The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

4 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Olight is having their annual sale deal if anyone is interested in a weapon (or handheld) light at a decent discount.

Ordered a Balder Mini for my PMR30.

I ordered the

https://www.olightstore.com/baldr-pro.html

which should pair nicely with my P226, G22 or G30.

Looks like this has great reviews on Youtube and Amazon.

• Like 1

OK, chalk up another convert to the "dark side".  I gotz me another one.  Neighbor and friend, daughters roughly the same ago.  Transplants from up north.  Corporate RELO, etc.  SO a few years into knowing each other he opens up about all this insanity and wants to buy & learn to shoot.  So I smile like the Chesire Cat and say..."oh really" at my house one night and show him the gun safe.  He just grins back

So took him to the Frisco Gun Club.  Took my little P365 I'm breaking in and we rent him a S&W M&P Shield EZ - no 9mm ammo left anywhere in the building.  So we saddled up with his little .380 and a few boxes of ammo.  Honestly, good first gun to practice with.  He was hooked.  Practiced loading/unloading/clearing.  Barrel and trigger discipline.  He did well.  Worked on his grip and a few other things and he was on paper every time after that and grouping decently well.  Dude had a smile on his face a mile wide!  Went back, bought two more boxes before we had to leave.  

Do now the conversation goes to going back every week.  Storing it at my house until he can convince his wife.  Now his daughter wants to go with him and my daughter shoots all the time.  I love it!  Maybe my favorite part of shooting - introducing a novice and seeing that smile and excitement.  Nothing like it.  We might even double-date, as my wife like to shoot also.  

ryan-reynolds.gif?w=480&zoom=2

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

OK, chalk up another convert to the "dark side".  I gotz me another one.  Neighbor and friend, daughters roughly the same ago.  Transplants from up north.  Corporate RELO, etc.  SO a few years into knowing each other he opens up about all this insanity and wants to buy & learn to shoot.  So I smile like the Chesire Cat and say..."oh really" at my house one night and show him the gun safe.  He just grins back

So took him to the Frisco Gun Club.  Took my little P365 I'm breaking in and we rent him a S&W M&P Shield EZ - no 9mm ammo left anywhere in the building.  So we saddled up with his little .380 and a few boxes of ammo.  Honestly, good first gun to practice with.  He was hooked.  Practiced loading/unloading/clearing.  Barrel and trigger discipline.  He did well.  Worked on his grip and a few other things and he was on paper every time after that and grouping decently well.  Dude had a smile on his face a mile wide!  Went back, bought two more boxes before we had to leave.  

Do now the conversation goes to going back every week.  Storing it at my house until he can convince his wife.  Now his daughter wants to go with him and my daughter shoots all the time.  I love it!  Maybe my favorite part of shooting - introducing a novice and seeing that smile and excitement.  Nothing like it.  We might even double-date, as my wife like to shoot also.  

good the simpsons GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

@BabaYaga Convince his wife???

I.. well good I mean, good on you but....

ShameAdobeStock_0.jpeg.00bc7c889172794122e94bb5f679faf8.jpeg

Haha, yeah she never grew up with any exposure to anything firearm related.  She's understandably nervous about "a gun" in the house.  So exposure it shall be.  Her and my wife are friends and both daughters are eager to shoot. so it's a matter of time.  

I'm not all that good with a pistol, but I can't imagine how satisfying instructing new shooters would be.  I do love taking friends to the ranch, let them shoot their first deer, stay up all night drinking and laughing and just reveling in the moment.  Or people that have never been around firearms.  My kids are the same.  Son's first deer was magical.  I just love showing people a little part of what it meant to grow up in Texas and how special that really is.  Never it take it for granted gentlemen.  Not ever.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

I dig and agree. I really enjoy helping teach folks and helping educate open minded people that are interested in learning to shoot better or learn to shoot. 

