The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I just had to make a change form my Springfield XDS to something else, and I love my Glock 22 so much I decided the everyday should be a Glock too.  The 19 just fits perfect for me.

8f9dec57d1d051af4d0538fffb47e1f4.jpg

I just got an XDS. Not sure how much I’ll carry with it but it’s way smaller than my Sig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

PSA: I bought a YHM Resonator from Capitol Armory that went pending with the ATF on 4/25/20 and it was approved on 9/2/20 and in my hands on 9/14/20. That's less than 5 months to get approved and in hand. Just thought I'd post this for all you heathens that are still shooting unsuppressed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

PSA: I bought a YHM Resonator from Capitol Armory that went pending with the ATF on 4/25/20 and it was approved on 9/2/20 and in my hands on 9/14/20. That's less than 5 months to get approved and in hand. Just thought I'd post this for all you heathens that are still shooting unsuppressed.

Yeah the nfa form 4 times have been trending towards 150ish days pending to approved.

I’m pumped and hope it continues as my Sandman-S went pending 5/26 which mean I “could” have it in time for opening day, I’d like to use the S instead of my K on my .308 pistol.

P320 VTAC in the house.
1 Glock 19 on the way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shot it today. It’s easily the gun I am most accurate with. Hot damn it’s a shooter.

I fed it all of my piecemeal ammo too (a little of this, 9 of those, can’t remember who made these, some Tula junk, etc) and it ate it all.

Super impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Went revolver shopping today, haven’t bought yet. Buying for fun and for if the shit goes down.

S&W 686 - Everybody loves this gun, but that’s a big, big frame. Granted I have short fingers (your mom seemed satisfied, FWIW), but my main issue is that it seems front heavy.

S&W Model 60 - a little too small? Seem pretty ideal for concealed, but it’s light and I bet it jumps like a motherfucker.

Ruger GP100 - I like this revolver. The guy at a McBride’s shit all over Ruger while I was checking this out, and even said nobody has more recalls for safety reasons. I mentioned I had a “new model” Mini-14 5.56 and he said at least that was better than the old ones. I get the impression that this is Ford/Chevy deal for him. 

Colt King Cobra -  Felt the best in my hand and I get like this was the best trigger for me. Also the most expensive.

I’d like to look at a Taurus Judge. I realize it’s not a great gun or super accurate, but it’s cheap and seems like it would be fun to shoot and .410 seems ideal from a social collapse standpoint.

Any experience or strong opinions?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

S&W 686 - Everybody loves this gun, but that’s a big, big frame. Granted I have short fingers (your mom seemed satisfied, FWIW), but my main issue is that it seems front heavy.

I’d like to look at a Taurus Judge. I realize it’s not a great gun or super accurate, but it’s cheap and seems like it would be fun to shoot and .410 seems ideal from a social collapse standpoint.

Don't have and never shot a S&W 686, but many years ago I was gifted a S&W .357 wheel gun with large frame.  I didn't think I would like this gun, but after some range time, I discovered that I just don't miss with that gun.  Zero issues with trigger pull or anything else.  It feels so natural that at times, I think I can hit my target without really looking down the sights.  So the lesson is, don't judge the 686 by how it looks - test it on the range and see how you suits you.

On the .410 and social collapse... Not so much IMO.  Better options out there.  FYI:

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-53-the-taurus-judge-revisited/

Edited by bernorange
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Went revolver shopping today, haven’t bought yet. Buying for fun and for if the shit goes down.

S&W Model 60 - a little too small? Seem pretty ideal for concealed, but it’s light and I bet it jumps like a motherfucker.

Ruger GP100 - I like this revolver. The guy at a McBride’s shit all over Ruger while I was checking this out, and even said nobody has more recalls for safety reasons. I mentioned I had a “new model” Mini-14 5.56 and he said at least that was better than the old ones. I get the impression that this is Ford/Chevy deal for him. 

Colt King Cobra -  Felt the best in my hand and I get like this was the best trigger for me. Also the most expensive.

Personally, I liked the judge personal defender and it’s a great car gun. Your critique is accurate but alternate some long colt and .410  in the chambers and the personal defender tucks away nicely. Best as a backup, I’m a pretty good shot but would need to be with in 5yds or so to be leathal. 

