The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

26 minutes ago, krevo said:

I'm a total idiot.  I sold a Talo limited Ruger Vaq in .45acp a few years back.  It wasn't my most used, or carried - but it was the most fun gun I owned.  I reload 45acp so it was nice to shoot with some soft shooting reloads.  I need to buy another one asap.

Ruger Talo Edition Vaquero 45ACP 5152 Revolver Buy Online ...

You can get on the wait list at Grabagun for one of those.

$705 - stainless,

$661 - blued.

Edited by Armybrat

I have the older framed (larger) Ruger Bird’s Head Vaquero in .45 LC. Mine has the faux-ivory grips. Supposedly Ruger only made about 1600 of that model, which I purchased around 2004-2005.

I have a shoulder / chest rig for it - like Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

Ruger’s larger frames/cylinder combinations allowed them to have some of the few brands that allowed one to shoot “hot” loads like Buffalo Bore or others that would be considered +P or ++P. Only Ruger’s (Old-Vaquero, Red Hawk, and Black Hawks) and Freedom Arms could safely handle the “hot” rounds back in those days. Something like a 240+gr. bullet combined with max pressure on the powder load.

• Like 1

So, I just bought a couple of Glocks (45 and 43x) for the wife and I... I keep hearing how bad the sights are, but as a novice shooter will I really notice much of a difference?  I took them to the range the other day and could see how people would have issues but since I haven't tried any nicer sights, I am not sure how important they are.

Also, I also bought 1000 rounds of range ammo, 15 round magazines and catch mod for the 43x, and I plan on getting training and holsters and such, so I am mostly just interested in a discussion of the sights...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richter said:

So, I just bought a couple of Glocks (45 and 43x) for the wife and I... I keep hearing how bad the sights are, but as a novice shooter will I really notice much of a difference?  I took them to the range the other day and could see how people would have issues but since I haven't tried any nicer sights, I am not sure how important they are.

Also, I also bought 1000 rounds of range ammo, 15 round magazines and catch mod for the 43x, and I plan on getting training and holsters and such, so I am mostly just interested in a discussion of the sights...

There’s nothing wrong with Glocks functionally.  I think they’re great pistols, but I don’t like the look so I wouldn’t buy one.  To me they are ugly and aesthetically they anger me.  Great guns though even if they are ugly looking.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richter said:

If they don't have night-sights, then to me, this is critical.  Can't hit what you can't see.  As a novice, no - you are fine.  Better than fine in fact, as you have no baseline to compare them to, so will learn and become proficient with them.  Same with the stock triggers.  

It's the Indian, not the arrow....

• Like 2

There’s nothing wrong with Glocks functionally.  I think they’re great pistols, but I don’t like the look so I wouldn’t buy one.  To me they are ugly and aesthetically they anger me.  Great guns though even if they are ugly looking.

They’re ugly as shit and the first 3 generations feel like ass. They are the ak of the pistol world. Plentiful, cheap for the most part, and pretty reliable.

Do they still have an unsupported chamber? I remember when I was getting brass to start reloading I was told to keep an eye out for that.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

If they don't have night-sights, then to me, this is critical.  Can't hit what you can't see.  As a novice, no - you are fine.  Better than fine in fact, as you have no baseline to compare them to, so will learn and become proficient with them.  Same with the stock triggers.  

It's the Indian, not the arrow....

Very true....

6B9889FF-CC1F-4CBD-98D8-DA115517DE76.jpeg

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 11:28 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So I started watching AMC's The Son on Hulu, which I definitely recommend if you like history and old guns. It follows the McCullogh family in south Texas switching back and forth between 1849 when the patriarch of the family was abducted by Apaches and the early 1900's when he has established a large ranch in South Texas. Anyhow, it's got me jonesing for a winchester 1907.

spacer.png

Lost out on an auction bid this week for a Winchester 1910 in .401 WSL .  Really wanted it but it was being sold with no magazine and the cost of the gun plus a mag from another seller online just got too rich considering the receiver had been tapped for a scope which reduced the desirability somewhat.

