The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

15 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I have a .44 mag snubbie. I can only imagine how that thing would shoot.

Worst pistol pain I ever felt was a .357 fired from a snubbie airlight.  One of those S&W pistols made from ultra-light material.  My wrist snapped back so fast, it felt like I'd grabbed and and held an electric fence.

All the big bores I've played with - .44Mag, .454, .50 S&W.  The frames are so heavy they help manage the recoil.  

Magnum Research is building an entire line they call the BFR (Big Frame Revolver) - In .30/30 WIN., .444 Marlin, .450 Marlin, .45LC/.410, .45/70 Gov't., .460 S&W, .500 S&W.

Pretty interesting.  

I do have a Ruger revolver in .30 carbine that's a blast to shoot, but I wouldn't put that in the same league.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Worst pistol pain I ever felt was a .357 fired from a snubbie airlight.  One of those S&W pistols made from ultra-light material.  My wrist snapped back so fast, it felt like I'd grabbed and and held an electric fence.

All the big bores I've played with - .44Mag, .454, .50 S&W.  The frames are so heavy they help manage the recoil.  

Shooting standard .357 magnums through my 40 ounce New Vaquero is pretty soft compared to my hefty little SP101, so there is no way I’d want to experience it with an airweight.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I had my airweight ported by Magnaport. It helps a LOT. However, I have opted to run 38+p as the recoil creates so much rise, even with the porting that follow up shots are still too slow.

I'm having a new Trijicon from site put on it and may add a thicker Crimson trace grip to help reduce recoil pain.

I've considered the 44 mag 329pd which is the Airweight/scandium (sp?) version of that K frame. My experience with the 357 has prevented me from moving forward.

Tldr: Yeah, 357 mag in a Airweight sucks, a lot.

LOL reading this makes my hand hurt

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Interesting that they are doing .30-30 along with the other straight walled cartridges. I guess it's so you can have a lever gun and revolver in .30-30?

That’s all I can figure out based on the other offerings.  Definitely sticks out. 

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So my kid worked through Xmas, so he’s out here now. He knows that I fucking love .22s so, here’s what he brought me for a present. b8b99f366bbcb75b1ef9707b25313352.jpg

Ruger Wrangler.

Those are solid budget wheelguns that get very good reviews by owners on the Ruger forums. About the only criticism is for the plastic grip panels, but a lot of the owners are replacing them with wood ones from Altamont. One of those is on my want list. 

It is Ruger’s direct marketing challenge to the Heritage Rough Rider line, and it looks like it is very successful. Great plinkers they say. Aluminum frame, zanak trigger guard & backstrap, steel cylinder & barrel. Some parts interchange with the expensive Single Six. 

+rep for your son.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

Seriously, the only gun manual I’ve read that said dry firing is not advised is for the Ruger SR semiauto series - and that was only without an empty magazine inserted.

Others are hesitant to dry fire revolvers like the SAA that have the firing pin on the hammer. But no matter, if you are uncomfortable doing it, just buy some snap caps for your gun.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Use of dry fire is the most underutilized, high value, low cost and time investment one can do to improve their shooting.

Then again, most people "don't need to" improve their shooting according to the legends/myths about themselves in their own mind.

This.  Pistols are among the most prevalent of all firearms, as well as being the most difficult to fire well.  There's a reason Tier I &II military units train with them so much that they are quickly retired when the slides get micro-fractures.

Under optimum situations that are hard to hit objects with.  Under duress, it becomes almost impossible.  Your heart beat spikes, you get an adrenaline dump, and your fine motor skills go to shit.  Skill with a pistol and it's small sight radius is perishable as well.  Like a refined golf swing, you take time off and it diminishes quickly.  

Drills such as those mentioned above are a great way to stay refined.  

Just now, Reagan1k said:

They need to come out with a carbine like the PC-9 in 5.75x28 that uses these same mags.

Would be a hellacious truck gun for the farm or ranch topped with a 1x6 or even a red dot.

Yep.  Thats what everyone else is telling them on all the Youtube reviews/social media posts.  Only problem with 5.7 is how expensive it is per 50.  Hopefully this gun might help bring the price down some.

Yeah - FN's original offering's cost has hampered adoption by the average shooter - thus limiting the demand for the pills.

Get a bunch of these ruger's in the hands of the weekend shooter and the ppr will start to come down quickly.

Just like the .224 Valk., and 6.5GR / CM - Get some reasonably priced shooters out there and the ammo prices will plummet.

That sucker would be hell on hogs and coyotes. 

I'd even buy a hi-point carbine in 5.75x28 if it ran as well as my 10mm.  All the hi-point jokes aside......they make a pretty good little carbine that goes bang out the barrel and not in your wallet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

They need to come out with a carbine like the PC-9 in 5.75x28 that uses these same mags.