I won't politic but there is a lot of fear removed once some actually learns about guns and that with 4 simple rules and some inexpensive safety measures implemented in the home the risk of unwanted bad things happening is vastly reduced and debatably all but removed.

Also, movies don't help by installing a false idea of what shooting a pistol is like.

100%.  It's just a familiarity issue for the VAST majority.  I also think the newbies that can check their ego are among the most safe type of owner.  They don't take things for granted and follow a prescribed safety process each time.  They respect the firearm and are rarely cavalier with it or leave it out for kids to find, etc.  They recognize it's more than "just the gun" - it's a series of events, from a way to properly store it.  To time spend practicing with and gaining the needed proficiency, to even carrying it daily if they so desire. 

The analogy I have seen that I really like to use and express as a mindset is that it's not a sword, it's a shield.  

100%.  It's just a familiarity issue for the VAST majority.  I also think the newbies that can check their ego are among the most safe type of owner.  They don't take things for granted and follow a prescribed safety process each time.  They respect the firearm and are rarely cavalier with it or leave it out for kids to find, etc.  They recognize it's more than "just the gun" - it's a series of events, from a way to properly store it.  To time spend practicing with and gaining the needed proficiency, to even carrying it daily if they so desire. 
The analogy I have seen that I really like to use and express as a mindset is that it's not a sword, it's a shield.  

Yup. I also have issues with gun owners hoarding ammo who do not store their arsenal in a fire resistant safe.

A house fire could make their hood a war zone that takes out some neighbors and firemen. So I totally agree with your post, but it far more than learning about how to safely point and store the weapon itself.

7 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Yup. I also have issues with gun owners hoarding ammo who do not store their arsenal in a fire resistant safe.

A house fire could make their hood a war zone that takes out some neighbors and firemen. So I totally agree with your post, but it far more than learning about how to safely point and store the weapon itself.

As posted above, that is largely a myth about ammunition "cooking off".  The concern from the fire department are chambered weapons cooking off and firing.  This is an issue.  

For context, friend had 15K+ rounds of .223 at his hunting lease.  Lightning struck the trailer and it went up in flames.  Most of the military ammo cans were barely dented from rounds inside them.  The chamber of a firearm is what contains and focuses the gas expansion from the powder.  Outside of such containment, they are little more than firecrackers.

FIL retired from the Dallas FD after 34 years.  Spent many years in Pleasant Grove - which if you know the area, aint all that pleasant.  Stations surrounded by a cement wall.  Walking my son for his retirement party around and he picks up something to show me.  It was a .45acp round.  Gang members think it funny to throw rounds over the wall and into the smokers and fire pit.  Said it happens rather frequently, startles people, but does zero damage.  

18 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

good shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

As posted above, that is largely a myth about ammunition "cooking off".  The concern from the fire department are chambered weapons cooking off and firing.  This is an issue.  

For context, friend had 15K+ rounds of .223 at his hunting lease.  Lightning struck the trailer and it went up in flames.  Most of the military ammo cans were barely dented from rounds inside them.  The chamber of a firearm is what contains and focuses the gas expansion from the powder.  Outside of such containment, they are little more than firecrackers.

FIL retired from the Dallas FD after 34 years.  Spent many years in Pleasant Grove - which if you know the area, aint all that pleasant.  Stations surrounded by a cement wall.  Walking my son for his retirement party around and he picks up something to show me.  It was a .45acp round.  Gang members think it funny to throw rounds over the wall and into the smokers and fire pit.  Said it happens rather frequently, startles people, but does zero damage.  

No fucking shit, that place is scary.

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

No fucking shit, that place is scary.

So his crew bought him one of those big metal Longhorn statues as a joke.  About the size of a small pony.  So to move it, we had to use my truck.  Made of some hollow, soft metal so they didn't want to lay it on it's side.  So it's ratchet-strapped down upright and covered with packing blankets to protect the side of the truck and rear window.  Two kids in car seats, going sup-slow in the Grove.

