot his TV and then at his wife who ran into the room when 'Bama lost.  To a Korean vet with a live grenade (from that era) they had to wrap det-cord around and blow in the back yard of the trailer park (pin had been pulled, fuse deteriorated , thank god).  Fun stories.  

1 minute ago, thestud said:

I’ve been a fireman for 7 years. I’ve run 4 live grenade calls. It’s the same story. Every. Damn. Time. Grandpa kicked the bucket and kids/grandkids are going through all his shit and whaddya know, live grenade! So instead of maybe holding on to it and not telling a soul, they put it in the car and drive down to the local PD station. They walk right in and set it on the front desk all proud as shit. 4 hours and a two block evacuation later, shit goes boom in the parking in a controlled demo.

From what he told me, it was worse.  Kids found it.  Pulled the pin.  Threw it (flat, open area).  Covered their ears.  Nothing happened, went back in and asked why it wasn't working.  Neighbor called police.  Rural area, brought in the little robot with the arm.  Dug a hole.  Wrapped in cord, dropped in hole.  Boom.

Scary.  

2 hours ago, thestud said:

I’m a fireman. I work pretty closely with our fire marshal who also happens to be the lead EOD tech. I asked him about it a couple years ago and I got a wide eyed stare back from him and he flatly said “that’s a pipe bomb and a bad idea”.

I’m not saying I agree with it, but that’s just what I’ve been told by two different law enforcement agents that are 200 miles apart from each other. So maybe just be careful where you’re shooting your spud gun and who you do it around. Hell I may or may not still have mine....3’ chamber and 4’ barrel, that fucker could chunk a tater farrrrrrrrr

From the ATF website:

"Any person desiring a classification of a “potato gun,” “spud gun” or similar device must submit a written request (not e-mail) to the Director and include a complete and accurate description of the device, the name and address of the manufacturer or importer, the purpose for which it is intended, and such photographs, diagrams, or drawings as may be necessary to make a classification. A final determination may require physical examination of the device. Such requests for classification should be submitted to: Bureau of ATF, Firearms Technology Branch."

Previously, they said this in a letter:

"Department of the Treasury

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms

Washington, DC 20226

As defined in section 921(a) (3) of Title 18, United States Code (USC) the term "firearm" means --

• (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
  • (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
  • (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
  • (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

As defined in 26 USC subsection 5845(f) (2) the term destructive device includes any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellent, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term 'destructive device' shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the USC; or any other device which the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.

It is unlawful for anyone to make or possess a destructive device which is not registered in accordance with the provisions of the National Firearms Act.

We have previously examined that certain muzzle loading devices known as "potato guns." These potato guns are constructed from PVC plastic tubing. They use hair spray or a similar aerosol substance for a propellant, and have some type of spark ignitor. We have determined that these devices, as described, are not firearms provided that they are used solely for launching potatoes for recreational purposes. However, any such devices which are used as weapons or used to launch other forms of projectiles may be firearms and destructive devices as defined.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms

Firearms Technology Branch, Room 6450

650 Massachusetts Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20226

Sincerely yours,

(signature)

Curtis H. A. Bartlett Acting Chief, Firearms Technology Branch"

So, it looks like it could be a destructive device, but it could also not be depending on the design, and anybody who is worried about it can write the ATF to seek clarification. 

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Hypothetically of course....and if not, can we move on to muriatic acid and foil bombs in plastic bottles and pipe bombs from left over black powder?

Used to manage a grocery store. After work one night the stockers made a tin foil and drano plastic bottle "bomb" and set if off in the parking lot. Guy that lived nearby called the cops, made up some BS story about people yelling racist stuff then throwing them in his yard (they didn't). Cops are beating on the store doors wanting employee names. Told them I heard nothing and I couldn't release any info without corporate approval.

Next day got my guys together and told them to go do that shit at the high school next time.

Just got off the phone with Kelly @ Cole's finalizing the purchase of a Beretta 686 20/28 combo for my 10 year old. Asked since it was a field model if I could just pay them to remove the auto-safety in the shop since he's mostly going to shoot clays with it and she offered to do it for free. Earlier this year she sold me the same model for my older son and swapped out the existing stock for left-handed wood just for the cost of the labor.

Beretta is phasing out the 686 combos. I've been looking for a while. So when she said she had one, I grabbed it.

Awesome customer service. They are great.

Told my wife I was going to pay for this newest purchase by trading in a couple of old guns I no longer shoot. 

Spoiler

I am not actually going to trade in those old guns I no longer shoot. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 1:11 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Just got off the phone with Kelly @ Cole's finalizing the purchase of a Beretta 686 20/28 combo for my 10 year old. Asked since it was a field model if I could just pay them to remove the auto-safety in the shop since he's mostly going to shoot clays with it and she offered to do it for free. Earlier this year she sold me the same model for my older son and swapped out the existing stock for left-handed wood just for the cost of the labor.

Beretta is phasing out the 686 combos. I've been looking for a while. So when she said she had one, I grabbed it.

Awesome customer service. They are great.

Told my wife I was going to pay for this newest purchase by trading in a couple of old guns I no longer shoot. 

Hide contents

I am not actually going to trade in those old guns I no longer shoot. 

Tell me more about Beretta phasing these out. What's that about? 

Different pawn shop, Austin.

Stevens 555 12. ga O/U for $ 400.

Barrels looked like it hasn't ever been shot, 2¾ & 3" choke, removable.

Feels kinda light, however. Stock wasn't in the "medium weight" feels. Nary a nick on it.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

Tell me more about Beretta phasing these out. What's that about? 

I've been looking since August. No one in Houston had one and they were all out of stock online. Gunbroker still had a few a couple months ago but I never pulled the trigger and they eventually all disappeared. 

Called Kelly on a lark and she only had a 28" in slightly more expensive Onyx, so I bought that one. Also had a couple Silvers with 30" barrels but she expects those to be gone soon. 

She originally said they all 686 combos were backordered until December but they still had some "in Italy". I talked to her a little longer and she eventually said she expects them to be completely discontinued. 

No idea why. I think it's a perfect little gun for kids and allows them to shoot multiple gauges in skeet. My plan is to also get both boys a pair of the Sidekick 410 tubes and they should be all set until they are old enough to buy their own damn guns.  

• Like 1

Pawn shop # 2, Mossberg 500 in 20 ga. (again, youth model).

Stock is mildly worn, more than a few days in the field but not bad.. prob. 7.5 out of a perfect 10.

Metal looks OK, pretty clean action & barrel (can't really see a LOT via shitty lighting).

Want $ 220, I offered $ 200 ca$h out the door, they passed, I walked.

Deal or no deal?

I can come back next week.

6 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Pawn shop # 2, Mossberg 500 in 20 ga. (again, youth model).

Stock is mildly worn, more than a few days in the field but not bad.. prob. 7.5 out of a perfect 10.

Metal looks OK, pretty clean action & barrel (can't really see a LOT via shitty lighting).

Want $ 220, I offered $ 200 ca$h out the door, they passed, I walked.

Deal or no deal?

I can come back next week.

Offer them $180 next week.  Keep lowering your offer $20 per week just to fuck with them.

• Like 1