The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Yeah, from Falling Sky's Corp in Kyle.
I usually run low recoil 00 in it. Not frequently, but it is more manageable and not as bad as you might think. It's bad, but I can run it pretty fast.
With a single point sling you could conceivably conceal carry the fucking thing. Not that I would or you should. But could.

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old—
This knight so bold—
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow—
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be—
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied—
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Why the hell did you buy that?

It's compact, easy to store and access, and accurate enough if someone's coming through the door.  A handgun would probably work just as well but I like the 12 ga stopping power.  I literally will not use it otherwise.  Why do you care?

What was wild at Academy was that they were out of all 12 ga ammo except birdshot and most other ammo too (except 9 mil which they had).  Checker said they've had a serious run on guns and ammo this week.

3 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

What was wild at Academy was that they were out of all 12 ga ammo except birdshot and most other ammo too (except 9 mil which they had).  Checker said they've had a serious run on guns and ammo this week.

I'm feeling increasingly smug about all of the 45 ACP and 9mm and 5.56 I've got stockpiled.

Plenty of guns and plenty of bullets just in case Negan decides to make a move while we are all socially distancing. 

It's compact, easy to store and access, and accurate enough if someone's coming through the door.  A handgun would probably work just as well but I like the 12 ga stopping power.  I literally will not use it otherwise.  Why do you care?

I don’t care. Buy what you want. It’s a horrible defense weapon.

On 3/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

I love SGAmmo.com, primarily because the shipping is extremely reasonable and they ship your order almost immediately.... except now that I look at the website they are saying it might be Friday the 20th for orders placed today. 

Guess errbody's prepping right now. 

I had heard that they charge sales tax to Texas now, do they?  The same guy also has another site I was unaware of until recently called ammoempire.com.  The hook there is that shipping is free.  Not sure if they charge sales tax to Texas, seems like either neither would or both would.

I had heard that they charge sales tax to Texas now, do they?  The same guy also has another site I was unaware of until recently called ammoempire.com.  The hook there is that shipping is free.  Not sure if they charge sales tax to Texas, seems like either neither would or both would.

I can’t confirm specifically with sdammo but most of the online deals are now having to charge tax to Texas. Everything I’ve purchased since late fall now has tax...

What’s funny is that some of PSA’s deals have had weird tax charges, like my 300blk upper had like $.70 for tax. Yet the day before it had like $20 for tax.

I just ordered a few more cases of my usual 4 calibers from LAX Ammo. Shipping is sightly more expensive and takes longer than SG, but their in-house brands are pretty decent quality and cheaper if you have time to wait. Since I already have a lot of stuff in storage I figured I could wait. (assuming society doesn't collapse and UPS still delivers)

Don't look for any 5.56 55gr V-Max because I got their last three cases. 

• Like 1

Could someone point me out in the right direction? I might be interested in trying to replace the high gloss stainless steel 6 round cylinder of my 5144 Ruger Vaquero .45 Long Colt. I bought it used probably about 4 years ago. I was not looking and did not notice any indications at the time of purchase, but over time there is some light corrosion that starts to show up.

Dumb or not I can gently buff it with car scratch lotion and a mop on the end of a drill constantly rotating and changing direction. But again over time it starts to show up. I believe I've done this twice now. To the naked eye not looking for anything, probably wouldn't notice. Point it out and shine a light it's very apparent, either from where it will come back or the actual buffing effort.

It seems like a lot of browsers make searching for stuff difficult. Should I just contact Ruger customer service and ask if they sell the cylinder? I believe it my be similar to the Blackhawk. What do you think are some of the things I should do? I'm trying to bring the value of the gone up closer to its true mark because I don't have it in my heart to be dishonest about the problem. It also has a .45 ACP cylinder that is just fine.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:18 PM, BurntEyes said:

I personally would go with the Beretta PX4 Storm way before the KelTec and for home defense I like it more than the PC9 due to a little shorter length and a "bullpupish" design. About the same MSRP as the Ruger but probably a tad more right now because it's more "tacticool".

