The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Regarding 9mm at builds: what benefit do you get from a pistol cartridge in a rifle? Serious question. Nowhere near the same stopping power right?

For home defense the ar9 is kinda a bridge between a pistol and an ar15.

So a longer sight radius, more manageable recoil, added velocity and shared mags with/than a pistol.

More compact than an AR15 (outside of an sbr or pistol) also the ability to suppress vs an ar15 with a shorter barrel. A sub-10” barrel on a 5.56 is still gonna be painful in a home without earpro even while supressed, whereas an AR9 suppressed in a home would be near safe levels.

Almost everyone I know who has an AR9, has them as their home defense firearm. Of them, most have them suppressed. They’ve replaced their shottys and almost all of them own a glock so they already had mags galore.
  • Like 1

I'll add that we gun folks here also have all have a bit of lemming in us and the 9mm carbines have become all the range and trend. Some if not a lot of folks will fall in line and get one.

This is no way a slam. Just a note of the current industry trend and our (gun nuts) desire to obtain and own the next new thing. Because we're junkies in need of a fix. Note, I used pronouns that include me.

Lol also this...

Which is why I bought a 300blk, we didn’t really need it but it was time to buy my son a rifle we could share and I really wanted to jump on the bandwagon especially since I had my first supressor in jail.

Same goes for the AR9... again it’s chasing the dragon.

I’ll also add my own boogaloo thought is that I have .308, AR 5.56, AR 300blk, 1911 .45 but my EDC is HK 9mm which means I can’t take/share mags... so if I had an AR9 I could use everyone else’s Glock mags with ease. Really it’s just me justifying my govt check coming soon should go towards more firearms.

I mean hell seeing y’all wheel guns in here always tempts me to want one

I went into Academy just now to get some new hinges for my igloo cooler and the guns and ammo aisles look like empty bread and water shelves during a hurricane (“Limit 3 Units per customer”). The line at the gun counter was three deep to look at overpriced low-quality Academy guns. 

All I could do was giggle a tiny bit and feel a little satisfied that for all of my anxiety this week, not being sufficiently armed wasn’t part of it. 

All that being said, I regularly order 3-4 flats of AA 20 ga #9 from Academy each month to feed my skeet habit because they sell it so cheap with free shipping. If they start to cut that supply train off I’m going to be pissed. Might have to finally start reloading all these hulls I have lying around (if I can find powder and shot dammit). 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Almost everyone I know who has an AR9, has them as their home defense firearm. Of them, most have them suppressed. They’ve replaced their shottys and almost all of them own a glock so they already had mags galore.

This.  Basically every advantage of a pistol, but on steroids.  Suppressed, they are a blast to shoot.  

I LOVE shooting pistol caliber carbines, but I have to hold my nose when it comes to the aesthetics. 

There's something about the large mag-well and the skinny magazine that makes me cringe.  Doesn't stop me from using them, but for selfish reasons I wish the mag wells extended so the appearance was more like the traditional rifle caliber versions. 

I'm sure I'll get over it but I love the function while hating the looks.  I guess it's my OCD wanting clean lines and consistent dimensions after handling the larger rifles for so many years.

Edited by Reagan1k

I LOVE shooting pistol caliber carbines, but I have to hold my nose when it comes to the aesthetics. There's something about the large mag-well and the skinny magazine that makes me cringe.  .

I have no idea what you're talking about. Edit. Looks even better with a magazine.

13913a32d47d604df6fc25d80e72b953.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Goddamit.

105044089_ScreenShot2020-03-19at15_10_05.png.669a0836fec211d9b44590cd1bc6b4e7.png

Yep - and the worst part about this is that as ammo mfgs ramp up to fill needs / restock, they'll move production away from less popular calibers and then all of a sudden supply of that stuff will drop causing those prices to rise along the demand curve as well.

Seeing tons of ammo not in this list:
9mm
45acp
5.56 & 223
7.62 & 308 (still decent amounts of hunting 308 boxes tho)
300blk
7.62x39

Up until today I was seeing 300blk jhp rounds still on the shelves and only all the fmj was being bought up. Now most of it is gone.

Cabelas was a long ass line of people buying firearms today.

Guy at my lgs was joking that he’s had multiple people from Cali and anti-gun come in wanting to buy firearms. Had a Toyota guy come in telling him he’s anti-gun but “I guess I get it now” and also complained when he was presented a 4473 to fill out. Asked why he had to do that, then after explanation asked “why he wouldn’t have to do this at a gunshow?!?”

Amusing.

19 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Yep - and the worst part about this is that as ammo mfgs ramp up to fill needs / restock, they'll move production away from less popular calibers and then all of a sudden supply of that stuff will drop causing those prices to rise along the demand curve as well.

I found some slightly more expensive on Grabagun with no limits, so I bought 40 boxes just to add to my stash. All in with shipping + the tiny bit of extra tax it works out to 10% more than the Academy price.

But the Academy lowest market price + free shipping - even including sales tax - is going to be hard to beat in the long run. I sure hope this is temporary. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

I have no idea what you're talking about. Edit. Looks even better with a magazine.

13913a32d47d604df6fc25d80e72b953.jpg

Nice Zenith. Is that an Omega-9k on it?

Now that HK is exporting their pistols finally, if I’m ever reach enough I’d love to buy one of theirs.

Until then I wouldn’t mind a GSG or Zenith arms MP5 clone.

9 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I went into Academy just now to get some new hinges for my igloo cooler and the guns and ammo aisles look like empty bread and water shelves during a hurricane (“Limit 3 Units per customer”). The line at the gun counter was three deep to look at overpriced low-quality Academy guns. 

