The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

13 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

Never spending another dime at McBrides. Horrible customer service

I’ve had one good experience with them (with my Remington) and 5-6 awful ones. I really want to like the place because the location is convenient but maybe I’m just not McBrides people.

7 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I haven’t darkened their doorway since the Bush Administration.

What’s your go-to up in Georgetown?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Haven’t been to one in G-town.

There’s a little shop on 620 by Brushy Creek west of Round Rock that is good to deal with.... Saddlerock Armory - on the second floor in a small commercial building next to the Cornerwood Shell station. Run by a young couple since they opened several years ago.
Prices are not bad, and they will deal. Looked at their website recently and noticed their inventory is very low. But they can order stuff and won’t screw you on the transfer like GT Distributors.

Edited by Armybrat

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah he sucks. @BabaYaga What do you think of the Colt King Cobra? It’s that or the Ruger. I liked everything about the Ruger but the trigger. I liked everything about the Colt but the price. 

I'd still go with the Ruger, and as mentioned spend the saved money on practice and classes.  If you want, you can have a smith bead/sand blast the frame and re-coat to smooth it out or drop in a lighter trigger.   Stock/factory triggers are often heavier by design (intent is they thought to be safer).  

• Hook 'Em 2

I'd still go with the Ruger, and as mentioned spend the saved money on practice and classes.  If you want, you can have a smith bead/sand blast the frame and re-coat to smooth it out or drop in a lighter trigger.   Stock/factory triggers are often heavier by design (intent is they thought to be safer).  

Also Ruger can handle many more hot loads without shooting loose if that means anything to you.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:01 PM, bigshark88 said:

Just ordered a camo Benelli M2 for duck / dove / turkey use.

It's early teal season here. Went out on some local public water Saturday morning. Light was coming up five minutes before shooting time I went to load up and found that my 20YO Remington 1187 was locked up.

What are the other Surlys using for 12ga hunting auto loaders?

I prefer Berettas but have many friends that shoot Benelli (Beretta owns Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger and others)

I've had a Beretta A391 Xtrema II for about 12 years now.  They have been replaced with newer models like the A400 Xtreme Plus since then.  Doing it today I would probably stick with a 3" model, I never shoot 3.5" shells and go with the Beretta A300.  Also likely to just get black instead of coated.image.thumb.png.792e10055983ffd54aae1b6f47ab62e3.png

RIP Daisy

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I prefer Berettas but have many friends that shoot Benelli (Beretta owns Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger and others)

I've had a Beretta A391 Xtrema II for about 12 years now.  They have been replaced with newer models like the A400 Xtreme Plus since then.  Doing it today I would probably stick with a 3" model, I never shoot 3.5" shells and go with the Beretta A300.  Also likely to just get black instead of coated.image.thumb.png.792e10055983ffd54aae1b6f47ab62e3.png

RIP Daisy

Pos rep'd for old hunting dogs, old coolers, and Coors mutha'-fukin' yella' bellies!

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Too easy 

BTW, if you go with the Ruger GP, get the 6 rounder. The 7 round version has had a number of complaints that the cylinder is just a smidge too small, with some brands of ammo rims causing binding issues . That was discussed extensively a couple of years ago on the Ruger boards. I don’t know if that occasional problem has been completely resolved, but the 6 rounders are good to go. Be sure and disassemble the gun to clean it out and maybe stone some of the wear points (not the sear of course) to smooth it out.

The S&W 686 Plus, a 7 round version, does not have that issue.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2020 at 9:15 AM, Armybrat said:

BTW, if you go with the Ruger GP, get the 6 rounder. The 7 round version has had a number of complaints that the cylinder is just a smidge too small, with some brands of ammo rims causing binding issues . That was discussed extensively a couple of years ago on the Ruger boards. I don’t know if that occasional problem has been completely resolved, but the 6 rounders are good to go. Be sure and disassemble the gun to clean it out and maybe stone some of the wear points (not the sear of course) to smooth it out.

The S&W 686 Plus, a 7 round version, does not have that issue.

SP101 has entered the chat. Opinions?

CC: @BabaYaga

Bought my 1st SP in 1993. Nice gun, but the DA trigger is heavy compared to S&W offerings. In single action mode it is ok. Some prefer the 3” or 4.2” versions.
This one resides in my nightstand and also goes on road trips as a car gun with a couple of speed loaders.

2CACCCCA-8080-46D3-8BAD-B1605638D448.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

SP101 has entered the chat. Opinions?

CC: @BabaYaga

I'm somewhat of a fanboy, but I love almost every option Ruger puts out there.  If I could ONLY purchase items from a single manufacturer, it would be a hell of a choice deciding between Ruger and CZ.  With the Remington BK, and Ruger getting Marlin, they are inching into the lead.  I have two Ruger .22lr pistols, two 10/22 rifles, an M77 MKII 22-250 varmint rifle and will picking up a Predator in either .243 or 6.5CM for the boy.  

That being said, as Brat has already opined, they are fine options.  As smaller, possible carry options, the initial stout DA trigger pull is a layman's safety option.  A little tinkering can mitigate this with a trigger job once you are comfortable.  If they don't come with night sights, get that added as well.  They are reliable and easy to clean and will serve you well for decades.  If you are going to primarily use this as a range and home defense option, opt for the longer barrel (easier to shoot well).  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Anyone think if I order an 870 Marine Magnum it'll be a POS given Remington sucking at the gun business again?

New or LEO turn in?

I ordered a couple of turn-ins back when SOG was still in business.  If you aren't set on buying new, I'd look for an older turn-in or used gun for sale.

If you have any quality concerns, all other things being equal I'd lean toward an older version.

Called NFA department yesterday. My suppressor is still pending from 6/13 process date. Lady said average was 10 months now. Go on the NFA tracking websites and forums and guys who processed in May are receiving their stamp notifications over the last few weeks so I’m hopeful the NFA was just feeding me a line to get me to not call for a bit. That being said a guy found some stats on what was processed in the spring and it looked like they only processed 8 forms in all of March. EIGHT. That’s absolutely absurd regardless of pandemic. 

Can’t help be feel that and restriction is an infringement. Hopefully I track to get approval in December and the government lady is just being a lazy government lady. 

Palmetto State Armory's parent company (JJE Holdings) picked up the DPMS, AAC, H&R, Parker, and Stormlake brands in the Remington bankruptcy.

Obviously that means PSA will be in the suppressor business now....may have already been mentioned up-thread.

Of other interest, following the bid, PSA has dropped some hints in various online forums that they intend to bring back the H&R M1 Garand.  

If they do a good job with it, that would be an interesting change in the market place.