The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Finally got to get my Keltec CMR30 out to the ranch last weekend to sight in the red dot optic.  Shot 30gr, 40gr, 45g, and 50gr.  It seemed to be most accurate with the 45 and 50gr and feed completely problem free with everything but the 30gr.  Their manual says that 30gr isn't enough to really cycle the action.  

For being a cheaply made, semi auto 22 magnum, the thing is almost laser gun accurate.  Many of the groups I shot at 25 yards were cloverleafs and at 50 - they were less than 1" (shooting in a benchrest)

Edited by krevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/7/2020 at 8:18 PM, Armybrat said:

Wouldn’t mind one of these in .243 for $1,199.

DDBB576C-B54B-4E19-860F-2F96CCD2F178.jpeg

I had a chance to pick one up in 22-250 from a old coworker of mine.  Still kick myself every time I see a picture of one.  I will own one some day.  Just has to be the right caliber.

37 minutes ago, krevo said:

I had a chance to pick one up in 22-250 from a old coworker of mine.  Still kick myself every time I see a picture of one.  I will own one some day.  Just has to be the right caliber.

Bet it wasn’t $1,199 either.

My oldest brother bought one for under $500 a few decades ago. .30-06.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:38 PM, HRSchenker said:

Blah blah blah supply and demand free market whatever. I still can't believe this is real

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/dfw-glock-g17-gen-2.99118/

It’s not real, but Cheaper Than Dirt is really selling 9mm for $1.00/pop in 50 round boxes.  That blows my mind that they must have takers at that price. 

243 is one of my all time favorite cartridges.  Flat shooting and fast.  Then again, I love anything 6mm or 6.5.  

I have a 660 in 6.5 Remington magnum learned to hunt with it, still have the same Nikon scope since 1990, I have inherited it when my dad passed, Ammo is hard to find and expensive and not easy to reload. The damn gun kicks like a mule too and is loud I know there are better options but I can’t bring myself to hunt with anything else, it has anchored everything I’ve ever shot with it within 10 feet and is an absolute laser, serial number has it from the early sixties.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I can't remember if I posted this earlier or not, but I finished this holster last month just in time for our four week tour of the western US. The gun is a Rossi .44 mag snub nose I picked up cheaply at Academy several years ago before a trip to Montana. I wanted something that I could carry while wearing our Osprey Poco Plus while hiking in bear country. If I wear it just above my front left pocket, it is actually very comfortable with the pack waist belt on and fairly easily accessible. 

spacer.png

It also conceals pretty well under an untucked T shirt with just the bottom sticking out.

10 hours ago, BrickTop said:

I have a 660 in 6.5 Remington magnum learned to hunt with it, still have the same Nikon scope since 1990, I have inherited it when my dad passed, Ammo is hard to find and expensive and not easy to reload. The damn gun kicks like a mule too and is loud I know there are better options but I can’t bring myself to hunt with anything else, it has anchored everything I’ve ever shot with it within 10 feet and is an absolute laser, serial number has it from the early sixties.

That's really cool.  A lot of people have no idea that the 6.5 Rem. Mag even existed.

Those 660's in 6.5 are pretty hard to come by.  Not many made relative to the more popular calibers at the time (like .243).

Honestly there aren't many "better options" as aside from ammo being a challenge, you can put that round up against any whitetail cartridge and not play second fiddle to any one.

Thanks for sharing that.!  

12 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Of course they are.

And that linked thread is like California off roster prices right there

Some of the replies to that were pretty funny - people offering to trade acres of land, etc. 

Guy had fun with it - even posted this 

hey everyone, thanks for your interest. So many people have messaged me, and honestly, it's overwhelming.
I've raised the price by just $150 to see if that will slow down the offers.
Thanks for understanding.

Sad thing is there are so many new guy buyers around right now they probably thought that was the going rate not knowing any better.  If left in a vacuum without the other posters turning it into a comedy routine, he'd have probably accidentally sold it for that to someone who didn't know any better.

That's really cool.  A lot of people have no idea that the 6.5 Rem. Mag even existed.
Those 660's in 6.5 are pretty hard to come by.  Not many made relative to the more popular calibers at the time (like .243).
Honestly there aren't many "better options" as aside from ammo being a challenge, you can put that round up against any whitetail cartridge and not play second fiddle to any one.
Thanks for sharing that.!  

5094c7b8e056ac6ed8e29f324c80c0f8.jpg
My apologies it’s a 600, always mix those up, stubby little thing 75076e6685b6048a45e41af7657886d8.jpg99c524a3db35dd82cb32aa26073367ff.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BrickTop said:

My apologies it’s a 600, always mix those up, stubby little thing

Kissing cousins.  Both are cool little rifles.  The 600, 660, and 788 were all excellent rifles (especially considering their price points at the time) that have recently been more appreciated by shooters and collectors.  Sort of a cult following since their production numbers were a fraction of the 700.

I wanted a 600 carbine in .308 for a nostalgic truck gun to take until I got serious about it last year and saw the prices.  I wouldn't want to bang one around these days.

Edited by Reagan1k

It’s definitely never let me down with the exception of ammo, I bought some rando’s hand loads in bulk about 10 years ago off gunbroker because my Ammo search came up empty, biggest take was a 450 pound boar at 225 yards, pretty much dropped him where he stood? This round decent for stepping up to larger game? Bullet itself is smallish but it does have great velocity

I tried subbing it out one year with a 45/70 promptly saw and missed the biggest axis buck I’ve seen in my life, would of been great too as I was on a 1 buck 1 doe hunt for 300 bucks regardless of size the guy had never seen or ever saw an axis again on his land

Just a head's up if anyone is interested in the Springfield Armory XDM Elite OSP.  Apparently they are having major supply issues with the optics plates.  There are supposed to be 3 included for different red dots, instead you have to order one plate via their website now...and it takes 8-12 weeks to get in

21 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

2700 rounds purchased in the last 2 weeks.

