The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

8 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Anyone know of a decent place still stocked with 9mm?

I was at Academy yesterday and they have it...if you get to the store about 15-20 minutes before they open and hurry to the back when they let you in. Also it was a 3 unit limit and that's NOT per caliber. 3 boxes, period. I went to get a shotgun for the house (been putting it off for years) and got 2 boxes of shells and a box of 9mm for my Glock. Dudes that look like they haven't moved quickly in years were urgently double-timing to the back of the store. 

So I have maybe a couple hundred rounds of 9mm now, 115 grain. Store just posted on fb that they have 8000 rounds of 125 grain coming. Not sure if I need to get in line over these for 2 boxes. 

I don’t know about interstate shipping but I could post their info if you want to inquire about 1 off out of state purchases. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Just checked a couple of places. Ammo to go, which I've used in the past, has some 9mm. FMJ but ...

9mm Ammo - Cheap Prices, In-Stock Today
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/pistol-ammo-9mm

Should I assume no more $140/k Black Friday deals...

Edited by Archer
M:k typo

On 3/20/2020 at 9:03 PM, Speedtrucker said:

It seems to be more first time buyers in this situation.

Like I just went out and topped off my hunting and self defense ammo more than my Funtime ammo. Mainly because I still want to be able to take a hog or two if we don’t get put into a full lockdown.

Seems like a lot of first time and non-gun enthusiasts have been keeping this run in high gear. The types that might have a gun but just a single box of ammo they bought a while back type...

None of my friends have been stocking up this week, in fact one of my friends has been selling off about 5k rounds of .308

Yeah, I went to Academy last night and then the Frisco Gun Club.  Cleaned out on everything.  Pistols.  Ammo.  The works.  I was kind of pissed as I was itching to get a new EDC if the right option presented itself.  

Poor Man Can:

Tape an empty plastic soda bottle to the muzzle of a .22, and be sure to punch a bunch of holes around the circumference, plus the center of the bottom. If properly done it should work to help contain the Report.

Edited by Armybrat

Son came by (maintained SD outside) to set some rat traps inside the boxed in eave sofit  up outside in one corner of the house to get whatever critter has been creating all the bumping noise up there for the past week. Shit’s been driving me crazy half the day.

Gave him about a thousand rounds of ammo (.5.56, .44 mag, .357 Mag, .380, .22lr) just to pad his stash.

I got excited to find a couple more boxes of 9mm in my own stash, which gives me a total of 250rounds for the two SR9s and the CW9. Thought I had run out of that caliber.

Have plenty more .380 and .357/.38 Special, & .22. Also found several more boxes of 12ga 00 Buck.

Poor Man Can:
Tape an empty plastic soda bottle to the muzzle of a .22, and be sure to punch a bunch of holes around the circumference, plus the center of the bottom. If properly done it should work to help contain the Report.

Pretty sure that’s technically illegal. I knew a guy that used to do that and stuff plastic bags in the two liter bottle. If you are gonna do that, might as well use an oil filter.

Well... got a new toy today... need to add some things to make it “functional” but “panic” buying a gun while you have money to burn and are stocked in other firearms means you buy something that will sink faster during the boating accident.

63557bf4d209c951366fd649993ecea9.jpg

The magazine side loads. Is about the size of a small pizza box it seems like.

b021d86bd6e549776c5c1e875fe5a789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

I wonder if 9mm will hit 70 cents a round before settling back down.

That is exactly what I paid today for a 50 round box of hollow points.  Went to a small gun place near where I live that usually pretty well-stocked.  He was pretty wiped out.  Apologized profusely, and he’d had to buy what he could find and they were overcharging him.  Had a few boxes of hollow points and a few boxes of FMJ (which were cheaper).

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Well... got a new toy today... need to add some things to make it “functional” but “panic” buying a gun while you have money to burn and are stocked in other firearms means you buy something that will sink faster during the boating accident.

