The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 1/5/2020 at 11:36 AM, msucolt45 said:

I have a set of consecutive serial number SAAs that I purchased in 2004. I rarely used them for Cowboy Action Shooting, because I didn’t want to create a “cylinder ring” on them, but they are still pristine to today

To avoid the cylinder turn ring on a Colt SAA, when you put it on half cock to load or unload, DO NOT lower the hammer directly from that position. ALWAYS cock the hammer all the way back before lowering it slowly to the down position (on an empty chamber of course). That should keep a well-timed action from letting the cylinder stop bolt from scratching the cylinder.

Edited by Armybrat

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Then throw all that shit out the window and get a gun with some real knock down power. Buy an Ed Brown 1911 because that's the only pistol and manufacturer of 1911 you should buy. 45 acp is a man's round.

/For OP - this post is 100% tongue in cheek alluding to bullshit you see and have seen on gun forums since, well the advent of the internet by Al Gore. Also, guns are evil.

Actually, Kahr makes a nice polymer frame compact .45 ACP in several versions. CW45, P45, PM45, and the CM45.

I have carried  a CW45 in cool weather clothing. It is a fairly soft shooter for a 21.7 ounce (unloaded) pistol. Good ergonomics. It is 6.32” long, 4.8” tall, and 1” thick.... with a 3.64” barrel. 6+1 capacity. They sell for around $350-$360. Nice pistol, IMO.

The CM45 & PM45 are somewhat smaller in length & height and are 5+1 capacity. The P and PM series are quite pricey, running about $200 more.

Edited by Armybrat

What is the best conceal pistol? .380 or sub9? I'm a noob buying my first pistol i should add and just signed up for a CHL course.

Please don’t buy a subcompact 380 as a first pistol.

Go to a range that rents and try at least 4 different full size striker fired pistols (G17/19, M&P9,XDm, etc). Choose the one that fits your hand and you shoot the best with. It will easier to learn how to shoot with it and you can take your LTC shooting test with it when the time comes. At least take a 1 day intro handgun class before the LTC class.

Once you have your LTC, and you are more familiar with handling a handgun, you will be better suited to choose a dedicated carry gun. If you go this route, look at the single stack 9 compacts that are the same mfr as your full size.
  • Like 1

Well, if one wants to pay that much for an Ed Brown, then go for it. If my budget allowed for it, I’d undoubtedly buy one myself.

But my $399 Remington R1 1911 functions and shoots just fine. Fit & finish are very good too for such an inexpensive gun, which was a surprise. Of course I haven’t fired it much, so maybe it could fall apart with the next round.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Well, if one wants to pay that much for an Ed Brown, then go for it. If my budget allowed for it, I’d undoubtedly buy one myself.

But my $399 Remington R1 1911 functions and shoots just fine. Fit & finish are very good too for such an inexpensive gun, which was a surprise. Of course I haven’t fired it much, so maybe it could fall apart with the next round.

It will last as long as you take care of it.  There is merit to the cast vs milled argument regarding frames.  Match barrels are a thing of beauty, however the VAST majority of shooters are unable to leverage their capacity as they are simply not very good with a pistol.  

I went a similar route - Sig 1911.  Looks like this one below.  At the end of the day, it's the "Timex vs. Rolex" argument.  Both work perfectly well for the users that buy them.  If you are one of the few advanced divers that actually uses a dive watch, or advanced shooters that might win or lose a match based upon the superior tolerances of a match pistol, then good on you.  

Kimbers take a little heat because they mark up their items to help give them an air of superiority for a production model that competes in the same space as custom builds.  Good gun.  If you want a good all around out-of-the-box option, they are a good, safe option.  If you want to dig a little and up your price slightly, there are many superior options.  

*cough, Dan Wesson...Cough*

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxB0Q8E4TePRuJVcQuyod

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

So as not to be completely obtuse on the matter I'll provide my very biased choices relative to different situations.

