The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

I still have plenty to give them, plus I don’t shoot much any more.... and haven’t been in a deer blind in 30 years.
But it is still fun to buy a good gun at a bargain price whether I need it or not. 
Am starting now with the grandsons, and they like guns. 

This is how you do it gentlemen!  This right here.  

• Like 1

Probably wanted to shoot right handed exactly for that reason, or because most found rifles would be right handed. 

If he’s older than 12, he’s been shooting right handed rifles forever. It’s not that big a deal. I bought a left handed rifle when I was about 20. Still the only left handed bolt I own.

I was going to suggest 308 for the one hunting rifle. 30-06 is just as good. Last ammo shortage the "tactical beard crowd" cleaned out all the 308 rounds from the big box stores. There was a shit load of 30-06 left.

... And I would suggest a 686+ for the one wheel gun.

Brats pic has me looking around for a Ruger single action now.

• Like 2

I put those $28 fake ivory grip panels on it. Didn’t care much for the factory laser-engraved star pattern originals.
Now about $710 plus tax & shipping at GrabaGun to your FFL.. It is the “Fast Draw” Talo special version of the NV model. The standard models have a slightly different contour hammer, and also come in blue and have 5.5” barrels available for about $40 less.
They also come in .45 colt.
Ruger increased their prices last year $50-$100 per gun for most of the revolvers.
I have other revolvers that fire both 357/38 and 45LC. Which model would you suggest for occasional snake blasting and the never ending battle against Modelo cans?

I have other revolvers that fire both 357/38 and 45LC. Which model would you suggest for occasional snake blasting and the never ending battle against Modelo cans?

Whichever shoots the cheapest ammo.

The closest I’ve came to a .458 Socom was buying an eberlestock gunslinger off of ar15 and it came with a round.

12 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Sounds like a good plan.  '06 is never a bad choice.  Pair it with a mid-range caliber like a .243/6mm and you are good to go pretty much forever.....until the itch strikes again....which it will!

Hey man just because I have bought 3 guns in the last 3 months doesn’t mean I have an addiction. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bigshark88 said:
On 5/20/2020 at 10:25 AM, Armybrat said:
I put those $28 fake ivory grip panels on it. Didn’t care much for the factory laser-engraved star pattern originals.
Now about $710 plus tax & shipping at GrabaGun to your FFL.. It is the “Fast Draw” Talo special version of the NV model. The standard models have a slightly different contour hammer, and also come in blue and have 5.5” barrels available for about $40 less.
They also come in .45 colt.
Ruger increased their prices last year $50-$100 per gun for most of the revolvers.

What jkwellborn said.

A good used S&W Model 10 .38 Special would be a nice plinker.

No experience with the .458 SOCOM or the newer HAM’R but I do have a little Ruger American in .450 Bushmaster topped with a 1x6 and it’s a cool little gun.  

Round performs well and is easy to shoot.   Ammo becoming more available.  Loud AF but good on the recoil side.  Handy little truck gun, deer gun in thick east Texas type cover, or hog buster. 

I've dabbled in the big bore AR uppers (50 beowulf, 458 socom, etc)  The 458 is a badass round if you plan on using it for hunting.  I like heavier,  hard hitting rounds like that for hunting pigs on the move or for places where you're not shooting more than 100 yards.  I'm usually using a red dot so your distance with those types of rounds may vary - but they are fun to shoot and they knock the shit out of whatever you hit with them.  They work really well in the south texas thicket. 

Good friend that is on the SWAT team out in AL.  They beta a lot of new toys for manufacturers, magazines, etc.  They got to play with the .458 for a while.  Primarily as a door breaching option in lieu of a hooligan, ram, or shotgun to shoot the locks/hinges off.  I think it was short lived, but he did say in an AR platform, the recoil was about that of a .20g out of a semi.  

On 5/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Another factor to consider would be that if you are planning on hunting elk you will probably be spending a lot of time hiking with your gun. So you will probably want something lighter. And a lighter rifle will have more felt recoil, so the difference in recoil for those calibers will be more pronounced.

I would add that if you go for a lighter rifle like a Tikka t3x lite, you will wan to invest $40 on a Limbsaver stock pad. You can find a good optic like a Vortex for $200. Then you could even invest $40 on a new stock grip if you do not like the 45* angle and $30 for a sling. This would be a great setup for right around 1k new. 

Re: Caliber, you'd be fine with a .6, 300WM or C6.5. They'll all work but I'd lean towards the 300WM or C6.5.

You could also consider a Marlin lever action and be very successful in TX. Just be very honest about your current skill level and how much you can improve/practice. 

19 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I would add that if you go for a lighter rifle like a Tikka t3x lite, you will wan to invest $40 on a Limbsaver stock pad. You can find a good optic like a Vortex for $200. Then you could even invest $40 on a new stock grip if you do not like the 45* angle and $30 for a sling. This would be a great setup for right around 1k new. 

Re: Caliber, you'd be fine with a .6, 300WM or C6.5. They'll all work but I'd lean towards the 300WM or C6.5.