The .401 WSL never took off but it had interesting ballistics in a carbine.  I'll find one soon enough.

Interesting conversation about bear protection.  I've lived in Denali Borough Alaska going on 13 years now, here is my 2 cents...

If you can handle the .454 Casull, that would be the caliber of choice.  It's a lot of recoil though and most folks can't handle it.  Shoot one first.  Stay away from the Glock.  Go with a revolver, and buy a Ruger.  In a bear charge you are only going to have enough time to get off one shot.  Two if you are lucky.  They don't come at you from 50 or 100 feet away, they come at you from 20 or 30.  They charge when you surprise them or when a sow is protecting her cubs.  A bear raiding your camp for food will usually turn tail and run when you make yourself known. I carry a Ruger New Model Black Hawk .44 Magnum. I prefer the single action black hawk to the double action red hawk for two reasons:  Firstly, the single action makes you slow down.  That first shot has to count.  Secondly, the single action can fire hotter loads.  My buddy reloads and makes me my bear rounds.  320 grain hard cast lead at the maximum pressure safety will allow.  More than likely you will never be charged.  I see bears on a weekly basis and they are always running away from me when I finally do see them.  They want nothing to do with humans.  That being said, when venturing into bear country you need to be prepared to protect yourself and your family.     

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Interesting conversation about bear protection.  I've lived in Denali Borough Alaska going on 13 years now, here is my 2 cents...

If you can handle the .454 Casull, that would be the caliber of choice.  It's a lot of recoil though and most folks can't handle it.  Shoot one first.  Stay away from the Glock.  Go with a revolver, and buy a Ruger.  In a bear charge you are only going to have enough time to get off one shot.  Two if you are lucky.  They don't come at you from 50 or 100 feet away, they come at you from 20 or 30.  They charge when you surprise them or when a sow is protecting her cubs.  A bear raiding your camp for food will usually turn tail and run when you make yourself known. I carry a Ruger New Model Black Hawk .44 Magnum. I prefer the single action black hawk to the double action red hawk for two reasons:  Firstly, the single action makes you slow down.  That first shot has to count.  Secondly, the single action can fire hotter loads.  My buddy reloads and makes me my bear rounds.  320 grain hard cast lead at the maximum pressure safety will allow.  More than likely you will never be charged.  I see bears on a weekly basis and they are always running away from me when I finally do see them.  They want nothing to do with humans.  That being said, when venturing into bear country you need to be prepared to protect yourself and your family.     

Gave my Super BH to my son last year because he takes his two boys camping in New Mexico & Colorado sometimes:

39550916-A97A-4FA4-B70D-B8839BF36BE5.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Any details on this? I bought a New Vaquero up thread. Wouldn't mind something to tote it in.

I could make you something, but it'd be pricey compared to factory stuff. It would outlast anything machine sewn you can buy off the rack, however.for reference, all the gunleather I have posted in this thread is my own work.

Curious if anyone has ordered a gun from a gun store in the past few months. Placed an order for a AR pistol 300 blk in mid-May and was told the usual turnaround time would be about 2 weeks (ordered it from McBride's). July 6th and still nothing, I called a couple times and was told (in that wonderful McBride's customer service way) ".....dont know....gets here when it gets here". Obviously things are being sold like crazy and shit's all backed up, but just wondering if anyone here has been waiting for an order like me.

Edited by BayouBill

2 hours ago, BayouBill said:

Curious if anyone has ordered a gun from a gun store in the past few months. Placed an order for a AR pistol 300 blk in mid-May and was told the usual turnaround time would be about 2 weeks (ordered it from McBride's). July 6th and still nothing, I called a couple times and was told (in that wonderful McBride's customer service way) ".....dont know....gets here when it gets here". Obviously things are being sold like crazy and shit's all backed up, but just wondering if anyone here has been waiting for an order like me.

