The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

CDNN has the Remington 770 bolt rifle in .300 Winchester Magnum with a cheap 3x9 scope mounted and bore sighted for $249.99 plus tax & shipping.
Supposedly Remington got their QC issues fixed in the past year or two, but I know nothing about this particular gun.

I read up on the 770s last summer when I was deciding on a new hunting rifle.

It’s the “mass produced” version of the 700. It has one length of pull which is like over 12” if I remember correctly. Heavy as can be for a synth stock and basically designed as a casual hunters gun.

Accuracy was there and the trigger was supposed to be crisp at 5lb.

Still I think the savage accu-trigger for entry level guns can’t be beat.

It’s a Remington but I’d still get an entry level 700 that you could later swap parts with all the after market chasis and gear.
  • Like 1

My son has a Remington BDL in .30-06 that he bought new with his lawn mowing money 40 years ago. Beautiful gun that shoots very well with the decent Leopold 3x9 he put on it at the time. He has taken a few deer with it and a bunch of hogs around the family property near Briggs and a friend’s Uvalde ranch.

He’s never had a problem with the infamous 700 trigger.

• Like 1

I know this has been touched on TOS and there are plenty of opinions across the inter webs, but I was just was curious if we could rehash the Surly stance on 5.56 SBR vs. pistol counterparts.

As things have evolved I’m personally leaning pistol, it just seem like too much fuss if your not LE. 

With all the brace options available.... for a recreational shooter the pistol route is much more user friendly IMO.
I’ve done the SBR deal too and while I like it, for the most part it is an unnecessary expense and hassle.....assuming we are speaking to AR platforms.

Now, tell me you’re  doing something like an MP5 clone and I might lean toward SBR for the sake of staying authentic and the overall sex appeal. 

Edited by Reagan1k

Regarding the hot barrel thing:  IMO the only time that is an issue is if you are putting a lot of bullets down range in a competition.  Even in hog hunting they will be moving after the first shot and so you're shooting a moving target which is a bigger factor than the barrel flex.

Most deer are taken with the first shot from a cold barrel.  If it takes more than one shot you are doing it wrong.

Edited by TexasEd

With all the brace options available.... for a recreational shooter the pistol route is much more user friendly IMO.
I’ve done the SBR deal too and while I like it, for the most part it is an unnecessary expense and hassle.....assuming we are speaking to AR platforms.
Now, tell me you’re  doing something like an MP5 clone and I might lean toward SBR for the sake of staying authentic and the overall sex appeal. 

I have 2 pistols as posted above, the 10.5” 300blk and a 12.5” .308. I have a full length 16” 5.56 and it’s be nice to and it but I feel like it’s be a waste of $200 when I keep buying new suppressors now...

But yeah to SBR a HK... oh that would be heavenly. The civilian mp5s look oddly weird with a brace, while an ar with a brace looks normal.
  • Like 1

Got a call from my FFL guy today that both my rifles had arrived. I posted up thread about the 6.5-06, but hadn’t acquired the second rifle at that time. A bit more background. I found the 6.5 and really liked it. It’s an old rifle built by Flaigs. Iirc there was a poster here who had a gun of his. Anyhow, they were a very reputable shop up in PA for decades. Apparently dude had a lot of WW2 memorabilia and it was rumored he was a Nazi sympathizer, but I’ve read he volunteered for the draft at 50+ yo, so who knows. He was also able to stay in business in Pa for decades so doubt any of that is true. Anyhow, he supposedly did great work, the kind of smithing everyone yearns for these days and there is TONS of info and stories about his shop online. Anyhow, it’s a Mauser action with a 27” Douglas barrel. Nice wood, was obviously shot in competition with the palm rear and rail. Supposedly a bright bore, we’ll see.

Anyhow, while I was down the Flaigs rabbit hole, I spotted a nice little Sako .243 that I felt I needed. So I picked it up, too. L579 with deluxe stock that I’ve traced serial back to 1961. Incredibly deep bluing, nice wood, and at some point Flaigs put a barrel on it. So, not nearly as high tech as most that are posted here, but if you follow any of my gun posting, nice wood and deep bluing are my crack.