You could also consider a Marlin lever action and be very successful in TX. Just be very honest about your current skill level and how much you can improve/practice. 

The vortex is already ordered

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:
5 hours ago, Armybrat said:
What jkwellborn said.
A good used S&W Model 10 .38 Special would be a nice plinker.

Just ordered. Got a link to those grips?

Which grips, the fake ivory on my New Vaquero?

Those are from Altamont.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:15 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Sorry to burst bubbles, but friend is selling me his savage 30-06 with a case and some ammo for $400. I shall take my savings and invest in an optic. 

Good choice.  The -06 can kill any game animal in North America.  I've lived in Alaska for 12 years and have killed 9 moose with a .270 Win.  It's more about bullet selection and placement than foot pounds of energy at point of contact.  For large game like moose or elk, choose a bullet that remains intact.  No ballistic tip bullshit.  You need it to penetrate to the vitals.  Beyond that, moose are easy to kill.  They are nothing but giant deer.  All my moose were taken with heart/lung shots at 300 yards or less.  The heart/lung area on a moose is about the size of a large pizza.  Anyone who can't hit a target the size of a pizza at 300 yards shouldn't be shooting at live animals in the first place.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

Good choice.  The -06 can kill any game animal in North America.  I've lived in Alaska for 12 years and have killed 9 moose with a .270 Win.  It's more about bullet selection and placement than foot pounds of energy at point of contact.  For large game like moose or elk, choose a bullet that remains intact.  No ballistic tip bullshit.  You need it to penetrate to the vitals.  Beyond that, moose are easy to kill.  They are nothing but giant deer.  All my moose were taken with heart/lung shots at 300 yards or less.  The heart/lung area on a moose is about the size of a large pizza.  Anyone who can't hit a target the size of a pizza at 300 yards shouldn't be shooting at live animals in the first place.

any pics or videos ?

On 5/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, but you have to practice with the gun you intend to hunt with. I guess you could weigh it down on a lead sled, but you still should practice shooting from positions like you would in the field.

On 5/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Sorry to burst bubbles, but friend is selling me his savage 30-06 with a case and some ammo for $400. I shall take my savings and invest in an optic. 

I think you'll be happy with .30-06

I second the practice with what you intend to shoot in the positions you're going to shoot from in the field.  If you're hunting from a box blind practice from sitting, but if you are stalking figure that out now.  Do you need a bi-pod, shooting stick, prone blanket? Are you going to sit, stand, etc. 

It galls me to hear of or see a wounded animal that should have gone down except the "hunter" couldn't bother to practice. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

I see you've already got some snippy comments about this purchase.

It's clear those people have never had to deal with pesky invasive elephants. Let them come face to face with one of those or pissed off hippo next time they're out and about or let a rhino fuck up their tool shed, then let's ask them what they think about your perfectly reasonable 458 win mag rifle.

Or a piggy.  Jesus, let me have this gun and stumble across a sounder under a feeder with good cover and short range!

tenor.gif?itemid=7327426

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Haha 1

Was peeping one of those from Daniel Defense. Perhaps after my PCC and before my .300 can. 

I got the titanium version. Was expensive but the thing is LIGHT. I’m going to love having this if I can get it before the entire country falls apart. 

Maybe if you lined up 3 or 4 in a row.

I looked that ammo up at buffalobore. Heh, the Barnes tip runs $6 per shot. 

Won't be plinking much with that, not that your shoulder would have it anyway.

LOL, it's worse than .50BMG ammo!

3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I looked at that DD ISR in 300 but opted to get a 300 and can instead. I did that because I wanted the option to put that can on other rifles like my 6.8.

It’s a sweet looking gun though.

I thought a lot about this set up. 

On 5/29/2020 at 7:46 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

I've always wanted to shoot a pig with my 45-70 Govt.

Never had the opportunity yet because I always seem to chose choose my AR-10 308. 

Shot a doe with one.  Meh.  Passed through both shoulders.  Seen worse with much smaller calibers.  Betting a larger pig stops the round and it dumps all that kinetic energy inside the big turd and makes for a more impressive port mortem.  

• Like 1

Picked up a pair of Sig P365s last week for my twin sons.  They turn 21 later this year and are taking the LTC course this weekend before going back to their apartment in West Campus.  Found 1 in Austin Academy and 1 in San Antonio Academy, 2-tone gray slide models with manual safety.  Between UT tuition, room and board, insurance, student tickets, and now firearms and LTC classes for these guys, I'm never going to be able to retire.

Edited by Zone Read
typo

18 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Picked up a pair of Sig P365s last week for my twin sons.  They turn 21 later this year and are taking the LTC course this weekend before going back to their apartment in West Campus.  Found 1 in Austin Academy and 1 in San Antonio Academy, 2-tone gray slide models with manual safety.  Between UT tuition, room and board, insurance, student tickets, and now firearms and LTC classes for these guys, I'm never going to be able to retire.

Awesome. I love mine. Been my EDC for 18 months now