Budget As Primary and main Factor:

Remington

Desire to simply own a 1911 with limited and infrequent range use and no intention to carry:

Colt Gold Cup

Budget a factor but range use and desire to potentially carry with budget as a secondary issue:

Ruger, 4 1/4 

They already own a 1911 but want to step up to the next level without going semi-custom:

Dan Wesson

The want a semi-custom and currently own a Kimber:

Wilson Combat

They are a heavy user and want the most reliable semi-custom:

Ed Brown

They want semi-custom and lean towards OCD on tolerance and tight fit:

Les Baer

When you get into Semi-custom, the subjectivity jumps through the roof. There are obviously other manufacturers beyond what I mentioned above, but given my bias, preferences and experience those are the only 1911s I personally want to own. It's not that the other options are bad, just bad for me. (Edit The exception is RIA. Those are cheap pieces of shit with terrible fit and finish. You can buy one if you want, but you really are stupid. Yes, RIA has a big fan boi club. Maybe bigger than Kimber.)

Thanks for this, as a 1911 is at the top of my "next handgun" list.

34 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

There is always one of you around. I firmly believe that in the price point there are far better options. Seems you might want to double think that friend who chose to dump his POS on you after attempting to make it run. ;)

But if you like it, who cares what I think. 

Why is it a POS?  If it fires accurately and doesn’t malfunction, then it is most certainly not a POS, sir!

I own a Sig 1911 myself.

Edited by Fondren & Main

There is always one of you around. I firmly believe that in the price point there are far better options. Seems you might want to double think that friend who chose to dump his POS on you after attempting to make it run.
But if you like it, who cares what I think. 

Eh, it’s not a bad gun for what it is. He didn’t have any issues with it. I wish I had a high dollar 1911, but then I’d just want to show it off and not shoot it.

I had a Springfield Ultra Compact that I liked but got rid of. Wanted something with more capacity when I was carrying. Plus the damn grip needed to be bobbed. Rubbed my love handles.

16 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

It was a carry on from my earlier post. If you ever go to pistol discussion boards everyone has their favorite 1911s and the rest suck. I don't like Kimbers personally. That said 1911s and your specific choice of manufacturer comes down to a lot of subjective items. I could get into all the specific nuance of why I personally think Ed Brown and Dan Wesson brand 1911s are superior to all others. There are some legit differences between them all. I've shot or own Brown, Baer, Wilson, Colt, RIA, Kimber, Spingfield A, and a bevy of others. If you become a true 1911 addict well, that's your own damn fault. You would do better to never "take the first hit". All that said there are dedicated 1911 forums where you can jump into the rabbit hole of 1911 choice/preference and differences. I'll end my take with this, my opinion is worth what you're paying for it. I really don't care what other guns owners decide to spend their money on. If you want my opinion, like my asshole, I have one which is well informed and heavily biased toward my own personal preferences. Other people prefer other manufacturers, doesn't make them wrong, just stupid. ;)

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

It will last as long as you take care of it.  There is merit to the cast vs milled argument regarding frames.  Match barrels are a thing of beauty, however the VAST majority of shooters are unable to leverage their capacity as they are simply not very good with a pistol.  

I went a similar route - Sig 1911.  Looks like this one below.  At the end of the day, it's the "Timex vs. Rolex" argument.  Both work perfectly well for the users that buy them.  If you are one of the few advanced divers that actually uses a dive watch, or advanced shooters that might win or lose a match based upon the superior tolerances of a match pistol, then good on you.  

Kimbers take a little heat because they mark up their items to help give them an air of superiority for a production model that competes in the same space as custom builds.  Good gun.  If you want a good all around out-of-the-box option, they are a good, safe option.  If you want to dig a little and up your price slightly, there are many superior options.  

*cough, Dan Wesson...Cough*

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxB0Q8E4TePRuJVcQuyod

Solid posts, gentlemen.

If you want to do it right the first time, get a Dan Wesson 1911.

Well, truth is that I am downsizing calibers from .45 to 9mm because of arthritis in my hands. 

Gifted two of my .45s (Remington 1911 and Ruger SR45) to my sons for Christmas, so only have one (kahr CW45) left.... and it’ll go to one of them next Holiday or birthday. They already got both of my .44 Magnums (S&W Model 29 and Ruger Super Blackhawk).

