The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

3 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Looking to buy a small handgun safe (single firearm).  Based on the dimensions and features I need, I'm looking at safes by Vaultek, Liberty, and Stealth.  Anyone have experiences (good or bad) with any of these manufacturers?

I have a Vaultek that I bought on Amazon in the drawer next to my bed holding a P226 and an extra mag. I test the fingerprint scanner and battery every three months and it always seems to works fine. I presume will do the job if I ever need it.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY908Y4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Out of stock but I guess you could find it somewhere else. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, Carl Spackler said:

Looking to buy a small handgun safe (single firearm).  Based on the dimensions and features I need, I'm looking at safes by Vaultek, Liberty, and Stealth.  Anyone have experiences (good or bad) with any of these manufacturers?

Budget?  Location?  Biometric efficacy has strengthened lately.  Many of the initial issues have been ironed out.  

New Del-Ton DTI -15 good to go for $400? Asking for a buddy who does not own an AR yet. I think it's a deal at that price and in this market. Thoughts?

I have one that’s 10-11 years old, been rock solid but I don’t use her much these last 3-4 years. Moved on from 5.56 but she’s still gtg.

Mine didn’t like steel cased ammo, outside of that she had no other malfunctions with brass factory new,reloads or remans. Even then the Tula and brown Bear seemed to be weak loads so she would fail to return to battery.

And she was heavy, heavier than my ar10(a pistol) and my ar300blk. I need to dump the quad rail and stick a magpul hand guard on it.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyChorizo said:

New Del-Ton DTI -15 good to go for $400? Asking for a buddy who does not own an AR yet. I think it's a deal at that price and in this market. Thoughts?

I've spent plenty of $$ on higher end AR's and upgraded other basic models but in reality, if someone is dipping their toe into the water and is just looking to have something that will go bang the basic or budget AR's produced today are fine for the money.   $400 is cheap in today's market.  Why not?

He can play with it and if it happens to go click every once in a while or isn't shooting tight groups who cares?  If he enjoys the platform, he can (and will) upgrade anyway so why not ease into it with the Del-Ton and see if he likes it.  He's not an operator risking his life based on the reliability or accuracy, so if he has to pop the forward assist every once in a while or deals with a jam, who cares.

He can also use it to practice his modifications and AR-smithing if he decides to go that direction in the future and won't have to worry about marring up a nicer rifle until he gets the hang of it.  He can always sell it if he hates it.  For $400 he should do it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Budget?  Location?  Biometric efficacy has strengthened lately.  Many of the initial issues have been ironed out.  

Looking to stay under $300 and keep it in the nightstand drawer next to the bed.  Want something that will open with a simple numerical code or fingerprint or both.  In my research, I was seeing models by Vaultek, Liberty, and Stealth that seemed to fit my criteria, so I was wondering if posters had experience with those manufacturers in particular.

15 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I've spent plenty of $$ on higher end AR's and upgraded other basic models but in reality, if someone is dipping their toe into the water and is just looking to have something that will go bang the basic or budget AR's produced today are fine for the money.   $400 is cheap in today's market.  Why not?

He can play with it and if it happens to go click every once in a while or isn't shooting tight groups who cares?  If he enjoys the platform, he can (and will) upgrade anyway so why not ease into it with the Del-Ton and see if he likes it.  He's not an operator risking his life based on the reliability or accuracy, so if he has to pop the forward assist every once in a while or deals with a jam, who cares.

He can also use it to practice his modifications and AR-smithing if he decides to go that direction in the future and won't have to worry about marring up a nicer rifle until he gets the hang of it.  He can always sell it if he hates it.  For $400 he should do it.

Excellent post, imo.  First AR I bought was a $500 Ruger and it's fantastic weapon.  Pretty accurate too.  

I'm gonna Cadillac this HK and know that I overpaid for it, but still came in way under MSRP.  But, who cares if I can afford it right?

One day, I'll build one from the ground up for 1/3 of the HK price, but that will require my time which will end up costing me more in the end because I will make sure it is done correct.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Great advice.  Your first can be a project in the making and you'll probably keep it and use it for many years.  

Bet that is fun to shoot at night
hqdefault.jpg

Not quite that bad but yeah at dusk she still spit a decent fireball with the birdcage.

