The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I couldn’t imagine either. I guess if there is no one behind him you pull and pull until your gun clicks. I’d probably move down range. One thing I think I now know is that you want to be at either end of the range and probably not smashed between people. Just one less moron on your right or left. 

I’m going to start using the outdoor range outside of town. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'm moving for work this Summer and might hafta move to a rented apartment. If so, I gotta store my guns off-site. I have safes for everything. Uhaul (and others) has climate-controlled storage. So it'd be guns in a locked safe, in a locked heated/cooled storage unit. Is that safe? Would you do it? Do the storage places allow guns and ammo?

This only applies to Texas: I've rented and the only apartment policies regarding guns were no openly carrying regardless if you have a LTC. They sited 30.07. When I moved my rifles in they were concealed in boxes and never had any problems. If I remember, there was a law passed allowing tenants access to firearms and prohibiting landlords from banning them.

Edited by Chilly Water
  • Like 1

Going to a range entails a certain amount of trust, i.e., that everyone else there is cool, isn't frayed to the edge of completely unraveling, and isn't in a suicidal frame of mind.  I'll admit -- every time I've gone to a range, the following thought has crossed my mind at least once at some point:  What if someone gets so ragey that he starts shooting up the place?  

26 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Going to a range entails a certain amount of trust, i.e., that everyone else there is cool, isn't frayed to the edge of completely unraveling, and isn't in a suicidal frame of mind.  I'll admit -- every time I've gone to a range, the following thought has crossed my mind at least once at some point:  What if someone gets so ragey that he starts shooting up the place?  

I've just started teaching my oldest to shoot.  I haven't taken her to a range almost completely due to that - just a feeling I can't get around quite yet.   And forget the nefarious aspect, just a random accident...  We have some really good ones around, too.  But somehow there are still several hundred holes in the roof of the houses, which amazes me every time I'm there.  Sucks because my folks land is 1.5 hours away.   She's kicking ass though.  Started her on a target 10/22 I was given years ago with beavertail thumbhole stock, bull barrel, and a semi-cheap 3x9.   She's only been shooting 35 yds or so, but has 10 down to a quarter or so all day, which is amazing considering the trigger pull (vs her ability).   A new trigger set was a few hundred bucks, but might pick one up since shes really really enjoying it. 

My 17 year old nephew and his dad want to build an AR together and asked me for resources on where to start. This will be a plinking ranch rifle. I suggested they start at the Palmetto website to look at all the options and price ranges. How would you guys suggest they proceed. Neither know much about firearms except for basic range safety that they got in Boy Scouts. Money not really an object but I would guess $600 would be about the sweet spot.

My 17 year old nephew and his dad want to build an AR together and asked me for resources on where to start. This will be a plinking ranch rifle. I suggested they start at the Palmetto website to look at all the options and price ranges. How would you guys suggest they proceed. Neither know much about firearms except for basic range safety that they got in Boy Scouts. Money not really an object but I would guess $600 would be about the sweet spot.

PSA is a good place to start.

My 8yo and I built our (his when he’s old enough) 300blk pistol from them, well put together the lower but bought the complete upper.

The only kinda bleh news is I hear some of the newer builds coming from PSA(and others) are a little tougher around the edges due to this pandemic and panic buying rushing to get stuff out the door.

He had a blast building it and even more fun despite the 95degree day shooting it. At 25yards he was pretty accurate for a while. By the end he was having some recoil anticipation and started spreading his groupings out a bit.

But he’s ready to take a hog when we go back to land to see how my hog pipe did...

2bed64286e934451018e14d3a11c4965.jpg

61870b5bcad59ddbe4453cd3fcc3bfbb.jpg

91e79d30dcca170c567104d67c94254f.jpg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I've just started teaching my oldest to shoot.  I haven't taken her to a range almost completely due to that - just a feeling I can't get around quite yet.   And forget the nefarious aspect, just a random accident...  We have some really good ones around, too.  But somehow there are still several hundred holes in the roof of the houses, which amazes me every time I'm there.  Sucks because my folks land is 1.5 hours away.   She's kicking ass though.  Started her on a target 10/22 I was given years ago with beavertail thumbhole stock, bull barrel, and a semi-cheap 3x9.   She's only been shooting 35 yds or so, but has 10 down to a quarter or so all day, which is amazing considering the trigger pull (vs her ability).   A new trigger set was a few hundred bucks, but might pick one up since shes really really enjoying it. 