The Ruger is a great gun. You can get some after market trigger work done by a decent gunsmith and they really become comfortable, effective and reliable.

the M60 is a bit small, but once you shoot a few hundred rounds thru it at the range it becomes much more manageable. The only worry I ever had was if/when the time came, I felt like the ‘adrenaline factor’ would be more of an issue.

the K Cobra is a very good gun, if you feel comfortable carrying it, it’s the best imo of your list. They have a great trigger pull and allow you to feel confident. The 686 is a great gun, but yeah it’s heavy. It’s not unmanageable tho and with some time at the range it dials in real well. Personally, I like a little bit more weight as it helps to steady my aim if I’m amped up.  On that note, the Performance Center snub nose .500 is also a high priced, heavy ass gun but a great trigger and lot of fun to shoot once you get the hang of it. It takes a good 1000 rounds to be competent with it and I don’t think I’ve ever spent less than .60 a round. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Glock guys love Glock. I was texting my Dad tonight about this. 
him:

I strongly recommend a large frame 40 calibre Glock. I think 40 is a great middle ground between high capacity 9mm and big bore 45. 

Me:

You have always liked those. I can’t get into semis for some reason. Today I looked at a SW 686 (too big), an SW 60 (too small), a Ruger GP101 (weird trigger), and a colt King Cobra (just right)

need to look at a judge. 

him:

have you considered a Glock .40

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I keep a Judge loaded with Winchester PDX under my pillow. I sleep like a baby.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Glock guys love Glock. I was texting my Dad tonight about this. 
him:

I strongly recommend a large frame 40 calibre Glock. I think 40 is a great middle ground between high capacity 9mm and big bore 45. 

Me:

You have always liked those. I can’t get into semis for some reason. Today I looked at a SW 686 (too big), an SW 60 (too small), a Ruger GP101 (weird trigger), and a colt King Cobra (just right)

need to look at a judge. 

him:

have you considered a Glock .40

Judge is definitely fun to shoot.  My buddy had no issues with his until it was stolen.

13 hours ago, bernorange said:

Don't have and never shot a S&W 686, but many years ago I was gifted a S&W .357 wheel gun with large frame.  I didn't think I would like this gun, but after some range time, I discovered that I just don't miss with that gun.  Zero issues with trigger pull or anything else.  It feels so natural that at times, I think I can hit my target without really looking down the sights.  So the lesson is, don't judge the 686 by how it looks - test it on the range and see how you suits you.

On the .410 and social collapse... Not so much IMO.  Better options out there.  FYI:

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-53-the-taurus-judge-revisited/

That is a really excellent perspective. Thank you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Any salesman who shits on Ruger ain’t worth a shit himself.

But... the 686 Smith and the Ruger GP100 are the two best choices on the market today for new .357 six shooters. However, the older used ones, if not abused,  will be of better fit & finish.

IMO, the best all around & affordable DA .357 sixgun is the Ruger Six Series (Security Six, Service Six, Speed Six) that has been out of production for years. More rugged than the S&W K-frames. Again, I’d opt first for a good condition Ruger Six over the Smith K-frame (which will have a better finish & smoother trigger). But any of those in this discussion are excellent choices. 
My old Smith Model 13 K-frame  is a pretty sweet shooter (owned by oldest son).

Miss my 1975 Security Six (top) now owned by my middle son..

527809EB-182F-42D8-8EF1-EB497BF7BE30.jpeg

B4C7A2A2-98D9-4E7A-ACE3-254851314A94.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Any salesman who shits on Ruger ain’t worth a shit himself.

But... the 686 Smith and the Ruger GP100 are the two best choices on the market today for new .357 six shooters. However, the older used ones, if not abused,  will be of better fit & finish.

IMO, the best all around & affordable DA .357 sixgun is the Ruger Six Series (Security Six, Service Six, Speed Six) that has been out of production for years. More rugged than the S&W K-frames. Again, I’d opt first for a good condition Ruger Six over the Smith K-frame (which will have a better finish & smoother trigger). But any of those in this discussion are excellent choices. 
My old Smith Model 13 K-frame  is a pretty sweet shooter (owned by oldest son).

Miss my 1975 Security Six (top) now owned by my middle son..

527809EB-182F-42D8-8EF1-EB497BF7BE30.jpeg

B4C7A2A2-98D9-4E7A-ACE3-254851314A94.jpeg

Any thoughts on that Colt KC?

