The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

842A388F-07C1-4EFE-BF68-BFC38E178EBC.jpeg

My Dad had one of those. He originally bought it for my Mom. I forget the story but it was his conceal carry for a number of years. He switched to a snub nose Ruger 38 Special in the mid 70's. When he died, my stepmother kept all his guns. The ones she didn't sell, she gave to her kin. One of them got this pistol, the Ruger 38 Special and a Marlin .30-30 saddle gun. He was going to clean them up and give them to me, but his wife decided to leave him that week and took the guns. Lord knows who has them now. That was a sweet firing little .32

Edited by RPM

My Dad had one of those. He originally bought it for my Mom. I forget the story but it was his conceal carry for a number of years. He switched to a snub nose Ruger 38 Special in the mid 70's. When he died, my stepmother kept all his guns. The ones she didn't sell, she gave to her kin. One of them got this pistol, the Ruger 38 Special and a Marlin .30-30 saddle gun. He was going to clean them up and give them to me, but his wife decided to leave him that week and took the guns. Lord knows who has them now. That was a sweet firing little .32

She took his guns? Wow that's savage. And save some "F you" for the kids who actually accepted that gift. Shitty people, them.

So, way upthread I asked for recommendations for a 9mm based on features I wanted. They are:

1) metal, not plastic

2) hammer not striker

3) "real" safety

4) American made

The choice seemed to be Sig, but those fuckers are expensive.  I've discovered that the Beretta M9 meets all of my criteria.  So, gun guys, is there any reason that I shouldn't buy that gun?

36 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

fucking $400 higher than the M9.  
I'm a complete jerkoff, and I doubt I'll shoot 500 rounds in a year, and 400 of those will be aimed at bud light cans. Does it even matter to me?

Aren’t you limited in magazine capacity out there?

But the M9 is a fine gun. Grabagun has the M9 California approved 10 rounder for as low as $553.48 plus $7.99 shipping.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Get your son to “borrow” one from his .mil unit.

He's a Drill Sgt. these days. 

And, thanks for the opportunity to fucking BRAG.

He's applied for, and been accepted to Aviation.  He heads to Warrant Officer school in October, and once that is done, he's off to Ft. Rucker for 2 years of flight training.  He wants to fly Apaches.  We'll see what happens. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I looked at those at Turners.  The salesman said that they're terrific guns.  I'd just prefer to buy something manufactured domestically. 

And FWIW, I didn't consider any compacts, because I have no desire to carry, and for fucks sake, getting a CCW out here isn't easy.  Contrary to popular belief, it does happen, but it's a PITA and it's not my bag anyway.

Is there another reason that I'm missing that I should consider a compact? 

The first generation Ruger LC9 meets all except it has a polymer frame. I don't think they make them new anymore, but you could probably find a used one without spending too much. It's a compact pistol, but with magazine restrictions there really isn't a need to go full size unless you just like the way it feels in your hands.

Not wanting a polymer framed pistol is kinda like Wild Bill Hickok carrying his 1851 cap and ball revolvers well into the cartridge era, except if he lived an extra 15 years and was still carrying them. Obviously they worked for him and weren't a problem, but there was better technology available that had been proven. I like old school guns, too, so I get it in a way. But if you could care less about history or old schoolness and just distrust polymer frames, well I guess there are plenty of clouds getting uppity.

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So, way upthread I asked for recommendations for a 9mm based on features I wanted. They are:

1) metal, not plastic

2) hammer not striker

3) "real" safety

4) American made

The choice seemed to be Sig, but those fuckers are expensive.  I've discovered that the Beretta M9 meets all of my criteria.  So, gun guys, is there any reason that I shouldn't buy that gun?

9mm, 1911?  I promise you will shoot a 1911 better than any other platform.  Even a crappy 1911 trigger is miles ahead of the DA/SA triggers on most production models.  Between the Beretta and the CZ, I'd go CZ as Brat stated.  They really are fantastic.  And whatever model you get, put night sights on it.  Just in case.....

8 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Not wanting a polymer framed pistol is kinda like Wild Bill Hickok carrying his 1851 cap and ball revolvers well into the cartridge era, except if he lived an extra 15 years and was still carrying them. Obviously they worked for him and weren't a problem, but there was better technology available that had been proven. I like old school guns, too, so I get it in a way. But if you could care less about history or old schoolness and just distrust polymer frames, well I guess there are plenty of clouds getting uppity.

Agreed.  The only concession I'd give to metal frames are the weight.  They are easier to manage recoil with.  They "feel" solid in your hands.  Same principal of getting a young shooter a rifle with a wood stock vs. synthetic.  Just a preference thing.  

You are describing your needs as a 1911.  In 9mm with large hands, the Commander size should be about perfect.  Enough weight that recoil will be negligible and large enough frame to be comfortable.  You can get a used Colt for around $700.  For around $1000, Dan Wesson can be had in the used market.  There are some great semi-custom 1911s on the market for $1500-2500 used.  They are $3-4000 guns new.  

I carried a Commander for many years.  I have since gone Glock w/RMR because it is an evolution in defensive pistols.  Can't beat a 1911 trigger but weight, accuracy, capacity, ease of use are also factors that come into play.  

On 2/20/2020 at 4:32 PM, Gil Bang said:

1) metal, not plastic

2) hammer not striker

3) "real" safety

4) American made

I just read the 1-4 and was going to post M9 and then I saw you were already there so now posting to confirm your choice.  I have two Beretta PX4 9mm Full and Sub-compact and they meet all but are polymer frame.

I've shot several 96-FS which is the civilian equivalent of the M9 and found them very easy to shoot.

• Like 2

Finally ditched my Shockwave Blade with pistol grip adapter and installed a proper "brace” made by CNC Warrior on my M92. Also ditched my Manticore Arms handguard with optic and went back to old school wood. This thing is so got damn sexy now that I caught myself lubing up my butthole and I ain't even gay. a52ae18776036b2208b6e2da0bba1891.jpg

Edited by cabowabo
  • Like 2

Finally ditched my Shockwave Blade with pistol grip adapter and installed a proper "brace” made by CNC Warrior on my M92. Also ditched my Manticore Arms handguard with optic and went back to old school wood. This thing is so got damn sexy now that I caught myself lubing up my butthole and I ain't even gay. a52ae18776036b2208b6e2da0bba1891.jpg

Rules! Pics?
Wait, wtf

On 2/22/2020 at 12:28 PM, cabowabo said:

Bet that is a loud little SOB...sexy as hell!

12 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Get a short nagant and do the same.

Had one.  Nasty little carbine with a metal butt-plate.  7.62x54 is a hot round.  Out of that carbine, it was a PITA to shoot.  Thought about adding a new stock and/or decelerator pad.  Finally just sold it.  

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:
22 hours ago, BabaYaga said:
Bet that is a loud little SOB...sexy as hell!

It's not so much the noise (and it's loud a fuck) but the concussion from the blast. Feels like someone is slapping you upside the head everytime the trigger is pulled. Hurts so good.

Like being at a busy range, next to a guy with a muzzle break shooting a heavy caliber.  WHOMP.  Boxes your ears.