0407f8c7f53ac85b5ffea157285ac0e7.jpg

5b7ca270837e485bd96282901ea1dd15.jpg

3def691bfe23c64f19f7d54923e3097b.jpg

943f5a58ec1af381d55e0d9b36744144.jpg

I need to find a place that’ll give me a solid discount when I start putting glass on all these my god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

I know this has been touched on TOS and there are plenty of opinions across the inter webs, but I was just was curious if we could rehash the Surly stance on 5.56 SBR vs. pistol counterparts.

As things have evolved I’m personally leaning pistol, it just seem like too much fuss if your not LE. 

Because it's cool, that's why.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 12:17 AM, fattyflattie said:

I picked up a nice one about a year or so ago I guess. Haven’t even fired it yet (on my to do list). As soon as I can convince @Llano Estacado to book a nilgai trip, it’ll be glassed and ready to go.

f415b1175d4a141c6d967b6eb8033aaf.jpg

54c539c2401e700b5d06821471949780.jpg

Model 70 with a factory Fajen stock. They had a little series for awhile and I was lucky enough to snag this dude.

What is the barrel length on that beauty?

On 5/16/2020 at 8:13 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Think I’m going to start hunting to keep the new chest freezer stocked up. Mule deer will be where I begin. Would like recs on a rifle and optic on a budget that will do the job. 
will entertain recs for higher end stuff that I can find for sale used at a discount price as well. 
might move up to elk in the future (or even moose) so is that one rifle to do it all or multiple calibers for best result?

thankee kindly. 

I'm in the market for a bolt action .270 for whitetail so have been reading up a bit on new rifles. Tikka sounds really nice for the $, here's one in .300 Win Mag

https://grabagun.com/tikka-t3x-lite-300-win-mag-24-3-inch-barrel-3-rounds-blued.html

Edited by elguapo
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 8:13 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Think I’m going to start hunting to keep the new chest freezer stocked up. Mule deer will be where I begin. Would like recs on a rifle and optic on a budget that will do the job. 
will entertain recs for higher end stuff that I can find for sale used at a discount price as well. 
might move up to elk in the future (or even moose) so is that one rifle to do it all or multiple calibers for best result?

thankee kindly. 

If all you want is the meat, you could just do what I do and tell someone else to go shoot an extra deer in return for you paying for the processing costs. That way you avoid the waking up early and freezing your balls off part and your buddy (i.e. my little brother) gets to shoot another one without the expense while you get your freezer stocked.

But if you're looking for an excuse to acquire a new gun, well then godspeed sir and good luck. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

T2c44482d832480d3f09ed2802f9567e2.jpg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

I'm in the market for a bolt action .270 for whitetail so have been reading up a bit on new rifles. Tikka sounds really nice for the $, here's one in .300 Win Mag

https://grabagun.com/tikka-t3x-lite-300-win-mag-24-3-inch-barrel-3-rounds-blued.html

I’ve handled a couple of Tikkas.  Pretty nice guns. 

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve handled a couple of Tikkas.  Pretty nice guns. 

@elguapo I concur on the Tikkas.

I'd also submit in that same arena one should also fondle a Howa.   They have several models but the Game King package comes to mind as fitting the bill here.

We've got a couple with the Houge pillar-bedded Overmolded stock & recoil pad and they're nice. 

Reliable action known for consistency in an off-the-shelf rifle.

They used to and probably still build actions for some of the Weatherby lines.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

@elguapo I concur on the Tikkas.

I'd also submit in that same arena one should also fondle a Howa.   They have several models but the Game King package comes to mind as fitting the bill here.

We've got a couple with the Houge pillar-bedded Overmolded stock & recoil pad and they're nice. 

Reliable action known for consistency in an off-the-shelf rifle.

They used to and probably still build actions for some of the Weatherby lines.