63557bf4d209c951366fd649993ecea9.jpg

The magazine side loads. Is about the size of a small pizza box it seems like.

b021d86bd6e549776c5c1e875fe5a789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are fun.

spacer.png

If you figure that you likely unload a whole magazine pretty quickly shooting a 9mm or .45, you actually spend less money per unit time shooting the big boom boom. Don't try shooting it prone. Trust me.

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Those are fun.

spacer.png

If you figure that you likely unload a whole magazine pretty quickly shooting a 9mm or .45, you actually spend less money per unit time shooting the big boom boom. Don't try shooting it prone. Trust me.

I couldn’t decide if having your body aligned behind the force would be better or worse. 

suggestions on glass? Was thinking about getting IR for it because it’s already the most expensive item I own, might as well be more expensive. I’ve heard IR isn’t really all that great though. Thoughts?

I had a Vortex on mine, but just iron sights now after a cousin's fiancee scoped himself pretty bad. It's just a fun gun for blasting stuff, so no need for fancy glass. If you want to get into super long range stuff then I would get some quality glass. As far as best position to shoot, shoot it off a bench, off hand, or with a tall enough bipod to sit on the ground. The muzzle break will slow the recoil down, but it still pushes you back enough that your body needs to be able to move to absorb it.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:53 AM, Lat22 said:

A boring friend of mine talked me into getting a motion activated sprinkler. I probably should not be discharging a firearm in the city limits, no matter how quiet it is.

Have a Heart trap, can of cat food,, Gamo pellet to the melon, SSS, it’s a simple solution

On 3/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, Armybrat said:

Poor Man Can:

19 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Pretty sure that’s technically illegal. I knew a guy that used to do that and stuff plastic bags in the two liter bottle. If you are gonna do that, might as well use an oil filter.

Technically a federal felony, 10 years/$250k. But hey, who’s going to know, it’s not like you are posting it on the internet.

Technically a federal felony, 10 years/$250k. But hey, who’s going to know, it’s not like you are posting it on the internet.

Yeah, I’m aware of the penalty. Let’s not act like it is some big secret that you could do that thought. I’ve never done it and don’t see the sense in it and to be honest, I don’t see how it would work on anything.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I had a Vortex on mine, but just iron sights now after a cousin's fiancee scoped himself pretty bad. It's just a fun gun for blasting stuff, so no need for fancy glass. If you want to get into super long range stuff then I would get some quality glass. As far as best position to shoot, shoot it off a bench, off hand, or with a tall enough bipod to sit on the ground. The muzzle break will slow the recoil down, but it still pushes you back enough that your body needs to be able to move to absorb it.

Yeah, had a friend that flipped one years back.  Bought the rifle, scope and a few hundred rounds for less than $1,200.  We played around with it.  Thing is, it's so heavy, it just pushes you back.  Not snappy at all.  The muzzle blast is nasty.  Stay behind that thing when it fires (spectators).  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yeah, had a friend that flipped one years back.  Bought the rifle, scope and a few hundred rounds for less than $1,200.  We played around with it.  Thing is, it's so heavy, it just pushes you back.  Not snappy at all.  The muzzle blast is nasty.  Stay behind that thing when it fires (spectators).  

I have a guy who make MASSIVE muzzle brakes..  I'm going to get him to make me one.  His BMG "barely kicks" according to him.  I don't have a picture of his brake but it is large and long.

Just now, Jhawk said:

I have a guy who make MASSIVE muzzle brakes..  I'm going to get him to make me one.  His BMG "barely kicks" according to him.  I don't have a picture of his brake but it is large and long.

Good plan.  We even popped a doe with this one.  Anti-climactic.  She just kind of fell over.  Meh.  We did have some glorious bowling ball explosions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, I’m aware of the penalty. Let’s not act like it is some big secret that you could do that thought. I’ve never done it and don’t see the sense in it and to be honest, I don’t see how it would work on anything.

It's certainly not a secret, I've seen it done and it works. I've seen it done a lot better (not by me) via other readily available means  and it works damn good.