The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Yeah gander, palmetto state and a few others seem to have some brand of 9mm going for about 16cents a round.

Palmetto has a deal on 250 rounds of 9mm. And some mail in rebate but I’ve never done rebates on ammo.

7e41622af953dda9e57cc5ea383d2f8d.jpg

Natchez almost always has 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass for $169.99. And then once a month or so has free shipping.

That’s my go-to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 7:15 AM, RPM said:

Need a body armor rec. Looking at this Level 3+ vest from BulletSafe for $299. Bang for the buck looks good for something I'll never use. Opinion/alternatives?

BulletSafe-Vest-Alone-Glamour-Shot_500x.

Not the thread for this, but you'll be using sooner than you think.  That's the one of of the guys in our MAG uses and he seems happy with it.  

Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

• Like 2

Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

So great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Need a body armor rec. Looking at this Level 3+ vest from BulletSafe for $299. Bang for the buck looks good for something I'll never use. Opinion/alternatives?
BulletSafe-Vest-Alone-Glamour-Shot_500x.jpg?v=1546312988
That looks like a good price for what it's trying to do. That said...

You should seriously consider a Level III plate carrier. For similar money you can get rifle protection. AR500.com is a good place to start.

Springfield Armory Hellcat 9mm sub-micro. Was finally delivered from PSA (on sale) this week and I picked it up today.

I've been pocket carrying a P365 for a couple months now but wanted to try one of these since it's ever so slightly smaller and the reviews are so good. 

It's definitely tiny but the mag holds 11 shots. Will try and get it to the range later this week. 

IMG_3502.jpg.80efd4ba537bebfb04956bceb8293849.jpg

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 9:42 PM, Parliament said:

That looks like a good price for what it's trying to do. That said...

You should seriously consider a Level III plate carrier. For similar money you can get rifle protection. AR500.com is a good place to start.

It's upgradeable.

BulletSafe-Vest-2-Putting-Plate-In-Pocke

Or are you saying a plate carrier and plate alone are better? 

Skipped on the $ 200 pawn shop buy, got a new Mossberg Maverick 88 in a 20 ga. for $ 179.  I'll give the Remington used pawn buy to the boy & give the new Moss to the girl.

They are both getting pawn shop buy .22's in tube feed.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg®-maverick®-88-20-gauge-all-purpose-pump-action-shotgun#repChildCatid=130356

My wife is gonna be irritated because her Dad gave us a bolt action 20 ga. "for both kids to use", but for bird hunting that's stupidity defined & besides, how could both of them use it @ the same time?  Now back to my need for a gun cabinet... I'm thinking that since we will always have a combo trigger lock on all of them, I can go with a home built wooden cab. that locks & glass face + maybe one of those wire grids behind the glass.  That way I can provide my own spacing between guns & make the whole thing around 2 or 3" deeper for a better gap.

Speaking of safes...

We are - someday, if the stars align and business improves - going to build a new house at our farm.

Right now I've got space in the plans for a secret 10x10 vault room - closet within a closet - to store all my toys. Anybody have any ideas? 

Want to hide the door somehow - maybe behind some built in shelves, then with a normal reinforced steel door behind it. Doesn't necessarily have a to be a vault door does it?

I am thinking the walls can just be cinderblock behind drywall or should that be concrete? 

Ceiling maybe should be a steel plate or should that also be concrete? 

I'm sure the architect and the builder will have ideas, but it's always good to get extra feedback on my own. 

On 11/30/2019 at 11:27 PM, RPM said:

That has to be shit for accuracy at a distance. But 11 rounds close? Nice.

Average engagement distance with a handgun is under 7yds.  Clear, crisp sights, a good holster that facilitates a smooth release, and mag capacity are what you want.  

For those with a capacity to accurately shoot with a pistol that small (which ain't me) can cluster rounds in a apple-sized groups @ 25 yds no problem.  Shorter sight radius just make it harder.  

14 hours ago, thestud said:

Too much upside to having one. Fireproof. Stupid kid proof. Thief proof. Tornader proof. Plus you can put other important shit in it like your passports, kids birth certificates, cash, etc.

Do they make a dead hooker model?  Asking for a friend...

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

G-father had one.  Loved it.  Different times....

That’s all I remember anyone having, growing up. Definitely different times, I suppose.  I know one guy who recently had an amazing one built into his office wall, but we aren’t in the same stratosphere, financially.  I worry too much about theft to ever do it.  But I think they look great. 

I’d love to have an old glass faced gun cabinet.  But I don’t trust people and not chancing it with a break in.   

That’s all I remember anyone having, growing up. Definitely different times, I suppose.  I know one guy who recently had an amazing one built into his office wall, but we aren’t in the same stratosphere, financially.  I worry too much about theft to ever do it.  But I think they look great. 

Had a neighbor that had one in the entryway to his home, that they kept the front door always open with just the glass screen door closed. It even had like a couple of coat/hat hooks on it. Always thought it looked so cool to see his couple of shotguns and a 30-30 in it every time you walked in.

Hey guys.  So, I'm a realtor.  I was showing a foreclosure house (pretty trashed, the house, not me) yesterday. I was standing across the room when my client opened a closet. I'm taller than average, and I spotted something on the top shelf.  I reached up there, and shazam, 3 boxes of 9mm ammo.  The boxes looked very old, but the ammo appeared to be clean factory loads in the original tray dealies.  For frame of reference, the price tags were still on from a sporting goods chain out here, and it was 9 bucks and change for 50 rounds. 

I don't have a 9 but my nephew does.  Is this shit safe to fire?  Could anything go wrong? 

There are a metric shit-ton of old WWII-era bolt guns out there.  I had a Mosin Nagant carbine for a while.  All that ammo is decades old and perfectly safe to fire.  Worst thing that happened to mine was a few split casings, making extraction a little tight sometimes.  

On 12/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, Gil Bang said:

Hey guys.  So, I'm a realtor.  I was showing a foreclosure house (pretty trashed, the house, not me) yesterday. I was standing across the room when my client opened a closet. I'm taller than average, and I spotted something on the top shelf.  I reached up there, and shazam, 3 boxes of 9mm ammo.  The boxes looked very old, but the ammo appeared to be clean factory loads in the original tray dealies.  For frame of reference, the price tags were still on from a sporting goods chain out here, and it was 9 bucks and change for 50 rounds. 

I don't have a 9 but my nephew does.  Is this shit safe to fire?  Could anything go wrong? 

I'm not an expert but it should be fine.

Most ammo can be stored for decades without any degradation as long as it's kept dry.