The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

The 10mm certainly would be a much better choice for black bear than 9mm.

But for grizzly.... .44 Magnum at the minimum.

(not from experience, just from reading)

Yeah I don’t really want a big revolver though.  Seems you can build a 10mm that has the punching power to be useful vs a grizzly. 

9 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Here's my .44 mag snubby in a holster I just finished making this week for our upcoming camping/road trip. You don't have to have a real big revolver for .44 mag, and with this holster it even conceals decently.

spacer.png

You carry it single or double?  I’ve never even thought about carrying a wheel gun. And what’s the price point on something like that?

Barrel length isn’t really an issue when the target is 50 feet or less , the size of a small car, and closing at 30 mph. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah I don’t really want a big revolver though.  Seems you can build a 10mm that has the punching power to be useful vs a grizzly. 

The Ruger GP100 revolver is a medium size 6 shot that comes in 10mm Auto, weighing in at 36 ounces.- a lot smaller than the big .44 Magnums. And is just 8.5” long.

D2452382-D731-4929-A0DE-40FE58A4C096.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 2:23 PM, Zone Read said:

Nice setup.  I've got one of these and got one for each of my kids.  What holster is that?  I can make out the word "Romeo" on the optic, so I know it's a Sig, what model exactly?

Its  an Amazon special but it's designed for the pistol with the optic on it.  The optic was designed for the gun by Sig - Romeo Zero (meant for pistols less than 1" in width.)

Holster link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fierce+defender+p365xl&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Edited by krevo

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You carry it single or double?  I’ve never even thought about carrying a wheel gun. And what’s the price point on something like that?

Barrel length isn’t really an issue when the target is 50 feet or less , the size of a small car, and closing at 30 mph. 

It's a double action, but can be shot single action as well. It's a lot easier to make an accurate shot in single action, but that obviously takes more time and all. It is a Rossi that was cheap enough that I made an impulse buy at Academy several years ago, but I can't remember the exact price. I know Rossi doesn't have the best reputation, but it locks up tight and shoots well. It may not be as durable as a Ruger or S&W, but it doesn't get shot that much anyways since it is mainly for hiking in bear country.

@krevo, dammit you got me.  So I went to three different places in the Metroplex searching for the XL.  No luck.  But I did come home with a two-tone P365.  S&W Shield will either become a truck gun or just a safe queen backup.

Got it at Scheels in The Colony.  It's so small I was messing with my wife.  Sales guy knew my angle and played along to his credit.  Had on jeans from church and took my over-sized cell phone out, turned around, put the gun in pocket and the cell in the other, turned back around and asked her to tell me which pocket had the gun and which the phone.  They print the same.  I"m still trying to wrap my head around 10 rounds.  Read online the mag was designed first, and three patents later, they then built the gun around it.  

Now I need holster reqs if anyone has any suggestions?

*internet pic below, but mine is identical*

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9HyCg80tR3Xvv18xywfJ

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

After having camped and hiked with my 9mm at my side this weekend as bear protection, I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to buy a Glock 40 10mm. 
ive also seen where people put harder barrels in them and fire hot loads. Not sure how necessary that might be. Also not sure that the double stacked mag is necessary. Bear won’t be giving me a chance to shoot 15(16). 

Nothing better than a real excuse to buy a new gun.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If you reload, yes.  Most modern production ammo for the 10mm (as I have heard second-hand) is a little watered down.  Ballistics on the 10mm and similar to the .41Mag.  In a semi-auto, it's the tits, but in a revolver, might want to just get a smaller-framed .44Mag that is turn-key and ready to go.  Practice with the .44spcl., etc.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

@krevo, dammit you got me.  So I went to three different places in the Metroplex searching for the XL.  No luck.  But I did come home with a two-tone P365.  S&W Shield will either become a truck gun or just a safe queen backup.