Having the same experiences.  Gun bought a few weeks ago.  Just the background via the system took almost an hour.  Dozens of people waiting.  

Ammo?  DFW?  Good luck....Academy.  Bass Pro.  Field/Stream.  Even Scheels.  None that I have visited have pistol ammo (9mm & 45acp).  Online orders backed up until October for many.  

• Like 1

Shit's borked. 

If they didn't have it in stock then they are at the mercy of the distributor or mfg if they have a direct account.  Everything is back ordered and the supply chain has been interrupted in a lot of places which further complicates it during the unprecedented demand.

Dealer friend of mine has resorted to buying milsurp STAR and Beretta police turn-ins just to have 9mm pistols on his shelves and he can't keep those in stock.

• Like 2

This is precisely why longtime shooters know to stock up when the supply chain runneth over and prices are relatively cheap.

After DJT was elected, the stores were flooded with surplus production, whether it be ARs or common ammo. All that changed with the Covid like the toilet paper, then after It had started lightening up a bit in May for a short while, Minneapolis happened.

Now a $450 S&W AR is going for $750 & up....if you can find one. The Colt LE6920 AR with Magpul furniture I bought for $800 four years ago is now fetching $1,600+ ..... again..if you can find one.

Consensus on most gun forums is, this is the new normal for at least a couple of years at best. And ammo will continue to be scarce until the manufacturers can get all their workers back on the production line.

None of that is true if the democrats take total control of congress & the WH. /cr

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BayouBill said:

Should've bought one in March.  I ordered an extra one around that time when I saw things starting to go crazy.  Took about 10 days from Primary Arms (props to them on the good communication, fast shipping, etc)  Right now - production is slowed due to C19 and demand is extremely high.  The events surrounding George Floyds murder didn't help matters from a demand standpoint.

Even if you got one - ammo is being hoarded at an all time high.  Worse than I've ever seen it before.  (Obama, School shootings, social unrest, etc)

Edited by krevo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, krevo said:

ammo is being hoarded at an all time high.  Worse than I've ever seen it before.  (Obama, School shootings, social unrest, etc)

My guess is this time, both sides are getting into the game.  Before, all my right-leaning friends stocked up.  Left-leaning rolled their eyes.  Now, those eye-rollers are eating crow.  I've had two reach out to me offline (neighborhood friends) to help them pick out a gun and learn to shoot it.  I give them both credit for taking the time to research and train and I will oblige them.  Both are worried about kids/wives, so my "pitch" is this is just another layer in your comprehensive home protection plan.

Everyone has an alarm.  Most people have dogs.  I also suggested they reinforce the front and rear doors (ie., Door Devil or something comparable) and get a barometric safe that they can keep near the bed but keep kids out.  Just a part of your overall home plan.  Also includes fire extinguishers.  Batteries for smoke detectors.  Etc.  

Things like checking window locks after maids of repairmen come in house (which I found once - unlocked....).  Nothing crazy, but a state of more proactive preparedness.  

image?unique=14ab9bb

• Like 2

Ordered probably 4 in the last 2 weeks from 2 online but local-ish gun stores.

From 1 they sent me the 7-20 day notice of added wait times but both were ready and shipped within 3 days. I was happily surprised.

The other had the 7-14 wait, after about 6 biz days I got an email that their distributor botched up my order on both pistols. 1 was just a color mixup which didn’t bother me but the other was the completely wrong pistol that I didn’t want... so I had them ship the one and refund the other. I’m sure someone would buy the wrong pistol that day.

I’m contemplating maybe 1 more purchase this summer but I’m in a holding pattern for now.

Finally found ammo at both Scheels and Academy.  A dozen boxes later I'm feeling better...UNTIL.....I tried to load those tight ass mags.  Sweet baby jesus.  I could get 7-8 in each.  That's it.  Bought the proverbial bullet and ordered a mag loader.  Damn fingers still hurt from wrestling with them.  Read online they loosen up shortly after the mag springs are compressed a few dozens times.  Hoping this is the case.

