The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

11 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

That’s why I have a rifle in both those calibers.

I think it's Ruger that makes a little starter, ranch bolt-gun in .300blk.  I can't think of a better first rifle for a young/small-framed shooter.  Throw a can on the end and don't need hearing protection.  

Trying to decide how I want to spend Xmas money coming in soon.

Thinking either a new 2pt sling like a MS4 or maybe a D3CRM micro for hunting.

Getting tired of switching backpack positions when in a blind or ground hunting. Figure I can put snacks and Binos in the main pouch and use the admin pocket for everything else I’d need quickly

Finally had a free afternoon off from his school so I was able to get my 12 year old in with Larry Feland today to work on his mount and ultimately get his gun fitted. He adjusted the butt pad down a little bit but left the rest of it alone and told him to go practice his mount and come back in a couple of months. I love it that my son is starting to get into shotgun sports. 

IMG_3600.JPG.b0d44dea9c160161a967a511ce8c6070.JPG

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Parliament said:
On 12/19/2019 at 9:12 PM, TexasEd said:
picked up my first AR-10 lower today.  18" upper in 308/7.62x51 should be here pretty soon.

What brand?

PSA.  The upper came today.  I need to clean it but I cannot get the bolt to lock back.  Might be a break-in issue.

• Like 1

Finally had a free afternoon off from his school so I was able to get my 12 year old in with Larry Feland today to work on his mount and ultimately get his gun fitted. He adjusted the butt pad down a little bit but left the rest of it alone and told him to go practice his mount and come back in a couple of months. I love it that my son is starting to get into shotgun sports. 
IMG_3600.JPG.b0d44dea9c160161a967a511ce8c6070.JPG

Sorry about the leftie. Not too late to start over.
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, deft said:

Weirdest thing. Writes with his right hand, but from the start has thrown and and batted and kicked with his left side.

Figured out about two years ago that he was left-eye dominant so we got him a left-handed gun and he immediately started hitting more targets. Now he's getting so tall and long-armed and long necked that he's outgrowing the little LH 20 gauge, so today's visit was the first step in figuring out how to get him a "grownup" shotgun that fits his measurements once he stops growing.

I was super close to buying a CZ P-07 but the only reason I didn’t was the slide is smaller in height and wasn’t as comfortable to rack as I’d expected/hoped.

Also along the lines of if I had never ending play money and could only pick one line of firearms... give me HK. I’d take one of every line the have and had, including the VP70

I have 2 P-07’s. One of my favorite guns. Huge CZ fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 1:46 PM, BayouBill said:

My dad let me take home his old Remington Nylon 66 over Thanksgiving. 1st gun I ever shot growing up and it's still fun as hell for me to shoot. Told me he bought it with his dad in '66 or '67. Got it home and cleaned it for the first time....ever? Anyway, just feels good to have the 1st gun I ever shot back in my safe. 

20191129-160048.jpg

I have that exact rifle. Those old Nylons were badass as long as you kept them oiled.

I also have the first rifle I ever owned. An Agawam Model 68 lever action single shot .22 my Dad bought me for Christmas at Gibson's in Mineral Wells around 1969. No matter how long or hard I tried, I could not duplicate Lucas McCain's rifle spin and have the knuckles to prove it.

image.thumb.png.c79f2bb981220afed93406b5cb420ac7.png

• Like 4

22 hours ago, RPM said:

I have that exact rifle. Those old Nylons were badass as long as you kept them oiled.

I also have the first rifle I ever owned. An Agawam Model 68 lever action single shot .22 my Dad bought me for Christmas at Gibson's in Mineral Wells around 1969. No matter how long or hard I tried, I could not duplicate Lucas McCain's rifle spin and have the knuckles to prove it.

image.thumb.png.c79f2bb981220afed93406b5cb420ac7.png

Ba Bum ba da dum dum

ba ba dum da dum dum dum 

On 12/21/2019 at 12:57 AM, deft said:

I’m right handed but “learned” to shoot opposite as I should have growing up. I know shitloads of people who did the same and are now fixing that with their kids.  Kudos to doing it right from the get go, will probably add 15 to his clay score from the get go. 

On 12/21/2019 at 7:25 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Weirdest thing. Writes with his right hand, but from the start has thrown and and batted and kicked with his left side.

I shoot a left handed bow, and fish left handed reels. But am right handed and can’t write my name with my left hand. 

If he’s getting really into it you might entertain some 1x1 lessons for him now. Could easily be the difference between him being a 75 shooter or a 90. Shotgun sports are my personal favorite, and I wish I had that when I started. 

Update on the AR gift giving:

The gift was given discreetly outside in the driveway and was gratefully accepted by the recipient. More importantly, no one was shot by the evil weapon of war or by their relatives who might have been tainted by it and no "gun violence" was witnessed by anyone present at the home who was near to the firearm.

It was a Christmas Miracle!

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 3

I remember I was at a 3-gun and this crusty old veteran had a Browning High-Power.  Not his comp gun, rather him seeing what he could do with the old workhorse.  Didn't do too bad.  Slower reload times (no mag wells).  Sights are tiny.  But she ran just fine.  Goes to show you - it's the indian, not the arrow.  

Saw a guy run a 1911, an old Ithaca short barreled pump and a Garand, just for fun. Bam, bam, bam ... ping!
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Update on the AR gift giving:

The gift was given discreetly outside in the driveway and was gratefully accepted by the recipient. More importantly, no one was shot by the evil weapon of war or by their relatives who might have been tainted by it and no "gun violence" was witnessed by anyone present at the home who was near to the firearm.

