The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

c2e08693ea9184d9eb11d319f011c15d.jpg

c301667c8af5a5089d41ea44eaf3e58c.jpg

cc3258c10d680d34f9e52bc5d29dda75.jpg

Anyone with personal experience w this M&P Shield?

Thoughts on the thumb safety vs no thumb safety? Anyone own it in the flat dark earth color? I’ve seen pics of it where it looks green and others where it looks more like a sand color.

Just looking at getting my first 9mm compact (that I hope to not lose in a boating accident like I did with my .45).

Looked at glock 26s and 43s as well, but the price point and reviews for the shield seem a little better.

I just sold one for a friend. I prefer my glocks and cz’s over the M&P’s. They just shoot better, better parts availability, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

c2e08693ea9184d9eb11d319f011c15d.jpg

c301667c8af5a5089d41ea44eaf3e58c.jpg

cc3258c10d680d34f9e52bc5d29dda75.jpg

Anyone with personal experience w this M&P Shield?

Thoughts on the thumb safety vs no thumb safety? Anyone own it in the flat dark earth color? I’ve seen pics of it where it looks green and others where it looks more like a sand color.

Just looking at getting my first 9mm compact (that I hope to not lose in a boating accident like I did with my .45).

Looked at glock 26s and 43s as well, but the price point and reviews for the shield seem a little better.

6fefde5eb64dae5045714ac6bc1245c7.jpg
4399ef97f56cec4a1ea4aca5c8cd314b.jpg

I’ve enjoyed mine. Might have a half a sliver at an edge of my g43 for shooting pleasure and ergos. I’m selling though since I want to stick to want platform for training reasons. Located in San Antonio. Dm me if interested.

Oh the tier1 concealed appendix holster is what oper8rz use in the field on mall duty. It’s legit.

46 minutes ago, GottaB said:

I liked the shield. My buddy had one. For the price now they are a great value too. The gen 1 had a gritty trigger and ran ~$500. Like the M&P full size, I think the gen 2 had an improved trigger and much less expensive.

Correct.

But I paid $240 after a $75 rebate promotion and a sale price when dealers were unloading the first version as the 2.0 was starting to ship.  Damn good deal for a good gun, gritty trigger notwithstanding.

Edited by Armybrat

16 hours ago, dirtonia said:

What model ya got? Been trying to get a 590 a1, but not a good time to be buying a home defense shotgun apparently...

Academy had a 590 a few days ago. In South Austin their trucks come Mon, Wed, Fri and those are the mornings most likely to find what you want. The guy said don’t trust the website for what’s available in-store because they usually sell fast enough that the website doesn’t keep up. Half the stuff listed as sold out is actually there in-store on the truck delivery mornings and gone by lunch. 

Corp of Engineers is now soliciting comments for a rule change to allow concealed carry on COE property.  This new rule change would align COE with NPS, USFS and BLM regarding carry laws.  Technically, if you are carrying on a COE lake and not in the act of a permitted activity (hunting, etc) and don't have a written permission from the COE lake superintendent, you are breaking the law.

Info and comments page linked in news release: https://www.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/News-Release-Article-View/Article/2148485/us-army-corps-of-engineers-publishes-request-for-comment-on-proposed-revision-t/

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 11:07 AM, BurntEyes said:

Fondren brought up the DE 50.

As has already been noted ammo is stupid expensive.

Someone mentioned them for hunting and it's easy to argue there are far, far, far better pistols for hunting. A lot of them. If that's the goal I'm happy to discuss.

The recoil is not horrible, because they do weight 80 pounds. 

What really, really, really sucks aside from ammo costs, is how fucking loud they are, particularly if you use an indoor range.

Its a cool novelty item. If you're buying it for that reason, go for it. As for being useful in any meaningful way, I never found it to be. It's one of the few guns I sold. No regrets on selling, but I was glad I owned it. Sounds odd, but true.

I just want to take it to Centerville and blow shit up.  I have an HK 9 and S&W 40 for carrying.  Also an FN 9 compact.  All great guns.  I want the DE just because.  Either that or a PS90.

8 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Had a buddy with a ps90. I hated it. Felt weird, handled weird.

Trigger is a hot mess.  Great little round, but the platform needs work.  I'd just go with an SBR with good glass and a can, but there are so many great choices.  

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I think you will find the DE quickly becomes a safe queen,

yep....

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, I would go with a Steyr Aug or Tavor over the PS90 for a bullpup rifle and I'm a FN fan. If you are looking to get an FN EBG the FN SCAR 20 is the answer. A pistol to have for having for me would be the HK Mark 23 or maybe Walther PPK because James Bond. But it's your money. I think you will find the DE quickly becomes a safe queen, but like I already said, it's the odd exception as I'm glad I owned it, glad I sold it.

No thanks on the SCAR.  Uglier than a Glock, imo.  But, the Aug is something I will consider. 

Decided to call the nfa branch since it had been 200+ days...

My can was approved on 4/6!!!