Ruger has offered a nice 10/22 trigger set upgrade priced about $70-$80 for several yesrs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

In theory, that's one part of what the range officer is for: keeping an eye on everyone and sniffing out trouble. Unfortunately, it just not something that can be controlled. If someone wants to misuse his firearm, he's going to do it, at least for a few seconds. 

I shoot my pistols at Texas Gun Club in Stafford. The clientele seems to be a little bit above average, but I also try not to go when it's too busy (weekends, evenings) precisely to avoid the crowds and the idiots. I also have a membership so that allows me to shoot on the member lanes which also have fewer meatheads and idiots. 

It's also why I like GHSC compared to the public ranges. Nothing but a bunch of rich guys shooting shotguns. No handguns, no rifles, and very expensive, relatively speaking, so also fewer meatheads and idiots. 

I rent. I’m Reasonably sure there are firearms policies at my apartment. I haven’t checked. I will not sacrifice my firearms to anyone but Davey Jones. I have never been bugged any place I have lived and all places have me on camera carrying gun cases in and out. If you are worried about it you might consider renting a house instead of an apartment. 
I have 3 safes worth of guns. Not sure in wanna haul all that stuff upstairs.

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Ruger has offered a nice 10/22 trigger set upgrade priced about $70-$80 for several yesrs.

Is that the poly one?  I’ll look further into it, that was just a crash course I took when I noticed it was tough for her to pull.   I looked at polishing it up, but by the time you pay the smith it would be cheaper to drop in a Volquartsen set.  And it’s not something I’d feel comfortable doing.  This gun already has a stack of money into it, and is worth a trigger job, I just have some other gun stuff I want before I dive into this trigger. 

In the meantime I dusted off an old Stevens .22 that my dad crafted a French walnut stock for 40 years ago. It has much less palm swell and a noticeably lighter trigger on it.  Need to find some rings for it and that’ll be “hers” until she’s big enough to get back after the Ruger. 

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There's a trick you can do to eliminate the take up in the 10/22 with just some JB weld and I think polish like you use on a car. I did it years ago and it was pretty easy to do. Here's a link.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Parliament said:
20 hours ago, Jhawk said:
I rent. I’m Reasonably sure there are firearms policies at my apartment. I haven’t checked. I will not sacrifice my firearms to anyone but Davey Jones. I have never been bugged any place I have lived and all places have me on camera carrying gun cases in and out. If you are worried about it you might consider renting a house instead of an apartment. 

I have 3 safes worth of guns. Not sure in wanna haul all that stuff upstairs.

I'd think about what friends you have that own a business and have some space inside.  Unused room, storage area, etc. and pay them what the storage unit would cost to let you store the safes there. No way I'd put my own safes in a storage unit.....and I have some storage units in a place that is well maintained and secure.  I'll trust them with a lot of stuff but not 3 safes full of firearms.

7 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Any thoughts on the 6mm ARC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I posted some of the release announcements up thread somewhere.  It is interesting....for no other reason than with Hornady behind it it will likely become more mainstream.  I love the 6mm round for medium sized game if for no other reason that I've shot countless numbers with a .243.  

I've always wanted a .243 chambered AR, but they require an AR10 receiver to shoot standard rounds, where this one offers a .243 in an AR15 platform which means lighter weight,  more compatibility among mfgs of uppers and lowers, etc.  As someone else said on a board I follow.....its what the 6.5 Grendel should have been.  And I love my 6.5Gren so why not.

I'm sure I'll end up with an upper at least as a start, but I'm a whore so that's a pretty low bar as for an endorsement.  

What is the point of having firearms if you have little to no access to them in a time of need? Not to get political, but if you are moving to an urban core of a city then now is not the time to find off-site storage for your firearms. They won’t be safe and you might not be safe. I think the solution here is to rethink your living situation. 

Thanks for the response.

I’ve been thinking of getting an AR that can shoot 70-100 grain pills. Not interested in 5.56.

I think I’ll grab one of these to pair with my 300BO and 6.5C. The only other chambering that would interest me is probably 308, which would give me 165+ capability for some larger game (although my 6.5C would fill that role just fine really).

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Thanks for the response.