It was a Christmas Miracle!

Congrat's on giving the single most versatile rifle platform ever made.  Twist rate on those barrels (for the most part) support and stabilize a heavier grain bullet (60-70gr+).  Perfect for well placed whitetail shots.  Perfect for hogs.  Maybe the best carry-along varmint control option ("truck gun").  And lastly, and maybe the most important - it's far and away (IMHO) the single best home defense option on the market.  Longer sight radius for well stabilized shots.  Zero recoil.  Intuitive to operate.  Can mount a bevvy of options that make target acquisition more effective (lights, optics, etc).  Mag capacity.  Small, frangible rounds offer the best in terms of NOT over-penetrating interior walls/ceiling.

And they're just fun to shoot.  Good on you.  If there are smaller kids involved, let them help disassemble and clean it.  Some of my fondest memories are with my g-father at the kitchen table just talking and having him explain to me how and why the guns are cleaned.  Then it became my job.  You learn so much about a weapon after taking it apart, putting it back together, and then using it.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

I ordered another new Ruger SR9 from Sportsman’s Warehouse (Slidell, Louisiana) December 14th, and was notified that it had been shipped to my FFL - GT Distributors in Austin on the 19th. Have not gotten the call yet to go down to do the transfer.

Anyone else having a slow time with their orders?

Edited by Armybrat

My PSA Gen 3 18" mid length AR10 is all put together.  I've got a LaRue MBT-2S trigger on the way and to keep it under $2K I went with a Primary Arms 4-14x44 mil/mil .308 HUD scope and mount that is on the way from Optics Planet. 

The hardest thing has been finding magazines.  I got one 10 rounder from Academy.  I have a lead on some others locally I'll be going out to get tomorrow.

44 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

My PSA Gen 3 18" mid length AR10 is all put together.  I've got a LaRue MBT-2S trigger on the way and to keep it under $2K I went with a Primary Arms 4-14x44 mil/mil .308 HUD scope and mount that is on the way from Optics Planet. 

The hardest thing has been finding magazines.  I got one 10 rounder from Academy.  I have a lead on some others locally I'll be going out to get tomorrow.

Ten rounds is plenty for an AR-10, IMO. Unless you are shooting packs of pigs with thermal or something like that then any more is just extra weight and makes it a little tougher to handle the rifle in a blind. If you really want to do mag dumps, then a cheaper round is probably more friendly than .308.

Similarly, I use FDE pmags for my 300 BLK only so I don't accidentally stick one in a 5.56.

I’m about to order a 300blk pistol for my sons first rifle, I was thinking about this same thing. I’ve got around 20 mags but I was thinking about how to clearly mark some. Probably hit a few with some spray paint and a 300 stencil or something.

My personal system is to never own guns of similar calibers. 

22LR for squirrels and plinking at the farm

5.56/223 small rifle

308 larger rifle

45/70 for any bears and water buffaloes also at the farm

Handguns, I'm almost 50/50 9mm and 45 auto, with a 357 mag for fun every now and then. 

Kind of ridiculous, I know, but I never mixup ammo and can stockpile efficiently. 

• Like 2

Smart, honestly I’m kinda done with my 5.56. Haven’t shot it in years and already started poaching furniture from it.

Also realized I’m down to maybe 300 rounds for it. Might just go burn through the rest of it break it down until a later date.

Might even rebarrel it for an extra 300blk hog hunter.

Got some extra money this Xmas and am also tempted to put another can in jail to get the clock started. Was really hoping my Sandman-K woulda got put into that expedited NFA approval system this past fall but I was a little after it closed/shutdown... except now the Sandman-Ks have gone
Up to their regular price now $250 more than before.

You definitely need a system. Bad things can happen if you mix them up. 

Stencils, bands, metal mags, 300 blk pmags, different colors. All sorts of things but be consistent. It will be a bigger problem when you shoot with others. I don’t have a 5.56 right now so I don’t have to worry about it. When I go shoot with my brother, I keep all of my stuff together in a case or pack.

I’ve seen some guys set up their black in a different color furniture and match it to the mags as well.
  • Like 1

Smart, honestly I’m kinda done with my 5.56. Haven’t shot it in years and already started poaching furniture from it.

Also realized I’m down to maybe 300 rounds for it. Might just go burn through the rest of it break it down until a later date.

Might even rebarrel it for an extra 300blk hog hunter.

Got some extra money this Xmas and am also tempted to put another can in jail to get the clock started. Was really hoping my Sandman-K woulda got put into that expedited NFA approval system this past fall but I was a little after it closed/shutdown... except now the Sandman-Ks have gone
Up to their regular price now $250 more than before.

This is kind of where I am. I’m thinking of dumping my 5.56 and picking up a 6.5C to pair with my 300BO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Along those lines, if you have a number of different rifles or tend to swap out uppers - It's also a good idea to order the caliber identifying dust covers - laser engraved and swap them out for the standard covers.  Quicker to identify - easier to read than a barrel that might be covered by furniture, etc.

Makes it easier to verify you are pairing cartridge / mag to proper upper.

Right ammo / wrong upper is just as bad as wrong ammo / right upper.

Edited by Reagan1k

I am in the minority.  I can justify any caliber to myself.  

FF to self:  That 25-06 is pretty damn close to your go to 257wby.

Self to FF: No no no.  See the Wby has belted brass.  You need one without that in case you get tired of buying WBY ammo.  And did you see the figure on that stock?!?!?

FF to self:  You are right!  I never thought of it that way. 

My wife thinks I own 3-4 rifles, lulz.

• Like 2