Would be a hellacious truck gun for the farm or ranch topped with a 1x6 or even a red dot.

Looks suspiciously like my Kel-Tec PMR 30.  The carbine accompaniment is just that.  One hell of a fun truck gun (I have the pistol, friend has both).  You can fit it in a small day pack, and carry hundreds of rounds of ammo.  Which isn't cheap, but cheaper than 5.7.

22 Mag doesn't quite match the ballistics of the 5.7, but I've seen the damage it does to varmints and pigs.  With zero recoil, your follow up shots are easy to control.  

8sn5dkwelps01.jpg

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Looks suspiciously like my Kel-Tec PMR 30.  The carbine accompaniment is just that.  One hell of a fun truck gun (I have the pistol, friend has both).  You can fit it in a small day pack, and carry hundreds of rounds of ammo.  Which isn't cheap, but cheaper than 5.7.

22 Mag doesn't quite match the ballistics of the 5.7, but I've seen the damage it does to varmints and pigs.  With zero recoil, your follow up shots are easy to control.  

8sn5dkwelps01.jpg

Looks like a Mattel Christmas set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

8sn5dkwelps01.jpg

Agreed - hybrid of a 22 mag and hornet.  

Probably a solution looking for a problem but hey.... I have lots of those. 

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

What do you think about that Burris fast fire? 

Those aren't mine - just a internet pic of both together.  I have the pistol, buddy of mine has both, so to save time I just grabbed a pic online as reference.  His carbine doesn't have a muzzle break or scope.  Just a red dot - which is all you need with these.  

Pistol, in my estimation, is the perfect ranch gun.  Insanely light.  Carries 30 in the mag.  Offers good penetration on varmints and small game.  I spooked a mid-size pig once farting around in some dense brush.  100+ lbs +/-.  20 yards maybe?  I was able to hold on this stinky monster on the run, rolled her easily, and counted 9 hits out of 12 shots fired.  All of which penetrated and turned her innards into jelly.  It's not my primary HD gun, but in a pinch, I'd trust it to do the job.  

17 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Agreed - hybrid of a 22 mag and hornet.  

Probably a solution looking for a problem but hey.... I have lots of those. 

Wasn't it designed as a solution to the NATO request for a small, fast round to replace the 9mm?  Something that could defeat most battlefield body armor.  Both NATO, and later the FBI did a considerable number of tests on the efficacy of modern rounds.  The conclusion was centered around penetration.  It was the singular trait that was concluded to be the most "effective".  Penetration and cavitation.  

We're seeing a trend in that direction.  I know many SF teams the world over have fallen in love with the H&K MP7 and it's tiny, but lethal 4.6mm cartridge.  These small, hyper-fast rounds zip through most conventional body armor and turn what's behind it into grape jelly.  

58 minutes ago, krevo said:

I owned one of the first PMR30s that Keltec produced and I'll never buy another Keltec product again.   They are really a terrible company overall regardless of the cool shit they dream up.

I loved mine so much I bought another one. The CMR is next on my list of gun purchases.

38 cents isn't SO bad. I have an FN57 that I bought because...reasons. It has an unusual operating system and a TERRIBLE trigger. It was also like $1300 new.

Ruger was brilliant with this pistol. And a carbine that uses the same mags would print money.

Ruger has some good things going right now. They literally invented a new platform with their PRC, and they have some new Peacemaker replica in .22. Brilliant.afcdf6b25d159f70d743f3a08f2adf47.jpg

A shortened .30 carbine necked down to .25 caliber could have the same overall length and possibly similar ballistics to the 5.7x28 with slightly reduced magazine capacity and probably similar recoil. .256 Win Mag bullets would fit. Then you could make a pistol and carbine that use the same magazines and have slightly greater knockdown power over the 5.7.

@NotActuallyALonghorn

Interesting that you brought that up because the 5.7x28 PDW is basically this century's version of a primary role the M1 Carbine played from the 40's to the 70's.

@BurntEyes     You didn't make it up.  That's what I've read as well.  It was envisioned as and designed to be a bridge between the 5.56 and the 9mm - where threat levels were escalated and defeating body armor might be necessary in an otherwise non-battlefield environment.

Similar mental exercise to the FBI's trials with the 10mm and then 40s&w following the '86 Miami shootout. 

1 minute ago, bigshark88 said:
On 1/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, immortal13 said:
I loved mine so much I bought another one. The CMR is next on my list of gun purchases.

To be clear KT has re worked the PMR30 several times. Kervo says he got an early one. They received a lot of criticism.

Oh ok...thanks