I’ve been thinking of getting an AR that can shoot 70-100 grain pills. Not interested in 5.56.

I think I’ll grab one of these to pair with my 300BO and 6.5C. The only other chambering that would interest me is probably 308, which would give me 165+ capability for some larger game (although my 6.5C would fill that role just fine really).

This 223 Rem 75 gr BTHP Match round is a bad mofo in a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:7 twist

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/223-rem-75-gr-bthp-match#!/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Is that the poly one?  I’ll look further into it, that was just a crash course I took when I noticed it was tough for her to pull.   I looked at polishing it up, but by the time you pay the smith it would be cheaper to drop in a Volquartsen set.  And it’s not something I’d feel comfortable doing.  This gun already has a stack of money into it, and is worth a trigger job, I just have some other gun stuff I want before I dive into this trigger. 

In the meantime I dusted off an old Stevens .22 that my dad crafted a French walnut stock for 40 years ago. It has much less palm swell and a noticeably lighter trigger on it.  Need to find some rings for it and that’ll be “hers” until she’s big enough to get back after the Ruger. 

Yes, poly housing for the BMX drop in trigger. See Shopruger.com under rifle parts & accessories. Retail is $90, but have seen them on sale at various places for $60-$70.

• Like 1

It’s been 10 plus years since I’ve pulled the trigger group out of my 10/22 but I want to say that a VQ hammer, a shit load of polishing, and the jb weld trick had me under 2 pounds of pull and a very crisp break. That plus a sling and peep sights and you got a badass Appleseed gun.

Edit: I have fired expert marksmen on Appleseed while practicing but not the one time I actually was at the course

23 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Thanks for the response.

.243 then?

AR10 seems to fit the bill. 

That's why I'm fairly interested in the 6mm ARC even though I like the 6.5 Grendel (AR15) and have a 6.5 Creedmoor (AR10).

The 6mm / .243 projectile is really the sweet spot for convergence of ballistics and terminal performance.  

Being able to use the AR15 platform for a ".243" rather than the heavier AR10 which was previously available for most 6mm/.243 chamberings (Rock River Arms makes or made a pretty sweet .243 AR10 hunter for a while) is compelling.  

I love my AR10's but they are a load to haul around if not shooting at the range.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

That's why I'm fairly interested in the 6mm ARC even though I like the 6.5 Grendel (AR15) and have a 6.5 Creedmoor (AR10).

The 6mm / .243 projectile is really the sweet spot for convergence of ballistics and terminal performance.  

Being able to use the AR15 platform for a ".243" rather than the heavier AR10 which was previously available for most 6mm/.243 chamberings (Rock River Arms makes or made a pretty sweet .243 AR10 hunter for a while) is compelling.  

I love my AR10's but they are a load to haul around if not shooting at the range.

AR 10 in a 6mm platform would be HELL on pigs and/or critters from a stable, fixed position.  Minimal recoil.  Large mag capacity.  Hits hard and is moving fast.  

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

AR 10 in a 6mm platform would be HELL on pigs and/or critters from a stable, fixed position.  Minimal recoil.  Large mag capacity.  Hits hard and is moving fast.  

The 6mm Creedmoor is your huckleberry!

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/ar-10-tactical-hunter/

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=22973

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reagan1k said:

Honestly, pinned down and forced to answer the BEST all around caliber for anything in Texas, I'd go with the 6mm platform.  Deer.  Pigs.  Varmints/Critters.  Flat.  Fast.  Minimal recoil.  Fun for smaller-framed shooters.   

• Like 1

I don't disagree.  And the more I think about it or we banter on Surly, the more I think the 6mm ARC is going to be successful.

The sheer number of ar15 platforms (compared to ar10's)  in the hands of hunters / shooters means that this one will grab some traction due to the love  and respect of the .243 caliber.  So many more people have ar15 lowers on which they can slap an upper to fire a pill they're already partial to that it will overtake the 6.5 Grendel in short order IMO.

Then let someone make a 16" - 18" micro action bolt carbine in 6mm ARC and slap a 1x6 or 1x8 and you've got a hellua duo for someone that wants a hunting AR and bolt gun in the same caliber.

Guess I need to make some room.  I think I've talked myself into another caliber.