Thoughts on package?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/lsi-howa-hogue-gameking-package-bolt-action-300-win-mag-35-10x44-scope-31-rounds?a=1807896

or

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/lsi-howa-hogue-gameking-bolt-action-300-win-mag-24-barrel-35-10x44-scope-31-rounds?a=1807897

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wouldn’t mind paying a little more for the tikka, but the convenience of the savage coming with a scope mounted and supposedly dialed in at 100 yards or so is pushing me that way. 

Most shops will mount and bore-sight in the scope for you.  Make sure you are dialed in @ 50yds.  Then back up to 100yds.  Pretty pedestrian after you get the hang of it.  Cool thing, almost any modern production gun is nails @ 100yds.  So your options are enormous.  The "combo" glass is pretty entry-level.  You might want to build out in stages.  If you want to splurge, spend extra money on optics.

.300 Win Mag the caliber you are dead set on?  Going to do mountain hunting or big game?  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

I just don't see the point of an SBR in 5.56. The 5.56 was designed for combat at intermediate ranges and to be capable of supersonic speed and helmet penetration at 500 yard from a 20" barrel. It's basically a .22 that derives lethality from speed and lacks power at short barrel lengths.
The .300 is 3X heavier and designed for short barrels, suppression, stopping power and damage at close quarters, which is what an SBR is all about. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Agreed on all points and your questions are on my mind too. 

Always curious when such a less mainstream round is the specific choice.

In "hunting" calibers I've no interest outside of 308 and maybe someday adding 270.

It was recommended here when I listed my game as mulies, elk, moose. Figure I’ll take some mulies for a couple seasons and then maybe throw my hat into the larger game lotto if/when I’m comfortable. 
i don’t even know if you can fit a decent size moose into a 16 cf freezer after it’s processed. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That GamePro Gen2 is pretty intriguing....with a threaded barrel that gives you a reason to get a can for it.

Anytime you can create a reason to justify a new suppressor  or especially your first one that’s a slam dunk. 

edit- and there is nothing wrong with N.S. Optics on a rifle like that.  It’ll serve you well for the intended purpose. 

Edited by Reagan1k

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's basically a .22 that derives lethality from speed and lacks power at short barrel lengths.

Spot on.  I’ve seen the effects of a 20 yard shot from a 5.56 SBR vs. the same placement in shots 10x longer out of 5.56 carbine or rifle length barrels on TX sized whitetail and there is no comparison. 

The Vanguard line iirc. I have one of the Vanguards, and while not as silky smooth as my Mark V’s, it’s still a very nice rifle.  And accurate af. 

This is the aforementioned Vanguard. It can outshoot me, well under an inch with so so optics and factory Wby ammo. I’d like to put it in the hands of someone who can shoot one day, with apropos glass and see what she can really do.
ad3195b5c4ec22cac0bc8c097db262d6.jpg

c95f3470d18545d8e74303dd05e5673e.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’ve always wanted a wheel gun. Somebody want to recommend a good value all-purpose revolver?

I have a S&W 686 in 357 Mag which is fun to shoot. Like all 357 guns, also shoots 38 special which is usually more pleasant at the range. Very good heavy solid stainless DA revolver for a decent price. 

Also have a S&W 617 in 22LR. 10 shots. That's what I carry in the glovebox of my Mule at the farm, loaded with snakeshot. I've never done much plinking with it but since it's built on the same frame and (I think) has same trigger as the 686, it would be much cheaper for practice if I wanted to go that way. (ignoring recoil of course)

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

For range shooting, self defense, walking around on a ranch??  What’s your pleasure? 

All of the above. Maybe some quick-draw bullshit also, which it why I previously considered a Ruger Vaquero, but it didn’t seem super useful for range, self-defense, and walking around. 

45 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have a S&W 686 in 357 Mag which is fun to shoot. Like all 357 guns, also shoots 38 special which is usually more pleasant at the range. Very good heavy solid stainless DA revolver for a decent price. 

Also have a S&W 617 in 22LR. 10 shots. That's what I carry in the glovebox of my Mule at the farm, loaded with snakeshot. I've never done much plinking with it but since it's built on the same frame and (I think) has same trigger as the 686, it would be much cheaper for practice if I wanted to go that way. (ignoring recoil of course)

That’s kind of what I was thinking on both counts, but do you feel like you’re giving anything up? 