Enhanced_Images_hotspot_right_or_left_ejection_CX4.jpg.9c51a73f4cde256b7516a361d2d74ebe.jpg

As stated I've spent many hours shooting one.  Honestly, it's oly drawback is the size and cost.  It's footprint is that of an AR.  I do like the robust little Kel Tec in that you can break it down and it fits in the smallest of bags.  At the end of the day, the benefit of either is from it's stability and longer sight radius; ie. easier to shoot well.  If I'm looking at PX4 price-points rifles, I'm going with the CZ Scorpion.  All are great options, especially for smaller-framed shooters that are recoil and report sensitive.  

34 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Pretty interesting concept here.

Turn an AR lower into a precision bolt gun by pinning a new upper - no mods needed...same mags, etc.

https://uintahprecision.com/

Options for both the AR-15 and 10 platforms in various calibers.

Yet another chapter on why the AR is the best all around platform to own.  Being a modular design, the various configurations are almost endless.  

33 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yet another chapter on why the AR is the best all around platform to own.  Being a modular design, the various configurations are almost endless.  

If the accuracy is there as it appears to be , it'll be an alternative to the RPR style rifles and give a user the option of having two uppers and one lower for easily matching the weapon to changing circumstances in the field.....or just be cool to have especially to take advantage of the ballistics in the .224 Val and 6/6.5CM.

15 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

If the accuracy is there as it appears to be , it'll be an alternative to the RPR style rifles and give a user the option of having two uppers and one lower for easily matching the weapon to changing circumstances in the field.....or just be cool to have especially to take advantage of the ballistics in the .224 Val and 6/6.5CM.

That was essentially the logic of the new M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle

On 3/15/2020 at 8:30 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

Also, I'm pretty sure I can still go to the skeet range with my self-puller and it still be social distancing, so that's what I am going to do later today after we watch church on TV. 

I do a lot of self pulling, but only in the privacy of my home.

Pretty interesting concept here.
Turn an AR lower into a precision bolt gun by pinning a new upper - no mods needed...same mags, etc.
https://uintahprecision.com/
Options for both the AR-15 and 10 platforms in various calibers.
Dunno there. AR trigger groups are the best there is for semi-autos, but a bolt gun with ANY tuning has a far better trigger.

Or am I wrong?

9 hours ago, Parliament said:

Dunno there. AR trigger groups are the best there is for semi-autos, but a bolt gun with ANY tuning has a far better trigger.

Or am I wrong?

I don't think you are wrong that the trigger would be the weak link, but there are plenty of precision AR trigger groups.  These bolt action uppers (to me) seem to be able to squeeze the last bit of inherent accuracy out of a lower.  The more precision the lower, the more precision the platform.  They're guaranteeing sub MOA accuracy fwiw.

I don't have a dog in the fight but I find the concept intriguing and the next logical step in the evolution of the platform.      

If anyone needs 5.56 ammo I’m selling.

I got out of the 5.56 game. 300bo + 6.5c is all I’m doing now in long guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve got a couple of thousand rounds of 5.56 myself. Haven’t had one in 6 or 7 years. I’ll get another eventually.

CheaperThanDirt.com gonna do their thing.  What they have left in 5.56 is $0.75 a pop or more.

40 S&W at $0.65 and .22 at $0.09

They've never been scared to jack up pricing when demand skyrockets.....They seem to be able to ignore the backlash and generate enough business to offset the customers they piss off.  They'll be a good 50% higher than anyone else during this. To each their own i guess. 

Edit - I don't see much of anything in stock in 5.56 for less than half a buck per round plus shipping......that's more than twice what I paid for bulk on the 8th of this month from SGAmmo.  Plenty of searches on the pricing compilers show prices still below $0.30 but there's an update lag and its not really in stock.

Strange times......

Edited by Reagan1k

Yes. Like brand new, firearm and one mag no box. Face to Face Austin area, PM if interested

That’s ok. Just got done putting ameriglo hackathorns on this one. Now just waiting for some hyve goodies. Also taking recs I’m enlarged slide stop and mag release. Practicing reloads from aiwb this weekend and I’m considerably slower than with my full-size g17 in same holster setup.
ae301f179278eae1dd993435d986b1c5.jpg
dc340265ddfa43941c48971f3bae7e10.jpg

How do you like the side car mag carrier?