• Like 1

What is the point of having firearms if you have little to no access to them in a time of need? Not to get political, but if you are moving to an urban core of a city then now is not the time to find off-site storage for your firearms. They won’t be safe and you might not be safe. I think the solution here is to rethink your living situation. 
I'd have a few at my place and remember I live in North Dakota. Don't wanna go CR, but if someone steals your gun, it's only for deer hunting, and they'll bring it back after season. Might even give you some sausage for your troubles.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I don't disagree.  And the more I think about it or we banter on Surly, the more I think the 6mm ARC is going to be successful.

The sheer number of ar15 platforms (compared to ar10's)  in the hands of hunters / shooters means that this one will grab some traction due to the love  and respect of the .243 caliber.  So many more people have ar15 lowers on which they can slap an upper to fire a pill they're already partial to that it will overtake the 6.5 Grendel in short order IMO.

Then let someone make a 16" - 18" micro action bolt carbine in 6mm ARC and slap a 1x6 or 1x8 and you've got a hellua duo for someone that wants a hunting AR and bolt gun in the same caliber.

Guess I need to make some room.  I think I've talked myself into another caliber.

Yeah, this round looks interesting, but I already have a .243 AR10 variant, so i don't see myself building out an upper for it. I can see how it could become popular, though. I remember when the .300 BLK came out folks said it wouldn't take off, but I built one and got the reloading dies for it because I liked the concept. Turns out I wasn't alone. So I definitely can see the appeal. 

10 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

The only people that I know consistently trashing the 300blk when it came out were 6.8 fanbois.

It's weird.  People either love it or hate it.  Not a lot of lukewarm responses, although I"m sure they are out there.  A good friend has a .300 BO, SBR, with a can.  Jesus, it's fun to shoot.  His son sons hunts with it in the blind with him so he can talk him through the shot and no ear protection is needed.  

I do think the 5.56 is more versatile with the proper twist rate, but there are so many options out there.  

I found a .277 Wolverine barrel in my parts box when I was re-orging the garage.  Got it in trade thrown in with a bunch of AR parts and never even bothered to do anything with it.  Its basically a 270 bullet shoved into a 556 case (similar to 300blk) and the only unique part on a standard ar is the barrel.  I'm building up a short 277 wolv pistol to hunt with because why the fuck not.

Also - I traded a Loomis/Shimano combo for a Keltec CMR30 the other day and I'm pretty pleased with it thus far.  Way better than the first gen PMR30 I had with regard to reliability and accuracy.  As long as you keep the mag loaded to only 25 rnd, and shoot 40gr CCI maxi mags or 50 gr GameShoks its deadly accurate and runs like a sewing machine.  Perfect truck gun for shooting shit at the ranch.

Edited by krevo

2 hours ago, krevo said:

I found a .277 Wolverine barrel in my parts box when I was re-orging the garage.  Got it in trade thrown in with a bunch of AR parts and never even bothered to do anything with it.  Its basically a 270 bullet shoved into a 556 case (similar to 300blk) and the only unique part on a standard ar is the barrel.  I'm building up a short 277 wolv pistol to hunt with because why the fuck not.

So is that basically a 6.8 variant but using standard mags and BCGs?  I have to say I don't recall ever seeing that which is a blessing for my pocketbook.  Thats' the only thing that has kept me from the 6.8 previously.

Help please. 

so I got that savage 110, and I got a vortex crossfire II scope. But when I go to mount the scope to the rifle, the rings from the current setup don’t match up with where the new scope is a 1” tube, most drastically on the back mount where it’s fatter for a longer distance I presume due to the illumination portion. I can’t adjust the ring positioning because the current setup is picatinny with only one groove. 

do I change rails to longer ones that allow for positioning or do I buy offset rings?

Whose wives carry?

My FiL and I are being my MiL and my wife (and also her sister) pocket/micro/sub compact handguns and deciding between .380 and 9mm.

I’m leaning towards the p365 and p365sas and my FiL is thinking lcp/lcp2 with laser or bodyguard w/laser.

All conversation welcome regarding the options.

34 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Whose wives carry?

My FiL and I are being my MiL and my wife (and also her sister) pocket/micro/sub compact handguns and deciding between .380 and 9mm.

I’m leaning towards the p365 and p365sas and my FiL is thinking lcp/lcp2 with laser or bodyguard w/laser.