Got it at Scheels in The Colony.  It's so small I was messing with my wife.  Sales guy knew my angle and played along to his credit.  Had on jeans from church and took my over-sized cell phone out, turned around, put the gun in pocket and the cell in the other, turned back around and asked her to tell me which pocket had the gun and which the phone.  They print the same.  I"m still trying to wrap my head around 10 rounds.  Read online the mag was designed first, and three patents later, they then built the gun around it.  

The 365 line of guns is amazing.  Whats the born on date on yours?  (should be on the box)  The first gen had some firing pin issues and possibly trigger/safety issues but I believe the recent models are all good.  My XL was built around March of 2020.  They are damn near impossible to find but you can get one if you dont mind ordering online and waiting. 

Holster recommedations...I bought a cheapy on Amazon because it had a good clip and was molded kydex instead of injection molded plastic.  There are probably 20 different options available for the 365 on Amazon with prime shipping.  For the XL - I carry mine appendix but the 365 I would honestly carry in the pocket.  They make some nice pocket holsters for the 365 as well.

• Like 1

I guess the $499.95 prices for the 365 are long gone even if you can find one now. One of those is on my wish list.

Pato, that stainless Ruger GP100 in 10mm is kinda pricey... $1,212 at Grabagun (out of stock), but the 5” blued version (also out of stock) is only $734.

A7C67170-0E32-49D2-B8C9-389F947FB343.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

If you reload, yes.  Most modern production ammo for the 10mm (as I have heard second-hand) is a little watered down.  Ballistics on the 10mm and similar to the .41Mag.  In a semi-auto, it's the tits, but in a revolver, might want to just get a smaller-framed .44Mag that is turn-key and ready to go.  Practice with the .44spcl., etc.  

Are you thinking of the S&W MODEL 69 L-Frame 5 shot .44 Magnum?

17 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I guess the $499.95 prices for the 365 are long gone even if you can find one now. One of those is on my wish list.

Pato, that stainless Ruger GP100 in 10mm is kinda pricey... $1,212 at Grabagun (out of stock), but the 5” blued version (also out of stock) is only $734.

A7C67170-0E32-49D2-B8C9-389F947FB343.jpeg

You buy enough from GaG and nothing is out of stock.  ;) I was able to get that HK 556 when it was "out of stock".

1 hour ago, krevo said:

The 365 line of guns is amazing.  Whats the born on date on yours?  (should be on the box)  The first gen had some firing pin issues and possibly trigger/safety issues but I believe the recent models are all good.  My XL was built around March of 2020.  They are damn near impossible to find but you can get one if you dont mind ordering online and waiting. 

Holster recommedations...I bought a cheapy on Amazon because it had a good clip and was molded kydex instead of injection molded plastic.  There are probably 20 different options available for the 365 on Amazon with prime shipping.  For the XL - I carry mine appendix but the 365 I would honestly carry in the pocket.  They make some nice pocket holsters for the 365 as well.

23-NOV, 2019

So what specifically do I need to watch out for?  It's going to the range this weekend and every weekend after.  I disassembled it last night.  Minor oiling.  Nothing too crazy.  Then sat down with both kids.  Let them handle.  Dry fire.  Get acquainted with, etc.  Daughter (12yr) holds pistols higher on the slide, so the 2-tone helps visually to keep her hands lower and off the slide.  

I think I want to go with kydex to start, especially in the hotter months with less clothing.  Then pocket/jacket carry when cooler.  Thanks for the feedback.  I want to be comfortable with each option.  

Cell phone - check

Keys - check

Concealed carry - check

Ironically, none of my friends have been told.  I don't want anyone to know and keep it that way.  Just you old farts! 