All I could do was giggle a tiny bit and feel a little satisfied that for all of my anxiety this week, not being sufficiently armed wasn’t part of it. 

All that being said, I regularly order 3-4 flats of AA 20 ga #9 from Academy each month to feed my skeet habit because they sell it so cheap with free shipping. If they start to cut that supply train off I’m going to be pissed. Might have to finally start reloading all these hulls I have lying around (if I can find powder and shot dammit). 

You can’t be that anxious if you’re going to academy for cooler hinges. 

anyway, recs for a polymer owb holster with thumb break?  And belt or paddle?  Oh, for open carry

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

In relationship to the Covid guns and ammo run local LGS guy called me on an item today.

Store was packed all day on guns and ammo runs. Particular story he told me was 2 different 60+ women came in today looking to make their first gun purchases.

The irony is tragic. Both owners are over 60 too and I fear for their well being. Nobody in the Podunk towns know wtf to do as I don't think they understand what is really going on.

I was the only person in the gun stores I was in last Friday.  Of course, every wyomingite has multiple platforms and pallets of ammunition. 

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

4” barrel? I’m assuming so with the slider. How does the extended handguard work with the Silncerco faux can? 

Yeah, it’s a Micro. The faux can was the first thing I removed when I bought it. Pretty sure this handguard would be too long for it. 

Joining the club.... My wife wanted a shotgun all of a sudden, but we ended up buying an AR-15 - a Springfield Saint...  https://www.rkguns.com/springfield-saint-desert-fde-5-56mm-ar-15-30rd-16-rifle-w-free-float-handguard-st916556fdeffh.html

my ex boss runs a training school so I listened to him.

Have a pistol that my FIL gave me, but it was an interesting second gun purchase. Spent a lot on a whim, so I’m sure we overpaid but oh well. 

18 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Am glad I bought 500 rounds of .327 Federal and 200 rounds of .32 S&W Long last year. For my two Rugers (Single Seven & SP101).

Have gobs of .380 to share with my kids, but am too late about replenishing the 9mm after buying the two SR9 Rugers late last year. Only have 150 rounds of 115 grain range ammo for them - not even enough for a function check. I had given several hundred round of the 9mm to my kids the last couple of years.

Plenty of .357 & 38 Special. Also 200 rounds of .45 Colt for the SAA commemorative.

Still have six bricks of .22lr and one of .22 Short

Only have 120 rounds of .30-30 for my 103 year old Winchester 1894 levergun. 

11 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Saint is a nice gun. I'm personally interested in their .308 AR10 but can't justify the $$$ compared to just buying another one from PSA. 

That said, a cheap 12 gauge pump gun usually sn't a bad choice. 

I want the Saint .308 as well, PSA just had them for $1100 which seemed reasonable. Unfortunately with $25 oil I’m not buying anytime soon. 

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was the only person in the gun stores I was in last Friday.  Of course, every wyomingite has multiple platforms and pallets of ammunition. 

We had active shooter training at our company a few months ago.  The county constable instructor put up a US map of all the mass shootings in the last 30 years.  None in Wyoming.  I popped off and said - Hey, Wyoming looks safe!  Cop turned around and said “that’s because they are all armed; hard targets not soft targets”. 

• Like 1

Just now, CycleTex87 said:

We had active shooter training at our company a few months ago.  The county constable instructor put up a US map of all the mass shootings in the last 30 years.  None in Wyoming.  I popped off and said - Hey, Wyoming looks safe!  Cop turned around and said “that’s because they are all armed; hard targets not soft targets”. 

He’s not wrong. There’s an assured mutual destruction thing here.  

• Like 1

I’d buy that off of ya were I still there. You shouldn’t have too hard a time offloading.

I picked up a ghost connector for my new 43. Trigger seemed heavier after install. Turns out I already have a “minus” connector. Any experience?

Who are these people who all of a sudden need ammo?

If I didn't know better I'd suspect that the industry uses excuses to fabricate shortages / demand to unload their shit at higher prices.

Honestly I’m not seeing much of any markup on ammo. There is no shortage at the manufacturing side and no laws restricting so it’s really just a run in in-stock supply.

However that never stopped cheaperthandirt from trying to fuck over everyone and markup prices any chance they could. Fuck them again, they deserve a certain type of hell for the shit they pull.

I just don't get the runs on ammo / guns when shit gets hairy.

We're comfortable being armed for (among other reasons): SHTF scenarios in the first place...

So when SHTF we need to all of a sudden run out and make sure we have ammo? Doesn't every gun owner already have a pile saved up?

• Like 2

It seems to be more first time buyers in this situation.

Like I just went out and topped off my hunting and self defense ammo more than my Funtime ammo. Mainly because I still want to be able to take a hog or two if we don’t get put into a full lockdown.

Seems like a lot of first time and non-gun enthusiasts have been keeping this run in high gear. The types that might have a gun but just a single box of ammo they bought a while back type...

None of my friends have been stocking up this week, in fact one of my friends has been selling off about 5k rounds of .308

10 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

10 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

However that never stopped cheaperthandirt from trying to fuck over everyone and markup prices any chance they could. Fuck them again, they deserve a certain type of hell for the shit they pull.

Then don't buy from them? 

If only grocery stores would raise the price of toilet paper right now. 

6 pmags for 556. 30 rounders. 3 with ammo

$75

Leander. Get at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

d194d9cc53854a236b56e4c224ee9ca6.jpg

1070 rounds 556 as well I could be talked into selling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I was closer I might hit you up. Mess ain’t worth shipping for a gun I don’t own.