Now the wait for it to arrive at my LGS sometime soon... hopefully soon!

And when that stim check hits this coming week, I’m starting the clock on #2.

You know what feels longer than the 7mo wait for a form 4 approval?

The wait for my stamp to arrive at my LGS.

Talked to them back when I found out, he said he’d call when it arrives so I can come up right away.

Dying for my can... although I gotta order an extra muzzle device mount for my can.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

You won't buy a SCAR because it's 'ulgy'...

You and I have extremely different motivations when it comes to selecting firearms. 

The 308 SCAR or SCAR Heavy is among the most accurate carbines on the market today. There is a reason SOCOm standardized on them as have some other groups. 

But hey, who would want an "ulgy' rifle that is stupid accurate and mad reliable. 🤔

Hey, Glocks are the most reliable pistols on the market according to some people.  Ugly as shit though.  

I have a Ruger AR-15 that is much cheaper than that SCAR and it's plenty accurate w/ just iron sights.  40 yards out I damn near put two bullets through the same hole and I only paid $500 for that thing.

I've already got what I need for function in the arsenal.  Now I'm after shit that doesn't need to make sense, but I just want it.

44 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Like I said.. 

And our definition of arsenal is another way in which we differ I'm sure 

And you aren't putting two bullets through the same hole at 40 yards with iron sights on an AR.

Maybe.

Also, I don’t care if you believe me.  That wasn’t my point.  My point is that I’m satisfied with my aesthetically pleasing $500 rifle.  It’s plenty accurate.

25 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Fair enough.

For the record I don't give a shit what guns others choose to spend their money on. Mostly just sharing personal experience with variance firearms. 

Hate Glocks, Sigs and S&W, no problem don't buy em. Want a DE, PS90 and HiPoint, go for it.

Whoa!  Don’t put words in my mouth now!  I love my S&W .40.  That’s my favorite shit.  0 malfunctions with 1,000 rounds fired.  Great gun!

Is this a safe space? I bought a Sig P250 about 3 or 4 years ago and it might be one of my favorite guns to shoot. Being a DAO would I want it in a street fight or when shit gets real...no probably not. But once you find that trigger break point enough times I'm not sure I am more accurate with any other pistol I own. Some of the "gun guys' I know looked at me sideways when I bought it, but it was around $300 and fuck it, I love it.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

They should have been prosecuted for the shit they pulled on customers’ orders during the last go around.

Correct.  Raising prices with demand is one thing, but cancelling previously placed orders and relisting items at inflated pricing is egregious.

They basically dumped all of their existing orders in the trash and repriced everything which is far worse IMO than jacking up prices for new orders.

59 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Correct.  Raising prices with demand is one thing, but cancelling previously placed orders and relisting items at inflated pricing is egregious.

They basically dumped all of their existing orders in the trash and repriced everything which is far worse IMO than jacking up prices for new orders.

100% this.  A rising market is what it is.  Their methods are above and beyond, and bullshit.  

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Yep. I won't even go to their website as I'm unwilling to even provide them a click through.

There are a few "gun" companies that go way out of their way to fuck gun folks and they are very near if not at the top of that list.

I was glad to see their new store in Round Rock fail after less than a year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

They should have been prosecuted for the shit they pulled on customers’ orders during the last go around.

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Fuck cheaper than dirt. I hope those assholes close down.

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

So who are these folks who own CTD? We need to get some names out there.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Fuck these guys since 2012

On 4/17/2020 at 2:19 PM, Reagan1k said:

I typically don't think "price gouging" is a real thing, but canceling existing orders is a whole other level of bullshit. That's terrible. 

You sir are going to have to expand on 'gaudy as fuck". 
Were the price much much lower, I might consider buying one of the Gold zebra ones. It would match nicely with my nearly NIB condition, Raven Arms 25. Speaking of, I still need some fancy grips for that gun.

Holy shit, I’m pretty sure it was some gold striped mess.

I have got to get back to work.  This stay at home is making me crazy.   I have bought over 5000 rounds of 9mm, 1000 of .45,  a Clark custom .45, various spring kits for Glocks, recoil spring assemblies, etc...  Seems like everyday I get something from Brownells, MidwayUSA, AmmoToGo, etc...  Today, I installed a Zev Pro flat face trigger on a Gen 5 Glock 19.  Love it.  Very little Glock sludge in take-up and crisp 3.5 lb wall.  Been shooting a couple hundred rounds per week.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Ordered a new Leupold to go on my new Ruger Precision 22lr. Got some more XTac barnes 300 BLK coming. Got 250 round of 410 3" 6 shot in recently.

I've spent a lot on guns and glass.

Today I was shopping for a new fishing rod, real and a brand new fishing Kayak today. This fucking isolation is going to put me in the poor house.

Edit - side note, the yak I want is $4000.00 no, not an error. The super cherry ones are fucking expensive.

I've moved on from guns and ammo to building out a damn home gym. Talk about expensive. 

• Haha 1