The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

29 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Just ordered one from Grabagun. $30 more than the pre-panic price, but I want one to plink with this summer. Ordered a two pack of extra 17 round SR9 mags, which will give me a total of 7 for this little rifle.
Does not include the four that go with the two new SR9 pistols.

Now to look for a sling and a budget red dot.

If any of you guys are Glock fans, these carbines have an adapter that lets them take the Glock high capacity 9mm magazines.

BF2E0F15-8AB6-43AB-AB10-E56E3A231CDE.jpeg

Brat, great pickup.   I was contemplating picking one up not long ago.  Was bouncing back and forth between the 9 and 40, and never did anything.  Pretty sure it was in the "panic pricing", although my want for it has nothing to do with that.  I had just recently discovered them.   Aside from the $$ of ammo, and reason to go 9 over 40?  

42 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Brat, great pickup.   I was contemplating picking one up not long ago.  Was bouncing back and forth between the 9 and 40, and never did anything.  Pretty sure it was in the "panic pricing", although my want for it has nothing to do with that.  I had just recently discovered them.   Aside from the $$ of ammo, and reason to go 9 over 40?  

The reason I chose the 9mm was because I already have close to 1,000 rounds of range & SD ammo, and have never had a .40 caliber pistol. Just didn’t want to start up a new to me caliber.

Heck, even though 9mm is scarce as a smart aggy, lots of 9mm shot shells are available. So I might order a bunch of that stuff just what fer.

15 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Where's everyone shooting rifles now that Best Of is closed?  I mean for long range and being able to set up some drills.  I'm north of Austin.

Dunno about public outdoor ranges, but my family shoots on our land.

6D0CBDF4-8449-4F13-A52F-8BDE48E0FBAB.jpeg

Where's everyone shooting rifles now that Best Of is closed?  I mean for long range and being able to set up some drills.  I'm north of Austin.

There is a great place outside of burnet.

Reveille peak ranch. 1000 yard range up the side of a mountain and tons of tactical bays. Newish place so it’s still figuring things out.

Tim Kennedy shoots there. It’s where I go as well but I’m no Tim Kennedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I have a 9mm, and would eventually like to add a 40 to that (my handgun collection is...tremendously lacking) at some point.  I couldn't even tell you what the delta in ammunition price is during "normal" times.   The reason I was looking at them was I'm beginning to introduce my oldest to shooting, and she's done fantastic with the 10/.22, but it's set up VERY heavy as a target gun and figured this might fit her better, and still be low recoil enough to continue advancing.  And if not, it would be a cool plinker.  My typical purchases are typically not synthetic anything, so stepping out of my boundaries here a bit.

The reason I chose the 9mm was because I already have close to 1,000 rounds of range & SD ammo, and have never had a .40 caliber pistol. Just didn’t want to start up a new to me caliber.

Heck, even though 9mm is scarce as a smart aggy, lots of 9mm shot shells are available. So I might order a bunch of that stuff just what fer.

Edited by fattyflattie
Meant to quote AB above.

Its telling that the availability of .40 is so much higher now than 9mm which is almost nonexistent. 

Shows just how many people dumped their .40's in the last few years. 

I still own and keep both, but I was looking last night at SG and Natchez among others and you can still get .40 but 9 is MIA all together.

When my nephew was on a Hill Country police force, over the years he accumulated about 6,000 rounds of .40 from his fellow officers. They all were issued a certain amount to practice with before their annual qualification, but few of them actually shot very little of it.

Enterprising nephew did a lot of bbq smoking, so he would trade brisket sammiches & sausage wraps for their excess ammo that they didn’t care about keeping.

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Oh my lord. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872406852

I will say the wood is beautiful and I'd be at least a little bit tempted for half the price. 

Really want a P-Gun 4 barrel set, but this is beyond my price range. 

1130443056_ScreenShot2020-07-08at20_54_16.thumb.png.3298a313cb8ce35b38ec382d8fd087ee.png

1282757831_ScreenShot2020-07-08at20_54_34.png.0dc34f49e8ad4688daa79d0743c94ccf.png

2025555373_ScreenShot2020-07-08at20_56_21.thumb.png.79051b2dc0540189f84ee6ec934022b6.png

I’ve been trying to justify a P for awhile, but just can’t bring myself to it. I figure if I can pick up a trigger group here, grab the barrels there, it would take away the sting. But still can’t bring myself to it.  There’s been a 20/28 combo on there I really like but I just can’t do it.   But you should do it, for sure. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve been trying to justify a P for awhile, but just can’t bring myself to it. I figure if I can pick up a trigger group here, grab the barrels there, it would take away the sting. But still can’t bring myself to it.  There’s been a 20/28 combo on there I really like but I just can’t do it.   But you should do it, for sure. 

