The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Ok I’m starting to get real agitated with this ammo problem. I don’t need any, but I want some. For 20 years I’ve bought a box or 2 a month. Sometimes I’d order a 1000 rounds of 9. Or pick up 60 rounds of 300BO when I go to academy to get something else. Now every time I go I don’t find anything I want and it is disturbing my routine. My OCD can’t handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New scope day.  The 1975 Weatherby .270 Wby Mag is getting it’s original Burris Fullfield 6x back with new glass that was refurbished by Burris.

The 1965 Browning hi-Power Safari in .30-06 is having its original Leupold M7 4x replaced by the Vortex Diamondback.  The Leupold works great and looks great on the rifle but I am hunting in an area that faces West and the glare at dusk is just too much. Will probably use higher rings on the Vortex and just keep it on low magnification.  I could not find a nice fixed power scope to replace the Leupold.  If I do I’ll likely switch again.

8EBCF41D-062C-4B8C-A732-4C4E73448E70.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Those Browning Safaris are fine rifles.

I inherited two of them from my Dad’s best friend. One was a .30-06, the other a .243. Both beautiful guns, with the .30-06 showing some wear from numerous Alaska hunts during the 1960s. The 55 year old .243 looked like NIB.

Gifted them to my sons. Several years ago.

59 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Those Browning Safaris are fine rifles.

I inherited two of them from my Dad’s best friend. One was a .30-06, the other a .243. Both beautiful guns, with the .30-06 showing some wear from numerous Alaska hunts during the 1960s. The 55 year old .243 looked like NIB.

Gifted them to my sons. Several years ago.

I know :)  If the one with the .243 ever decides to sell I would love to be the first contacted.    You can tell I take care of this one.

Ready for deer season. Used see through sights so I can still use the iron sights. 

BDDFB8BE-C510-4117-83AD-A97ED793B6E5.jpeg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

So I may qualify for one of Surly's more liberal (no c/r) sorts as a ratio to number of guns owned (inherited from my dad when I was 16).  But at any rate, some already were here at the old DCBC house locked up, and the rest were in a cool, hidden gun cabinet at my mom's place.  Well she is downsizing and the house is going on the market.  So I went to go through the long overdue process of removing the crap that was considered mine from the stuff worth keeping.  Sorry for the long intro, but this is about half of the collection that just came home and perplexed/amazed my kids (the rest was already here with me).

1940 Winchester .270 Model 70

1953 Browning A-5; 12 Gauge  (Belgium) (Dad's initials engraved on side plate).

1950 Winchester Model 94; 30-30 Rifle

1966 Weatherby .270 Magnum (W. Germany) (Dad's name plated on the butt of the pistol grip)

Late 1960s Browning FN Trombone .22 Pump Rifle (DCBC's first gun to shoot)

1977 Remington Model 1100 .410 Shotgun

1982 (?) Thompson/Center Flint Lock Black Powder Muzzle Loader 50 Cal. "The British are Coming!"

1984 Remington Model 1100 20 Gauge Shotgun (DCBC's first bird gun)

The rest of the collection includes a Mini 14 (gift from my sister's college roommate's dad when I was 6 (really)); M1 Carbine (Dad's driving out to the ranch protection); Charter Arms .38 police special, 1941 Colt .45 1911a (lend lease WWII pistol); Winchester (I think) 12 gauge pump (has Nydar airplane gunsight mount (I have the Nydar site in a box), Remington Model 42 .410 pump, and I think that's it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So I may qualify for one of Surly's more liberal (no c/r) sorts as a ratio to number of guns owned (inherited from my dad when I was 16).  But at any rate, some already were here at the old DCBC house locked up, and the rest were in a cool, hidden gun cabinet at my mom's place.  Well she is downsizing and the house is going on the market.  So I went to go through the long overdue process of removing the crap that was considered mine from the stuff worth keeping.  Sorry for the long intro, but this is about half of the collection that just came home and perplexed/amazed my kids (the rest was already here with me).

1940 Winchester .270 Model 70

1953 Browning A-5; 12 Gauge  (Belgium) (Dad's initials engraved on side plate).

1950 Winchester Model 94; 30-30 Rifle

1966 Weatherby .270 Magnum (W. Germany) (Dad's name plated on the butt of the pistol grip)

Late 1960s Browning FN Trombone .22 Pump Rifle (DCBC's first gun to shoot)

1977 Remington Model 1100 .410 Shotgun

1982 (?) Thompson/Center Flint Lock Black Powder Muzzle Loader 50 Cal. "The British are Coming!"

1984 Remington Model 1100 20 Gauge Shotgun (DCBC's first bird gun)

The rest of the collection includes a Mini 14 (gift from my sister's college roommate's dad when I was 6 (really)); M1 Carbine (Dad's driving out to the ranch protection); Charter Arms .38 police special, 1941 Colt .45 1911a (lend lease WWII pistol); Winchester (I think) 12 gauge pump (has Nydar airplane gunsight mount (I have the Nydar site in a box), Remington Model 42 .410 pump, and I think that's it.

Lot of words with no pictures.

Is the '84 1100 a LT20 or standard sized gun.  Those LT20's are sweet little guns and often selected as a 1st bird gun for kids.

