The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Ugh that’s always my worry but I’ve never been that bad. The sighting or fit/finish problems that is

The security guard for my office sent his lwrc at back after he kept having feed issues due to the gas block suppressor setting.

He was trying all sort of fixes and finally sent it back.

I’ve been pretty lucky with my 1911 and my ar15 I built myself(outside of the fact it hates steel ammo) and my PSA ar10 pistol. Even doing the most simple of bore sighting with my strike eagle, I was only 3” low and 1.5” left and now it hasn’t shifted through hunting season.

Now I will say my EDC I did actually go “fancy” getting myself an HK p2000. She’s been great to me

Usually when sighting in an AR with a red dot that should co-witness I put some Magpul MBUS's on it and then adjust the red dot so that it is aiming where the iron sights are aiming. That usually gets you close enough to dial it in. Except when I did that with this gun it was shooting like 8 inches to a foot left at 25 yards. Never had that problem with an AR before.

Can you bore sight it and get the red dot sighted in that way?

Yeah, I could probably bore sight it, but I'd like to be able to get the iron sights to co-witness, and I don't think there's enough adjustment on them. I really just need to pull it apart and see if I can figure out what the problem is. If there is a metal shaving or some piece of trash between the barrel extension and the upper reciever then it probably isn't head spacing correctly, and that's obviously not good. If the forearm is crooked that's easy enough to swap out. For reference, it's almost the same as this one:

https://www.primaryarms.com/radical-firearms-ar-pistol-10.5in-300-blackout-hbar-10in-m-lok-fcr-gen3-rail

Picked up a Pre-64 Model 70 (.270) this week.  Beautiful gun.  Built in '49.

Looks like it was a safe queen age considered.

What's most interesting are the optics - Side mount by E.C. Hechner Co. in Boise, ID and the scope is vintage - Model is the Texan by the Norman-Ford Co. in Tyler, TX of all places.  I'm doing some research now but can't find much.  Once or two references that the scope was made in the early 50's and the Hechner mount was made for that era Model 70's and a couple of other rifles.

Anyone into older optics that has ever heard of them?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm looking for a xmas gift for the kid, and I'm thinking a gun vise may be nice.  He's got several rifles that he tinkers with.

Suggestions?

Is he a traditional rifle guy or does he tinker with AR's etc.?

I've given the mats that show the exploded view of AR's and AK's before, along with a dedicated armorers kit for that style of rifle.

On a vice, I'd consider the space he has to work with and then hit up Midway USA - They've got damn near everything a tinkerer would need and you could make sure the vice in question would be a good fit for his shop space.

52 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Picked up a Pre-64 Model 70 (.270) this week.  Beautiful gun.  Built in '49.

Looks like it was a safe queen age considered.

What's most interesting are the optics - Side mount by E.C. Hechner Co. in Boise, ID and the scope is vintage - Model is the Texan by the Norman-Ford Co. in Tyler, TX of all places.  I'm doing some research now but can't find much.  Once or two references that the scope was made in the early 50's and the Hechner mount was made for that era Model 70's and a couple of other rifles.

Anyone into older optics that has ever heard of them?  

Wow.  Rifle I inherited from g-father is a Pre-64 Model 70 (also in .270) that was built in '52.  My go-to deer rifle to this day.  With Winchester Super-X 130gr pills, it still groups around 1 inch +/-.  For decades it had a Weaver fixed x4 scope on it.  I upgrade with a Leopold, but kept that old Weaver in a box in the safe.  

Never heard of the scope or mounts, but there are so many old makers out there.  Original owner probably purchased both from a Sears catalog or from his local hardware store.  

That Norman-Ford scope has a dent in the side of it but it is a fixed 6x and the reticle is still clear and centered so I'm hoping it will still group.  I'd like to keep it all original.  Worst case is I buy an old 50's era Weaver on amazon or ebay and swap it out so I can shoot it.

I love the stories behind old guns and since I bought this at auction, I of course don't have one.  

As you said @BabaYaga ,  in my mind a rancher went into town in Mason, Llano, or Fredericksburg and went to the little Sears Catalog Store to order it.....or maybe from a display at Buttery Hardware.  

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

That Norman-Ford scope has a dent in the side of it but it is a fixed 6x and the reticle is still clear and centered so I'm hoping it will still group.  I'd like to keep it all original.  Worst case is I buy an old 50's era Weaver on amazon or ebay and swap it out so I can shoot it.

I love the stories behind old guns and since I bought this at auction, I of course don't have one.  

As you said @BabaYaga ,  in my mind a rancher went into town in Mason, Llano, or Fredericksburg and went to the little Sears Catalog Store to order it.....or maybe from a display at Buttery Hardware.  

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I have black/white pics of my g-father and his friends using this rifle and the other he had (that God help me, I wish I still had).  Also a pre-64 Winchester, with a shorter, heavier barrel in .257 Roberts.

