The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I enjoy reloading.  It is a thinking game that I can do at my bench and I can develop/test loads that I think are appropriate for the task.  Mostly '06 and .416 Rigby is what I spend my time on.  I can tailor make loads for the '06 for whitetail culling that are easy on the shoulder and deadly on the deer.  I can load out heavy A-frames that will kill everything in Africa.  I load down cast .416 ammo for practice.  Much more economical and easier to shoot than factory.  I can also load up some 300 grain TTSX at 2600+ fps that is a fantastic killer or 400 gain A-frames at 2400 fps that are penetrate forever killers.  And like anything else, you can get as intense as you want.  COAL, jump, neck tension, temp stability, standard vs magnum primers, case prep, annealing, etc... will keep your brain occupied for days.  

I started reloading for shotgun back in the early '80s when you could still use lead on ducks.  Then moved on to reloading steel and eventually metallic cartridges when I bought a 17 Remington.  Since then I have loaded 17Rem, 223/556, 243 Win, 260 Rem, 30-30 Win, 308, 30-06, 9mm and 40 S&W.  I haven't done a lot shooting or reloading in about 5 years but planning to work on that this year and get 6.5 Gren and 300BO in the mix.

My suggestion is to buy a single stage press to begin with especially if you have a lot of low volume stuff and then move on to a progressive as your reloading experience and ammo needs increase.  I have a couple of different single stage Lee presses and a Lee turret that I was given, a Hornady LnL single stage and a Hornady LNL progressive but you really can't go wrong with any of the popular models.   Buy a kit and dies to start out and then see what extras you need as you get experience.  

when I was a  heavy shotgun guy (shot a lot of skeet, trap, sporting clays in my 20's) , I reloaded.  It was a fairly brainless exercise...you can safely drink beer while reloading 12 GA.  

I had the whole setup for reloading pistol and rifle stuff as a teenager.  Then, I discovered pussy and wasn't quite as interested in guns and ammo.  

I don't mean that as an insult to gun guys; that was my experience.  I was really into guns and reloading, and then I wasn't.  Now, as the hair falls out (and what doesn't fall out changes colors) I'm getting back into it some.   The shotgun stuff was more of a good time.  Hit the range with a couple of buddies on a Saturday afternoon, and head to the titter after. 

Mine wasn't stiff at all.  But, after about 50 rounds or so, the cylinder seemed to get a little dirty, and the ammo needed to be pushed in a bit instead of just falling into place. 

Meantime, this is the first ceracoat (sp?) finish that I've owned.  Any complications to cleaning, or is it business as usual?

On 1/18/2020 at 1:21 PM, Parliament said:

SHOT Show starts tomorrow or Monday. Lotsa cool new stuff.

Where every suburban warrior scours their closet for anything khaki, black, and cool looking to wear and prepares their stories of "my buddy in the ________ (insert military unit) says...."

*I kid.....but only a little.  Last time I went I spent WAY too much time around the edged weapons, trying to think of a way to justify the purchase of a sword to the wife.

Where every suburban warrior scours their closet for anything khaki, black, and cool looking to wear and prepares their stories of "my buddy in the ________ (insert military unit) says...."
*I kid.....but only a little.  Last time I went I spent WAY too much time around the edged weapons, trying to think of a way to justify the purchase of a sword to the wife.

She was probably getting a sword while you were gone. /obligatory.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

So... In the spirit of shot show.. 

I needed an optic for my new 300 blk pistol, and a "stock", and a mount for, the light I needed. Trijicon RMR purchased along with an SB brace, and Surefire light.

But then my Colt AR was mad, as it has only irons. Burris optic purchased.

Lo and behold, my SCAR H wanted in. So I got an Trijicon MRO. Not enough it yelled. So...to appease it I got it a Trijicon ACOG.

I felt bad for the new guy, and gave him the MRO. I mounted the RMR at 45 on the SCAR.

Yeah.. That happened. $2000+ in a week or so... 

I've had an RMR topped ACOG for several years and love it.  I've used the RMR in the field much more than I ever anticipated and I can't say enough about how natural that entire package is from a site acquisition and transition standpoint.

I needed an optic for my new 300 blk pistol, and a "stock", and a mount for, the light I needed. Trijicon RMR purchased along with an SB brace, and Surefire light.
Lo and behold, my SCAR H wanted in. So I got an Trijicon MRO. Not enough it yelled. So...to appease it I got it a Trijicon ACOG.
I felt bad for the new guy, and gave him the MRO. I mounted the RMR at 45 on the SCAR.

What acog u go with?

I've had an RMR topped ACOG for several years and love it.  I've used the RMR in the field much more than I ever anticipated and I can't say enough about how natural that entire package is from a site acquisition and transition standpoint.
I'm glad someone here is familiar personally with the set up. I really have no idea how many hours I spent reading and watching videos about various optics options. I really considered the VCOG for the SCAR but based on my what I gathered, it is an optic that requires a lot more practice to become familiar with for usage quickly.  The ACOG was pretty much loved universally and the RMR had a similar level of love. MRO was also well received but not as much as those two.
I'm excited, and will admit that I picked out/was a little lazy as the LGS gun tech was a marine and will zero optics to 100 for dirt cheap.
Downside is my SilencerCo and my THOR for will have to wait. Particularly as I saw Sig is now selling a P320 with an optic include for a price cheaper than converting my G26 to properly support one and the cost for the RMR.
The pain I suffer. 
2020 high-end optics humblebragging not going away...

On 1/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, bigshark88 said:
On 1/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, immortal13 said:
I loved mine so much I bought another one. The CMR is next on my list of gun purchases.