9mm brass (1050)
300bo (850)
6.5C (120)
223/556 (680)

It’s out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah it is. I've Pieced together around 1700 rounds between .270, .223, 9mm, and 300 blk. GT and Guns Warehouse have been where I've had the most luck.

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Own a 43x. Not what you asked but can elaborate if you like.

I have a glock 22 and love it.  I'm looking for something for an everyday carry.  I already have a Springfield XDS as one but I would prefer a glock since I just like them better.

Just now, Moby Ric said:

I have a glock 22 and love it.  I'm looking for something for an everyday carry.  I already have a Springfield XDS as one but I would prefer a glock since I just like them better.

19X is a 19 with a handle (larger) of a 17.  Might be little large for a carry gun, but all around good platform for it's target market - those that like the 19, but need a slightly larger grip/capacity.  Same idea with the 43X.  Buddy has one.  He loves it.  I went back & forth between the 43x and P365 as my EDC.  Just a preference matter.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Moby Ric said:

I have big hands so I need a bigger grip.  What my draw is the 19 round mag vs the 8 round my Springfield has.  I found a good conceal holster for the 19.  I see the 43x holds 10.

Cool thing is the 19x utilizes the 17 mags, so can swap back/forth.  

22 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

Would like to know Academy's sorcery. 

Not sure about TX, but I heard a big issue in the south eastern states is that Academy had furloughed a lot of freight drivers due to Covid and therefore normal deliveries are off schedule.  Academy supposedly has (or by now maybe had) a lot of ammunition in their warehouses (relative to other suppliers) but is slow and sporadic in getting it to the stores and on the shelves.   That's why some other non-ammo items are also strangely out of stock and they have some bare spots on various shelves. 

It shows up randomly but when it arrives its relatively plentiful for a short time.  Obviously that will eventually burn off as they 1) get more drivers back and 2) what they have is distributed and scooped up by buyers.  In the meantime, its a matter of checking daily for new arrivals or becoming buddies with the manager and getting a phone call.

Atlantic Firearms just got in a big shipment of Wolf ammo - .223, 9mm and 7.72x39 - cheap steel stuff but they have it.  Flat fee $18 shipping.

For some reason they have their ammo link hidden under "parts and accessories", but if you're in a jam and need something to shoot, it's there.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/taxons/ammo?criteria[availability]=in_stock

As of 3:41 this afternoon,  the Federal Website (federalpremium.com) has American Eagle 9mm 115 gr & 124 gr fmj available @ $18.99/box of 50, plus tax. No shipping if your order is over $99. Otherwise $12 shipping. 
They have some Hydroshocks available too.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

As of 3:41 this afternoon,  the Federal Website (federalpremium.com) has American Eagle 9mm 115 gr & 124 gr fmj available @ $18.99/box of 50, plus tax. No shipping if your order is over $99. Otherwise $12 shipping. 

Order placed - many thanks!

That pricing is robbery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A friend asked me to post pics of some guns he needs to sell to get opinions on what they're worth. I don't know anything about them except they were his Dad's, he now owns them, and needs to sell them. Is this the place to do that or is there another thread? I'm not a big gun guy so any input would be appreciated.

A friend asked me to post pics of some guns he needs to sell to get opinions on what they're worth. I don't know anything about them except they were his Dad's, he now owns them, and needs to sell them. Is this the place to do that or is there another thread? I'm not a big gun guy so any input would be appreciated.
Fuck yes

Went out to the range today and finally put some through the "new" (I got it just before the lockdowns and such started) G43x.  I think I like my Sig better, but it's fine.  The Sig is full size though, so it's probably just a matter of getting comfortable, and 25 rounds just isn't enough.  The range was only allowing 50 rounds of 9mm per customer, so the wife and I only had 100 between us.  Scorpion still works, 22 is still fun to blaze away with.

Masks + ear pro + eye pro = fucking shitty hot

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Okie State said:

This is what he sent me. I think he has some interested parties and just wants to make sure he's not getting ripped off.

I think there are more to come.3798c71917d929ff2256d0cb6c1c3030.jpg3eba3c6da7fde5474c02c707d9d5ea45.jpgbdf8b48b2b6e5457f3f88a253013bfd5.jpga4737d15038f0865579ac87b14d48fc2.jpg3ea6a7d99517618a92f0c3356049be6c.jpg8df93130c77c3f88e855257654d95f8b.jpg

If he has offers, look up the models on Gunbroker.com and see what similar pieces have for current bids.  There are more precise way to value but that’s a 5 minute spot check 

• Like 1

Of everything pictured that Sig piston 556-variant will be the most valuable. If it’s a complete sig piston ar that isn’t the 516, he could probably get $1500

The stag ar15 next $900+

The beretta storm would probably be about $450-600 depending on condition and the likes.

Those are today’s market prices... meaning last year it’s probably be 25-50% less valuable at times.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Of everything pictured that Sig piston 556-variant will be the most valuable. If it’s a complete sig piston ar that isn’t the 516, he could probably get $1500

The stag ar15 next $900+

The beretta storm would probably be about $450-600 depending on condition and the likes.

Those are today’s market prices... meaning last year it’s probably be 25-50% less valuable at times.

That PX4 is a Sub-Compact.  They run a little less than the Compact or Full size

• Like 1