Does it not dig into your belly button while seated, say driving?

I’ve been interested in upgrading to an appendix holster with sidecar, now that I’m comfortable with appendix carry. Really like appendix carry now and tired of having my mag clipped to my pocket, which often means I don’t carry my extra mag or it’s in my backpack.

And not sure if I’ve posted my new toy along with last years new toy:

2020 - 10.5” 300blk pistol

d0c88893743cf93e000fd0717c01eb66.jpg

2019 - 12.5” .308 pistol

42316e1a47097a8771926fef118b15b9.jpg

And not pictured is my 5.56 that’s now in a 16” configuration. Also not pictured is my SandmanK that’s still in jail...

Sadly after these pics were taken they were lost in a boat accident.

• Like 1

I went to the new range in round rock Shoot Point Blank off 45 till near greenlawn.

Seems nice. $20/hr or membership (basic membership $20/month; 25% off for veterans). The grand opening offer was 75% off the first month. So I signed up for a membership and it was like $4. There is also an annual fee of $5 for a liability waver.

If I go once a month it’ll be cheaper or close to the same as Reds. If I don’t seem to make it that often, I’ll have to cancel the membership.

The lanes are what you’d expect, just not very long. Perfect for pistol time.

Their gun selection for pistols is pretty good. I liked their inventory of CZs and it was good to see some popular cheap models like Rock Island armory and Canik.

They had ammo and like the guns, the prices were close to retail. No huge discounts. I think transfer fees were high.

You can basically turn it into a 6.5” barreled ar style platform.

Longer sight radius, better control, pistol brace, etc.

The ar9 is a hot build right now, it’s my next planned build for this year.

Mainly I want a platform where I could use everyone else’s glock mags without having to have a glock over my more blue-blood HK... lol

Get on your front site!!!

I kid, but do want to know wtf the green alien looking thing is in your yard. The blur makes me curious.

Also, I'm. A Triji fanboi and those types of sites were on sale on Amazon for $80, so now all of my Glocks have them.

Middle kids puke green bike with training wheels. On the damn sidewalk. We live in a culdesac. Get out there and play chicken with cars or something.

So far really liking these ameriglos. Have some old ass trigi TFO’s on my old ass saxd40. They don’t work that great but I haven’t taken it out of the safe as long as I can remember. Might need to turn that one into a trunk gun in the minivan.

Regarding 9mm at builds: what benefit do you get from a pistol cartridge in a rifle? Serious question. Nowhere near the same stopping power right?

Oh yeah: sidecar type carriers....they’re a different. I have a tier 1 concealed for my shield 9 that actually separates the two of you want to do so. It’s just so much wider than it needs to be because of that. My g17 and it’s poly80 lower I usually carry aiwb with no extra mag in the side and have no problem.

Lately my belly has been pushing outward because of drinking and eating and depression and kids and shit. That’s the reason I picked up the g43. Like I was saying, so far the Amazon special for that holster works as well as anything in the comfort and functionality department.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, deft said:

Regarding 9mm at builds: what benefit do you get from a pistol cartridge in a rifle? Serious question. Nowhere near the same stopping power right?

It's cheaper to shoot and won't kill the shooter with muzzle blast.  Especially when fired inside.  But I'm with you.  It's as heavy at a .223 with half the power.

8 hours ago, deft said:

Recoil and report basically.  It's nowhere near as effective as a .223 obviously, but it's also easier to shoot for smaller framed shooters.  Example, my kids LOVE my friends PX4 vs. my AR.  It's just easier and more fun for them.  Coupled with a sidearm, often with interchangeable mags, it suits many people to pair them up as you would a lever-action and revolver.  Options like the Ruger are also cheaper.  Just a preference thing.  Personally, I love shooting them.  Just a lot of fun.  

Ironically, for those concerned with penetration of interior walls, ball 9mm ammo is much more dangerous in terms of penetration than 223

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1