The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Mine came a couple of days ago.  I mounted it on my PMR30 for nighttime armadillo eradication.  This is my first weapon mounted laser so I am not sure how to compare it to anything else.  Too hot here to go out shooting.  But I aligned the beam with the iron sights while sitting in the garage.  It seems very nice.  

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

Mine came a couple of days ago.  I mounted it on my PMR30 for nighttime armadillo eradication.  This is my first weapon mounted laser so I am not sure how to compare it to anything else.  Too hot here to go out shooting.  But I aligned the beam with the iron sights while sitting in the garage.  It seems very nice.  

How do you like the PMR 30? I watched some videos on it, it looks like a blast. But I'm a Ruger Mark 2 fanboi who is afraid that if I bought the PMR 30 I might like it more

There is a guy who wants to buy a MK 23 pistol, and he wants to know if there any place to get it cheaper online.

Used ones are still pushing $2k if they are in good shape. I saw some earlier in the year in the $1400-$1800 range. I bit the bullet and bought a new one but it wasn’t for lack of trying to find the cheapest one possible.

PMR30 is really fun and unique for plinking and pest elimination. It's weird that there's a huge report and fireball with no recoil. It's not a jammer but it will choke occasionally. Buy the mag loader if you get one - it's worth every penny when working with the magazines and the rimfire ammo.

recent gun auction not too far away in VA: https://rasmus.com/auctions/fQqG5HASDTPKm6kPcUOX/a/M30401-Sportsmen-Estate-Tools-Equip-Home-and-Hunting---Hume--VA

Just seems like people bid up to the cost of the value new or even beyond the estimated value.  Here's another one for Friday:

https://rasmus.com/auctions/OUNUFZtdvoafhfq7p7jc/a/Q796---Sportsman-Auction-Falls-Church--VA-22046  

Keep in mind there's also a 23% buyers premium for the purchase as well as transfer fees.  

Edited by Mdhorn

Another couple hundred rounds of Federal 9mm arrived.  Like Xmas morning.  The irony is that's maybe 60-90 minutes of trigger time.  Back when I first got my 1911, I burned through close to a thousand rounds in one setting to see how she'd run out of the box.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, speaking of paying stupid prices, 2 weeks ago I ordered 300 rounds of AE 9mm 124 gr. fmj range ammo directly from Federal at their jacked up double price of $18.99/box of 50 plus tax - free shipping for orders over $99. Website said 12-15 day delay before shipping and a notification email would be sent when it shipped. Didn’t really need it (already have 1,000+ rounds of 9mm), but am not a reloader, don’t shoot much any more, and don’t really care. Just did it on a whim.

Have been patiently waiting for the email, but nothing so far.

Went out the front door this morning to sweep the entryway and lo & behold, sitting in plain view of the street was the box. We had run one 30 minute errand yesterday and came in through the garage without checking the front door entry. Had no reason to though, or so I thought.

Too bad for the porch pirates that they apparently took Thursday night off.

BA405889-5109-49BA-A80A-809235E713F3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/26/2020 at 7:00 PM, Lat22 said:

I suddenly have a new appreciation for the 5.56 round. 

That kid can fucking shoot.

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Another couple hundred rounds of Federal 9mm arrived.  Like Xmas morning.  The irony is that's maybe 60-90 minutes of trigger time.  Back when I first got my 1911, I burned through close to a thousand rounds in one setting to see how she'd run out of the box.  

I'm really glad that I have my lever action, takes more time to go through ammo.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

That kid can fucking shoot.

I'm really glad that I have my lever action, takes more time to go through ammo.

As a 12 year old kid, I went through an entire brick of .22 lr  one day with a single shot Winchester Model 67a  while just messing around in the woods near my grandma’s house. Lot of little birds went missing that day, as did some glass insulators up on the country road telephone poles. I was a thoughtless little shit.

• Like 1

Fuck. That.

I walk in academy 3-4 days a week around 10am and see what they got. Sometimes they got stuff, sometimes they don’t.

Ammo is not that hard to find. Yes, some of it is overpriced but you can find stuff that’s still digestible price wise.

Ammoseek is way better than gunbot. There is no contest.

Academy, bass pro shop, and cabelas have the best pricing.

Set alerts everywhere (like Natchez) and you will get an email. Purchase immediately.

Avoid all local gun stores for ammo. They do t have any and if they do it’s way overpriced.