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I have a Desantis Nemesis for pocket carry. Can carry in jeans, cargo shorts, whatever. And like you found out, it prints the same as a phone. 

https://www.amazon.com/Gunhide-Nemesis-Pocket-Holster-Ambidextrous/dp/B07PMTTH71

Vedder LighTuck for IWB carry. 

https://www.vedderholsters.com/lighttuck/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

I have a Desantis Nemesis for pocket carry. Can carry in jeans, cargo shorts, whatever. And like you found out, it prints the same as a phone. 

https://www.amazon.com/Gunhide-Nemesis-Pocket-Holster-Ambidextrous/dp/B07PMTTH71

Vedder LighTuck for IWB carry. 

https://www.vedderholsters.com/lighttuck/

OK, those are 2 outstanding options.  That Vedder was exactly what I had in mind.  Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

23-NOV, 2019

So what specifically do I need to watch out for?  It's going to the range this weekend and every weekend after.  I disassembled it last night.  Minor oiling.  Nothing too crazy.  Then sat down with both kids.  Let them handle.  Dry fire.  Get acquainted with, etc.  Daughter (12yr) holds pistols higher on the slide, so the 2-tone helps visually to keep her hands lower and off the slide.  

I think I want to go with kydex to start, especially in the hotter months with less clothing.  Then pocket/jacket carry when cooler.  Thanks for the feedback.  I want to be comfortable with each option.  

Cell phone - check

Keys - check

Concealed carry - check

Ironically, none of my friends have been told.  I don't want anyone to know and keep it that way.  Just you old farts! 

nov 2019 means your pistol should be clear of any of the original issues/recalls.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

After having camped and hiked with my 9mm at my side this weekend as bear protection, I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to buy a Glock 40 10mm. 
ive also seen where people put harder barrels in them and fire hot loads. Not sure how necessary that might be. Also not sure that the double stacked mag is necessary. Bear won’t be giving me a chance to shoot 15(16). 

I love my G40.  I have the MOS system with a Vortex sight attached, but only because I hunt with it.  It's very comfortable to shoot once you pick the right back strap to fit your hand.

If you want something a little more carry friendly, look at the G20 - Smaller but good capacity.  

Even the G29 would be better than a 9mm for your application.  You'd loose some velocity b/c of the shorter barrel but its still a formidable option.

Unless you are handloading and pushing the edges, the standard barrel is fine.  You can can get relatively hot penetrating / dangerous game rounds from Buffalo Bore or Underwood and feel good about them. 

I also have 10mm revolvers - None of the above suggested by other posters would be a bad choice. 

Hell, buy one of each!

49 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I love my G40.  I have the MOS system with a Vortex sight attached, but only because I hunt with it.  It's very comfortable to shoot once you pick the right back strap to fit your hand.

If you want something a little more carry friendly, look at the G20 - Smaller but good capacity.  

Even the G29 would be better than a 9mm for your application.  You'd loose some velocity b/c of the shorter barrel but its still a formidable option.

Unless you are handloading and pushing the edges, the standard barrel is fine.  You can can get relatively hot penetrating / dangerous game rounds from Buffalo Bore or Underwood and feel good about them. 

I also have 10mm revolvers - None of the above suggested by other posters would be a bad choice. 

Hell, buy one of each!

I think the bigger, heavier g40 would handle something like this best. 
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001484052

and since it would be a camp gun and owb carry on a belt, the larger profile shouldn’t matter. 

then maybe look at a kkm barrel to handle the rounds. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

8 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Do you get the e-mails?  You’re a preferred customer trust me.

Used to get email notifications when I put a Colt SAA on my wishlist, but was always too late to snag one.

just signed up this past week for the Ruger Carbine, but otherwise no emails from them.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think the bigger, heavier g40 would handle something like this best. 
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001484052

and since it would be a camp gun and owb carry on a belt, the larger profile shouldn’t matter. 

then maybe look at a kkm barrel to handle the rounds. 

I’m all for extra barrels and more gear if you just want it but read up on Buffalo Bore’s founder’s comments on their hard cast bullets, hot loads, and factory barrels vs. after market barrels.  I think his articles are in their FAQs, if not it’s easy to google.

I shoot BB and Underwood hot loads and have zero issues.

Buy and enjoy!!!!!

On 6/28/2020 at 7:18 PM, Armybrat said:

The 10mm certainly would be a much better choice for black bear than 9mm.