Before next deer season I’ll be picking up the e-brake and flashhider cap for the sandman-K. And hopefully by then my Sandman-S will be approved and in the mix.

I want the S on the 300blk for hogs and yotes, the K on the 308 for taking the edge off of the beast.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Not quite that bad but yeah at dusk she still spit a decent fireball with the birdcage.

Before next deer season I’ll be picking up the e-brake and flashhider cap for the sandman-K. And hopefully by then my Sandman-S will be approved and in the mix.

I want the S on the 300blk for hogs and yotes, the K on the 308 for taking the edge off of the beast.

I have a similar 308 rig (12.5” barrel).  Great for animals in Texas.

E1859609-C3C8-4E09-86CB-42A06CACF155.jpeg

Edited by wesleywest
  • Like 4

Think I’m going to start hunting to keep the new chest freezer stocked up. Mule deer will be where I begin. Would like recs on a rifle and optic on a budget that will do the job. 
will entertain recs for higher end stuff that I can find for sale used at a discount price as well. 
might move up to elk in the future (or even moose) so is that one rifle to do it all or multiple calibers for best result?

thankee kindly. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Think I’m going to start hunting to keep the new chest freezer stocked up. Mule deer will be where I begin. Would like recs on a rifle and optic on a budget that will do the job. 
will entertain recs for higher end stuff that I can find for sale used at a discount price as well. 
might move up to elk in the future (or even moose) so is that one rifle to do it all or multiple calibers for best result?

thankee kindly. 

I would just use 300 win mag for everything.  People who say “that’s too much caliber for that animal” are weird and annoying.  If it’s dead, it’s dead.  I’ve killed a shiras moose with the win mag and that was more than fine.  

As far as guns and optics, there’s just too many to list.  Most stuff these days is good and everybody has their favorite.  I’m sure people will chime in with specific models and stuff.  I’ve got a ton of guns, and all I’ve learned is that they’re all pretty similar.  Spending a ton doesn’t really get you much performance, just strokes the ego.

if you haven’t already, start putting in for tags and stuff across the West.

27 minutes ago, wesleywest said:

I would just use 300 win mag for everything.

Came here to say this.  Or .300 Wby if you want something mildly, very mildly, more exotic.   But with your list, it’s very hard to beat a .300 win. As far as optics, I’m a Swaro fan.  Of course leupold, Zeiss, and a dozen other high end brands are great too. 

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:
If(when) I ever get a bolt gun again it’ll be a .300win mag

I’m still a ways from replacing my biggest mistake of selling my .270 bolt gun, but when I do it’ll be that.

I picked up a nice one about a year or so ago I guess. Haven’t even fired it yet (on my to do list). As soon as I can convince @Llano Estacado to book a nilgai trip, it’ll be glassed and ready to go.

f415b1175d4a141c6d967b6eb8033aaf.jpg

54c539c2401e700b5d06821471949780.jpg

Model 70 with a factory Fajen stock. They had a little series for awhile and I was lucky enough to snag this dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

thankee kindly. 

For a new budget gun - Savage 110 Apex Hunter .300 Win Magnum.... $511 plus shipping & tax online at Grabagun.

Includes a factory mounted Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 scope.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How much difference does barrel length make on the accuracy?

Bit of a can of worms there. On the 3 you mentioned, a bit longer and thicker profile will help some, likely, with accuracy.  But you can get very accurate barrels that are short and stiff, say in a featherweight profile, that are much more accurate than what will come on your off the shelf featherweight 70.  But yes, thicker and longer is typically more accurate, and what you will see on bench rest rifles. 

Much difference between the $500 rifles like savage, Remington, and mossberg patriot?  How much difference does barrel length make on the accuracy?

Get the savage. In reality, most rifles will outshoot the average shooter.

Thicker heavier barrels also handle the heat better. Bullets do weird stuff after the barrel gets hot.

27 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Get the savage. In reality, most rifles will outshoot the average shooter.

Thicker heavier barrels also handle the heat better. Bullets do weird stuff after the barrel gets hot.

Yeah, the early Ruger Mini14 pencil barrels tend to “vibrate” when hot, affecting accuracy. The factory had to start making them with heavier barrels later on.

Yep the hotter a barrel gets the more play it can potentially have, so don’t rest your barrel on your support or whatever when shooting, you will affect your accuracy with each shot.