To be clear KT has re worked the PMR30 several times. Kervo says he got an early one. They received a lot of criticism.

So many of their guns have had QC issues, frames cracking, barrel issues, etc.  The problems with Keltec run much deeper than their shitty customer service and quality control.  Back to their early days as Grendel. 

- They are a plastic molding company first, and a gun manufacturer second.  Which means when they roll out a bad product, they can just blame it on the fact that they're not a gun manufacturer..  They can also use this excuse when they're limiting production/shipping on high demand guns in order to drive up the price/demand with retailers.

- When their products are not working as intended, or their is a major bug overlooked - their CS department is a nightmare to deal with.  The've had issues with their PMRs, KSGs, RFBs, etc.  About the only thing they've ever made well is their P9/P11/P3ATs and their Sub carbines and even those are just really shoddy quality when you compare them to similarly priced guns made to compete with Keltec.  Like I said, they have a really great R&D team that dreams up some cool shit but the way they execute on it and support is horrendous.  

Edited by krevo

Slight change of topic from ACOGs........

I've been bitten by two bugs recently (really 3) Savage 99 lever actions  and both the Winchester 1905 and 1907 autoloaders.

Scoured some auctions and picked up a few of each....some I'll keep and some I'll resell.

99's are in .300 savage, .303 savage, and 250-300 savage.

The 1905 is in .32 Win and the 1907 is in .351 Win.

Anybody got any of these as heirlooms or collect them?  99's have a bit of a cult following and I can now see why - fantastic feeling rifle.

1905 and 1907 make me think of prison guards, railroad security and bootlegger shootouts.  I tried to bid on one 1907 but it had a small plaque on the stock that said "Property of Folsom Prison" and an ID number.  That got pretty pricey.

Any sako owners on here that work on their own rifles? Specifically 85s
I have my 85 .300 win mag at my lease in mexico. I wipe my guns down good after each hunt before I leave to come back to the good ol usa. Last week was wiping everything down in a hurry. I somehow spun the bolt shroud with enough force to disassemble the bolt. It came apart with the bolt, shroud, spring and firing pin coming lose.
I didnt wanna pull my rifle outta mexico so I left it thinking I could find a video to put it back together. Well no luck except 1 video of a guy putting a bolt back together and not really close up and its a lefty bolt. The owners manual is lacking in details. Called Beretta (the Sako importer) today and got the run around. Too much liability to give me a link or better diagram. Those fucks said they purposely make the owners manual lacking so customers will take the bolt to a qualified smith. I asked why the fuck they provide a bolt shroud plastic tool in ea box if we aren’t supposed to disassemble the bolt. Beretta guy says its to take the tool and bolt to a smith. Sounds like horseshit./ csb; tldr

Anyway, anyone on here have an 85 and know how to disassemble/reassemble a bolt? Id like a quick video showing a close up. Id be willing to pay some $ for your time or send u a little gift.
Yes Im an idiot.
Sorry for the rant

4 hours ago, krevo said:

About the only thing they've ever made well is their P9/P11/P3ATs and their Sub carbines and even those are just really shoddy quality when you compare them to similarly priced guns made to compete with Keltec. 

Is there anybody other than hipoint that makes a pistol caliber carbine in that proce range?

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Is there anybody other than hipoint that makes a pistol caliber carbine in that proce range?

Ruger's PC9 is closest to the Hi-Point in price range.  The Takedown feature may be worth the extra $$.

I like the Hi Point in 10mm carbine.  It goes bang and hits hard.  The 10mm performs great out of a carbine length barrel.

The Aero Survival rifle is a step up in price from the Ruger and 2 steps up from the Hi Point.

In reality, unless you want the black rifle look and semi-auto is a must, a Henry or Marlin ever action in .357 or .44 is a fantastic tool.

29 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Ruger's PC9 is closest to the Hi-Point in price range.  The Takedown feature may be worth the extra $$.

I like the Hi Point in 10mm carbine.  It goes bang and hits hard.  The 10mm performs great out of a carbine length barrel.

The Aero Survival rifle is a step up in price from the Ruger and 2 steps up from the Hi Point.

In reality, unless you want the black rifle look and semi-auto is a must, a Henry or Marlin ever action in .357 or .44 is a fantastic tool.

The base model PC9 is about $75-100  more than the base Sub-2000. Of course the Hi Point is even cheaper, but the Sub-2000 does fold in half, so it has that going for it.

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

20 years ago, PCCs that used Glock mags were hard to come by.  Nowadays, you can build an AR PCC or pistol for damn near what some people mark those Sub2000s up to.  There are tons of other manufacturers now making PCCs that might be a little more expensive, but are way better than the Sub2k.  I'd actually buy a HiPoint carbine over a Sub2k because they run like a sewing machine and if I accidentally broke it - I could call them up and they would take care of it faster than almost any other gun company on the market.  

15 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Slight change of topic from ACOGs........

I've been bitten by two bugs recently (really 3) Savage 99 lever actions  and both the Winchester 1905 and 1907 autoloaders.

Scoured some auctions and picked up a few of each....some I'll keep and some I'll resell.

99's are in .300 savage, .303 savage, and 250-300 savage.

The 1905 is in .32 Win and the 1907 is in .351 Win.

Anybody got any of these as heirlooms or collect them?  99's have a bit of a cult following and I can now see why - fantastic feeling rifle.

1905 and 1907 make me think of prison guards, railroad security and bootlegger shootouts.  I tried to bid on one 1907 but it had a small plaque on the stock that said "Property of Folsom Prison" and an ID number.  That got pretty pricey.

My buddy has a Savage 99 in 308 that we keep out at the ranch.  They are great shooting guns.   

• Like 1