Some family heirlooms were passed on to us a few weeks ago.  One set of items was a pair 1911 .45 ACP's.  One is blue steel and the other is nickel plated.  I let my brother pick which one he wanted and he chose the nickel plated.  Last week I started some research on the blue steel 45.  Turns out it was manufactured by Colt in 1913 with a SN tied to the 44001-60400 batch.  The distribution location of the 16,400 batch isn't reported.  The immediate two preceding batches of 100 guns each made in 1913 were sent to the USN-USS New York and USN-USS Texas. 

This one is stamped 'government model' above the SN on the right side.  I believe this came into our family by my paternal grandfather who served in the USCG during WWII and was stationed in Cairo, IL and San Francisco from what I know.  It's possible my great grandfather originally owned this gun, but need to do more family research to find out if he ever had military/govt ties.  We think the nickel plated 1911 was used by our grandfather during his career as a highway patrolman in West Texas post-WWII.  Have to check the SN on that one as well.

Details of interest are the Colt mfg proof stamp "VP" in a triangle on the trigger guard, the rearing colt stallion in this case located in back near the hammer, and the lower case "b" on the trigger guard.  I have no idea what the lower case "b" signifies and haven't found any references to it yet.  It's got the original two-tone metal clip plus two extra clips with the case.  I don't know where the case or extra two clips came from, but I'm guessing probably not a part of the original issue.

17AFC90E-FEF2-4924-AB78-0EBC6EE8DF19

detail pics:

D8D07E59-ED15-4500-8BFB-D21453AB1BC4

EDA93620-309D-48BE-B380-FC83EC8E4AEAACAF4C38-DC68-4356-A5DF-6384B9C68763195E4AD3-F8FC-4C39-92FF-59346B3BFEE9

Edited by triplehorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Glocks are great pistols. Lots of depts carry them. Reliable and easy to take apart and clean. Nothing wrong with them. I have a few and carried a 22 and 27 on duty. Never let me down. I also really love my SW686, colt king cobra and GP100. All are really good handguns. So are sigs & kimbers. Cant go wrong with any of them. More a preference and use thing. Ford vs chevy. Only FTFs wed see is from dirty pistols. Buy a decent brand pistol, use good clean ammo and always keep the gun clean.
Concealed carry go with a smaller pistol like the smaller glocks. Any thing else like hip carry on a ranch or target practice any would do. Id say get what feels best in your hand, not heavy and feels right. Hell, get 1 of each.
Now I concealed carry my sig p365 and love it.
Any of you guys wanna sell your glocks (or any other guns) pm me. Im always looking to add to the collection.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, triplehorn said:

@Armybrat - Thanks.  Been looking around and found -  forum.m1911.org - that takes it there.  Of the two extra clips I have, just realized one goes with the nickel plated 1911 and the other has an 'L' stamped inside the toe, for MS Little, WWI and WWII era magazine manufacturer.

That is the other obvious website that I forgot to mention. Lots of knowledgeable collectors there too. It was the first gun forum I joined 17 years ago.

Edited by Armybrat

28 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Glocks are ugly as shit, have shitty factory triggers, and feel like ass. I’m gonna say most depts carry them because they are pretty cheap. Yes they are pretty reliable. They are the ak of the pistol world.

Yep, my cop nephew (now retired after 30 years service) has several of them - .40 and 9mm. His wife carries a 42.

Just ordered a camo Benelli M2 for duck / dove / turkey use.

It's early teal season here. Went out on some local public water Saturday morning. Light was coming up five minutes before shooting time I went to load up and found that my 20YO Remington 1187 was locked up.

What are the other Surlys using for 12ga hunting auto loaders?

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

It's early teal season here. Went out on some local public water Saturday morning. Light was coming up five minutes before shooting time I went to load up and found that my 20YO Remington 1187 was locked up.

@Llano Estacado has a 20ga benelli M2 (iirc) that is an absolute joy to shoot.  One of the most natural swinging guns for me.  I've shot quite a bit with a buddies A400 (clays and dove) and like it as well.  I don't do autoloaders, so that's all I've got.    One of these days I'll probably pick up a little 20 auto, it's just way down the list.  Hopefully you can get the 1187 back in order for a backup.