Problem is, they are so custom that it's hard to figure out exactly what a "fair value" is.

I think $40k is a little high, but it's probably close for a 4 barrel set with upgraded wood and engraving given the $5k cost of extra barrels on the base model. (near as I can tell, there is not an "M8" model, just MX-8) 

1150128749_ScreenShot2020-07-09at05_50_16.thumb.png.328f2edbb00565bdd8c9632ffcc4bee4.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 05.56.34.png

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Anyone want Bonnie and Clyde's shotgun for a conversation piece?

Wincester 1897 - Bonnie and Clyde

Last purchased at auction in Kansas City in 2012; attributed to belonging to Bonnie & Clyde and seized in 1933 after a deadly shootout in Joplin, Missouri. The gun was seized after a police shootout with Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow in Joplin, Missouri on April 13, 1933. Police raided an apartment where the couple was hiding out. Bonnie & Clyde escaped, but two officers died in the shootout. A police officer later gave the shotgun to Mark Lairmore, who was a Tulsa, OK police officer, and it remained in the Lairmore family. The gun had been displayed in a police museum in Springfield, Missouri from 1973 until late 2011, and it was auctioned during January of 2012. This is a unique opportunity to own a piece of history. Serial number E 650715. HIGH BID ACCEPTANCE SUBJECT TO APPROVAL OF THE ESTATE.

Edited by Reagan1k

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Problem is, they are so custom that it's hard to figure out exactly what a "fair value" is.

I think $40k is a little high, but it's probably close for a 4 barrel set with upgraded wood and engraving given the $5k cost of extra barrels on the base model. (near as I can tell, there is not an "M8" model, just MX-8) 

1150128749_ScreenShot2020-07-09at05_50_16.thumb.png.328f2edbb00565bdd8c9632ffcc4bee4.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 05.56.34.png

New barrels are ~5k when they pop up, slightly changing depending on weight and makeup.   You can find nice fore grips for ~1k when they show up.  You can actually find nice wood for 1.5k and museum grade stuff for 3-5k sometimes.    But yeah, pretty hard (at least for me) to ever wrap my head around 40k for a gun, generational or not.  

One thing that has always stopped me is that for that money (12-15k) the wood needs to be fitted.  And the likelyhood I’m finding my exact fit, with the right look, for the right price, just doesn’t seem likely.   That’s what drove my thoughts about trying to piece one together. Get it all together and then get the wood done proper.   The other thing is these guns are typically very well used.  Many you can tell they’ve been putting thru several flats a week for years.  You don’t seem to find too many without blemishes.  So I’ll probably get one about the time I retire.  There’s one guy on gunbroker out of Cali that constantly has stuff for them, I keep an eye on his auctions.   

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

One thing that has always stopped me is that for that money (12-15k) the wood needs to be fitted.  And the likelyhood I’m finding my exact fit, with the right look, for the right price, just doesn’t seem likely.   That’s what drove my thoughts about trying to piece one together. Get it all together and then get the wood done proper.   

Yes, I'm a big dude, so fitting would be a definite requirement. My current (tubed) 682 has a ton of cast off and an extra inch and a half on the stock and an adjustable comb, which would have to be done (is done) for any new gun I buy. Larry Feland could do it for me, but then I'm taking this beautiful wood and fucking it up as soon as I buy the gun. I'm cool doing that to my $2k Beretta and a couple of 1100's that I use to hunt. Much less cool cutting up the stock on something this nice and expensive. 

Seems as if I' going to spend $40k on a gun, I could spend that money on myself and order one from Italy that's made to fit from the start. And I could get slightly less nice engraving and instead fly to Italy and get it fitted and pick it up at the factory. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

The other thing is these guns are typically very well used.  Many you can tell they’ve been putting thru several flats a week for years.  You don’t seem to find too many without blemishes.

Here's one that is "gently used" coming up at public auction in 3 months.  Perazzi

Rock Island runs nice auctions and their stuff always comes in better than their grading indicates - very conservative evaluations IMO.