Academy gets their shipments (supposedly) M, W, F. I have had good luck on T and Th too.

Zincpoint for 300bo. If out, wait a few days. They do 5.56 too. Ive bought from them.

Don’t buy from federal website. That’s for suckers.

If you need an AR in Austin I can tell you where to go that ALWAYS has a really good selection.

Stop freaking out and just relax. Ammo is out there. Tight yes. But if you follow my 9 step plan above you too can have 3000 rounds of ammo in the next 3 weeks at marginally increased prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Fuck. That.

I walk in academy 3-4 days a week around 10am and see what they got. Sometimes they got stuff, sometimes they don’t.

That's why I was there. 

Ammo is not that hard to find. Yes, some of it is overpriced but you can find stuff that’s still digestible price wise.

It's been difficult to find for me unless I want to pay $1 per round (I don't).

Ammoseek is way better than gunbot. There is no contest.

Gunbot has never worked for me.  I use Ammoseek daily.

Academy, bass pro shop, and cabelas have the best pricing.

Yes, that's why I was at Academy.  Bass Pro and Cabelas are always out of stock. Same with Scheels

Set alerts everywhere (like Natchez) and you will get an email. Purchase immediately.

Natchez is new I will give it a try but have alerts set at several other places.

Avoid all local gun stores for ammo. They do t have any and if they do it’s way overpriced.

Correct answer is correct.

Academy gets their shipments (supposedly) M, W, F. I have had good luck on T and Th too.

Friday shipment was lite.

Zincpoint for 300bo. If out, wait a few days. They do 5.56 too. Ive bought from them.

Okay, I have added this to the list.

Don’t buy from federal website. That’s for suckers.

Too late

If you need an AR in Austin I can tell you where to go that ALWAYS has a really good selection.

In the DFW.

Stop freaking out and just relax. Ammo is out there. Tight yes. But if you follow my 9 step plan above you too can have 3000 rounds of ammo in the next 3 weeks at marginally increased prices.

Not freaking out.  Just getting tired of no luck online, finding ammo but its $1 per round, and then just never in stock at Academy.

Thanks so much for the information.  I am just not use to the ammo shortage but will follow this guide.

My response was not directed to you. Just in general. Apologies if it came across that way.

For the record, I think Academy is sandbagging ammo on delivery days (mwf) and putting out on Tuesday and Thursday to keep people like my from buying it up.

When my first son was born in 1968, I bought him a new Ruger 10/22 which he still has in mint condition. Same for #2 son in 1971. Son #3 (Born 1972) didn’t get his 10/22 until 1975. It is still in nice condition with 100% metal, but several nicks in the walnut stock. It has no more  than 50 total rounds through it.

C88E5B2F-88AE-42D3-A3BD-64995EC00F12.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Handcruser said:

My response was not directed to you. Just in general. Apologies if it came across that way.

For the record, I think Academy is sandbagging ammo on delivery days (mwf) and putting out on Tuesday and Thursday to keep people like my from buying it up.

No apologies necessary.  I always appreciate any tips that anyone has to share.  

They could be sandbagging.  I was able to get quite a haul from them on the 21st but then nothing yesterday.

I have a new Ruger SR9, a new Ruger PC Carbine, and a Kahr CW9 that have yet to be fired (Outside the factory) for function check, so 100 each of this should suffice, plus some of the jhp HST & Gold Dots.

I love my SR9. Only hiccup was one box of bad cheap, underpowered fmj during the shortage before this one. I like to run Lawman 9mm thru it at the range. It loves Gold Dots, so not even looking to switch. If I place 17 rounds correctly I’ll be safe.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

When my first son was born in 1968, I bought him a new Ruger 10/22 which he still has in mint condition. Same for #2 son in 1971. Son #3 (Born 1972) didn’t get his 10/22 until 1975. It is still in nice condition with 100% metal, but several nicks in the walnut stock. It has no more  than 50 total rounds through it.

C88E5B2F-88AE-42D3-A3BD-64995EC00F12.jpeg

Excellent gun - That was my first gun. My parents gave that to me for Christmas when I was 10. We had a massive freeze that year and I emptied the magazine at least 10 times into the iced over creek at the ranch.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://apnews.com/189c9e55f44c81570c7a5ab207c6a9ee

"Voters in Clatsop County will decide whether to prohibit county resources from being used to enforce any local, state and federal law or regulation that restricts the right to keep and bear firearms, accessories or ammunition, The Astorian reported."