Two tricked out cars, one shimmering purple and one canary yellow with Lambo doors, BLARING rap music.  They start circling us.  Going round and round and pointing and laughing at this giant metal cow tied down in the back of a truck as I limp along with my hazards on.  One guy, while driving flips up the lambo door and points at us and laughs up along side us....then they speed off.  Fun times.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So his crew bought him one of those big metal Longhorn statues as a joke.  About the size of a small pony.  So to move it, we had to use my truck.  Made of some hollow, soft metal so they didn't want to lay it on it's side.  So it's ratchet-strapped down upright and covered with packing blankets to protect the side of the truck and rear window.  Two kids in car seats, going sup-slow in the Grove.

Two tricked out cars, one shimmering purple and one canary yellow with Lambo doors, BLARING rap music.  They start circling us.  Going round and round and pointing and laughing at this giant metal cow tied down in the back of a truck as I limp along with my hazards on.  One guy, while driving flips up the lambo door and points at us and laughs up along side us....then they speed off.  Fun times.  

Losers GIF by memecandyi just think of them laughing at ya like this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, davidg said:

I’ve seen pictures with gun safes half full with boxes of ammo.  I don’t why you would want to lock up your ammo. am I alone in this?

Well hey, ammo is almost worth as much as the guns these days.

keep most of mine locked in a closet, but loaded guns & mags are handy.

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Shit!  That is cool!   You don;t mean to tell me that the guy who sold me the fireproof gun safe was not 100% accurate??

Still good to other items you want to protect.  Pictures, documents, etc.  Mine is rated, but not all that long (Costco brand).  Top shelf in the closet houses most of the boxes of ammo these days.

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Still good to other items you want to protect.  Pictures, documents, etc.  Mine is rated, but not all that long (Costco brand).  Top shelf in the closet houses most of the boxes of ammo these days.

Oh, that is true.  But I was given a lockable gun safe by a neighbor, and I can now store my ammo in there.  You just freed up a lot of room in my fire resistant safe for  - guns. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking for some direction from the pro's on this thread.  Are there a few websites that are preferred for purchasing a gun online and having it shipped to your local FFL?  Advantages I would be looking for are inventory choices and discounts/prices.  What is the local go to purchasing spot?  Thanks for the input!

Got back into Sporting Clays recently, so I decided to pick up a Beretta A400 Excel so I could look the part at least. Shooting this thing is so much better than the 30 year old Winchester 1300 I’ve always shot with. 100 rounds through it and it looked like I had been kicked by a mule.

17 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Looking for some direction from the pro's on this thread.  Are there a few websites that are preferred for purchasing a gun online and having it shipped to your local FFL?  Advantages I would be looking for are inventory choices and discounts/prices.  What is the local go to purchasing spot?  Thanks for the input!

I've bought lately from PSA, Ables, and Grabagun. All good purchases. Just depends what you want. 

Buying through Academy and Bass Pro and other big box stores is also fine, except you have to go to the store itself to do the transfer and that can be a clusterfuck sometimes if the store is crowded or run by stupid people, but generally haven't had too much trouble personally. 

• Hook 'Em 2

You know there are a couple of posters on Surly that are Grove Rats right?
I don't know any of them but.. just sayin'

Used to run around in the grove as a kid. Went to st. Augustine for 4th-8th grade in the late 80s early 90s.

Lived in the Hutch though.

It looked tougher than it was in a lot of places but there were certain blocks you just didn’t drive through at night.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:23 AM, bigshark88 said:

Olight is having their annual sale deal if anyone is interested in a weapon (or handheld) light at a decent discount.

Ordered a Balder Mini for my PMR30.

On 8/16/2020 at 1:49 PM, 4th and 5 said:

I ordered the

https://www.olightstore.com/baldr-pro.html

which should pair nicely with my P226, G22 or G30.

Looks like this has great reviews on Youtube and Amazon.

I received this light yesterday. Really bright beam and the green laser is awesome.