They were Black Tail hunting in the Davis Mountains using Mules.  Not the fancy ATVs we use today.  Big ears.  Way too much attitude.  Loaded down with gear.  Pots/pans clanging off the sides.  Big, heavy canvas tents.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

How to you like those MBUS? I need some for my rifle.

I like them. They are perfectly adequate for what they were designed to be.

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm looking for a xmas gift for the kid, and I'm thinking a gun vise may be nice.  He's got several rifles that he tinkers with.

Suggestions?

If he tinkers with rifles he may already have a vice. Maybe look into a stoning jig for smoothing out triggers or something like that.

So just an FYI if you are need of some good earpro

I have the non-Bluetooth version of these that I got with my LEO discount for $65.99 which was like $76 after tax and ship.

They are badass, the mic and controls are moved off the ear cup and onto the head band which gives them a better nrr at about 26db which is pretty solid for an electronic ear pro slim line.

It does have Omni directional mics on the headband and 4 sound settings but power boost is a bit redundant on mine since I don’t have blue tooth to stream audio.

Sportsmans Warehouse (Slidell, Louisiana) is having a great sale for the Ruger SR series pistols @ $250 each plus $30 tax & shipping. 

I just bought a new SR9 from CDNN two months ago for what was an outstanding price of $300 plus Texas tax and shipping. Had bought my first SR9 ten years ago at the decent price of $430 when they were first introduced.

Ordered another one this morning from Sportsmans just because.... and will gift it to my son.

Damn nice, slim double stack 17+1 pistols, and they aren’t ugly like Blocks.

I have an SR45 too. Better looking guns for half the price of a Glock. They shoot straight with softer recoil. Recommended.

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Sportsmans Warehouse (Slidell, Louisiana) is having a great sale for the Ruger SR series pistols @ $250 each plus $30 tax & shipping. 

I just bought a new SR9 from CDNN two months ago for what was an outstanding price of $300 plus Texas tax and shipping. Had bought my first SR9 ten years ago at the decent price of $430 when they were first introduced.

Ordered another one this morning from Sportsmans just because.... and will gift it to my son.

Damn nice, slim double stack 17+1 pistols, and they aren’t ugly like Blocks.

I have an SR45 too. Better looking guns for half the price of a Glock. They shoot straight with softer recoil. Recommended.

I went online to try and order an SR45 and the closest one to me was 50 miles away. I sent an email to ask them to add my local pawn shop. First time I've ever seen a website that had such a limited listing. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

1. I was about five or six when I inherited a .30-06 from my great grandfather. They took us kids into the bedroom and there were several guns laid out and we were told to pick one. I picked an early 80's manufactured Remington 7400. My parents weren't really hunters or anything, so it was much longer before I learned to shoot anything other than a BB gun.

2. My oldest is 3, so she hasn't learned to shoot anything other than a nerf gun.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Poll time:

1. How old were you when you received (or purchased) your 1st real firearm (whether longarm or handgun, not a pellet or BB gun)?

2. How old were your kids when... [same as # 1].

?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

A used $105 Coast to Coast Store rebranded Mossburg 500 12 ga.  #2 was a brand new Beretta 96.  #3 was a Century Arms FAL

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Poll time:

1. How old were you when you received (or purchased) your 1st real firearm (whether longarm or handgun, not a pellet or BB gun)?

?

Got a .243 when I was 7 and a 20ga at 8.  Had been shooting .410’s and .22’s since about age 5. 

Gave my boys and girl their own at the same age.  Same deal.  Started them shooting at age 5. 

I think 7-9 is a good timeframe depending on kid’s disposition, maturity, and interest level.  Even for small kids (physically) there are plenty of ways to compensate for recoil, etc and make it enjoyable. 

Suppressed shooting is a game changer now.  Wonderful way to introduce novice shooters regardless of age and helps to reduce the possibility of developing bad habits and create good ones.   

13 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Poll time:

?

Me 5 It was a Remington 700 in .223 that had barrel and stock shortened by gunsmith.  It has been a first hunting rifle for at least 20 kids since then.  I was the first.

Oldest Daughter 10 - 20 ga Browning BPS micro

Second Daughter 10 (Shooting only I have too many to give them their own guns) - Savage .22 bolt action and AR-15

two more to go will be at 10 and 6.  Will start them with Ruger 10/22 with collapsible stock.

Edited by TexasEd

Wow, this guy knocked it out of the park. I wanted over the jeans with some "stays" at four points on my jean belt so that I dont bust a sag on my left side (lefty). Lots of attention to detail as well. He puts some coating where your body salts wont discolor the leather over time. I am very pleased with it.

He used to do those quick draw revolver contests when he was young, never found a store bought model he liked so he bought some leather and a sewing machine and learned. He also makes some kickass wallets as well. Hes a cass county sheriff deputy these days, and this is his side hussle. 595e0d2d63dcec405e9139ee364329ec.jpgfb5a766e23bb13182350348fe323f99e.jpg988ee24ecc360dae8bae4537605a6f89.jpg1feb5da0ebe90a4a81a037fd72c6b909.jpg780b488b06f2bf906e970b3a22397036.jpg

• Like 4