Am sticking with my Kahr CW9 and Ruger SR9 as my “big bores”.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well, truth is that I am downsizing calibers from .45 to 9mm because of arthritis in my hands. 

Gifted two of my .45s (Remington 1911 and Ruger SR45) to my sons for Christmas, so only have one (kahr CW45) left.... and it’ll go to one of them next Holiday or birthday. They already got both of my .44 Magnums (S&W Model 29 and Ruger Super Blackhawk).

Am sticking with my Kahr CW9 and Ruger SR9 as my “big bores”.

Shot my new P365. Nice shooting 9 out of the box. My FIL is almost 70 and he really liked it. He typically walks around with .44 mag in a shoulder holster. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

AB, where did you pay $399 for an R1? I've got one, too, but I sure didn't pay that low.

10 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

AB, where did you pay $399 for an R1? I've got one, too, but I sure didn't pay that low.

Summer of 2018 Remington had a $75 cash rebate promotion and Grabagun put the R1 on sale for $474.

Of course I did  have to pay 8.25% state sales tax plus $7.99 shipping and $25 for the FFL transfer fee. (But it sounds better not mentioning all that).

i also bought a Remington RM380 on the same promotion for $170 after the rebate plus tax, etc.That was a great deal and those sre excellent little pocket pistols .

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Personally, I want a Wilson someday. Those are beautiful. 

Wisons are pretty but you get a lot more gun for the money with an Ed

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I have an Ed Brown build sheet put together for at least a year now.  Just need to justify the $$$ to myself.  At that point, it'll be on.

Do it.gif

Best gun I own by a mile. Coincidently, the first shot I took with it was a 10y center bullseye. The second was not... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I’d like an STI, made in Georgetown, Texas about 15 miles north of me.

Those are really well made guns and almost pulled the trigger (so to speak) on one before I got my Ed. 

All this 1911 talk made me feel like taking the girl out for some glamour shots

983CFF46-E874-432D-AF94-9810813D7623.jpeg

1E4F3C31-05B8-4DEE-B0AE-EEE8F62A646A.jpeg

47019DCC-0700-49DE-A3FE-BCF1781F790C.jpeg

51217B78-6729-4785-9CC9-7EC479D64F00.jpeg

E79767A4-224C-4104-A62A-BABF3799F9BC.jpeg

• Like 3

Let me help you.
Look, you can sit around on your fat ass for the rest of your life dreaming about being the man and fucking super models. You can tell all your fat fucking friends at the shitty bar you go to about what would have been. You can get old doing the same bullshit, and thinking about missed opportunity to be the man rather than talking and dreaming about it.
Or you could order that Ed Brown, step up to the plate and swing for the fences, like a man.
Do you it you fucking pussy.
Also, pics or it didn't happen.

I chortled.

Doc, what holster is that?

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

You're on.

5 stage IDPA match, bug only, no cover.

I'll run my G42 off hand to make it fair.

Winner gets the losers firearm.

That's right, we are gonna race for pink slips old timer.

Hah, you know the old one-eyed, arthritic fat man is easy pickin’s eh?

• Like 1

I love my STI but it isn't a 1911.  Just thought I would add that.

They did build 1911s for a while. They had two models for sure the Spartan and the Trojan that were. One was made my armscor in the Philippines. The other I thought they made. I had one and longed for the other.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:15 PM, BurntEyes said:

Look, you can sit around on your fat ass for the rest of your life dreaming about being the man and fucking super models.

I'm going to do this either way.

You can tell all your fat fucking friends at the shitty bar you go

This is by design; I like shitty bars.

Do you it you fucking pussy.

I will.  The rub is the wife tends to notice when 4k suddenly leaves our account.  And I got an up close lesson on the danger of a hidden account this past year (not me) so I have to think of something shiny to get her at the same time, which adds significantly to the 4k.  Then I start thinking, man for 4k, I can get a 20/28 combo with EELL wood.  Then things get stalled.

Also, pics or it didn't happen.

There will be pics, just before it tragically is lost.

• Like 1