The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

That was the first gun I really leaned to shoot. Mines a General Motors and is smooth as glass. God only knows how many I’ve put down that tube.  But it was my favorite from 8 yo until my early teens when I started getting into clays.  What a great list of guns, dad knew his stuff. 

Not surprising.  After both WWII/Korea tens of millions of service rifles flooded the civilian markets.  I have a CMP Garand.  I know many others that have/had the trifecta:  Carbines, Garands, and a 1911.  You could get them almost anywhere:  hardware stores, catalogs, etc.  

33 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not surprising.  After both WWII/Korea tens of millions of service rifles flooded the civilian markets.  I have a CMP Garand.  I know many others that have/had the trifecta:  Carbines, Garands, and a 1911.  You could get them almost anywhere:  hardware stores, catalogs, etc.  

Yeah, my dad was in WWII and stayed in the military until 1964.  He told me that he was buying surplus carbines for $10 and giving them to friends for ranch guns.  Of course, he didn't buy one for his family.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, baboso said:

Yeah, my dad was in WWII and stayed in the military until 1964.  He told me that he was buying surplus carbines for $10 and giving them to friends for ranch guns.  Of course, he didn't buy one for his family.

My brother bought one in the early 1960s through the NRA program for $20. Mailed directly to his front door.

It was a brand new unissued carbine coated with cosmoline still wrappedin the paper. Don’t recall who made it, but probably Inland.

he sold it a year later for $100..

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

My brother bought one in the early 1960s through the NRA program for $20. Mailed directly to his front door.

It was a brand new unissued carbine coated with cosmoline still wrappedin the paper. Don’t recall who made it, but probably Inland.

he sold it a year later for $100..

The old ads in the back of Field and Stream, or later in Shotgun News still haunt me to this day.......they were begging you to buy all that old surplus to clean out the cluttered warehouses.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

The old ads in the back of Field and Stream, or later in Shotgun News still haunt me to this day.......they were begging you to buy all that old surplus to clean out the cluttered warehouses.

And to think, I paid $20 for one of those really shitty stamped metal EIG .22 revolvers made in Germany. That thing sheared off more lead than actually made it out of the muzzle. Have no idea why I bought it. Already had the Single Six I bought new in 1959...

7B520189-F8FE-419D-BAF5-32CE7A942539.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

d7a3e0d25262a64ffdf97180df19482c.jpge0dcf2ae1838a5611b51bff7363e3b10.jpg
New 300BO day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice. I love the Eotech with flip to side magnifier set up.

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I have the trifecta. My Garand is the CMP Special, completely restored, she's a beauty 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve been holding a never fired Garand for a family friend in the safe at my folks house for at least 15 years.   No 1911 tho :( 

Dad bought three new in cosmoline surplus rifles in the 50's for 5 bucks each. They were WW1 Springfields and never fired. He sold one for 500 and told me he wished he had the same offer for Garands. Five bucks each for unfired Garands would printing money. I remember in the late 80's i almost bought an IBM built rifle for 100 bucks (worked for IBM and thought it would be cool). Advertised in Shotgun News

4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

I have the trifecta. My Garand is the CMP Special, completely restored, she's a beauty 

I have a trifecta from the CMP.  Luckily got drawn in the 1911 lottery very early.

Edited by Reagan1k

34 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

@Armybrat I have a 9 year old SR9 that I like. Comfortable, reliable. Is the quality still the same on today's production? My uncle is looking for a entry handgun. Thought I might have him try one out. Thanks. Hope I didn't wake you from your nap.😉

Yes it is. Bought my first one in 2008 (paid $430 at a gun show) and two more late last year  ($300 & $250 online.- both new). Of course prices jumped this spring with the craziness. Fit, & finish are excellent.
The 1st one suffered a bunch of light strikes with WWB ammo at the initial range session. Cleaning all the gunk out of the striker channel did the trick. No more failures In the several hundred subsequent rounds I put thru it before gifting it to my son 5 years ago. Have not shot the two new ones yet, but they came a lot cleaner from the factory than the first one.
Extra magazines are hard to come by nowadays, but did see that GrabaGun today has the 2-pack of 17 rounders in stock (at the moment) for $46.99 plus tax & shipping. Last pair I ordered two months ago were $39.99.

The SR9 is no longer regular production, but is sold as distributor editions, from what I understand. Good luck on finding one. 
My last one bought in December from Sportsman’s Warehouse... still has the tag. The other one is fixing to get fired for function check as is my new Ruger PC Carbine, which uses the same 17 round magazines.

0B13E02B-4DCD-4A5D-83BE-7790BE4A4A25.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

On 7/31/2020 at 1:22 PM, BabaYaga said:

Ask him to let you shoot it.....;)

m1a2-abrams-battle-tank-02.jpg?itok=RZSw

Oh, that has happened.  When it did, I entertained fleeting thoughts of hightailing it out of there with the gun in hand (I am younger and faster . . . even when toting a 10 pound rifle),  but that would have made future family get-togethers a little awkward. 

Just looked at the Federal site.... they have available at the moment 9mm AE 124 gr. Fmj for $18.99/box of 50. (Double usual price).

Free shipping for purchases over $99.

Right now, SGammo has 27 boxes of Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115 grain HP for $27.95/box of 25, plus tax & shipping.

Edited by Armybrat

51 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I should buy a .243. Ammo is everywhere.

Edit: plz don’t post a picture of a Wilson combat AR in .243.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’ll last until Sept. or Oct. when the casual deer hunters each grab a couple boxes for their annual sight in and deer season.  

Once it’s gone it’ll be slow to restock bc the mfgs will still be playing catch up on the volume stuff.  What’s available now- .243, .270, ‘06 and 7mag will be scarce by December. 

Before my folks moved out of state, helped Dad downsize his deer rifle to a sweet Savage 114 American Classic Stainless with a decent Cabelas-brand 3x9 scope.  Perfect round for shooters getting older or with smaller frames.  Anyway, it's a safe queen and he mentioned giving it to my son this year who went through the ROOF when he heard.  He was so excited.  In Texas, .243 is an all around fantastic round.  As mentioned, varmints, deer, pigs.  Flat and fast with a short-action rifle.  I might use it more than him....;)

243 is one of my all time favorite cartridges.  Flat shooting and fast.  Then again, I love anything 6mm or 6.5.  

Bought the kid a 7mm-08, and I steal it often. Great light tree stand gun that shoots great. Was between .243 and 7mm-08 for his first deer gun, but don’t regret it.

8 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Bought the kid a 7mm-08, and I steal it often. Great light tree stand gun that shoots great. Was between .243 and 7mm-08 for his first deer gun, but don’t regret it.

Same parent cartridge, short-action, and can load a heavier grain pill.  Both are great.  

31 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

My local SO picked up one of these 5.7 handguns in a drug dealer arrest this week. First time I have read about one on the streets. (Street crime is my career.) Interesting.

Had to have been stolen.  Dealers and street criminals don’t go on wait lists at FFLs for a 5.7 and pay that cost for Ammo.