Angle.jpg

Honestly, this isn't a bad deal at all for this given the the current market.

I paid more for the same gun a little over a year ago and love it, along with the 2 other P320's that I own. 

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-p320-m17-9mm-full-sized-modular-pistol-coyote-320f-9-m17.html?trk_msg=R778NL8VCMO4T6LQJPVQPQRHBK&trk_contact=IPE4U6QQ88BS7D5JMDP90C3FP8&trk_sid=UVC342O25VC4BHHE4N0QBIFC8S&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SHOP+NOW&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=12%3a00+Email

1702658320_ScreenShot2020-07-07at10_41_11.thumb.png.58963ac2b95145e981ce1d44fdfaf136.png

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

Finally found ammo at both Scheels and Academy.  A dozen boxes later I'm feeling better...UNTIL.....I tried to load those tight ass mags.  Sweet baby jesus.  I could get 7-8 in each.  That's it.  Bought the proverbial bullet and ordered a mag loader.  Damn fingers still hurt from wrestling with them.  Read online they loosen up shortly after the mag springs are compressed a few dozens times.  Hoping this is the case.

Angle.jpg?format=750w

Holy crap I’ve never had a problem loading mags until one of my new pistolas... this little Beretta APX magazine is a bitch to get the last 3 rounds in...

I had to stop and make sure they weren’t 10rd mags multiple times even using the mag loader it came with and another mag loader I have.

My thumbs were numb afterwards the 3 times I’ve shot it.

Honestly if it doesn’t get better that might be enough reason for me to sell/gift it to my pops or FiL...

55 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Holy crap I’ve never had a problem loading mags until one of my new pistolas... this little Beretta APX magazine is a bitch to get the last 3 rounds in...

I had to stop and make sure they weren’t 10rd mags multiple times even using the mag loader it came with and another mag loader I have.

My thumbs were numb afterwards the 3 times I’ve shot it.

Honestly if it doesn’t get better that might be enough reason for me to sell/gift it to my pops or FiL...

one of the problems with making micro double stack magazines that hold 10-12 rounds like the APX, 365, etc - they are a bitch to load.  

Yeah my new p365 is tight on the last round, it is much easier with the mag loader but holy farts the apx was 10x harder on 11-13 rds.

But yeah the mini-double stack tightness makes sense.

I’ve bought quite a few of these micro compact pistols to see which, if any, might replace my p2000 as my edc and so far the apx is out of the running, the G48 is kinda meh but it’ll probably stay in my safe. Just picked up my 365 so I haven’t really done anything with it yet.

8 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah my new p365 is tight on the last round, it is much easier with the mag loader but holy farts the apx was 10x harder on 11-13 rds.

But yeah the mini-double stack tightness makes sense.

I’ve bought quite a few of these micro compact pistols to see which, if any, might replace my p2000 as my edc and so far the apx is out of the running, the G48 is kinda meh but it’ll probably stay in my safe. Just picked up my 365 so I haven’t really done anything with it yet.

From those three options - I honestly think the 365 is the best.  Way smaller than the P2000, good capacity, accurate even with the short barrel, and definitely lighter to carry.  I carry my 365XL and hardly notice it sometimes, compared to a G19

On 7/6/2020 at 12:09 PM, Armybrat said:

I’m just looking for a Ruger PC Carbine 9mm. Am on a couple of waiting lists, but if it doesn’t happen... no big deal.

Just ordered one from Grabagun. $30 more than the pre-panic price, but I want one to plink with this summer. Ordered a two pack of extra 17 round SR9 mags, which will give me a total of 7 for this little rifle.
Does not include the four that go with the two new SR9 pistols.

These carbines are take downs too.

Now to look for a sling, a carry case and a budget red dot.

If any of you guys are Glock fans, these carbines have an adapter that lets them take the Glock high capacity 9mm magazines.

BF2E0F15-8AB6-43AB-AB10-E56E3A231CDE.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2