As for those rifles, all of them are making pretty good advances in terms of entry level rifles. Those on here that are reloading themselves and spending thousands on glass, range finder, weather reader etc will find themselves outshooting the rifle but as above, most of these rifles will outshoot a decent amount of shooters.

But if you got the money, go get yourself a accuracy international, Blaser, Steyr or cheytac...

37 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yep the hotter a barrel gets the more play it can potentially have, so don’t rest your barrel on your support or whatever when shooting, you will affect your accuracy with each shot.

As for those rifles, all of them are making pretty good advances in terms of entry level rifles. Those on here that are reloading themselves and spending thousands on glass, range finder, weather reader etc will find themselves outshooting the rifle but as above, most of these rifles will outshoot a decent amount of shooters.

But if you got the money, go get yourself a accuracy international, Blaser, Steyr or cheytac...

If I had the money, I’d walk down the street to the gunwerks building and watch them make one for me. 

For a budget rifle that can keep up with he more expensive ones, Savage for sure. I assume they still have the accutrigger, which will be hard to beat at anywhere near the price range, and the trigger is one of those essential parts that help contribute to accuracy. The bolt won't be as smooth in all likelyhood as a fancier rifle, but the game will be just as dead. Top it with Vortex optics for an affordable scope and it should meet every need.

15 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

In reality, most rifles will outshoot the average shooter.

12 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

most of these rifles will outshoot a decent amount of shooters.

This can't be stressed enough.  Barring the oddball true lemon coming off the factory line, modern rifles (even budget ones) are limited by the average hunter and not the other way around, and that's not a knock on the shooters.

The reality is that for the guy that goes to the range a couple of times per year or only checks his rifle in camp the day before season opens, any of these rifles will put a hole where it needs to be if the shooter can hold the shot there.  Couple a lack of practice time with elevated anxiety when shooting an animal and the weak link is always the indian and never the arrow.

You aren't shooting groups in a hunting situation and any of the above mentioned rifles in those above posts will result in game on the ground if the hunter does his/her part.  

And let's be honest.....in hunting camps everywhere, "My scope must have gotten bumped" is code for "I got excited and jerked the trigger." nine times out of ten.  

I'm certainly in that group right now.....I haven't been shooting much and I know that all of my rifles will out shoot me were I to step on the range right now.

• Like 1

Sort of a strange pickup.  Desert Tech MDR.

300 Blackout with a 16” barrel but cuz it’s a bullpup it’s only 3-4” longer than my 7-8” barreled SBR’s when they have the same silencer on.  

The MDR has a horrible rep and has undergone numerous fixes so hopefully this one works.  

EED7C980-3319-42CB-8CC3-448EC8B979C4.jpeg

• Like 2

Sort of a strange pickup.  Desert Tech MDR.

300 Blackout with a 16” barrel but cuz it’s a bullpup it’s only 3-4” longer than my 7-8” barreled SBR’s when they have the same silencer on.  

The MDR has a horrible rep and has undergone numerous fixes so hopefully this one works.  
EED7C980-3319-42CB-8CC3-448EC8B979C4.thumb.jpeg.94b45bf2f6b8430a825afcf2874b5cb8.jpeg

Buddy picked up a 7.62 one recently.

We were talking the same bits, they had a lot of QC problems early but sound like they have them sorted out now days.

He said the felt recoil in his is more pronounced then the ar10 he formerly had and a lot more than his Scar17.

He’s on a desert tech kick these days. He’s having a SRS covert a2 in 6.5cm built for him by them now.

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Buddy picked up a 7.62 one recently.

We were talking the same bits, they had a lot of QC problems early but sound like they have them sorted out now days.

He said the felt recoil in his is more pronounced then the ar10 he formerly had and a lot more than his Scar17.

He’s on a desert tech kick these days. He’s having a SRS covert a2 in 6.5cm built for him by them now.

Yea their bolt guns are awesome.  I think they bit off more than they can chew with the MDR but we’ll see.  It was billed as a bullpup with none of the issues that make bullpups annoying, yet it has all of those issues.

You’re right about the 7.62 recoil.  Not fun to shoot.

CDNN has the Remington 770 bolt rifle in .300 Winchester Magnum with a cheap 3x9 scope mounted and bore sighted for $249.99 plus tax & shipping.
Supposedly Remington got their QC issues fixed in the past year or two, but I know nothing about this particular gun.