If this pass I might need to go check this out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the S&W 1076 10mm ?

S&W 1076 10mm

That was the FBI model of the 10 series. They didn’t make many in the early 90’s and to have one NIB is rare.   That’s a collector gun and not a shooter.

The FBI dropped it due to shoot-ability issues and thus the 10mm-lite .40s&w was born.

High desirability among 10mm collectors in that condition as literally NIB ... especially the 1076 due to it being made in a government contract.

Buy now price doesn’t surprise me.  It’ll sell for 75%to80% of that probably.

Somebody with a collection For which this would fill a hole will buy it for pretty close to that price.... but not for a shooter. 

46 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

That was the FBI model of the 10 series. They didn’t make many in the early 90’s and to have one NIB is rare.   That’s a collector gun and not a shooter.

The FBI dropped it due to shoot-ability issues and thus the 10mm-lite .40s&w was born.

High desirability among 10mm collectors in that condition as literally NIB ... especially the 1076 due to it being made in a government contract.

Buy now price doesn’t surprise me.  It’ll sell for 75%to80% of that probably.

Somebody with a collection For which this would fill a hole will buy it for pretty close to that price.... but not for a shooter. 

I did know about it being the FBI model.  I was asking because I saw one at a gun show a few years ago.  It wasn't NIB.  I think the guy was asking around $300.  I just liked the look of it and wish I had bought the used one.  I absolutely would want to take it to the range so the price is not something that I would pay however if I run across another used one I just might buy it.  Thanks for your information.

9 hours ago, TexasGary said:

I did know about it being the FBI model.  I was asking because I saw one at a gun show a few years ago.  It wasn't NIB.  I think the guy was asking around $300.  I just liked the look of it and wish I had bought the used one.  I absolutely would want to take it to the range so the price is not something that I would pay however if I run across another used one I just might buy it.  Thanks for your information.

Damn - $300 would have been a steal even for a well worn shooter....hell, that's HiPoint pricing in today's market.

But......If you are like me, most of the time when I recall something as being  "a few years ago", someone corrects me and says, "You mean 2002 right?".

Maybe / maybe not??????  Deals are there to be had at many shows.

They were very affordable some years back when the 10mm was abandoned by most shooters.  Ammo was expensive and it was considered to be a dead cartridge by all but the Jeff Cooper disciples.  Plenty of surplus / turn in's hit the market but in reality, it was a relatively small pool because the production run only lasted a few years. 

I'm a 10mm whore and have some I shoot / hunt with, and some I collect.  I watch all the auctions - Both Gunbroker and the real auction houses.  Even a used 1066 will sell for well north of $1000 today.  1076 always have a premium.  Grab one if you can. 

10 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Only the Federal government would falsely claim "stopping power" was the issue with the 9mm when it was shot placement issues. Get, what is in my opinion the best pistol round created since the 357 mag, the cry about too much recoil and end up with the worst round since, I dunno, 32 acp?  Accountants.. such pussies. 

I'm chuckling reading this because I took so much shit when the .40S&W first came out and was all the rage.  It was the classic 'solution in search of a problem' scenario.  Never saw the need.  Modern 9mm (especially the 147gr, such as Speer Gold Dot) is insanely effective with the added bonus of lower recoil and larger mag capacity.  

I will say a byproduct of the FBI tests that was a positive were the ballistic penetration tests - tests that confirmed it's penetration that is important.  Rendering overnight all these frangible and semi-frangible round conversations moot.  I still cite in the interior wall studies when people talk about home defense platforms, someone mentions shotgun/#00 buck, etc.  

Few years back I still spent some trigger time in Florence, AL with their SWAT team.  Had a few FBI HRT boys there.  whew.....say what you will about the pencil-pushers, but HRT is made up of Tier I operators that constantly train with DEVGRU and CAG (Posse Commitatus, etc who can't operate on US soil) and maintain those standards.  Boys are bad!  I didn't get to go in the kill house for obvious reasons, but man, just to be around those guys.  

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Always, forever, watch the very toned midsized loner cats that are quiet and keep their eyes moving very subtly. If they have light calliflour ear, even moreso. Though they'll never tell you, they spent time in North Carolina and usually are the most relaxed and engaged when off the range.

You know, or you don't.

LOL, yep.  Same advice my Dad used to talk about being leery of the guy with a dark tan and a 2-iron in his bag that walks up and casually wants to join your group....maybe a "small" wager or two.