That ultimately needs to be their decision. Your personal defense sidearm needs to be something you're most comfortable using. Nothing wrong with having it narrowed down for them but those are all 3 very different feeling guns.

Three women in my extended family have LTCs

None are in my immediate family. However my granddaughter (age 27, no pics) and DIL (likewise) intend to get their licenses. 
Mrs. Brat hates guns, has never fired one in her life and never will even though she has lived in Texas since 1949. She was born in California, so that may be why.

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Whose wives carry?

All good choices. Just try them out at a range if possible.

Yeah the idea is we’re buying a few different models, if they like them they become their carry.

If they don’t well then I guess I’d just be forced to take it under my wing and treat it as my own. I mean if I have to.

Just kinda wanted to hear if .380 felt that much different to the ladies over a 9mm or if it felt the same-ish. My wife does not like my 1911 .45acp and my carry P2000 she likes ok but says the gun is too big. Told her I get that a lot from the ladies. Cough cough

True, but there can be a big difference between .380 & 9mm pistol sizes & weights, plus how they intend to carry them.

.380 mouse guns like the LCP, Keltec, Kahr, etc. are great for pocket carry. Small 9mm pistols are more suited to belt carry. But there is such a myriad of combinations & holsters that it would take up too much room here to cover.

Of course the 9mm is much superior to the .380 as far as ballistics and since the pistol is larger, recoil may actually be a little milder than the tiny LCP which is known to be snappy.

Purse carry is not recommended.

Don’t forget the Remington RM380. It is somewhat larger all metal pocket gun that was first made by Rohrbaugh. Same price range as the LCP & LCPII. Very well made & reliable according to all the reviews by owners. 

My wife carries a Sig P238. I agree with the above that it definitely needs to be something they pick out. If they don’t feel comfortable with it they won’t carry it. 
Lots of ranges rent pistols where they can see what the like and dislike. I’m not so sure my wife wouldn’t rather carry a revolver, that’s what’s in her nightstand.

I carry a Sig P938 and there is a very small difference in size of those pistols.

On 6/9/2020 at 2:33 PM, Reagan1k said:

I have an AR that is chambered in 300 WM, it is going on elk trip this Nov.

• Like 1

Whose wives carry?

Mom lives in the country and has her LTC. Dad bought her a S&W 9mm Shield to practice (she was already comfortable enough to pass with Semi or revolver, imo), qualify, then carry. She carried the Shield a handful of times, tried a few different Sig and Glock semis from the safe, before ultimately switching back to a SW jframe snubby .38 that’s been her purse or traveling alone vehicle gun since the 80s.

My wife isn’t licensed and shows little interest in doing so, but is well practiced on a S&W J-frames. We keep one bedside in a biometric (currently the 442 I gave her as a wedding present). While she has no interest in actual concealed carry while running errands or whatever, she has requested and taken revolvers on trips when she’s overnighting. She’s also requested confirmation on the location of buckshot ammo and 20ga or “her pistol” when I’m out of town. (I don’t travel as much anymore, but guns frequently cycle from our home to parent’s property safe where we most frequently hunt and shoot).

Older sister would never think of have a gun in the home, and never ever on her person. Think she’s pulled the trigger of .22s and shotguns less than 10 times.

Younger sister (married the guy who became my hunting partner) is comfortable around guns, but is in the leave a loaded shotgun in the safe when you’re out of town group. BIL is not LTC.

That being said, IMO whatever is comfortable is what they’re going to stay with. I think my dad pressing my mom to try different semis with different carry techniques, holsters, safeties, laser grip locations just reinforced in her mind that old reliable Jframe goes boom where she points when she pulls the trigger. Also the fact that she’s had a “travel gun” for years and never had to think about pulling it reinforces her opinion she’ll never need more than 5 shots ( a slight point of contention between my parents when she got her license)

• Like 1

Mom is right.

My primary nightstand gun has been this SP101 .357 loaded with 125 grain Speer Gold Dots. Only five shots, but if those don’t work it is backed up with this SR9 loaded with 17+1 of Federal 124 grain +p HST. There is also a Winchester Defender 12 ga. pump 18.5” barrel with 8 rounds of 00 buck within arm’s reach.

C4E21108-DE88-4876-ACD0-53DB0255A954.jpeg

2818284C-871A-43CF-9067-1D040801F243.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1