I asked a rancher friend of mine who deals with a lot of poachers and his suggestion was a Taurus Judge. 

Any revolver by Ruger will give you the “best bang for your buck”. The SP series starts around 5-600. Easily a great gun, in your choice of caliber for the price. Well maintained, it’ll last a lifetime.

SP for regular pistols, but I’ve put thousands of rounds through Ruger’s “Vaquero’s” line, in .357 and .45 LC, during Cowboy shooting/competitions. Vaqueros are SAA (have to cock the hammer to shoot it).

I started reloading around 2002, when I started Cowboy shooting. .45LC for me and the .38’s for my son. I started him off with his first pair of Ruger’s at the age of 12.
I reloaded his rounds for less recoil, but for point of aim with his rifle out to 150 yards. Most “Cowboy targets” for rifle were less than 100 yards.

I miss shooting with him, we gave it up for golf when he was in high school. Still have all the associated stuff, but haven’t done it for about 5 years. Still have the reloaders for both calibers, as well as at least 1K of rounds for both. I never got into loading for the 12 gauge shotguns, but planned to when he was younger.

• Like 1

As mentioned - Ruger’s are built like tanks, but I do own a pair of SAA Colt .45s, in consecutive serial numbers. Purchased my “babies” in 2004!!!!

Lived in Louisiana for 10+ years and the Ruger’s came out during the summer months (8 months out of the year)!!!

The italian Colt SAA clones are pretty good these days as well. Uberti and Pietta both make a good wheel gun. I would go with .357 just for the economics of shooting .38 special out of it. And they should be plenty fine for self defense as long as you practice with them and don't plan on using them for concealed carry. You just have to build the muscle memory for cocking the hammer.

2nd vote for  Ruger In this case.  Lot of gun for the money. 

One idea would be to look at the Blackhawk Convertibles.  You can run both 45LC and 45 auto or .357 and 9mm for instance with a simple cylinder swap.  Even 10mm / 40S&W.  Guns come with both cylinders. 

Give you an option to shoot lower cost pills when you want to run it a lot or a more traditional longer cased handgun round when you want it. 

Several options and you can get them in various configurations including a birds head grip if that floats your boat. 

Best all around .reasonably priced 357 magnum Six shooter double action revolver is the discontinued Ruger Six Series - the Security Six, Service Six, Speed Six, etc....  Good examples run about $350-$500 if you can find them. Mint examples with boxes & papers will run upwards of $600 or more.

Its currently produced successor is the GP 100, which is a bit larger. Great gun too, but avoid the 7 shot version - as it has had some teething issues. The Ruger SP101 is a compact .357 five shot scaled down version (6 shots in .327 Federal Magnum). Both have very heavy DA triggers.

The out of production S&W Models 19, 13, 65, 66 are a more refined (& pricier) choice choice for an excellent double action .357 six shooter.... with a better trigger. Its successor is the Model 586 & 686 (the + versions are 7 shots). The older pre-lock models are more desirable than the recent production ones with the so-called unpopular “Hillary Hole” (/cr). Fine examples with boxes & paperwork will start at $700 & way up from there for the vintage ones.

Can’t go wrong with any of those. Check Gunbroker for asking prices.

Single Actions are fine range, plinking, CAS guns. Fun to shoot and are very cool. The Ruger New Vaqueros and Blackhawks are very desireable, as are the Italian Colt clones - Uberti & Cimarron, Pietta, Taylors Company. A genuine new production Colt SAA is extremely hard to find and if you can get one for the MSRP, consider yourself very lucky. Prices on vintage models of the real Colts are sky high, and the quality control of the 1980s production was very hit or miss.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 3

Typical Ruger Six Series... my fine shooting, problem free Service Six  bought new in 1975:

spacer.png

My 1979 production Colt SAA .357:

spacer.png

My 6 shot 3" Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum: (also shoots .32 S&W Long & .32 H&R Magnum)

spacer.png

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 3