But for grizzly.... .44 Magnum at the minimum.

(not from experience, just from reading)

454 Casull Ruger Alaskan is my bear gun of choice. Shoots a 45 colt when not in bear land. Took it fishing last year on the Kenai Penninsula.

4 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

454 Casull Ruger Alaskan is my bear gun of choice. Shoots a 45 colt when not in bear land. Took it fishing last year on the Kenai Penninsula.

That’s based on the Bigger Super Redhawk frame and comes in .480 Ruger too, right?

The Casull is a great round.  Sort of mainstreamed the bigger bore handguns in the late 90's after it had been simmering for a few decades......when Ruger adopted it in the late 90's it took off and lead to other developments like the .480 and the .500 S&W. 

Perfect choice for bear country and your Ruger Alaskan is carried by tons of guides up there.

On 6/24/2020 at 5:46 PM, 4th and 5 said:

That sure is a pretty set up you have there. I need to get an XL with optic to go with my usual every day carry P365. 

Somedays it stays home and I go old school though. Today was one of those days. 
CE043CF5-D6EE-462D-A4EC-02672037F066.jpeg.8297096dd8794524137e71625e69a838.jpeg

Brothers by different mother's?0db50b08157fe52b72ef1aa254c6b055.jpg

Edited by SHOOTER12

You have to fire a lot of rounds to get comfortable. Those big round guns can get away from you even if you have practice. They exhaust lots of little muscles in your arms and if your not paying attention your arm can give out an you’ll get a good wack to the face. 

i had a performance center SW 500 4” and the thing that helped me was getting a Nill-Griffe two handed grip. Made an incredible difference. In fact, if you have an HK or S&W you should definitely give them a look. They are the best out there imho. 

https://www.nill-griffe.com/Products_23.html

Edited by Doc Reeves

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

You have to fire a lot of rounds to get comfortable. Those big round guns can get away from you even if you have practice. They exhaust lots of little muscles in your arms and if your not paying attention your arm can give out an you’ll get a good wack to the face. 

i had a performance center SW 500 4” and the thing that helped me was getting a Nill-Griffe two handed grip. Made an incredible difference. In fact, if you have an HK or S&W you should definitely give them a look. They are the best out there imho. 

https://www.nill-griffe.com/Products_23.html

That’s why I have “downsized” to 9mm. Gifted all my .44 Magnums & .45ACPs to my kids. Still have a couple of .357s, but am just shooting .38 Specials through those.
Also have two Rugers in .327 Federal Magnum that are pretty harsh to shoot... mainly because of the noise. Sumbitches are loud.

21 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He seems very reluctant to fire it. How many accurate shots can you get in like 3 seconds with it?  I’d want to shoot one before buying. 

Probably because it will perforate his steel targets. You can get two shots off in three seconds, depends if you practice, and how much you like spending on ammo. I believe the point of this caliber is to only need one shot.

33 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

Probably because it will perforate his steel targets. You can get two shots off in three seconds, depends if you practice, and how much you like spending on ammo. I believe the point of this caliber is to only need one shot.

Friend of mine, his FIL has one.  Had it at the ranch earlier this year.  Honestly, not that bad.  We have a big pile of RR-tie plates we use.  Dented a few slightly, but that's about it.  Big pile of them, similar in size to this.  They work great.  9mm & 5.56mm just bounce off.  

99cacc56eaf234e9a07b0a147d34d440.jpg

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Nice leather too!

29728105-978F-4464-B3CF-2F5758A96A0D.jpeg

I'm a total idiot.  I sold a Talo limited Ruger Vaq in .45acp a few years back.  It wasn't my most used, or carried - but it was the most fun gun I owned.  I reload 45acp so it was nice to shoot with some soft shooting reloads.  I need to buy another one asap.

Ruger Talo Edition Vaquero 45ACP 5152 Revolver Buy Online ...

Edited by krevo
  • Like 1