That auction coming up in October is one I'd like to attend live.  3 days and thousands of lots for sale.

On 6/28/2020 at 5:03 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

After having camped and hiked with my 9mm at my side this weekend as bear protection, I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to buy a Glock 40 10mm. 
ive also seen where people put harder barrels in them and fire hot loads. Not sure how necessary that might be. Also not sure that the double stacked mag is necessary. Bear won’t be giving me a chance to shoot 15(16). 

You are better off carrying a good bear spray according to this bear biologist. https://www.backpacker.com/survival/the-truth-about-bears-the-skills?li_source=LI&li_medium=m2m-rcw-backpacker 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

That’s probably what I’ll end up doing. One of those Etchen 20/28 combos with fantastic wood and will continue to lust after my P.  Or split the middle and grab a CG. 

I actually bought my son a 686 Onyx 20/28 combo earlier this year. It's a great little gun with beautiful wood for only a little more than the silver pigeon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

You are better off carrying a good bear spray according to this bear biologist. https://www.backpacker.com/survival/the-truth-about-bears-the-skills?li_source=LI&li_medium=m2m-rcw-backpacker 

I always have bear spray.  It’s not fucking either/or, CARL!

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Dug this out today.  My old 92S that was beat all to hell over the years.

I'm normally not a refinish guy but this one got sent off for a cerakote shower and clean grips.

Doesn't show up but the barrel is black.

IMG_0340.jpg

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 5

On 6/23/2020 at 2:21 PM, Somnio said:

I ordered a Kel-tec RDB yesterday, along with a Holosun green dot sight and 3x magnifier.

It hasn't shipped yet, but after I pick it up I'll post some pics.

Just got back from the range shooting my RDB for the first time.  I like it.  I like it alot.  I also shot my Springfield TRP, so it's included for your viewing pleasure.

20200709_183946.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

As a non-practicing wildlife biologist, you shouldn't trust anybody who tries to compare guns versus pepper spray. They serve two different purposes and are best used in two different sets of circumstances.

• Like 3

Yeah, what's the old adage?  Something along the lines of . . . If you're going to use a handgun against a grizzly, make sure you file the front sight down first.  That way it won't hurt as much when the bear shoves the gun up your ass.

That said, I can't fault Pato for carrying both if it makes him feel safer.  

Anyone familiar with Smith and Wessons warranty policy?  My MP 2.0 that I shot for the first time today crapped out on me.  Initially it was having feeding issues so I had to jam the slide forward.  Issue was fixed on that one but would have same issues after the 4th clip.  Then I shot it again and it looked like a bad detonation.  Cleared the gun.  Tried to shoot it again but now it won't shoot at all

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Anyone familiar with Smith and Wessons warranty policy?  My MP 2.0 that I shot for the first time today crapped out on me.  Initially it was having feeding issues so I had to jam the slide forward.  Issue was fixed on that one but would have same issues after the 4th clip.  Then I shot it again and it looked like a bad detonation.  Cleared the gun.  Tried to shoot it again but now it won't shoot at all

I think your problem is the clip. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Yikes.  Sounds like you need to get an RMA.  I’ve never had one issue with mine.  In fact, it’s my car gun due to the fact that I’ve fired 1,000 rounds through it with 0 malfunctions.  That’s even after using aftermarket 25 round magazines.

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Yikes.  Sounds like you need to get an RMA.  I’ve never had one issue with mine.  In fact, it’s my car gun due to the fact that I’ve fired 1,000 rounds through it with 0 malfunctions.  That’s even after using aftermarket 25 round magazines.

Yeah.  I have the 2.0 compact as my car gun and I liked it so much I bought the full size because i wanted a bigger gun.  Hopefully Smith and Wesson fixes the issue.

The backup for my nightstand pistol is this old Winchester 1200 Defender 12 ga. Eight shot pump. I have a pistol grip for it, but when installed, the recoil from a standard 00 2&3/4 was just too much. So back on went the original wood buttstock.

Now I see they make “tactical” stocks with a pistol grip. This one is $95 in stock at Brownell’s. Am very interested, so what say you, Surly?

927DCE8A-2399-4D6A-8E2E-82A5E027C3FF.jpeg

5EA59299-7A51-4866-A61A-0B79735FE5CB.jpeg