I'd love to have an 1100 in 410 too.  Very jealous.

Oh, and lets see a picture of the 1940 Model 70.  Don't get rid of that.......But if you do, I'm your huckleberry.

Edit:  

Remington Model 42 .410 pump, and I think that's it

Remington 42 or Winchester 42? 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Lot of words with no pictures.

That's a good point.  I'll have to do the fashion show photo shoot at some point.  Too worn out for words right now.  Cleaning out a big house 3.5 hours away and doing the round trip the same day takes its tole on our hero.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/27/2020 at 7:56 AM, Reagan1k said:

Is the '84 1100 a LT20 or standard sized gun.  Those LT20's are sweet little guns and often selected as a 1st bird gun for kids.

I'd love to have an 1100 in 410 too.  Very jealous.

Oh, and lets see a picture of the 1940 Model 70.  Don't get rid of that.......But if you do, I'm your huckleberry.

Edit:  

Remington 42 or Winchester 42? 

Sorry.  Winchester 42.

The 1100 is an LT20 and it was my first bird gun.

The 1100 .410 was my dad's armadillo gun at night and his water moccasin gun when we'd go fishing when we used to have our ranch.

No current plans to sell anything.  I'm weirdly sentimentally attached to all of it even though I don't hunt anymore.  My older son is very interested, which means I'll probably end up at the range or shooting trap with him at some point.  The exception to the selling question is that muzzle loader. 

The Model 70 seems to be in very good shape.  He retired it when he bought the Weatherby. 

That Weatherby (and the Model 70) are the only two I haven't fired.  I'm a grown man and I'm still a little terrified of that howitzer.  Saw him miss a white tail by a hair with it at 700 yards once.  But he made more long shots with that rifle than he missed is my romanticized memory of it.  But his stories of missing always were worded as "he was on the run and I shot ahead of him to get him turned around."  My older brother would always stand behind him mouthing the words, "He missed."

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Those are all excellent firearms to pass along.

The older LT20s like yours and mine are great bird guns, along with the  410s they have quite the following with enthusiasts - very pricey!

Good to know.  I had no idea.  Most of the stuff is well used.  Plenty of nicks on the stocks.  The LT20 is in better shape than most for its age.

Edited by dcbc

Oh, and on that Model 70.....If you want to have the gun looked at - Pre64win.com

Guy is a model 70 wizard with an OCD complex to do it RIGHT - the only thing he'll work on is a Pre64 70...period   - he'll clean it...inspect part by part, can repair or replace anything down to original springs and screws, will give you barrel and throat grades.  Will even do a complete restoration or modification if you want.  He'll maximize the usability and / or value of the gun to your wants/needs.

Worth a look.

15 hours ago, Armybrat said:

M1 Carbine

They are so much fun.  Loud as all get out, but great little platforms.  The original .30 carbine round utilizing 110gr ball ammo was weak - however modern hunting/sporting ammo is a different story.  Out of the longer barrel, I've seen ballistics (on paper, mind you) that come close to replicating the terminal effects of a .357 Mag out of a handgun (7' barrel)

The longer barrels make all the difference (your mom...)

Take a .357 in a carbine/lever-action, load it hot, and inside 100yds it's replicating a lower-grain 30-30.  The velocities achieved with these pistol calibers in longer barrels is pretty cool.  I've gut-punched hogs at 100+ yds with a .44mag lever action and they were not happy....

• Hook 'Em 1

Question on the tax stamp... when do you know what the hell is going on? Does my FFL just call me out of the blue one day saying “he it’s here” or what? Is there a place to check the status?

You can call the NFA number to check in the status of your stamp. You’ll need the serial and transferor(your LGS).

It’s basically 3-4 possible answers.

Not received/cashed
Cashed on ##/##/####
Approved on ##/##/####
Not sure of the verbiage of this but if something goes wrong...

But even when approved it can take up to 30 days for them to send it to your LGS.

Basically you want to know when your “check” was cashed by nfa and that’s about it... I’d suggest the reddit r/nfa monthly mega thread appproval, it can kinda give you an idea about how long the waits are going each month

It does, it’s a needless paywall denial of product but it is what it is right now.

Basically you wanna know your check was cashed and then forget about it for a few months, check again, forget about it for a few months...

Mine took 204 days from cashed to approved, then another 37 days for stamp to arrive at LGS.

43 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

CDNN has some special edition Talo Ruger #1 Single Shot rifles in .44 Magnum... $1,299.99.

20” barrel:

7C7CA8AD-1D52-407C-B1A2-AAFC0ECA4597.jpeg

I want that exact gun in .220 Swift.  Had the chance to get one in pristine condition years back....passed like an idiot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I want that exact gun in .220 Swift.  Had the chance to get one in pristine condition years back....passed like an idiot.  

Saw one on gunbroker within the last 6 months or so.  Kinda stuck out is the only reason I remember. 

On 7/26/2020 at 7:33 PM, dcbc said:

M1 Carbine (Dad's driving out to the ranch protection);

That was the first gun I really leaned to shoot. Mines a General Motors and is smooth as glass. God only knows how many I’ve put down that tube.  But it was my favorite from 8 yo until my early teens when I started getting into clays.  What a great list of guns, dad knew his stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 2