On 9/19/2020 at 9:15 PM, triplehorn said:

@Armybrat - Thanks.  Been looking around and found -  forum.m1911.org - that takes it there.  Of the two extra clips I have, just realized one goes with the nickel plated 1911 and the other has an 'L' stamped inside the toe, for MS Little, WWI and WWII era magazine manufacturer.

That’s twice, neg cannon spooling up.

I also really love my .. GP100.

Now I concealed carry my sig p365 and love it.

I love my GP100 in .327. And while I carry an LCP Gen 1 everywhere, my other conceal carry is a Sig 320c in .45.

I’d take a Sig over a Glock almost always. But individual feel and preference is why it is fun to shoot them all and change as needed.
  • Like 1

I have a few for sale in anyone is interested. Face to face, Centex area.

Remington 1187 synthetic, 12ga, new in box never fired $500

Remington 870 express synthetic, 12ga, new in box never fired $275

Glock 43, one mag, no box, like new, barely fired $425

Glock 26, one mag, rough slide, flawless function $275

9 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

But were the birds moving?

10 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Super Black Eagle II

Following up on the post about the 1911 above, after some more learning, turns out both 1911's have serial numbers preceded by "C" indicating commercial production, not military issue.  Based on that, it shifts the production year of the one pictured above to a 1916 made "Government Model" instead of 1913 military issue.  The nickel plated one was manufactured in 1925.  pics of the 1925 pistol:

F4E1F63B-3C60-433D-A361-F888DC5A1A01727F6600-93D9-4EF0-8D14-E29F6A6B3897

I now know these guns were not owned at any time by my great grandfather, who died in 1908, right after my grandfather was born.  Found this :  He was shot to death by the bartender Walter James at the "Board of Trade Saloon" in Ft. Worth on 20 May 1908 at the age of 38. During his life he had killed about 6 people but never served time in the penitentiary. He left behind a widow and two small children. 

So these two 1911's were acquired and used by my grandfather.  I did find this out about his service and work history from his obituary:

He was born Feb. 8th 1908 at Forth Worth and was reared there and at Amarillo.  He joined the Texas Department of Public Safety in 1930, serving in the South Texas and Pecos districts.  He assisted in the search for Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker.  After World War II service in the U.S. Coast Guard, he took retirement from the DPS in 1950. 

After that, in 1950 he was briefly employed in Saudi Arabia by Aramco before returning to live out his life Midland.  I knew him in early childhood, but he suffered for a long time from emphysema and died prematurely.

I'm just grateful to have this piece of family history.  I'll be forwarding my brother the proper magazine belonging to 1925 Colt.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 9/18/2020 at 3:54 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

This guy is a shit-bag.  Of the ones mentioned, it costs the least.  He's gaming you to spend more.  GP100 is a solid piece.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, triplehorn said:

Following up on the post about the 1911 above, after some more learning, turns out both 1911's have serial numbers preceded by "C" indicating commercial production, not military issue.  Based on that, it shifts the production year of the one pictured above to a 1916 made "Government Model" instead of 1913 military issue.  The nickel plated one was manufactured in 1925.  pics of the 1925 pistol:

I now know these guns were not owned at any time by my great grandfather, who died in 1908, right after my grandfather was born.  Found this :  He was shot to death by the bartender Walter James at the "Board of Trade Saloon" in Ft. Worth on 20 May 1908 at the age of 38. During his life he had killed about 6 people but never served time in the penitentiary. He left behind a widow and two small children. 

So these two 1911's were acquired and used by my grandfather.  I did find this out about his service and work history from his obituary:

He was born Feb. 8th 1908 at Forth Worth and was reared there and at Amarillo.  He joined the Texas Department of Public Safety in 1930, serving in the South Texas and Pecos districts.  He assisted in the search for Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker.  After World War II service in the U.S. Coast Guard, he took retirement from the DPS in 1950. 

After that, in 1950 he was briefly employed in Saudi Arabia by Aramco before returning to live out his life Midland.  I knew him in early childhood, but he suffered for a long time from emphysema and died prematurely.

I'm just grateful to have this piece of family history.  I'll be forwarding my brother the proper magazine belonging to 1925 Colt.

Nice photos--looks like I'm looking at crime scene weapons.  If a certain photographer I won't name took these picts, they could be hanging in a museum.  They're good because of the little details on a shiny, smooth reflective surface, contrasting the background.  Beautiful gun.